Scooter Etiquette Questions

I'm sure all of my questions have been covered by someone in some other post - but I tried searching and couldn't actually find the answers to my questions - which leads me to seek the communities help, so thank you in advance.

First - I haven't cruised since 2019, so I may be a little rusty in the goings on shipboard.

Second - The last time I cruised, I was using a cane.  I navigated pretty well, but decided after that cruise that for the next one, I was going to rent a scooter to use while on the ship.

I've read posts about how to rent and will most likely check out Scootaround.

Since I've never cruised using a scooter, I have a few questions about Scooter Etiquette.

I will be cruising on the Symphony Of The Seas.

First question is actually about the rental process.  From what I've read in other posts, some companies say they will deliver the scooter to your room, others say they meet you on the dock.  Can I specifically request to pick the scooter up on the dock instead of the room.  That would actually be much more convenient for me.

2. On my last cruise, I noticed that there were many scooters parked outside the dining area.  I get that it would probably be a nightmare for the waiters if there were scooters parked next to tables and in the way in the dining room - but are you expected to park the scooter outside yourself and walk in?  Should I bring my cane along so I can make it to my table, or do they allow you to ride your scooter into the dining room and then a waiter takes it back out and parks it in the hall?   The last thing I want to be is a bother to anyone.

3.  What about going to see a show?  Is there an area designated for scooter and or wheelchair users?  Or seeing a comedian in the comedy lounge?  is it necessary to park out in the hallway for these venues also?  If necessary, I can navigate with a cane, but standing (in line) for long periods is not possible.

4.  Are there areas that are totally not accessible with the scooter?  From videos I've seen, and personal experience, the hallways can be barely wide enough for two people to pass in opposite directions, and put a housekeeping cart in the hall and I imagine navigating in a scooter can be challenging.  What is the proper etiquette when encountering a housekeeping cart in the hall?  Turn around and go the opposite directions and find another route?

5.  What about shows in the Aqua theater?  From pictures and video I've seen of the Aqua Theater, there is seating, and stairs down to the seating.  I suspect I would have to sit at the very top area as the stairs would be difficult.  I guess I'm just wondering how other scooter/wheelchair users navigate.

5.  To the mechanics of scooter use - how often does the scooter need charging?  ie - how long will I be able to explore the ship before having to plug in somewhere to recharge?  If I'm up in say, the Solarium and notice my charge is low, will I be able to plug in there somewhere, or need to head back to my room to recharge?

6.  What about elevator use?  From comments I've read, and videos I've seen, sometimes people can react negatively towards people with scooters using the elevator?  I'm guessing I'll need a thick skin and to take extra time to be able to find an open elevator.  And what is the consensus - straight in or back in?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment.  Thank you to whoever chooses to answer.  Happy cruising.

9 minutes ago, lucky16cruiser said:

I'm sure all of my questions have been covered by someone in some other post - but I tried searching and couldn't actually find the answers to my questions - which leads me to seek the communities help, so thank you in advance.

First - I haven't cruised since 2019, so I may be a little rusty in the goings on shipboard.

Second - The last time I cruised, I was using a cane.  I navigated pretty well, but decided after that cruise that for the next one, I was going to rent a scooter to use while on the ship.

I've read posts about how to rent and will most likely check out Scootaround.

Since I've never cruised using a scooter, I have a few questions about Scooter Etiquette.

I will be cruising on the Symphony Of The Seas.

First question is actually about the rental process.  From what I've read in other posts, some companies say they will deliver the scooter to your room, others say they meet you on the dock.  Can I specifically request to pick the scooter up on the dock instead of the room.  That would actually be much more convenient for me.

2. On my last cruise, I noticed that there were many scooters parked outside the dining area.  I get that it would probably be a nightmare for the waiters if there were scooters parked next to tables and in the way in the dining room - but are you expected to park the scooter outside yourself and walk in?  Should I bring my cane along so I can make it to my table, or do they allow you to ride your scooter into the dining room and then a waiter takes it back out and parks it in the hall?   The last thing I want to be is a bother to anyone.

3.  What about going to see a show?  Is there an area designated for scooter and or wheelchair users?  Or seeing a comedian in the comedy lounge?  is it necessary to park out in the hallway for these venues also?  If necessary, I can navigate with a cane, but standing (in line) for long periods is not possible.

4.  Are there areas that are totally not accessible with the scooter?  From videos I've seen, and personal experience, the hallways can be barely wide enough for two people to pass in opposite directions, and put a housekeeping cart in the hall and I imagine navigating in a scooter can be challenging.  What is the proper etiquette when encountering a housekeeping cart in the hall?  Turn around and go the opposite directions and find another route?

5.  What about shows in the Aqua theater?  From pictures and video I've seen of the Aqua Theater, there is seating, and stairs down to the seating.  I suspect I would have to sit at the very top area as the stairs would be difficult.  I guess I'm just wondering how other scooter/wheelchair users navigate.

5.  To the mechanics of scooter use - how often does the scooter need charging?  ie - how long will I be able to explore the ship before having to plug in somewhere to recharge?  If I'm up in say, the Solarium and notice my charge is low, will I be able to plug in there somewhere, or need to head back to my room to recharge?

6.  What about elevator use?  From comments I've read, and videos I've seen, sometimes people can react negatively towards people with scooters using the elevator?  I'm guessing I'll need a thick skin and to take extra time to be able to find an open elevator.  And what is the consensus - straight in or back in?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment.  Thank you to whoever chooses to answer.  Happy cruising.

Hello @lucky16cruiser and welcome back to the Cruise Critic website & our message boards! I see it has been a while since you have posted.

To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the Disabled Cruise Travel forum where it will be on topic. Your fellow Cruise Critic members with physical limitations share their advice and experiences there as well as the Europe Disabled Cruising subforum. Your fellow Cruise Critic members with ability differences of all types share their cruise advice & experiences. Browse through the thread titles in the forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting again! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

I also suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies such as this one. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

I've often cruised with friends in wheelchairs and scooters, so I'll give you my experiences.

It's port-specific whether you get the scooter before or after getting on the ship.  If walking onto the ship is too much for you, you can request wheelchair service when you enter the terminal (a staff member will push you up the ramp in a ship-owned wheelchair and deposit you in a public location).  You would then be responsible for getting yourself to your room to pick up your scooter.  If you don't have one already, you might think about getting yourself a Rollator-type walker with the seat attached.  You could be pushed up the ramp by an employee while sitting in the seat of the walker, and take breaks as needed until you get to your room to get the scooter.

The assistant waiter will drive it out for you and retrieve it after the meal.  You may want to check on your table placement to make sure you can get to the table -- with my chair-bound friends, I always check the table number after boarding and get it changed if we're not on a main aisle (spacing between the tables can be too tight for a chair to get through).  

All of the venues have designated areas, typically behind the last row (so no steps to navigate).

Any inaccessible areas are ship-specific... the "all access tour" involves walking up/down stairs, or some ships have a "chapel" area that is only accessible via stairway.  But all the "regular" parts of the ship are accessible.  And you should be able to get past a housekeeping cart.  If not, just holler for the room attendant to come move their cart.  But it's never been a problem for either of my wheelchair-using friends.

Just like the theater and ice rink, there is designated parking behind the last row.

Unless you're driving the whole entire day without stopping, you'll only need to recharge overnight in your room.

The negative reactions have to do with inconsiderate scooter drivers who ram into people or drive over their toes.  I would recommend driving in forward, and then backing out -- people can get out of the way if you're backing out, but if you're backing into the elevator you could smoosh people who have nowhere to move to get out of your way.

One thing you may want to consider is an electric wheelchair (powerchair) versus a scooter.  The WHILL chair is very maneuverable, with an innovated wheel structure.  My friend tried one on a cruise and he loved it so much he purchased one.  He used a powerchair originally, but the WHILL chair won him over.  

A benefit of a powerchair versus a scooter is that you don't have to get in and out of it at dinner -- you just wheel right up to your table and stay seated in your own chair.  A powerchair also takes up less space because you don't have the steering mechanism out in front of you.  

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

Don't know what port you are sailing the Symphony from. If it's from Cape Liberty, the scooter will be in your room when you arrive. On the last day, just leave it in your room. You don't have any other options.

I have had a longtime back injury that makes standing or walking for any distance painful. For the last 10 years I have been using a Rollator for assistance. It has a seat and a pouch underneath. On boarding day i put my carryon on the seat and push it up the ramp.   We do frequent B2B  cruises, and I request wheelchair assistance for that activity.

Most all venues have access. Venues with multiple levels will have ramps. The theaters  have lifts to allow access to the lower levels, including the aqua theater. 

We did cruise on Odyssey , and they have special elevators for access to Northstar and Playmakers.

The MDR has always seated us close to the entrance, which id why you err Rollators and wheelchairs at the entrance.  WE use MTD, so I don't know if there is a process for getting suitable seating for fixed time dining.

I just have a normal stateroom, the Rollator folds up and I can always find a spot to store it, or I just push it in front of the door when we are in for the night.

On 8/28/2024 at 2:09 AM, brillohead said:

I've often cruised with friends in wheelchairs and scooters, so I'll give you my experiences.

It's port-specific whether you get the scooter before or after getting on the ship.  If walking onto the ship is too much for you, you can request wheelchair service when you enter the terminal (a staff member will push you up the ramp in a ship-owned wheelchair and deposit you in a public location).  You would then be responsible for getting yourself to your room to pick up your scooter.  If you don't have one already, you might think about getting yourself a Rollator-type walker with the seat attached.  You could be pushed up the ramp by an employee while sitting in the seat of the walker, and take breaks as needed until you get to your room to get the scooter.

The assistant waiter will drive it out for you and retrieve it after the meal.  You may want to check on your table placement to make sure you can get to the table -- with my chair-bound friends, I always check the table number after boarding and get it changed if we're not on a main aisle (spacing between the tables can be too tight for a chair to get through).  

All of the venues have designated areas, typically behind the last row (so no steps to navigate).

Any inaccessible areas are ship-specific... the "all access tour" involves walking up/down stairs, or some ships have a "chapel" area that is only accessible via stairway.  But all the "regular" parts of the ship are accessible.  And you should be able to get past a housekeeping cart.  If not, just holler for the room attendant to come move their cart.  But it's never been a problem for either of my wheelchair-using friends.

Just like the theater and ice rink, there is designated parking behind the last row.

Unless you're driving the whole entire day without stopping, you'll only need to recharge overnight in your room.

The negative reactions have to do with inconsiderate scooter drivers who ram into people or drive over their toes.  I would recommend driving in forward, and then backing out -- people can get out of the way if you're backing out, but if you're backing into the elevator you could smoosh people who have nowhere to move to get out of your way.

One thing you may want to consider is an electric wheelchair (powerchair) versus a scooter.  The WHILL chair is very maneuverable, with an innovated wheel structure.  My friend tried one on a cruise and he loved it so much he purchased one.  He used a powerchair originally, but the WHILL chair won him over.  

A benefit of a powerchair versus a scooter is that you don't have to get in and out of it at dinner -- you just wheel right up to your table and stay seated in your own chair.  A powerchair also takes up less space because you don't have the steering mechanism out in front of you.  

I hope that helps.

I have my own scooter and I agree with these comments about using  a scooter.

On 8/27/2024 at 11:09 PM, brillohead said:

It's port-specific whether you get the scooter before or after getting on the ship.  If walking onto the ship is too much for you, you can request wheelchair service when you enter the terminal (a staff member will push you up the ramp in a ship-owned wheelchair and deposit you in a public location).  You would then be responsible for getting yourself to your room to pick up your scooter. 

This depends on what cruise line you're on.  My husband has been pushed to our stateroom by a Celebrity employee (to pick up his scooter) every single time (on Celebrity, prior to the rooms being available).  However, I just learned that on Royal on embarkation day if you arrive prior to your stateroom being available - 1pm - you are not allowed to go to the room so you would in fact be taken to a public area of your choice.  So, on Royal on embarkation day if you arrive after the rooms are available (1pm) the pusher should push you to your room.   

Where you rent your scooter from will tell you whether your scooter will be in your room or on the dock.  

Elevators:   this is a hot topic and you will find many postings on this subject in this forum if you search on "scooter: and "elevators".

Renting:   check pricing on both Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround.   We have rented from both and they are virtually identically with the scooters they rent.  However, the pricing can vary greatly.   I just booked a scooter for the Freedom of the Seas for 7 days departing Fort Lauderdale Sept 8.  I checked pricing on both rental websites.  Scootaround was $260 (this was after removing the cancellation and insurance fees) and Special Needs was $195.  Booked with Special Needs !

Lastly, do you have an accessible stateroom?   You have to be able to get the scooter through the stateroom door.   You will also need to advise Royal you will have a mobility scooter.  You will need to complete their Special Needs form, which can be found here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

One more comment, if you rent a device (either the scooter or wheelchair) if you move to a chair & have it parked by the waitstaff somehow make it identifiable!  They all look alike (at least many do) & yours might be taken by someone else by mistake.  Put a pillowcase on the back, something colorful on the arm, etc.  About elevators, most people are polite but there are a few who aren't & will try to push ahead into the elevator you've been waiting for before they came.  If you are with someone who can move faster than you have them hurry to it & hold the door open for you to get on & wave off the pushy people by pointing at you as you are moving to it.  That usually works for them to step back & let you get on 1st.  My husband has had both scooters & now an electric wheelchair.  The wheelchair is more maneuverable & has a smaller footprint.  It is also more stable (He has been able to tip the scooter over on a hill).  If possible, go to a mobility store & test drive some.  You will have a good time with whichever you choose. 

• Like 1

Lots of good advice here and I don't have much to add.  I have found people generally have been good about elevators, though a few times me and DH have waited a fair bit of time.  

I own my scooter and it folds up so we don't need an accessible cabin.  So far, we've been able to fit into all of them.  

It has been a little challenging to get by the carts in the hall.  Our last cruise was to Alaska on the Majestic and I swear the halls were a tiny bit more narrow than other Princess ships we've been on like Island Princess.  DH has been able to move some carts, others I've inched by.  On one or two occasions I did have to turn around and go another way.  We like the cabins at the aft, so there's a good distance to go.  

Most important, though, is the freedom that scooters have brought to me.  Oh, one more thing.  If you go to the buffet, it can be quite challenging on some ships.  Some have roomy buffets and the scooter hasn't been a problem.  Others are less so, but there's room to fold the scooter up.  In still others, there's just no room at all and I've ended up parking in the main hallway which isn't ideal either.   We usually go to the buffets and the solution we came up with was to go slightly earlier or slightly later and miss the crowds.  

Have a great time on your cruise! 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 10:25 PM, casaloma said:

Most important, though, is the freedom that scooters have brought to me.  Oh, one more thing.  If you go to the buffet, it can be quite challenging on some ships.  Some have roomy buffets and the scooter hasn't been a problem.  Others are less so, but there's room to fold the scooter up.  In still others, there's just no room at all and I've ended up parking in the main hallway which isn't ideal either.   We usually go to the buffets and the solution we came up with was to go slightly earlier or slightly later and miss the crowds.  

I agree with this about the freedom that scooters bring.

I've been on Allure, which should be mostly similar to Symphony.  I didn't have any problem navigating the buffet although it would have been difficult to get to some tables.  I don't use a cane much anymore, but I would suggest bringing one if you use one regularly to give you flexibility for short walks.

The only place I tried to get to in my scooter and could not was the rock wall.  It's primarily accessible by stairs from deck 6.  There is a hallway on deck 7 that goes to the rock wall but has a large metal piece at it's doorway that I couldn't drive over.  I ended up parking my scooter blocking that doorway and walked the short distance to a bench so that I could monitor my child who wanted to climb. 

I didn't have trouble seeing any of the shows from the disabled seats. There's usually a companion seat or two in that section as well, so someone can sit and enjoy the show with you.  I did not go to the comedy show, but I saw shows in the main theater, ice rink, and aquatheater.   

If you are not used to navigating a scooter, I suggest using the ones at whatever stores near you have mobility carts for shopping.  Drive around the store and get used to how they work.  Any that you rent or purchase will be much easier to handle and have a better turning radius, but starting with the ones at stores will help you learn somewhere with wider aisles than the ship.  

If you don't have a disabled access room, you can try the Special Needs Group (formerly special needs at sea).  They rent a folding scooter that would be more likely to work in a standard room.  I was going to rent that one and ended up deciding to purchase my own.  It's been life changing to have something for long days with lots of walking (but I also have a teenager who often wants me to take her to the mall).  Consider how often you would rent one and whether buying a lightweight, folding scooter might help with future cruises or other travel.