Live Dubrovnik to Dubrovnik - Aug 25- Sept 15 on the Encore

Hlitner

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Hlitner! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Hlitner was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Greetings fellow cruise lovers.

Since the two "Fudges" debarked this morning, I have decided to continue the live report which is under another thread.  This morning, the Encore docked at Terminal C in Pireaus.  That particular terminal is about 1/3 of a mile from the main cruise terminal, which means a slightly longer walk or ride to get anywhere!   DW and I are, normally, very independent travelers and today was no exception.  We decided to walk over to the relatively new Dimotiko Theatro Metro Station, rather than hike to our usual station located on the other side of the port (across from the main ferry terminal entrance.  This was our first experience using the new station, which provided access to the metro blue line (I think it is also known as line 3).  Both the Green Line (which is from the older station) and the Blue Line (from the newer station) provide easy access to Athens.  In this case, DW and I were going to the Monastiriki Station (which can be accessed by either the Blue or Green lines).  Round trip on this metro cost us 2.30 Euros, so the total cost of going into Athens (for a couple) is less than $5.  

The walk from Terminal C to either station is about 1.1 miles and folks might want to consider that the old station (often referred to cruisers as the train station) can be accssed by the local #843 bus for those that do not like 1 mile walks.  The new station does mean hiking uphill for about 2 blocks to get to its access road.  We really appreciated that the Blue Line has new trains which are in great condition.  Folks can actually take this metro line all the way to the Athens Airport, although that does require purchasing a more expensive ticket (9 Euros one-way).

After our 20 min metro ride we alighted at Monasiriki and did our usual Athens Sunday stroll through the various streets of the popular flea market.  After 1 1/2 hours of shopping, we decided to head back to Pireaus (and the ship) for lunch, which we enjoyed on-deck.  It occurred to us that some would find it strange that a couple of cruisers were back aboard by 1pm after having trekked all the way into Athens.  I mention this for folks who like to do their own thing, since traveling between the port of Pireaus and downtown Athens is actually quite simple (and inexpensive).  One could also take a taxi (for a lot more money), the X80 express bus, or even make the trek on one of several local bus routes (not recommended by me).

On our way to the station, about 9:30 this morning, it actually rained!  This is unusual for Athens in the summer, but the shower was a minor inconvenience and did help keep down the temperatures (which eventually made it to the mid 80s F or about 30 C) and clean-up the usually polluted air.  

After our lunch, near the pool on Deck 9, we found loungers in the shade on the aft end of Deck 5 (behind the Club).  One big change, that has happened on Seabourn, is that most of the deck loungers now have cushions.  These are about 1 1/2 inches thick, have a plastic coating (which is great if they get wet) and really add to the comfort of using the loungers.  While many talk about the various cut-backs (such as with Cognac) it is nice to also see some improvements.

This evening, DW and I will again dine at a "hosted table" in the Restaurant.  For those not aware, Seabourn does provide some larger Restaurant tables that are hosted by various staff.  This is a popular thing with some singles and couples and invites may sometimes just happen, or anyone can simply tell one of the restaurant hostesses that they want such invites.  DW and I love the hosted tables since it is a way to meet some other cruisers and staff.  Since the COVID shutdown, we seldom see the marine Officers hosting tables, and most hosts are either non-marine staff (such as the Cruise Director, or various entertainers.  So far, on this voyage (we have been here a week) we have dined with two Guest Entertainers (who we knew from having met them on two previous cruises), the Seabourn Club Hostess, and a third invite (which we turned down) to dine with one of the regular singers.

The reason we turned down the third hosted table invite was because, last evening, we wanted to dine in the Colonnade where they had the somewhat popular "Indian Market."  The Indian Market is a common occurrence on Seabourn and a personal favorite.  This buffet is obviously about Indian Cuisine, and we really enjoy the change from the more normal menu items.  Last evening was quite pleasent, outside, and the ship was cruising at a very slow speed which made dining behind the Colonnade a near-perfect experience.  The outside area was packed with happy cruisers enjoying the Indian dishes.  The evening later continued with a 9:30 Production Show, which was quite full.  On most nights when there is a show, there are two performances (usually about 8:15 and 10:15).  But last night, being the final night for a cruise segment, the CD only scheduled one show.

A word about our Suite.  I had mentioned, a few weeks ago, that we had booked a V1 (basic veranda suite) guarantee for this cruise.  SB offered us several opportunities for upsells (always to various V categories) which we ignored.  When we got our suite assignment. we received a free upgrade all the way to V4 which put us on Deck 10.  While these V4 cabins are the highest and most expensive "V" Category, we actually prefer lower category suites on decks 5-8!  Deck 10 is actually, in my opinion, the least convenient location for a suite since the only inside elevator access are the two forward elevators.  To get to the main elevator bank, one needs to go outside.  Funny thing about cruise ships is that folks are willing to pay more money for the highest category cabins/suites, which are often in less desirable locations.  But cruisers have always been brainwashed to accept that the best cabin locations are on the highest decks (usually amidship).  Just one of those long-standing cruise traditions.

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Greetings fellow cruise lovers.

Since the two "Fudges" debarked this morning, I have decided to continue the live report which is under another thread.  This morning, the Encore docked at Terminal C in Pireaus.  That particular terminal is about 1/3 of a mile from the main cruise terminal, which means a slightly longer walk or ride to get anywhere!   DW and I are, normally, very independent travelers and today was no exception.  We decided to walk over to the relatively new Dimotiko Theatro Metro Station, rather than hike to our usual station located on the other side of the port (across from the main ferry terminal entrance.  This was our first experience using the new station, which provided access to the metro blue line (I think it is also known as line 3).  Both the Green Line (which is from the older station) and the Blue Line (from the newer station) provide easy access to Athens.  In this case, DW and I were going to the Monastiriki Station (which can be accessed by either the Blue or Green lines).  Round trip on this metro cost us 2.30 Euros, so the total cost of going into Athens (for a couple) is less than $5.  

The walk from Terminal C to either station is about 1.1 miles and folks might want to consider that the old station (often referred to cruisers as the train station) can be accssed by the local #843 bus for those that do not like 1 mile walks.  The new station does mean hiking uphill for about 2 blocks to get to its access road.  We really appreciated that the Blue Line has new trains which are in great condition.  Folks can actually take this metro line all the way to the Athens Airport, although that does require purchasing a more expensive ticket (9 Euros one-way).

After our 20 min metro ride we alighted at Monasiriki and did our usual Athens Sunday stroll through the various streets of the popular flea market.  After 1 1/2 hours of shopping, we decided to head back to Pireaus (and the ship) for lunch, which we enjoyed on-deck.  It occurred to us that some would find it strange that a couple of cruisers were back aboard by 1pm after having trekked all the way into Athens.  I mention this for folks who like to do their own thing, since traveling between the port of Pireaus and downtown Athens is actually quite simple (and inexpensive).  One could also take a taxi (for a lot more money), the X80 express bus, or even make the trek on one of several local bus routes (not recommended by me).

On our way to the station, about 9:30 this morning, it actually rained!  This is unusual for Athens in the summer, but the shower was a minor inconvenience and did help keep down the temperatures (which eventually made it to the mid 80s F or about 30 C) and clean-up the usually polluted air.  

After our lunch, near the pool on Deck 9, we found loungers in the shade on the aft end of Deck 5 (behind the Club).  One big change, that has happened on Seabourn, is that most of the deck loungers now have cushions.  These are about 1 1/2 inches thick, have a plastic coating (which is great if they get wet) and really add to the comfort of using the loungers.  While many talk about the various cut-backs (such as with Cognac) it is nice to also see some improvements.

This evening, DW and I will again dine at a "hosted table" in the Restaurant.  For those not aware, Seabourn does provide some larger Restaurant tables that are hosted by various staff.  This is a popular thing with some singles and couples and invites may sometimes just happen, or anyone can simply tell one of the restaurant hostesses that they want such invites.  DW and I love the hosted tables since it is a way to meet some other cruisers and staff.  Since the COVID shutdown, we seldom see the marine Officers hosting tables, and most hosts are either non-marine staff (such as the Cruise Director, or various entertainers.  So far, on this voyage (we have been here a week) we have dined with two Guest Entertainers (who we knew from having met them on two previous cruises), the Seabourn Club Hostess, and a third invite (which we turned down) to dine with one of the regular singers.

The reason we turned down the third hosted table invite was because, last evening, we wanted to dine in the Colonnade where they had the somewhat popular "Indian Market."  The Indian Market is a common occurrence on Seabourn and a personal favorite.  This buffet is obviously about Indian Cuisine, and we really enjoy the change from the more normal menu items.  Last evening was quite pleasent, outside, and the ship was cruising at a very slow speed which made dining behind the Colonnade a near-perfect experience.  The outside area was packed with happy cruisers enjoying the Indian dishes.  The evening later continued with a 9:30 Production Show, which was quite full.  On most nights when there is a show, there are two performances (usually about 8:15 and 10:15).  But last night, being the final night for a cruise segment, the CD only scheduled one show.

A word about our Suite.  I had mentioned, a few weeks ago, that we had booked a V1 (basic veranda suite) guarantee for this cruise.  SB offered us several opportunities for upsells (always to various V categories) which we ignored.  When we got our suite assignment. we received a free upgrade all the way to V4 which put us on Deck 10.  While these V4 cabins are the highest and most expensive "V" Category, we actually prefer lower category suites on decks 5-8!  Deck 10 is actually, in my opinion, the least convenient location for a suite since the only inside elevator access are the two forward elevators.  To get to the main elevator bank, one needs to go outside.  Funny thing about cruise ships is that folks are willing to pay more money for the highest category cabins/suites, which are often in less desirable locations.  But cruisers have always been brainwashed to accept that the best cabin locations are on the highest decks (usually amidship).  Just one of those long-standing cruise traditions.

Hank

I’m so happy you are continuing this love report!  I’ll take up the mantle on 15th! 

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Funny thing about cruise ships is that folks are willing to pay more money for the highest category cabins/suites, which are often in less desirable locations.  But cruisers have always been brainwashed to accept that the best cabin locations are on the highest decks (usually amidship).  Just one of those long-standing cruise traditions.

Hank

Great report Hank. 

Mr. SLSD and I have had suites on decks 5, 6, 7 and 8 on our various Seasbourn cruises.  We prefer 5 and 6.  Up until our cruise this summer, I did not realize how convenient deck 5 is.  The partially metal railing on the veranda is a total nonissue.  

• Like 2

Greeting fellow cruisers,

Encore continues to cruise on a Northwest course, at about 8 knots, as we head towards Corfu with our single sea day...this week.  The weather has been very good and also somewhat hot (feels like the low 90s F).  Life onboard, feels like Seabourn, which many of us know means a good thing.  This voyage has been blessed with the calmest seas I can ever recall on a cruise.  Make no mistake, there have been some cut-backs, but most folks we have met seem to be content with their Seabourn experience.  Consider that with these short 7 day itineraries, certain SB events such as the block parties, caviar in the surf, etc. have been eliminated.  While a majority of the cruisers are onbaord for at least 2 weeks, the schedule must reflect the fact that we are doing a series of 7 day cruises.

Yesterday, we tendered into the island of Monemvasia, a new port for me.  It is a hilly island, with the primary attraction being a small walled old town.  From the tender dock, one could either ride a local shuttle bus (about 2 Euros) or walk the approximate 1.2 miles to the so-called "lower town."  This small village reminded me of Eze (in France) with narrow streets, boutiques, shops and small restaurants.  For us it was a very nice port day and it felt good to do the round trip walk and get some exercise.  Last evening DW and I enjoyed a table for 2 in the Restaurant, where the food has been up to SB standards.  I particularly enjoyed the raw oyster starter, which consisted of two large oysters, on the half shell, with a sour cream and caviar topping.  The evening show was a Guest Entertainer singer (quite good) and DW and I managed to keep Observation Bar working until close :).  

I mentioned that this cruise does have a very normal SB feel.  We have not met any passengers, from prior cruises, but have chatted with several crew members from prior cruises (including Captain Pedder).  We have continued to enjoy our "hosted tables" and the other evening we dined with the Assistant CD (Rhys) which turned out to a very enjoyable dinner.  Rhys is an interesting young man who is perfected suited for his role (and he would make a terrific CD).  Along with the popular Ross Roberts, the CD department seems to be up to any task. The passenger mix is a good combination of Americans and Europeans, and we have met many nice folks.  

On this cruise, the Restaurant opens for dinner at 6pm.  I assume that SB has heard some complaints that the old 7pm is too late for some folks, but you sure could fool me on this voyage.  Several of our hosted tables have been at 6:30, and we generally see no more than about 20 folks in the Restaurant until about 7.  Like many SB cruises, it seems like a majority of folks head to dinner around 7:30.  Although the ship is near capacity, nothing seems overly crowded.  One complaint, we have heard from a few, is the difficulty of finding a lounger in the shade.  This morning (a sea day) most of the shade areas were staked out by 8am.  I have also noticed that the Team Trivia groups are large, so many are simply keeping to the cool indoors.

Hank

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Greeting fellow cruisers,

Consider that with these short 7 day itineraries, certain SB events such as the block parties, caviar in the surf, etc. have been eliminated.  While a majority of the cruisers are onbaord for at least 2 weeks, the schedule must reflect the fact that we are doing a series of 7 day cruises.

Since I love Eze, i really like the sound of your port.  

I have a quibble with treatnig people that have booked a cruise marketed by Seabourn as a 14 days cruise, a 28 day cruise (or longer) as if they are on a 7n day cruise.  I don't care about the block party, but other events should be part of a cruise marketed to many as a longer cruise.  It should not be up to the cruise buyer to determine if they are really going on a series of 7 day cruises.  The also affects the SOURCE which will only show you your current segment even if you have booked a longer cruise which was MARKETED as a longer cruise.  I don't think SB should advertise 14 day cruises and longer if they are really selling 7 day cruises and treating them as such.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

Today we anchored off the Greek port of Itea, which is a relatively small town on the mainland.  The Swan Hellenic Diana, happened to have the one small docking place at this port.  The primary reason anyone comes to this port is for the opportunity to visit Delphi (think of the Oracle of Delphi) which is an area of importance to historians and lovers of ruins.  Since DW and I have previously visited the area, while on a land trip, we decided to spend the day on our lovely ship.

The weather was quite nice and there was enough of a sea breeze to make lounging on deck a nice way to spend our day.  We also had "Marina Day" this afternoon which gave cruisers a chance to use the paddle boards, sailboat, kayacs, or ride in the "couch" which can be a thrill.

Last evening we had our 2nd dinner (this cruise) in Solis, and it was terrific. Solis rotates part of its menu, on a weekly basis, and we hit the jackpot with this week's offering.  One of the starters was lobster ravioli.  The serving had 3 ravioli in a lobster emulsion and topped with large chunks of lobster!  The dish was fantastic and ranks as one of the best starters we have ever had on a cruise ship.  The manager told me that nearly everyone, who dines at Solis, orders that starter when it is on the menu.  For our main, DW and I decided to split the 32 ounce Snake River Farm bone-in ribeye.  The steak was cooked to perfection.  Unlike our previous meal at Solis, this one rivaled the quality of what we used to expect at TK.  A warning that dining at Solis can mean truly "dining" and nothing close to fast food.  Our dinner took over 2 hours (which was fine with us).

Last evening we also managed to get to the Production Show called "Skyliner" which is a new show that features the best of the singers.  The new shows are somewhat different, from the past, in that they do not feature the athletic dancers we have seen on previous voyages.  The cast does still have 6 and include song/dance, but at least so-far on this voyage the dancing has been low-key.

I spoke with Ross (the CD) this morning and he seemed pretty excited that SB has moved to new shows.  Tonight we get a new Guest Entertainer (for us) named Harry Sideropolous who is billed as a little of everything (singer, actor, comedian, etc).  Ross also told me we can expect two new Guest Entertainers next week.  In terms of entertainment, we have had little repetition on this cruise, which is a good thing.

Hank

• Like 9

On 9/3/2024 at 11:48 AM, SLSD said:

Since I love Eze, i really like the sound of your port.  

I have a quibble with treatnig people that have booked a cruise marketed by Seabourn as a 14 days cruise, a 28 day cruise (or longer) as if they are on a 7n day cruise.  I don't care about the block party, but other events should be part of a cruise marketed to many as a longer cruise.  It should not be up to the cruise buyer to determine if they are really going on a series of 7 day cruises.  The also affects the SOURCE which will only show you your current segment even if you have booked a longer cruise which was MARKETED as a longer cruise.  I don't think SB should advertise 14 day cruises and longer if they are really selling 7 day cruises and treating them as such.  

In a weird twist to this, dh and I wanted to book the 14 day Dubrovnik to Istanbul cruise for Sept. 2025, but were told all the Penthouse suites (which we prefer) were booked.  BUT we could book two seven-day back to back itineraries for the EXACT SAME CRUISE in a Penthouse and get the same cabin for both legs (no having to change rooms halfway through).  Because we booked these as two separate cruises, we qualified for double the OBC so that is nice.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

In a weird twist to this, dh and I wanted to book the 14 day Dubrovnik to Istanbul cruise for Sept. 2025, but were told all the Penthouse suites (which we prefer) were booked.  BUT we could book two seven-day back to back itineraries for the EXACT SAME CRUISE in a Penthouse and get the same cabin for both legs (no having to change rooms halfway through).  Because we booked these as two separate cruises, we qualified for double the OBC so that is nice.

Your experience further supports my comment that Seabourn should not be marketing long cruises (and they market them by name) if they cannot support their customers who are willing and able to book these longer cruises.  

• Like 2

Good Day,

Today, the Encore is completing its visit to the Ionian Islands and we are docked in Corfu with 3 other cruise ships (Viking Sea, Marella Explorer, and MSC Armonia).  That completely fills the large pier facility at this popular port.  DW and I have long found Corfu and decent port so it was nice to renew our acquaintance with a shopping visit to nearby Corfu Town.  Seabourn provided complementary shuttle bus service (every 30 minutes) from the port terminal into the town.

Yesterday, we tendered into Lefkada, which is a picturesque island, perhaps  best known for its location near Scorpios...the private island owned by the Onassis family.  The Ionian Islands are a very popular place for boating/yachting since there are many nice islands in relatively close proximity.  DW and I first visited this area, about 25 years ago, on a small yacht cruise (20 passenger) and the region still has its charm.   

On board the Encore, all is well (except for the Cognac issue we outlined in another thread).  The onboard staff have been quite good, and on the pool deck we have experienced many of the usual SB perks such as cold washcloths, iced fruit on a stick, and waiters coming around with the drink of the day (today it was Strawberry Daiquiris).   The weather continues to be generally good, with temperatures somewhat toasty in the high 80s F.  

For fans of Ross Roberts (our popular cruise director) I should mention that he headlines a sail away party, yesterday, where he entertained with his excellent voice.  As Seabourn regulars are well aware, this company has a history of employing CDs and Assistant CDs who come from the entertainment side of the cruise world.  

This evening, we depart Greece and head towards Brindisi, Italy and then back to Croatia.  Over the past couple of weeks, we have talked with many fellow passengers, and nearly all seem to be happy with the current SB product.   

SB fans all know that the Thomas Keller Grill is history.  But TK does live on, in a sense since tonight, they are having the ole Fried Chicken dinner in the Colonnade.  This used to be called a special TK meal, but now, although the menu is nearly the same, the reference to TK is gone.  Just like in TK days, folks need to make reservations for this special Colonnade dinner.  Another tidbit is that since we boarded (nearly 2 weeks ago) we have heard no mention of Sir Tim Rice.  

Hank

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

SB fans all know that the Thomas Keller Grill is history.  But TK does live on, in a sense since tonight, they are having the ole Fried Chicken dinner in the Colonnade.  This used to be called a special TK meal, but now, although the menu is nearly the same, the reference to TK is gone.

Interesting I thought the Encore class ships were not outfitted with the fryer that could do TK Fried Chicken. I wonder if by not having to use TK name they can get away making good ole normal fried chicken? 😊

Edited by Cantara24
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cantara24 said:

Interesting I thought the Encore class ships were not outfitted with the fryer that could do TK Fried Chicken. I wonder if by not having to use TK name they can get away making good ole normal fried chicken? 😊

So here is the story.  The Encore (and Ovation) do not have the fryer that was demanded by Keller.  But SB owns the recipe so can now do as they please.  Here on the Encore they modified the prep to use some frying and finishing in the oven.  Just finished eating that chicken and it was very similar to what we had on the small ships with the expensive fryer.

Hank

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

This morning, we docked in Dubrovnik, for another turn-around day.  About 1/3 of the passengers (approximately 200 souls) will be continuing on for the next week (our last) for a Croatia-heavy itinerary.  Yesterday afternoon, our Captain announced that there are some forecasted storms, tomorrow (9/9) which makes tendering into Korcula a bit too risky.  So, we have replaced that port with a stop at Split, where our ship can dock.  For me, that is a good change since we have been to Korcula, several times, but have always wanted to spend some time in Split.

For readers new to Seabourn, I thought it might be fun to talk about a few Sebourn "secrets."  

1. Caviar ...Seabourn and caviar are almost synonymous.  SB uses a decent domestic caviar which is almost always available, but generally not advertised.  Passengers can always order caviar through room service, for delivery to their suites.  It is also possible to get orders at any of the bars by simply asking a bar tender or waiter.  One can request a single order (one scoop) or a double (two scoops) which comes on a large platter with the various fixens.  It is also possible to order caviar at The Restaurant by simply asking a waiter...although that item is NOT on the menu.

2.  Pizza......Seabourn has pretty decent pizza. While it is no secret that the Patio (the buffet near the pool) always has pizza, that is usuallly a Margarita and one daily special which sit on the open buffet under a heat lamp.  As you can imagine, this is not always the best since that pizza could have been sitting for some time.  However, the secret is that any passenger can order a custom pizza from the pool deck waiters.  While not listed on the menu, it is usually available.  They are the same 12 inch pizzas that are on the buffet, but you can get customized toppings (if your choices are available).  The nice thing is that these pizzas are made to order, hot, and delivered to your table on the pool deck.  One could also make the request if dining in the Colonnade.

3.  Hosted Tables ....I have mentioned, in previous posts, that DW and I sometimes enjoy sharing hosted tables.  While not generally advertised anywhere, the hosted tables are an option for anyone who simply makes the request of a host/hostess at the Restaurant or Colonnade.  

Hank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Caviar

Have you ever had it on potato chips??? We actually have a caviar store here in Seattle and they also like it that way. Tim's Original is their suggestions, but definitely a salted chip.

I'd been missing you so glad I found you here 🙂

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This morning, we docked in Dubrovnik, for another turn-around day.  About 1/3 of the passengers (approximately 200 souls) will be continuing on for the next week (our last) for a Croatia-heavy itinerary.  Yesterday afternoon, our Captain announced that there are some forecasted storms, tomorrow (9/9) which makes tendering into Korcula a bit too risky.  So, we have replaced that port with a stop at Split, where our ship can dock.  For me, that is a good change since we have been to Korcula, several times, but have always wanted to spend some time in Split.

For readers new to Seabourn, I thought it might be fun to talk about a few Sebourn "secrets."  

1. Caviar ...Seabourn and caviar are almost synonymous.  SB uses a decent domestic caviar which is almost always available, but generally not advertised.  Passengers can always order caviar through room service, for delivery to their suites.  It is also possible to get orders at any of the bars by simply asking a bar tender or waiter.  One can request a single order (one scoop) or a double (two scoops) which comes on a large platter with the various fixens.  It is also possible to order caviar at The Restaurant by simply asking a waiter...although that item is NOT on the menu.

2.  Pizza......Seabourn has pretty decent pizza. While it is no secret that the Patio (the buffet near the pool) always has pizza, that is usuallly a Margarita and one daily special which sit on the open buffet under a heat lamp.  As you can imagine, this is not always the best since that pizza could have been sitting for some time.  However, the secret is that any passenger can order a custom pizza from the pool deck waiters.  While not listed on the menu, it is usually available.  They are the same 12 inch pizzas that are on the buffet, but you can get customized toppings (if your choices are available).  The nice thing is that these pizzas are made to order, hot, and delivered to your table on the pool deck.  One could also make the request if dining in the Colonnade.

3.  Hosted Tables ....I have mentioned, in previous posts, that DW and I sometimes enjoy sharing hosted tables.  While not generally advertised anywhere, the hosted tables are an option for anyone who simply makes the request of a host/hostess at the Restaurant or Colonnade.  

Hank

Thank you for the pizza info! We didn’t get any pizza on our last cruise because I don’t usually like pizza that’s been sitting out under lights. We will definitely order some on our next cruise. I wonder if you could order it in the Retreat? Can’t hurt to ask 😁

1 hour ago, clo said:

Have you ever had it on potato chips??? We actually have a caviar store here in Seattle and they also like it that way. Tim's Original is their suggestions, but definitely a salted chip.

I'd been missing you so glad I found you here 🙂

Have never tried it on a chip, but they usually have potato chips and the Observation Bar.  Might give that a try 😋

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lisa6191 said:

Thank you for the pizza info! We didn’t get any pizza on our last cruise because I don’t usually like pizza that’s been sitting out under lights. We will definitely order some on our next cruise. I wonder if you could order it in the Retreat? Can’t hurt to ask 😁

Had a pizza delivered to Retreat many times

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

@Lilly55 what else can you get delivered beyond the retreat/room service menu?  Afternoon tea? 

You can actually have anything you want delivered. Strictly if you are going off menu for lunch, you are meant to order it the day/night before.

I never have the standard menu at lunch but do tend to place an order the night before in the restaurant. 
Pizza I ask in morning when I arrive as don’t like the pizza from room service and they get a fresh one cooked on the pool deck for me.
Afternoon tea or cakes from Seabourn Square - just ask them to go and get them for you - never an issue 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Lilly55 said:

You can actually have anything you want delivered. Strictly if you are going off menu for lunch, you are meant to order it the day/night before.

I never have the standard menu at lunch but do tend to place an order the night before in the restaurant. 
Pizza I ask in morning when I arrive as don’t like the pizza from room service and they get a fresh one cooked on the pool deck for me.
Afternoon tea or cakes from Seabourn Square - just ask them to go and get them for you - never an issue 😀

This is awesome info. We used the Retreat a couple days on our Med cruise and we were perfectly happy with the offerings on the special menu, but we have booked it for our whole TA in November so I am guessing we will want other options for that many days. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Lilly55 said:

@Lilly55thank you.  We have the whole week booked on Encore in a week’s time so this is helpful to know.  

On 9/9/2024 at 1:04 AM, lisa6191 said:

This is awesome info. We used the Retreat a couple days on our Med cruise and we were perfectly happy with the offerings on the special menu, but we have booked it for our whole TA in November so I am guessing we will want other options for that many days. Thank you!

Are you on the Ovation Transatlantic Barcelona to Barbados? If so, we are too.

Transatlantic crossing is the only cruise we don’t book the Retreat and just use our sundeck and jacuzzi in our suite 😀

4 hours ago, Lilly55 said:

Are you on the Ovation Transatlantic Barcelona to Barbados? If so, we are too.

Transatlantic crossing is the only cruise we don’t book the Retreat and just use our sundeck and jacuzzi in our suite 😀

Yes we are! It’s only our second Seabourn cruise, and we loved the Retreat so much on the first one that we are very excited to have it for the whole trip this time. With all those sea days, we didn’t want to worry about getting loungers in the shade at the pool (we don’t like to sit in the sun). See you then!

Yesterday (9/9) the Encore docked at Split.  The Captain's weather forecasting was "right on" since it was a very dreary morning with gusty winds that would have made the originally scheduled tender operation, at Korcula, difficult to impossible.  DW and I took advantage of the dry morning conditions to walk into Split and do the usual touristy things which include visiting the old Palace and Cathedral.  Late in the morning we walked the popular promanade until DW thought it best to return to the ship, because of very threatening skies.  Soon after we reached the ship, the skies opened-up and dumped a torrent.

Last evening we dined, for the third time, in Solis and it was not the best experience.  Service was a bit slow, the wine sommelier was not to be seen, but the food was fine.  Regarding the wine, we refused our waiters suggestion to order off the abbreviated wine list that is in the menu, and asked for the Sommelier along with the big wine list.  After 20 minutes of no-show, the Maitre'd came to our table and offered to take our wine order (which was a decent bordeaux from the Paulliac region).   We got into a conversation with a couple at the next table (also frequent SB cruisers) who expressed their extreme displeasure with Solis, their service, and the fact that the Encore seems to run out of too many things (including decent cognac, and the basic complementary Chardonnay).  The other folks also mentioned they tried to order two different pricey wines off the wine list only to be told, "neither is available."  That same couple finally left Solis without dessert since they were unhappy at how long they had waited to order that final course.  Our experience was somewhat better, but having purchased a decent bottle of wine I was generally left on my own to refill our glasses.

So, folks, our final comments on Solis.  At best, the menu and service are rough around the edges.  If the old Thomas Keller Grill was rated a 10, then we would give Solis a 6 or 7.  

Today we woke up to beautiful blue skies, perfect temps in the 70s, and a fantastic balcony view of the Zadar promenade.  Zadar has two docking locations, and the Encore got the one desirable berth located within spitting distance of the old town.  The other two ships in port, Azamara Pursuit and Silversea Silver Ray, had to dock a few kilometers from town.   It was our first visit to Zadar, and we quickly found ourselves loving this city.  The walled old town was not as crowded as Dubrovnik, the relatively new Promenade (along the sea) was perfect, and it was difficult not to crack my face with a big smile.   DW and I walked the entire promanade (about 1/2 mile) to the opposite end where we encountered the local university with its thousands of students.  We then worked our way back through the old town with the usual tourist stops at churches.   At the Cathedral, we enjoyed an unexpected organ concert before stopping at a perfectly located cafe for some coffee and people watching.  There are many good reasons why Croatia has become a popular tourist destination, and Zadar is one of the better reasons.

Tonight, it is back to a hosted table with our assistant cruise director (Rhys) and then we get a new (to us) guest entertainer named Congyu Wang, who is a classical pianist that comes highly recommended by Ross (the Cruise Director).  

• Like 2

Thank you for your updates, very much appreciated. Please say hi to Rhys from the people on the last cruise, the trivia people, boozers, losers and cruisers, the guy always checking up on his 13 cats at home. From a very sunny Cyprus.