What is the difference...

London-Calling

We enjoyed the Princess Grill Suite and Princess Grill Dining Room.

The Suite not cabin had plenty room for all our needs. Bathroom, extra Closet space, outside extra closet space, area for food and dining services ( two coffee makers, refrig, crystal wear for liquor/wine use. More leisure space with a couch and bench. Spacious bed. Also for extra storage Bookshelves for our personal needs. We also appreciate the more  balcony and balcony furniture.

We appreciated also the Princess Grill restaurant and their dedicated staff from M'd, waiters and Wine Steward. We enjoyed the variety of menu selections and A'la Carte additions. Also the items which we could order earlier on for the evening for two. And the wonderful Flambe's dishes and desserts.

We hope to return to the PG Class in the future. We really don't care to upgrade to Queens Grill Class.

10 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

Thanks, but is the food different between the two dining rooms?

Others with Qx Grill experience needs to response..

Queens Grill has more choices for food, and the opportunity to order off-menu. You can't just go in and say "tonight I would like..." and ask for something not on the menu. You do have to ask in advance. 

Princess Grill does have some "always available" extra items, most of which you have to order in advance, breakfast or lunchtime. But there isn't the opportunity to go completely off-menu. 

QG cabins are larger and some levels come with a butler. 

• Thanks 1

I have been in PG and QG over the last year. The main difference of QG: a larger a la carte menu, ability and willingness from the staff to order off-menu, and basically more “doting” by more staff in QG. I found the same amount of tableside service and flambes in both. 
The QG premium is the whole package though, suites included. 

My perspective is only having traveled in QG. Not to sound ostentacious, but merely to frame my comments as lacking a comparison to PG.

All QG passengers have butler service.  In my opinion, this is a highlight - our butler was extrordinary.  Both “standard” requests such as customization of the bar and beyond expectation requests were handled with calm aplomb.  In addition, we were fortunate to have Osman as the QG Maitre ‘d who saw, not only to our special requests but also seamlessly and discreetly accommodated to my 91 year old Mother’s needs with regard to low vision and mobility concerns.

Comparisons of PG & QG staterooms, dining options, etc. are readily available.

My general sense was that QG offered us a somewhat intangible elevation that made for a truly exceptionable experience.  It’s the little extras and subtle surprises that were a delight.  Was it worth the upcharge - hard to say, but I’d suggest trying it out to see if it’s worth it to you.  The theme of my remarks is that’s it’s highly personal - to some it makes the trip, to others, it’s a lot of extra $$$ for little extra.

That being said, were I to do a cold weather crossing (e.g. Dec., Jan.), I’d likely choose a sheltered balcony as Brittania Class is no slouch and I’d not want to pay thousands more for a large balcony that would get little use and a cabin several decks higher (on QM2) that would possibly be less comfortable in rough seas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Queens Grill has more choices for food, and the opportunity to order off-menu. You can't just go in and say "tonight I would like..." and ask for something not on the menu. You do have to ask in advance. 

Princess Grill does have some "always available" extra items, most of which you have to order in advance, breakfast or lunchtime. But there isn't the opportunity to go completely off-menu. 

I think all QGs have a butler now, for what it is worth. And some booze in the cabin.

Edited by exlondoner

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Queens Grill has more choices for food, and the opportunity to order off-menu. You can't just go in and say "tonight I would like..." and ask for something not on the menu. You do have to ask in advance. Unless it's something simple like a salad of fillet mignon and then you can order that as you sit down to dine.

In our twelve years of QG'ing it, we have always had a butler, Q5 up to Q1 and yes, as  exlondoner indicated, a Fridge Fairy provides some in cabin drinks and refreshes when needed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

It was the QE2 that differentiated between QG levels, with only Q1's and Q2's having a butler. Our last QE2 trip was a Q3, so we had to fend for ourselves.

Quelle horreur!😧

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We have mostly gone QG, but enjoyed PG once, where the wonderful team of Francis and Ilven looked after us. They did facilitate a lot of flambés as well as some off-menu ordering, but it felt a little more restricted than in QG.

In QG, anything goes, and they will really bend over backwards to cook almost anything you want. This, for us, has included a selection of game, a New Years Eve banquet, several Indian meals, one of Sandro's phenomenal Italian menus, and a lot of table side cooking. 

We aren't huge fans of the lunch menu, so will often go off menu at lunch in the QG, giving notice at breakfast or the evening before. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for this in the PG.

I should also say that the more switched on MDs or Head Waiters proactively ask whether you would like any special orders in the QG, but this hasn't been our or friends' experience in PG.

Edited by wolfie789
  • Like 1

Just now, wolfie789 said:

We have mostly gone QG, but enjoyed PG once, where the wonderful team of Francis and Ilven looked after us. They did facilitate a lot of flambés as well as some off-menu ordering, but it felt a little more restricted than in QG.

In QG, anything goes, and they will really bend over backwards to cook almost anything you want. This, for us, has included a selection of game, a New Years Eve banquette, several Indian meals, one of Sandro's phenomenal Italian menus, and a lot of table side cooking. 

We aren't huge fans of the lunch menu, so will often go off menu at lunch in the QG, giving notice at breakfast or the evening before. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for this in the PG.

I should also say that the more switched on MDs or Head Waiters proactively ask whether you would like any special orders in the QG, but this hasn't been our or friends' experience in PG.

We breakfast in our cabin but lunch and dinner we are always asked if there's anything [QG,off menu] we'd like to order. Always.

A description offered that I think is very apt is:

QG = FIRST CLASS

PG = BUSINESS CLASS

BRITANNIA CLUB = PREMIUM ECOMOMY

BRITANNIA = ECONOMY

You get what you pay for in the air or at sea but this seems to be a succinct way of surmising the differences.

Nothing wrong with Business class but isn't First class just that little bit more special in certain

cases?

If you would happily travel on a plane in any of the above classes you should be happy on board Cunard in the corresponding equivalent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Back in the good old QE2 days, when the choices were QG, PG, Britannia Grill, Caronia or Mauritania, PG was considered to be 1st Class. QG was just the grade above 1st Class.

QE2 didn't have Britannia Grill. BG is the current version of QE2's Caronia. 

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Sadly, I was served the worst meals that I've ever had onboard a ship, in the QE2's Mauritania dining room. 

The QM2's Brittania is so much better.

51 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think at one time there were two PG restaurants, one smoking, one not. The other was called the Britannia, wasn’t it? Possibly?

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I think at one time there were two PG restaurants, one smoking, one not. The other was called the Britannia, wasn’t it? Possibly?

I think you're right. Because they were both for the PG staterooms, I tended to think of them as two halves of PG. But one may have been Britannia. 

21 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think you're right. Because they were both for the PG staterooms, I tended to think of them as two halves of PG. But one may have been Britannia. 

I’ll have a look in the 1997 brochure when I’ve a moment. Yes, tragically, I’ve still got it!

• Haha 1