LIVE from the Ruby - 20 day B2B Pacific Coastal + Hawaii, Sept. 26 - Oct. 15, 2024

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from theliterateleprechaun! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

theliterateleprechaun was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

ALOHA! 🌺

This cruise will complete my 55th birthday present - 55 nights at sea for this circle around the sun! 

We embark in our home port of Vancouver and will be with my husband’s three cousins for the first part of our B2B Pacific Coastal + Hawaii. We fly home from San Francisco. 

I’m looking forward to being on the Ruby Princess again. We met so many wonderful staff members on our April cruise; some of whom have already become great friends. In fact, two of them got engaged in July and they sent us a video of the proposal in the atrium! I wish Leo and Daniella all the best as they navigate planning a wedding and working at sea. 

AD_4nXe55QFgXpH2R86emCpc0mnWcKBLtyTzPM7ZNs_lCiCpTnTU2J30M5C6jS-fh02v59n6pG3tbdZ9UGxEyrBWYFLhH72FvLiAL3SzzwrG9Y0M3L2mApNYXeexw88wQfmCA-mwvwxTtmI0HP6OLFR_4mv-vEBI?key=Vz9pKzcZsIGqOhbdzr6Wng

When you book a cruise (couples who are reading), do you make the decision together? One of you find a deal and present it to the other? How far out do you book? Has your significant other ever surprised you with a cruise?

We’ve been married 30 years and we always discuss big purchases together. My husband usually finds a great deal and we discuss it before calling our travel agent. THIS time, however, my husband surprised me on my birthday. The first clue was the Hawaiian flip-flop in my coffee cup. 

AD_4nXcYWDKw_04UMNRqyYg7OwIYAlC6v-IuBW9BHdCF3T15JhPzl7cAuzOcejDeYQaTA-NKDTmWx980SjUalIXBqkBSBN_nTQAvzdG3icHsdgtDhiX239nx8asqWXnXj-Al9st_RyMmruv1YMz2V4fGIhNWlepb?key=Vz9pKzcZsIGqOhbdzr6Wng

….then when I went to have breakfast I looked over at my case packed for Alaska with Stanley in his plaid…and saw that my husband had decked Stanley out Hawaiian style. 

AD_4nXeyZCF6sqc1VZu9ZCALDiyVIYzz_hDarFvYkGBxKCW26gA0734QhB9bdE2moWDCOaOy2_cgV-iESoGmce3CyZl7f5p264576QkThb0WfKd8BwZox-AQ4l5vqoGASw8lsVPmZz-pjQ36DR16goz5L36qRnCF?key=Vz9pKzcZsIGqOhbdzr6Wng

I loved the surprise! 

We checked in with Rowena and Brian Vasquez and they will be the Hawaiian ambassadors on this sailing. This makes me so happy as they bring such ‘Aloha’ to the piazza. 

I’d love to have you along for my second ‘live from’ and, as with our Alaska 'live from' on August 31st, I’d love any feedback and am happy to answer questions. Are the photos too small? Someone suggested I make them smaller to accommodate people using cell phones to access the feed. What about the font? This is size 14. 

I'm an avid reader (a book a day) and always choose location reads. I'll be reading books set in Hawaii and posting book reviews for this cruise. Since this was a short-notice cruise (LOL), I will be choosing books from Kindle Unlimited. If you are following my 'live from' Alaska cruise, I'll be reading books set in Alaska, posting reviews on them, and will have some to give away on board and/or place in the ship's library after I finish reading. I'm an eclectic reader so you'll see a variety.

We usually include my parents and Steve's auntie in our travel plans as they are in their eighties, but this time we are on our own. After more than 500 sea days together over the years, this will sure feel different. 

Edited by theliterateleprechaun
  • Like 7

We were on the Ruby in late June.  We enjoyed everything, especially the crew, except the buffet. It was so hard to find an open table and the food in the buffet was pretty ordinary.  Everything else was great.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time on both legs.  We have done both (separately) and they are great.  The Hawaii cruise is particularly relaxing with all the sea days.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 6:55 PM, Donwoods123 said:

We were on the Ruby in late June.  We enjoyed everything, especially the crew, except the buffet. It was so hard to find an open table and the food in the buffet was pretty ordinary.  Everything else was great.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time on both legs.  We have done both (separately) and they are great.  The Hawaii cruise is particularly relaxing with all the sea days.

Glad you had a positive experience. We find that getting a table at peak times is always a challenge in the buffet, so we eat either at the International Cafe on deck 5 or on shoulder times in the buffet. Yes, we love our sea days and the Ruby. 😊

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BabsinTX said:

We did four B2Bs on Ruby last year and we've booked four more for next year, including Hawaii.  One of our very favorite ships!

We first sailed on the Ruby in October 2011 for a 30-day Med. Grand Adventure (Rome to Ft. L) and then in April 2024 we did a B2B Hawaii + Alaska. Each time, it's been a perfect combination of great ship, wonderful locations, and fantastic staff. Glad you've enjoyed your Ruby adventures and have more to look forward to next year. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 11:22 AM, theliterateleprechaun said:

When you book a cruise (couples who are reading), do you make the decision together?

Typically, yes.  One or the other may propose it.  When we have agreement, we usually book together.  Cabin selection is important to Mrs. XBGuy,

There has been one exception to the joint decision routine.  Mrs. XBGuy went completely on her own booking a 15-day cruise from Valparaiso, Chile, through the Panama Canal, disembarking in Miami.  It was a great cruise.

I'm looking forward to your reports,  Bon voyage,

I am  Wendy, I am the same B2B cruises with my sister (Kathy) and brother in law (Warren).  I am from Toronto and the others are from Montreal.

We fly on the 25 and are staying at the Pan Pacific before boarding on the 26.

I am hoping Air Canada doesn’t go on strike at that time.

There is a Roll Call for 3 Day Coastal - Sept 26 and 16 Day Hawaii -Sept 29.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, phabric said:

I am  Wendy, I am the same B2B cruises with my sister (Kathy) and brother in law (Warren).  I am from Toronto and the others are from Montreal.

We fly on the 25 and are staying at the Pan Pacific before boarding on the 26.

I am hoping Air Canada doesn’t go on strike at that time.

There is a Roll Call for 3 Day Coastal - Sept 26 and 16 Day Hawaii -Sept 29.

Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed for your journey out here. See you on board. 

We'll be on the Ruby for my birthday in November, sailing in an aft suite, r/t from San Francisco.  We recently decided to make this kinda be a "side by side", by flying to LA after, and boarding the Majestic for 10 days.  Yes, it was a joint decision, but with me making all the arrangements. 😲

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, julia said:

We'll be on the Ruby for my birthday in November, sailing in an aft suite, r/t from San Francisco.  We recently decided to make this kinda be a "side by side", by flying to LA after, and boarding the Majestic for 10 days.  Yes, it was a joint decision, but with me making all the arrangements. 😲

That sounds like a fantastic adventure! We haven't been on the Majestic yet. 

What a fun surprise!  Have a great time when you go.  
I surprised my DH for his 60th bday with a cruise.  He simply had no idea and I made several of the reservations right in front of him.  He hadn’t a clue.  
He says the surprises are for me .. well, that is true.  I love him more than he does but he was ok with that wonderful surprise,  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

What a fun surprise!  Have a great time when you go.  
I surprised my DH for his 60th bday with a cruise.  He simply had no idea and I made several of the reservations right in front of him.  He hadn’t a clue.  
He says the surprises are for me .. well, that is true.  I love him more than he does but he was ok with that wonderful surprise,  

How wonderful! As a general rule, I don't enjoy surprises. I'm surprised how well I took it this time. Thank you. 

• Like 1

I am meeting a crew member (if all goes well) when you dock in Honolulu.  Hoping all of you have a smooth transit over.  I will be enjoying your posts as you make your way to our lovely islands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am meeting a crew member (if all goes well) when you dock in Honolulu.  Hoping all of you have a smooth transit over.  I will be enjoying your posts as you make your way to our lovely islands.

How exciting! You are so kind. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. We do that in Vancouver, too. It's so nice for staff to see a familiar face and have someone to take them around the city. We're heading to get some cookies at Ala Moana and find out if we can walk to Leonard's the malasada place @Gimer mentioned. Thanks for your well wishes for a smooth sailing. 

It is too far to walk to Leonards from Ala Moana.  But....Ala Moana is a bus hub.  You should be able to get a bus to Leonards.  While you are in that location....a couple of blocks toward the ocean is Waiola Shave Ice.  Best...Better than that "other" one...on the island.  

Waiola Shave Ice Kapahulu.  Which cookies are you looking for?  Better selection of Big Island Candies when you are in Hilo.  

https://www.waiolashaveice.co/hours-and-locations

I understand there is an all day bus pass.

https://www.thebus.org/

• Thanks 1

The App has been Updated to show dining.

For Sept 26-29 sailing, the App shows under Journey some activities.  To get the full activities they will be on the paper Patter that you receive each night.

The Sept 28-Oct15, will probably show up soon.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2024 at 4:55 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

It is too far to walk to Leonards from Ala Moana.  But....Ala Moana is a bus hub.  You should be able to get a bus to Leonards.  While you are in that location....a couple of blocks toward the ocean is Waiola Shave Ice.  Best...Better than that "other" one...on the island.  

Waiola Shave Ice Kapahulu.  Which cookies are you looking for?  Better selection of Big Island Candies when you are in Hilo.  

https://www.waiolashaveice.co/hours-and-locations

I understand there is an all day bus pass.

https://www.thebus.org/

I appreciate all your help! Thank you. 

• Like 1

Screenshot_20240916_133522_Shipmate.thumb.jpg.05e72cd863fa4581db331c535efa0d6d.jpg

I hope I never lose the excitement of receiving my Medallion in the mail! 

20240916_115201.thumb.jpg.ca97787197b67ef5f4eda2513a4a9d4e.jpg

20240916_115730(1).thumb.jpg.e8ce2c42bf620fc4ce8f33554c1c028d.jpg

We returned home on Saturday from our Alaskan cruise, did laundry and put what we were taking to Hawaii in our suitcases, replacing rain gear, toques and hoodies with flip flops, sunscreen and t-shirts. In April, we did it the other way around - Hawaii then Alaska. I have a funny feeling we'll like this way much better! 😁

• Like 2

Im hoping they will add an international cafe in the space used for all the photos.  Cant people view their photos on their stateroom TV's and have printed up the ones they want to buy?   I always hate when I walk by and see section after section of photos that you know are just going to be destroyed.  Why take up valuable space and waste paper?  And if you have the plus or premier package dont you get a disk with all your photos on it?  I stopped buying photos years ago, especially the formal ones. Might buy a port photo here or there but thats even getting rare for us. 

She was in port today.  Lovely Lady.  Weather was in the high 80s with some humidity.  

For those of you staying near the ship.  There is a Daiso Japanese store (most everything is $1.75 and Hawaii taxes less than 5% (but on EVERYTHING).  It's where the old downtown Walmart used to be.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

She was in port today.  Lovely Lady.  Weather was in the high 80s with some humidity.  

For those of you staying near the ship.  There is a Daiso Japanese store (most everything is $1.75 and Hawaii taxes less than 5% (but on EVERYTHING).  It's where the old downtown Walmart used to be.  

If they're sailing out of CA, there's lots of Daiso stores here. 

Does the Hawaii one have unique merchandise?

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If they're sailing out of CA, there's lots of Daiso stores here. 

Does the Hawaii one have unique merchandise?

She is doing 2 round trips from Vancouver (this one and next). Yes, this Daiso has a "few" items that are Hawaii specific.  Not many.  Don't forget that the Big Box C near the ship is the highest revenue C in the world.  With lots of local products.

Tax is cheaper than CA

Edited by cr8tiv1

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

She is doing 2 round trips from Vancouver (this one and next). Yes, this Daiso has a "few" items that are Hawaii specific.  Not many.  Don't forget that the Big Box C near the ship is the highest revenue C in the world.  With lots of local products.

Tax is cheaper than CA

I think I'll pay the extra 2% in taxes and not lug stuff home. 

Same with the C. Shopped at the Maui C a few months ago, and the Hawaiian items (Diamond Bakery, Hawaiian Host, Honolulu Cookie, Island Princess, etc) are offered in So Cal too. Also items like salmon skin, shrimp chips, etc, aren't unique and can be found on the mainland. We did find beautiful floral arrangements and brought flowers back to the ship and most importantly, gas for the car we hired.

Daiso has multiple locations in Vancouver too.  Also, Miniso, similar to Daiso, is in Vancouver.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1