Distilled water change

2 hours ago, Softservekid1 said:

Most of my discretionary funds go to hunting trips for vacations. I'm an old, retired guy, been on many cruises in my younger years and enjoyed them very much. Now, I just don't like crowds, lines, drunk people, loud people, yada, yada. I'm doing this for my girlfriend who deserves it for putting up with me.😉

LOL, I do not know many people who likes crowds, lines and loud drunk people.  That said, your motivation is sound.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 8:14 PM, DeniseTr said:

Distilled water inhibits bacterial growth. I'd prefer not inhaling bacteria for 8 hours a night.

Distilled water contains no nutrients for bacteria, and should contain no bacteria immediately post distillation - but it doesn't inhibit bacterial growth, and many bacteria will happily grow in distilled water.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa growth in hospital distilled water is an issue, and grows aggressively in distilled water.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:55 PM, BlerkOne said:

Don't tell Carnival, but it is cheaper than the drinking water they sell.

I wasn't kidding - compare the cost of 12 half liter bottles Carnival sells for much more. I'm surprised someone hasn't posted recipes of what to add to distilled water to make it palette pleasing. You know it is going to happen.

On 8/31/2024 at 3:21 PM, nc762shooter said:

Unless the fare is the same or cheaper then everyone is paying for it whether they get it or not lol.

2 hours ago, ngrund said:

Just about every other cruise line does provide distilled water at no additional cost.

@ngrund  as @nc762shooter said, "at no additional cost" doesn't mean that you aren't already paying for it with your cruise fare...   it just means that EVERYONE is paying for that water, regardless of whether or not they use it!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

@ngrund  as @nc762shooter said, "at no additional cost" doesn't mean that you aren't already paying for it with your cruise fare...   it just means that EVERYONE is paying for that water, regardless of whether or not they use it!

Of course, but there are plenty of things like that on a cruise and in real life.  

My husband just had to call Carnival in the past and they supplied Distilled water for $3.93.  I'd say this new price and delivery charge is a big increase!

Edited by blyle

8 hours ago, blyle said:

My husband just had to call Carnival in the past and they supplied Distilled water for $3.93.  I'd say this new price and delivery charge is a big increase!

Lots of things price wise have gone way up.  Take a look at the grocery store, makes this increase pale in comparison. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Agreed...even Princess supplies it for free, and Princess is under the Carnival umbrella!

Is the cruise fare the same on Princess as it is on Carnival?

23 hours ago, angelsfort said:

Same thing with insurance for drunk passengers, air scrubbers for smoking areas, meat-free protein substitutes for vegans. 

Most services we use for consumers have built-in charges for parts of the service that we will personally never use.

17 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Lots of things price wise have gone way up.  Take a look at the grocery store, makes this increase pale in comparison. 

The 50% increase in Carnival water prices pales in comparison to the 22% average increase in grocery prices 2020-2024?

...and here I thought 50% was more than 2x 22%, not less than 22%.

1 minute ago, aborgman said:

The 50% increase in Carnival water prices pales in comparison to the 22% average increase in grocery prices 2020-2024?

distilled water is still $2 in Frisco Texas. I wont complain about $6 as I dont have to carry it on myself.

Edited by Softservekid1

I asked my room attendant for a jug of distilled (for a CPAP) on my last CCL cruise in June. He just dropped a jug off and I was never charged, I guess I got lucky.

My backup plan was to grab a bottle of water from a bar before bed, or if that failed it would've been good old fashioned tap water.

On 8/31/2024 at 2:50 PM, DeniseTr said:

Looks like you can now order distilled water in the online store, and it's only 50% more than it was before!

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-makes-onboard-change-passengers-demanded

🤑

Seriously, good add, but hacking up the price that much seems like another scam.

Does the article say the distill water can be ordered online? Is it just me but I do not see a link nor the option to order it online.

8 hours ago, aborgman said:

Percentages are meaningless in this case.  Little more than a buck vs $$$$$ for groceries.  Real world problems (we could do gas, utilities, insurance etc etc etc).  Not sure about you but I will pay the increase for distilled water, you pay the rest.  Using percentages sounds like a politician rationale.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DarthGrady said:

I asked my room attendant for a jug of distilled (for a CPAP) on my last CCL cruise in June. He just dropped a jug off and I was never charged, I guess I got lucky.

My backup plan was to grab a bottle of water from a bar before bed, or if that failed it would've been good old fashioned tap water.

Tap would probably be better....