Inside cabin $1100 less now what?

Their courtesy upgrade guidelines do not apply within 14 days. You might be able to pay for an upgrade but doubtful they will do anything. There is no requirement to give you FCC or an upgrade.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lesson learned. Best prices often found last minute. You sacrifice the ability to pick cabin location, but can be rewarded richly with rock bottom pricing.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

They do not give FCC for price drops within 14 days of sailing.

From a business perspective, this makes sense.  They want to lower the price of remaining empty cabins to get something, but not at the expense of given refunds/FCC on all the already booked cabins.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Lesson learned. Best prices often found last minute. You sacrifice the ability to pick cabin location, but can be rewarded richly with rock bottom pricing.

It depends, I always booked far in advance for popular sailings and the price always increased. We live 20 minutes from 2 cruise ports, kids are grown, so now we can start looking at last minute deals.

Just now, mjkacmom said:

It depends, I always booked far in advance for popular sailings and the price always increased. We live 20 minutes from 2 cruise ports, kids are grown, so now we can start looking at last minute deals.

In the case being discussed here, lesson learned for the OP.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Their courtesy upgrade guidelines do not apply within 14 days. You might be able to pay for an upgrade but doubtful they will do anything. There is no requirement to give you FCC or an upgrade.

If there are Ocean View or Balcony just slightly more expensive, I would call and ask.  I can't believe that they would turn down more money.

12 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

If there are Ocean View or Balcony just slightly more expensive, I would call and ask.  I can't believe that they would turn down more money.

We have done this several times when the prices dropped after we had made our payment.  On one cruise we even did it twice.  When the price of a balcony stateroom dropped to just $100 or so more than the inside room we had booked, we called NCL, paid the difference, and moved to a balcony.  A few weeks later when another round of price decreases were announced, we again called, paid an extra $75 per person, and moved into a Haven room.  That last upgrade was a couple of weeks before sailing.  I'm not sure if it was within 14 days, but it was close to that.

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

That works if you live driving distance to the port. As someone who has to fly for 100% of our cruise, I would counter that when you are required to fly and then booking flights last minute, it may just wipe out your savings on the cruise. 😏

In this case OP is from Florida it appears, and then guessing it might be a Florida departure so flights not an issue for them.

A question regarding last minute NCL fares - Aren't NCL last minutes no longer "FAS" fares? I'm not that experienced with NCL, but I thought that was how they princed the last minutes as "Sail away" deals or something ??

4 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

That works if you live driving distance to the port. As someone who has to fly for 100% of our cruise, I would counter that when you are required to fly and then booking flights last minute, it may just wipe out your savings on the cruise. 😏

In this case OP is from Florida it appears, and then guessing it might be a Florida departure so flights not an issue for them.

A question regarding last minute NCL fares - Aren't NCL last minutes no longer "FAS" fares? I'm not that experienced with NCL, but I thought that was how they princed the last minutes as "Sail away" deals or something ??

The NCL BOGO airfare is offered until 110 days prior to a cruise. Which is why there is often a drop in fare shortly after final payment due date, since they aren't subsidizing airfare anymore. And why those using the BOGO airfare are generally not eligible for any courtesy FCC because while the cabin fare might be lower, the airfare is no longer discounted, resulting in a net increase overall.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, flcruzer said:

NCL won’t do anything because it’s within 14 days of sailing. If you have a NCL contact please provide it. TIA

Did you like the price of the cruise when you booked?  I'm guessing you wouldn't want NCL coming to you and asking for more money because the prices of cabins went up, would you?

As others said - you can get compensation for a price drop, but only if more than 14 days from the sail date.  You missed your chance.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I guess it depends. We end up paying maybe $200-300 for airfare which is more than offset by an $1,100 decrease in cruise fare. When you book last minute, you pay for your cruise after you cruise, not before, due to credit card cut off dates. You also significantly reduce the likelihood of itinerary changes. 

We have been able to get FAS fares last minute. What we have not been able to go is pick our cabin, so it doesn't work if you need a specific cabin or cabin category. 

5 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

They do not give FCC for price drops within 14 days of sailing.

From a business perspective, this makes sense.  They want to lower the price of remaining empty cabins to get something, but not at the expense of given refunds/FCC on all the already booked cabins.

From a consumer prospective, the fact that they have remaining empty cabins says there is opportunity with inventory and revenue management. Not enough people overpaid, and now they have to dump cabins at deep discounts or risk those cabins along with the accompanying onboard spend being zero for the duration of the cruise.

1 minute ago, EllieinNJ said:

We upgraded at final payment 3 weeks ago and now it is another $200 less.  Will they give us obc or fcc instead?

If you upgraded before final payment you can request the fare difference in FCC.  But you get ONE chance, be sure you're absolutely happy with the final fare you're paying...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Flights can definitely be an issue for Florida residents. If you live in Pensacola and are going out of Miami, that’s like a 10 hour drive.

I live in Jax and have flown to Miami for cruises before.

Edited by Distinctive-Destinations