Group rate “after the fact”

OK, So friends hear me out, this is a situation.

About a month ago, I started booking a couple of rooms (Aug 04-14 Alaska) between my Uncle, my parents and myself so it was the only three rooms.

However now at this point (Aug 28th) it’s balooned  up to 23 people and nine rooms (5 balc 4 window)…..Should I have done this differently? With 9 already booked rooms (all 29,000$ under my single credit card)  Is there anyway to go back and see if there’s some kind of rate that I could’ve gotten or can it still be applied?

I have personally booked every single one of these rooms and put the names down for all of them. It’s all floating on my one single credit card. (Dunno if that makes a diff for booked group rates) 

Thank you for any help!

Dawn

37 minutes ago, Riemercruisin said:

Unfortunately with Carnival you can't pull individual bookings into a group like you can with, f.i. Royal Caribbean. You have to first make a group and then book your guests in that group. 

Figured! Thank you so much for this info!

What did Carnival say?

If you are planning a group vacation, please contact your travel agent or give our Group Department a call at 866-721-3225, Monday - Friday 09:00 AM - 08:00 PM ET.

What happens if you cancel the existing bookings and transfer to new?

What happens if months from now some want to cancel? Did you get their money upfront?

13 hours ago, KyloRen said:

OK, So friends hear me out, this is a situation.

About a month ago, I started booking a couple of rooms (Aug 04-14 Alaska) between my Uncle, my parents and myself so it was the only three rooms.

However now at this point (Aug 28th) it’s balooned  up to 23 people and nine rooms (5 balc 4 window)…..Should I have done this differently? With 9 already booked rooms (all 29,000$ under my single credit card)  Is there anyway to go back and see if there’s some kind of rate that I could’ve gotten or can it still be applied?

I have personally booked every single one of these rooms and put the names down for all of them. It’s all floating on my one single credit card. (Dunno if that makes a diff for booked group rates) 

Thank you for any help!

Dawn

Even with royal you only have like 30 days to transfer to a TA to obtain group rates. If it's already been 30 days too late even had it been royal who seems to have great group rates. I'd be more worried it's all floating on my card. People seem bad I've known for backing out last minute if they have nothing to lose. I've gotten to where I'm like put it on your own credit card, I've been stood up after I paid for cruises. People dont seem to get final payment at 90 days after that its nonrefundable..they think I'm making it up and have a magic way to get a refund. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/29/2024 at 2:31 AM, firefly333 said:

Even with royal you only have like 30 days to transfer to a TA to obtain group rates. If it's already been 30 days too late even had it been royal who seems to have great group rates. I'd be more worried it's all floating on my card. People seem bad I've known for backing out last minute if they have nothing to lose. I've gotten to where I'm like put it on your own credit card, I've been stood up after I paid for cruises. People dont seem to get final payment at 90 days after that its nonrefundable..they think I'm making it up and have a magic way to get a refund. 

I didnt want to get into crazy specifics.. but It’s only been three weeks.

I booked just before my 10d Alaska cruise. (Uhh we might be at almost 4 wk now) 

it’s only 29,000 dollars for 9 rooms and 24 people. Not gonna break mah bank. 🙂 15k has already been reimbursed to me (and I’m 7k in the hole) for my own rooms. So yeah. I’m ok!

Edited by KyloRen

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 5:27 PM, MaryZ said:

ohh you should have opened a bunch of new cards for subs!

I hope everyone paid you so you're not carrying a balance.

I did the “I’llpay it at the end thing” for 7 of the 9 rooms, on the two I didn’t have access to enough info for I put em on monthly auto pay. But it’s my two biggest rooms , a balcony on floor 8 for 3 @4667 and 4 @5334. 

Edited by KyloRen

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well that does answer a lot of questions.  Thanks for the reply.

Aye it started as three rooms then three then five then 7 then 8 then 9. Hence my asking 

Edited by KyloRen

Booking a group is not worth the hassle! I booked 15 rooms for a 7 day to Alaska. I originally had a vista view booked when some friends suggested I turn my reservation into a group cruise. Carnival doesn’t let you do that so I had to cancel my reservation and reebook using my reservation for the first room in the group. By then, my room had gone up $200 so I lost $200 having to rebook. The only perk we got for having a group was 4 points that could be used for wine, strawberries, a robe, OBC… We used the points for onboard credit so we got $75 onboard credit per room. I am still waiting for the tour conductor’s credit, but after losing $200 there should be about $1,000 left for a year and a half of meetings, phone calls, reservation making, and helping each room with airline, hotel, shuttles, cancellations, …and setting up a social media page to let people know all about the ship, excursions, tips and tricks… Nothing could get me to ever book a group with Carnival again-$37.50 per person OBC and no group discount on price is not even worth the time to set up a group. 

• Like 1

I would call group sales at carnival. 

The reason I say that is because I have a few cruises where my friend, not realizing what she was paying for, paid insurance for myself and herself on a few cruises a few months ago and it was past final payment. 

I called a few days ago and got the insurance refunded to her credit card with no problem.  My reason was that we’re buying annual insurance policies and don’t need Carnival insurance. 

I was surprised they refunded it so you never know whether Carnival will work with you until you ask. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

Booking a group is not worth the hassle! I booked 15 rooms for a 7 day to Alaska. I originally had a vista view booked when some friends suggested I turn my reservation into a group cruise. Carnival doesn’t let you do that so I had to cancel my reservation and reebook using my reservation for the first room in the group. By then, my room had gone up $200 so I lost $200 having to rebook. The only perk we got for having a group was 4 points that could be used for wine, strawberries, a robe, OBC… We used the points for onboard credit so we got $75 onboard credit per room. I am still waiting for the tour conductor’s credit, but after losing $200 there should be about $1,000 left for a year and a half of meetings, phone calls, reservation making, and helping each room with airline, hotel, shuttles, cancellations, …and setting up a social media page to let people know all about the ship, excursions, tips and tricks… Nothing could get me to ever book a group with Carnival again-$37.50 per person OBC and no group discount on price is not even worth the time to set up a group. 

for some it works and for others not so much.

I think it's pretty risky to be booking rooms for others.  Often, folks are left holding the bag when someone drops out last minute, etc.

We book our room and if we are ok with extended family/friends joining us, we then let them know of our cruise date and itinerary and welcome them to join us for the cruise.  We provide them with the date, ship, and itinerary that we will be sailing, and where are room location is so that they can book the cruise themselves.  We just link our cruises all together. 

This way everyone can manage their own cruise.

Edited by VentureMan_2000

14 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I think it's pretty risky to be booking rooms for others.  Often, folks are left holding the bag when someone drops out last minute, etc.

We book our room and if we are ok with extended family/friends joining us, we then let them know of our cruise date and itinerary and welcome them to join us for the cruise.  We provide them with the date, ship, and itinerary that we will be sailing, and where are room location is so that they can book the cruise themselves.  We just link our cruises all together. 

This way everyone can manage their own cruise.

Leading a group has not obligations if you use a TA or PVP.

• Like 1