Getting off ship after boarding?

Scubadoc

We board the Pearl this Friday. We are coming from a few days in Venice and would love to walk around Trieste. Can you board and then get back off without going through the whole process again?  

Or can we check our luggage and walk around before we actually board? 

5 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

We board the Pearl this Friday. We are coming from a few days in Venice and would love to walk around Trieste. Can you board and then get back off without going through the whole process again?  

Check your bags with the porters. Be aware that you need to be checked in 2 hours before departure or risk denied boarding. 

YMMV - In May, in NY, I was able to check in, board, make reservations then leave the ship.  When we left the ship, Security advised us that we had to be back on board half an hour before sail away time.  We chose not to risk misinformation and came back 2 hours before sail away and breezed right through showing our key card and ID.

we sailed out of trieste a few years ago, myself, my wife and our close friend. we checked  our luggage, checked in our cabin, and my wife and our friend went out again to do a little trieste exploration. no problem! just get back in time

On 9/4/2024 at 6:58 AM, Scubadoc said:

You can do either but the easiest is to drop your bags and then go explore. Return to the ship and then check in and board. 

It probably isn't allowed in foreign ports like that, since it would be easy for people to get lost or otherwise delayed, and you still have to through security again. Some ports will let you go if there are in-transit passengers, or if the ship leaves late, as happens sometimes in Vancouver, when ships have to leave during the night because of tides and fitting under the bridge there. I once had to do it in Seattle, since I left my prescription glasses in my car, only having prescription sunglasses, and it definitely wasn't fun doing the entire process again and explaining to everyone that I was already checked in, and I got stern warnings about all-aboard time. 

8 minutes ago, rj59 said:

It probably isn't allowed in foreign ports like that, since it would be easy for people to get lost or otherwise delayed, and you still have to through security again. Some ports will let you go if there are in-transit passengers, or if the ship leaves late, as happens sometimes in Vancouver, when ships have to leave during the night because of tides and fitting under the bridge there. I once had to do it in Seattle, since I left my prescription glasses in my car, only having prescription sunglasses, and it definitely wasn't fun doing the entire process again and explaining to everyone that I was already checked in, and I got stern warnings about all-aboard time. 

It really is not an issue, but can be a hassle. People on B2B cruises do it every day in every port.