Queen Anne Grills Terrace access

Stu UK

What is this "first world issue" phase... is this some UK expression? Not sure what it refers to, other than possibly investing tens of thousands of hard earned dollars on a holiday at the top end and having expectations of a degree of excellence and thoughtful planning. Or is QA a "third world" ship charging "first world fare"? Or something.

Bad design is bad design. Just is.  Maybe it's the architect's son in me that recognizes it's best nipped on paper before it's built in. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Maybe it's the architect's son in me that recognizes it's best nipped on paper before it's built in. 

Yep.  I am familiar with the built environment too and the QA layout and sizing  shortcomings were glaringly obvious to me, from our room to public spaces and traffic flow.

I realise from posts that many people do love QA and look forward to sailing on her.  Thats fair enough.  Its a good thing that we dont all try to be on the same ship.  Its also good that Cunard has a different style of ship to broaden their appeal.  For some QA is the only realistic Cunard option while other ships (other than QM2) are not sailing from Southampton.  I do appreciate the other views.  But QA is not for us.  We have other options with Cunard and another line and cancelled future QA cruises.  I know I am not alone in doing so.    

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, david63 said:

Excellent... I do appreciate authentic Islington Coffee Bar worldview as much as anyone. I love it!  "Don't put a chocolate on my pillow every night and I'll feel better about myself in the morning."

Oh well, another reason QA ain't my cup of tea... even on paper.  

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Those banquettes are odd. They look like they're about 1.5 person's wide, and they have two pillows, as if they were meant for two people. If they were wider, people could sit side by side and both would have a nice view. It also would make the long walkways better. I chatted with a woman who was in QG at one of those tables and she said there was constant waiter traffic, and the aisle was too narrow for the flambe cart.

Because of the shape, with the dividers, this would mean they would have to be rebuilt. It would also mean that fewer people could be seated there--is there enough slack in the seating to make that workable? 

IMG_20240606_145259314_HDR.jpg

Well, not too narrow, but sometimes a bit of a squeeze. I think the two cushions are to support each side of one person. The tables would have to be a bit bigger to seat people side by side, but that might be possible. Best of all would be to put them on the slant, but of course that would mean they would stick out further into the rather narrow walkway.

Interestingly the chairs in the picture all look the same. When I was aboard, there were two types, one of which was much more comfortable. Those are the only ones visible here. 

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, not too narrow, but sometimes a bit of a squeeze. I think the two cushions are to support each side of one person. The tables would have to be a bit bigger to seat people side by side, but that might be possible. Best of all would be to put them on the slant, but of course that would mean they would stick out further into the rather narrow walkway.

Interestingly the chairs in the picture all look the same. When I was aboard, there were two types, one of which was much more comfortable. Those are the only ones visible here. 

If they could put people side by side, the tables would have to be wider but they could be a little less deep. And, of course, there would be no chair at the aisle side.

I took a picture of the other line of banquettes. This does show the two kinds of chairs. I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. I was in PG and our chairs were different from either of these.

IMG_20240606_145318814_HDR.jpg

11 minutes ago, Planning to cruise said:

Yep.  I am familiar with the built environment too and the QA layout and sizing  shortcomings were glaringly obvious to me, from our room to public spaces and traffic flow.

I realise from posts that many people do love QA and look forward to sailing on her.  Thats fair enough.  Its a good thing that we dont all try to be on the same ship.  Its also good that Cunard has a different style of ship to broaden their appeal.  For some QA is the only realistic Cunard option while other ships (other than QM2) are not sailing from Southampton.  I do appreciate the other views.  But QA is not for us.  We have other options with Cunard and another line and cancelled future QA cruises.  I know I am not alone in doing so.    

I'd be happy in any Cunarder - they are, as you say, a bit different and I like all the styles. 

I haven't tried any other lines, and they won't all be the horrid monsters with climbing walls, surfing machines, dodgems. Those'd all be fine in isolation without the 5999 other passengers that go with those ships. But some of the styling and colours - they just aren't proper "ships". 

How do you cancel cruises - do you make use of the free one off deposit transfers, or are you not UK based?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

No fuss required.

The first time on QV, we were in the boondocks on an eight top with, surprisingly, a couple in a Q1. Luckily, it was so congenial they didn't ask to move.

The next time we linked bookings and we got the biggie in the bubble which became our new home. Each cruise we asked for that on our next trip  and continued, even on some [not all as some two tops were there occasionally] ] worldie segments, until Covid.

Now on two tops but the cabin denotes the table and we don't have to ask now although I did make sure we had the same table July as we had in May as I thought  it a great table...and it was near you both so we could chat!

We have always specified we would like a table near the window when we have booked. Indeed, some times have been specifically asked. Still never had one.

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If they could put people side by side, the tables would have to be wider but they could be a little less deep. And, of course, there would be no chair at the aisle side.

I took a picture of the other line of banquettes. This does show the two kinds of chairs. I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. I was in PG and our chairs were different from either of these.

Think PG had two different styles and a few different colour combos

Just now, buchanan101 said:

Think PG had two different styles and a few different colour combos

I looked at my pictures to see if I could tell what our chairs were like, but all my pictures of PG were the food and the flambe process!

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes the one near the camera is the much less comfortable type. They don’t look very different, but the others are very comfortable with surprisingly good arm support.

We will be on in November, in Norway.  I'm expecting to be at one of those banquette tables (we'll be in a Q5), and sadly not often on the terrace (it won't be much used in November in Norway).  

Our first Cunard cruise was on the QM2, PG, and we had a table against the back wall.  We didn't know any better and thought the whole experience was great.  On our first QG cruise (QV) we had a perfect table in the middle of the room, with a view past the window seats out to the sea.  We ended up watching the passengers in the window seats more than the view out the windows.  One couple started the voyage with high energy and a taste for wine, knocking back a couple of bottles every evening.  By about the 4th day the husband was coming to breakfast by himself, saying his wife wasn't quite ready.  We weren't surprised!

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It’s like making a fuss about silly phrases which aren’t widely used, things like that.

No, it's more about whining over stuff that many people will not ever be able to experience. Like discussing the merits of one dining chair over another when a lot of people in the world don't have enough to eat for dinner. 

1 minute ago, alc13 said:

We will be on in November, in Norway.  I'm expecting to be at one of those banquette tables (we'll be in a Q5), and sadly not often on the terrace (it won't be much used in November in Norway).  

Our first Cunard cruise was on the QM2, PG, and we had a table against the back wall.  We didn't know any better and thought the whole experience was great.  On our first QG cruise (QV) we had a perfect table in the middle of the room, with a view past the window seats out to the sea.  We ended up watching the passengers in the window seats more than the view out the windows.  One couple started the voyage with high energy and a taste for wine, knocking back a couple of bottles every evening.  By about the 4th day the husband was coming to breakfast by himself, saying his wife wasn't quite ready.  We weren't surprised!

I was in PG in QM2 at a large table way at the back. We had a lovely view of the aft deck smoking area. But we were too busy enjoying the company of our companions to care. Now that I think back, we were VERY fond of the flambés--if they could set fire to it, we were in! So perhaps we belonged by the smoking area.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

No, it's more about whining over stuff that many people will not ever be able to experience. Like discussing the merits of one dining chair over another when a lot of people in the world don't have enough to eat for dinner. 

My apologies.

Just now, exlondoner said:

My apologies.

No need. I think it's an expression used on my side of The Pond more than yours. it is a good reminder that we should count our blessings. Unfortunately, it's sometimes used as a way to be dismissive of someone's problems/complaints. I see it used that way on some of the less congenial boards on CC.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alc13 said:

And then, then most recent time, we were on QE in a Q3, and I was pretty certain we'd finally get a window seat.  But we were placed one table in from the window.  Those seats were occupied by a nice couple who were on the second leg of a longer cruise, and they had asked to be moved to the window at the changeover. I decided - with no evidence - that they were given the table that had been assigned to us.  

Really, though, the nicest table so far was the one on QV, because it was set a bit apart from the other tables.  Those side-by-side tables for 2 are too cozy.  

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

No need. I think it's an expression used on my side of The Pond more than yours. it is a good reminder that we should count our blessings. Unfortunately, it's sometimes used as a way to be dismissive of someone's problems/complaints. I see it used that way on some of the less congenial boards on CC.

And of course, it covers any discussion of dress code, which is virtually the raisin d’être of the Cunard Board. 😀

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, alc13 said:

And then, then most recent time, we were on QE in a Q3, and I was pretty certain we'd finally get a window seat.  But we were placed one table in from the window.  Those seats were occupied by a nice couple who were on the second leg of a longer cruise, and they had asked to be moved to the window at the changeover. I decided - with no evidence - that they were given the table that had been assigned to us.  

Really, though, the nicest table so far was the one on QV, because it was set a bit apart from the other tables.  Those side-by-side tables for 2 are too cozy.  

I don’t mind the close tables. I find it easy not to engage if feeling antisocial, but most of the time it is nice to chat. Of course one could be unlucky and end up next to someone who smelt or had a very loud voice, but it hasn’t happened so far

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I used it originally here and it was in no way meant as being dismissive - as I was equally referring to my comments, which really were first world problems. I've only ever heard it used in the UK as a joke

Can you imagine the fume if Cunard had decided to sit two tops side by side on the banquettes, rather than being face to face? You solve one problem by creating an even bigger one. 

Banquette seating is something that has come back into fashion in recent years in high end restaurants, and I suspect this is why the interior designers went for it here. It makes an empty restaurant appear more cosy and inviting (and, to add another new word that many on here will hate, Instagrammable). They cope very nicely with maximising space in awkward areas, and given the less than ideal QG floorplate, I can see why they would have fitted the bill here. I'd be interested to know if the feedback on them is universally bad, as this place is certainly not a representative sample. If it is, I can see them working on alternatives as we speak and ripping them out at the first opportunity, as it is never that difficult to do. Getting sufficient capacity and circulation space will be challenging though, as that area should never have been a restaurant (at least front of house) in my mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t mind the close tables. I find it easy not to engage if feeling antisocial, but most of the time it is nice to chat. Of course one could be unlucky and end up next to someone who smelt or had a very loud voice, but it hasn’t happened so far

Yes, it was great on QM2 - very interesting Swiss couple on  next table 30cm away [who we ran in to on the day of arrival in New York in *that* diner - the one made (in)famous in a film...]