No more Simply More

Jancruz

@terrydtx

We did the similar Marina cruise in January 2023 in the revers direction and adding some extra days. Hope you can add the wine country, a trip through the interestingly painted houses of Valparaiso and absolutely you have to get to Iguazu Falls, a MAJOR highlight. 
Enjoy that great cruise itinerary.

Mauibabes

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I guess it also depends on your point in life..we were much more adventurous 10 years ago...

the only thing I still crave is what some of you are doing..getting a group of friends together, renting a villa in tuscany or provence....and just living the dream...

but alas that is not going to happen either...no one else we know has that dream....

We have had great experiences staying in small villas and vineyards in Tuscany. There are many that have 4-8 rooms and rent to individual couples. You still enjoy the wonderful homecooked breakfasts and comfortable common areas.  We rent a car and do day trips to small hilltop towns. If you're interested check out Airbnb or agriturismo.it 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We are now combining longer land trips with our cruises, in January we did 22 days by cruise with a 13-day driving trip in Australia. Next March we are doing a week on land before our South America Marina cruise. These land days bring downs our overall cost per day for any vacation.

We are in our mid 70's and more adventurous than 10 years ago after extensive overseas traveling since covid has shown how easy and safe international travel can be.

We have always combined land trips with our cruises. We have spent anywhere from a week to a month, either before or after the cruise, depending on where we're cruising. One needs to either be retired or can do their work remotely.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@terrydtx

We did the similar Marina cruise in January 2023 in the revers direction and adding some extra days. Hope you can add the wine country, a trip through the interestingly painted houses of Valparaiso and absolutely you have to get to Iguazu Falls, a MAJOR highlight. 
Enjoy that great cruise itinerary.

Mauibabes

Thank you, we have several wine country tours already booked, in Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. We had planned on seeing Valparaiso but since the cruise ship leaves from the Port in San Antonio there was just not time to go there pre cruise. We had thought about staying pre-cruise in the Valparaiso or Vina del Mar area but finding reliable transportation from there to the Port in San Antonio presented problems. We are staying in Santiago pre-cruise and doing two wine country tours from there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Article from The Points Guys!

They know this is a big price increase disguised as benefit enhancement. 
Read in The Points Guy: https://apple.news/AoKgqJerPTbemICrr8Z9V_Q

The dates they state in the article don’t make sense:

The new "Your World Included" package will take effect beginning Oct. 1, 2025, for all new reservations departing on or after Jan. 1, 2025. It will replace the line's current "Simply More

24 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Would love to do that, but need to convince someone to share that experience, not ready to do that on our own.

We have done several trips with my sister and brother-in-law but the trip this year to Australia was just my wife and I, we had no problems and would do it all over again.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

We have had great experiences staying in small villas and vineyards in Tuscany. There are many that have 4-8 rooms and rent to individual couples. You still enjoy the wonderful homecooked breakfasts and comfortable common areas.  We rent a car and do day trips to small hilltop towns. If you're interested check out Airbnb or agriturismo.it 

We are taking our three teenage grandkids to Italy in 2026 for two weeks and we will be using Airbnb like services for sure. to save cost but we need 2-3 bedrooms.

• Like 1

@terrydtx we did it as a part of a day tour after disembarking using a Tours By Locals guide. We had 8 of us and bags too as he dropped us at the airport late afternoon. Sounds like a great plan. Once you get to BA, if you can add the days, don’t miss a trip to  the Falls. We flew in and out of there with a night in the Park. 

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_2836D.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainbow3fe said:

We have always combined land trips with our cruises. We have spent anywhere from a week to a month, either before or after the cruise, depending on where we're cruising. One needs to either be retired or can do their work remotely.

@Rainbow3fe Wow, this sounds so nice.  Up until last year, all we ever did was go to the port a day early.  Last year, yes on Oceania Cruises, we went to Athens for a day before the cruise. It was over the top GREAT and I could have stayed a lot longer.  At the end of the trip, we stayed and extra day in Barcelona.  That was just OK. 

About five months after this cruise, I took my daughter back to Europe not on a cruise.  A few days in several places and it was a much different trip.  Not better or worse just different.  I am so glad I had these two experiences.  Your approach of spending much more time is now on my bucket list.  Thank you for sharing.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harters said:

A tube of Pringles down from 200g to 185g but price the same.

I, for one, would pay more for included, unlimited Pringles. They are the Cadillac of potato chips! *

* or perhaps more appropriately Bentley/Crisps

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We are taking our three teenage grandkids to Italy in 2026 for two weeks and we will be using Airbnb like services for sure. to save cost but we need 2-3 bedrooms.

Also check out Agriturismo.it  because the small working vineyards need income so they offer accommodations to tourists.

1 hour ago, IDL said:

The dates they state in the article don’t make sense:

The new "Your World Included" package will take effect beginning Oct. 1, 2025, for all new reservations departing on or after Jan. 1, 2025. It will replace the line's current "Simply More

Yes, it appears that they made a typo when stating when the new program takes effect.  It begins on Oct. 1, 2024, less than a month from now.  

The remainder of the article really didn't say anything new and did not factor in that the new program benefits newer cruisers on Oceania more than those in the Silver and above loyalty categories.  

48 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Rainbow3fe Wow, this sounds so nice.  Up until last year, all we ever did was go to the port a day early.  Last year, yes on Oceania Cruises, we went to Athens for a day before the cruise. It was over the top GREAT and I could have stayed a lot longer.  At the end of the trip, we stayed and extra day in Barcelona.  That was just OK. 

About five months after this cruise, I took my daughter back to Europe not on a cruise.  A few days in several places and it was a much different trip.  Not better or worse just different.  I am so glad I had these two experiences.  Your approach of spending much more time is now on my bucket list.  Thank you for sharing.

Enjoy🎉

You'll find that it's fun to spend time exploring before or after a cruise. 

Before our upcoming Vista Athens cruise we're staying at an apartment in Santorini for a week then flying over to Athens for 4 nights. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kid O said:

They are the Cadillac of potato chips!

Although in the UK, there was a court case that ruled they were not legally potato crisps/chips, due to the lack of potato in them (only 42% apparently) - which supported the manufacturers case. Legally, they were in the same category as a cake - so the  good news was that, as a cake, they shouldn't attract Value Added Tax, so be cheaper than they otherwise would be. However, the Revenue appealed and won, so VAT is now levied on them.  Doncha just love the law? 

I have been known to eat a full tube at one session. Which is, perhaps, why I am a short fat man, instead of just being a short man. In similar vein, I've been known to demolish a whole pack of Jaffa Cakes at  single session. Relevant to this story only in that there was another court case which ruled they were indeed a cake, so exempt from VAT. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Would love to do that, but need to convince someone to share that experience, not ready to do that on our own.

There are many ways to rent rooms in villas and wineries. You'll have homecooked breakfast and can share lovely common spaces. It’s really a great experience. 

6 minutes ago, Harters said:

And I've been to your State, but only the once. 

What I remember most was the cab ride to my client.  I also remember the people were really nice to me.  I would go from France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.

The kind folks in England were trying to give me the best possible time. They kept on wanting to take me to really nice French Restaurants and I kept on saying, please bring me to a true English pub.  The place that the locals go.  

Like when you came to my state of Alabama, we specialize in BBQ ribs and pork.  What I was looking for was beer and Fish/Chips.  It was a long time ago, but what I recall is we had a GREAT time.  Might have had to much to drink.  Good times had by ALL.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@terrydtx we did it as a part of a day tour after disembarking using a Tours By Locals guide. We had 8 of us and bags too as he dropped us at the airport late afternoon. Sounds like a great plan. Once you get to BA, if you can add the days, don’t miss a trip to  the Falls. We flew in and out of there with a night in the Park. 

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_2836D.jpeg

Wow...just amazing...

51 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

There are many ways to rent rooms in villas and wineries. You'll have homecooked breakfast and can share lovely common spaces. It’s really a great experience. 

Yes, I'm sure it is a very worthwhile experience.  Need to convince someone to try it with us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Although in the UK, there was a court case that ruled they were not legally potato crisps/chips, due to the lack of potato in them (only 42% apparently) - which supported the manufacturers case. Legally, they were in the same category as a cake - so the  good news was that, as a cake, they shouldn't attract Value Added Tax, so be cheaper than they otherwise would be. However, the Revenue appealed and won, so VAT is now levied on them.  Doncha just love the law? 

I have been known to eat a full tube at one session. Which is, perhaps, why I am a short fat man, instead of just being a short man. In similar vein, I've been known to demolish a whole pack of Jaffa Cakes at  single session. Relevant to this story only in that there was another court case which ruled they were indeed a cake, so exempt from VAT. 

Pringles …. please look at the ingredients! They don’t advertise themselves as ‘crisps/chips’ because they aren’t! They’re just a huge assortment of ‘e’ numbers and other indistinguishable ‘ingredients’. Buyer beware, and eater take even more care!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_2836D.jpeg

We looked at going to the falls next year, but our group decided they can't be any more spectacular than Niagara Falls which we all have visited several times.

5 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Article from The Points Guys!

They know this is a big price increase disguised as benefit enhancement. 
Read in The Points Guy: https://apple.news/AoKgqJerPTbemICrr8Z9V_Q

After reading this article it looks like Oceania is taking away value and adding way less back in. This is the same lame policy that got us to leave Celebrity. We use the drinks package and the shorex credit and it saves us a lot on the overall cost. Viking Ocean has the same drinks package and one included shorex in every port, plus free Wi-Fi and specialty restaurants. Need to look more at VO now. Oceania is conning us by marketing we are getting more when we really get less. 

This is the quite from the Points Guy that spells out what many of us will be losing with this change.

"

The terms and conditions for Oceania's current "Simply More" package state that the value placed on the package's free alcohol is up to $1,400 per person, and the shore excursion credit is valued at up to $700 per person. The value varies based on sailing length; although those amounts might only be available on sailings longer than 10 days, the numbers still show the change represents a loss in value.

When comparing that to the value of the gratuities by which both of those will be replaced as inclusions, the numbers look even worse. Currently, a charge of $18 per person, per day is added to guests' onboard accounts for gratuities. Passengers in suites with butler service pay $23 per person, per day. Even on the high end, that amounts to $230 per person for a 10-day cruise. So, a $2,100 value is being replaced by a perk valued at just $230"

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1