Monkey@cruise and Miaminice: need help with this Millenium itinerary

stefanny28

Posted (edited)

Good morning,

Sorry to call you out like this but I have read quite a few Celebrity Millenium Japan cruise roll calls and you always gave such detailed informations that I am taking the lazy way out to plan my cruise.

Instead of doing all the researches, I will just ask the experts (ie. Monkey@cruise and Miaminice) for their suggestions.

We are booked on the Millenium , Seoul to Yokohama, September 23rd- October 5th, 2025. We have been to Tokyo for a land trip before, have also been to Asia (Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, HK ) and DH can read Japanese since he's Chinese ( it helps a lot).

We like to do DIY tours or small private tours. I tried to get a general ideas of things we can do but looking up transportation options in these ports, it's quite a daunting task. If you don't mind, can you give me some pointers.

Here is our itinerary

Sept 23rd    Incheon     (boarding)

Sept 24th    sea

Sept 25th    Jeju Island  (7:00-4:00)

Sept 26th    Nagasaki     (7:00-6:00)

Sept 27th    Kagoshima  (8:00-6:00)

Sept 28th    sea

Sept 29th    Hiroshima    (7:00-5:00)

Sept 30th    Kochi            (10:00-6:00)

Oct 1st        Kyoto (Osaka)  (9:00-

Oct 2nd       Kyoto                 (        - 8:00)

Oct 3rd        sea

Oct 4th        Shimizu        (7:00-6:00)

Oct 5th        Yokohama   

1/ Where does the ship dock exactly in each port?

2/ Is there a free or paid shuttle offered by the ship? If yes, where does the shuttle drop us exactly?

Since this post is getting quite long, I will make a post for each port separately and hopefully Monkey@cruise and/or Miaminice ( or any other expert) can help.

Thank you very much for taking time to reply. I know that you are busy on a cruise and getting on another one soon so I really appreciate it.

Edited by stefanny28

• stefanny28 changed the title to Monkey@cruise and Miaminice: need help with this Millenium itinerary
Posted (edited)

Jeju Island

1/ Where will we dock? Do you happen to know the exact address?

2/ Is there a shuttle (free or paid) offered by the ship? If yes, where will it drop us?

3/ Any particular " not to be missed" attractions or sites?

I started doing some researches for this island but couldn't find much. I wish that we were stopping in Busan instead.

Thanks

Edited by stefanny28

Nagasaki

1/ Is there a shuttle? If yes, where will it drop us?

2/ I narrowed down to these sites: Peace Park, Edomachi District, Chinatown and Glover Garden.

3/ How do we get to these places from the pier?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Kagoshima

1/ Shuttle: I saw that you posted that the ship has a paid shuttle which will drop us at the Waterfront Park parking, close to the Sakurajima Ferry Terminal

2/ Is there a free shuttle that will take us from the Marine Port to Wakida Station?

3/ To go to Tenmonkan area: Wakida station (direction Kagoshimaekimae) to Tenmonkandori Station. How do we buy tickets? At the station? Can IC cards like the Suicac be used here to pay for the train?

4/ How do we go to Sengan-en from Tenmonkandori Station? And back to the ship ? Do we need to go back to Tenmonkandori Station and go the reverse way to get to the ship?

Thanks

Edited by stefanny28

Posted (edited)

Hiroshima

1/ Is Celebrity still using the Hiroshima International Large Cruise SHip Dock or it will be using the Ujina Passenger Terminal? I saw in one of your posts that it switched to Ujina starting August 19th. Is it a permanent move or just temporary?

2/ If we dock at the first place, the shuttle will drop us at Itsukaichi JR Train Station, right?

But is we dock at Ujina, will ther be a shuttle? If yes, where will it drop us?

3/ We want to go to Miyajima. Thanks to your posts, I know that we go from Hiroden- Itsukaichi Station to Hiroden- Miyajimaguchi, then take the ferry. Or from Itsukaichi Staion to Miyajimaguchi Station, then same ferry.

4/ Same question regarding tickets and payment? Buy the tickets at the station? Use Suica card?

5/How do we get to Miyajima if we are docked at Ujina? You mention a high speed ferry option near Ujina. COuld you give me more details?

I don't want to go to the Peace Memorial. I will be too deeply affected and will be crying the whole day. So we are skipping it. Please don't judge me too harshly, please.

Thanks again

Edited by stefanny28

Kyoto (Osaka)

We have 2 days in Osaka so I plan to visit Kyoto on day 1 and stay out late.

Day 2 will probably be spent in Osaka.

1/ Port of Osaka: Tempozan Terminal?

2/Please I know you had mentionned it a thousand time how to go from Osaka port to Kyoto, but could you say that one more time?

3/ How about going to Nara by public transportation? Please advise.

Thank you so much.

Shimizu

1/ Is there a free port shuttle?

If yes, where does it drop us?

2/ What else beside Mt Fuji? We have been there just before the pandemic.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Yokohama

I was able to arrange flight out from Haneda instead of Narita. Our flight is at 9:30pm so we have the whole day to visit Yokohama or the surrounding area.

1/ Where can we leave the luggage?

2/ We are flying with Turkish Airlines. Do they have the option of checking in in advance and send the luggage ahead like in Hong Kong?

3/ How easy is it to go to Kamukura (Kotoku-In)?

Thank you in advance for taking time to help me with this itinerary. 

@stefanny28

Hi there,

wow, that´s a lot of questions 🙂
I am happy to help, but I simply don't have the time to answer all of them in detail.
Maybe @monkey@cruise does. But I think your going to have to do some research yourself as well 😉 and I'm happy to provide our travelogues as help which contain the most answers already.

Japan Millennium 2023
https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2970853-celebrity-millennium-japan-10242023-liveish-report/

Japan Cherry Blossom Cruise HAL Westerdam 2019
https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/HAL-Westerdam-Japan-01/hal-westerdam-japan-01.html

Japan Millennium 2017
https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

When I have some time I can write some short notes to some of your questions, but to make the most of your trip you might want to read up on some things - on the internet, Cruise Critic or our travelogues.

Oliver

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

Yokohama

I was able to arrange flight out from Haneda instead of Narita. Our flight is at 9:30pm so we have the whole day to visit Yokohama or the surrounding area.

1/ Where can we leave the luggage?

Yokohama Osanbashi Pier has a locker
https://osanbashi.jp/en/locker/

2/ We are flying with Turkish Airlines. Do they have the option of checking in in advance and send the luggage ahead like in Hong Kong?

I tend to say no, I have not see anything of the kind in Osanbashi

3/ How easy is it to go to Kamukura (Kotoku-In)?

I´d say easy (see our travelogue). Take a Metro to Yokohama Station and then a JR train to Kamakura. Then walk to the temples or take a bus. Takes apx. 1 1/2 hours

Yokohama Osanbashi Pier has a locker
https://osanbashi.jp/en/locker/

I tend to say no, I have not see anything of the kind in Osanbashi

I´d say easy (see our travelogue). Take a Metro to Yokohama Station and then a JR train to Kamakura. Then walk to the temples or take a bus. Takes apx. 1 1/2 hours

Edited by Miaminice

Shimizu

1/ Is there a free port shuttle?

If yes, where does it drop us?

2/ What else beside Mt Fuji? We have been there just before the pandemic.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

1. Can't remember exactly because we never used it. Maybe to the station...

2. See our latest review...
I also posted this on the Roll Call of our next cruise to help others:

MT FUJI (SHIMIZU), JAPAN
Easy to do!
Taxi or bus to the Nihondaira Ropeway, get a view of Mt. Fuji from the observatory deck, take the ropeway to the BEAUTIFUL Kunōzan Tōshō-gū shrine. Ropeway back the Nihondaira plateau. There´s a tea plantation close by if you want to see that. 
Some tours visit the Miho Pine Grove. It´s nice but really not a must do. 
Return to port. You can walk over to the S-Pulse Dream Plaza / Ferris wheel close to the pier.
Good option for lunch. Get a map of a walking tour and visit two temples recommended on the map. There are free local guides giving you info and tours.
Return to ship.

Guided tours will either take you to the above mentioned places or to places outside of Shimizu. The latter is not necessary because you´d see things further away, but miss the things listed above.

Kochi

I have absolutely no idea what we should do in this port.

Help!!!

KOCHI, JAPAN

Very, very easy to do!

Port shuttle to train station, walk to the little red bridge, through the shopping arcades to Kochi Castle (tram also an option), maybe visit the castle gardens. Stroll over to Hirome Food Market for a typical lunch. There are also restaurants in the arcades. Return to the station/shuttle whenever you are ready.

7 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

Nagasaki

1/ Is there a shuttle? If yes, where will it drop us?

2/ I narrowed down to these sites: Peace Park, Edomachi District, Chinatown and Glover Garden.

3/ How do we get to these places from the pier?

Thanks

NAGASAKI, JAPAN

Very, very easy to do!

- Tram or taxi to Peace Museum

- walk over to Peace Park

- tram halfway back to Chinatown, stroll through Chinatown and maybe up the Dutch Slope,

- very nice Nagasaki Confucius Shrine (Koshi-byo) at the end

- maybe have some of the landmark noodles at the Chanpon Museum/Restaurant (top floor) first

- continue to Glover Garden past the Cathedral

- return to ship - just below the gardens walk

You can also take the ropeway up to the mountain on the other side of the bay, but the sights mentioned above easily fill your day. From the mountain you´d just look down on what I mentioned above.

7 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

Jeju Island

1/ Where will we dock? Do you happen to know the exact address?

2/ Is there a shuttle (free or paid) offered by the ship? If yes, where will it drop us?

3/ Any particular " not to be missed" attractions or sites?

I started doing some researches for this island but couldn't find much. I wish that we were stopping in Busan instead.

Thanks

1. Google Jeju International Ferry terminal

2. Yes, into Jeju City. It will stop at Gwandeokjeong, walking distance to Dongmun market etc.

3. Jeju has some great places to visit. But you´ll need to hire a taxi driver to take you around or book a tour. Taxi drivers at the port will offer to take you around for a negotiated price.

The Lava tubes are very impressive, the Seongsan Ilchulbong aka Sunrise Peak is pretty and offers a nice hike, the Stone Park is interesting etc.

On our last time on Jeju we also skipped the above mentioned spots and also just spent time at the market, had some nice street food snacks there and actually walked back to port to get some exercise to walk off the snacks.

@Miaminice

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes I have read quite a lot on CC, reviews, questions and even roll calls.

It’s just that the informations are all spread out and not conveniently in one thread so I figured if I combine all my questions in one place, it may be easier for me for reference.

Thank you very much again for your replies. I will now read your 3 reviews and add the extra information to what you have written here.

Millions of thanks. I really appreciate it.

@monkey@cruise

I hope that you landed safely and are on the Millennium safe and sound.

I will be waiting for your replies since you always give the most detailed travel information (trains, stations, exact location and invaluable tips).

Have a great time on your cruise ☺️

1 hour ago, stefanny28 said:

@Miaminice

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes I have read quite a lot on CC, reviews, questions and even roll calls.

It’s just that the informations are all spread out and not conveniently in one thread so I figured if I combine all my questions in one place, it may be easier for me for reference.

Thank you very much again for your replies. I will now read your 3 reviews and add the extra information to what you have written here.

Millions of thanks. I really appreciate it.

Suggest that when you find something that is particularly helpful, take a screenshot of it.  Create an album on your phone/tablet/computer so you can easily locate it.  If you like hard copy, print it out.  EM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Suggest that when you find something that is particularly helpful, take a screenshot of it.  Create an album on your phone/tablet/computer so you can easily locate it.  If you like hard copy, print it out.  EM

@stefanny28  I agree with @Essiesmom Screenshots or use a word processor / notepad and copy/paste useful information into that.  There are a lot of live reviews of the ports your were asking about and a vast majority of the questions you are asking have been answered.   

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The problem is I find everything useful so I have like zillions of screenshots 🙂

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@stefanny28  I agree with @Essiesmom Screenshots or use a word processor / notepad and copy/paste useful information into that.  There are a lot of live reviews of the ports your were asking about and a vast majority of the questions you are asking have been answered.   

Thanks Dakahuna. I have been reading your review too.

Lots of great information and amazing photos.

Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

The problem is I find everything useful so I have like zillions of screenshots 🙂

So pleased you have so much information already! The snag is when doing a cruise that is going to be port intensive is that you can end up trying to fit in too much and end up ‘missing’ some of the experience by not building in time to ‘stop and stare’. Unfortunately I never got to Japan but have traveled the Far East extensively and you simply need to accept in one trip you can’t do everything!

If I was you I would list some of the things you may have enjoyed/experienced on previous travels (religious buildings, gardens, museums, boat trips, train rides, cultural dining…). You can then decide if there are some things you want to prioritise more (say gardens) and some less (say museums). Then as you go through your masses of screen shots you may find it easier to list things as ‘must do’, ‘would like to do if it fits in’ and ‘would do if it is en route’…Also, when you are in ports where you decide to book a guide you can let them know your ‘must do’s’ then mention some ‘like to do’ things like, perhaps, lunch in a scenic spot…

The reason why Miaminice, Monkey@Cruise and Villauk have had such fantastic holidays is they have personalised them to their own and their families interests. Don’t leave yourself out of the planning!

• Like 3