Cunard Insights Lectures - great speakers?

OneForTheQueens

I've had the absolute pleasure of being on a QM2 sailing with Bill Miller, "Mr. Ocean Liner". He's immensely knowledgeable about ocean liners of course, but an extremely captivating speaker as well. He packed the illuminations theatre every day he spoke. Very friendly gentlemen to speak to around the ship as well. 

On 9/6/2024 at 3:46 PM, OneForTheQueens said:

So, I am curious, has anyone seen any really good talks on board?

We absolutely love the Insights program. It is a VERY diverse program but typically 3/4 of the speakers will pique out interest. Some of our favorites have been:

Jim Kennedy, former director of the Kennedy Space Center who had a 4-part program

Michael Howard, former Leader of the British Conservative Party who spoke on Churchill

Sandra Howard (wife), who spoke on being a super model in the 60's and now an author

Concorde Pilot who had a 3-part program

The Chairman of the Bank of England in 2008 who spoke on how close we came to a global financial meltdown during the Great Recession. 

There have been many many more. Some, if not most, of the speakers make themselves available for 1-on-1 conversations. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sucramdi said:

I've had the absolute pleasure of being on a QM2 sailing with Bill Miller, "Mr. Ocean Liner". He's immensely knowledgeable about ocean liners of course, but an extremely captivating speaker as well. He packed the illuminations theatre every day he spoke. Very friendly gentlemen to speak to around the ship as well. 

Unfortunately there are those not sailing at the optune time to have such knowledgeable speakers on their sailings and think selected speakers aren't interesting as we enjoyed.

It’s all subjective even the definition of great. Just wait and see who is presenting is my opinion. One thing I never do is walk out mid way if it’s not too my taste. To me that’s plain rude. I have only been disappointed once as I have mentioned before. I don’t see any point speculating who they could  be. I have only once had a repeat speaker and that was the delightful Maureen Ryan. Would love to hear either Chris Frame or Steven Payne but never been lucky enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

It’s all subjective even the definition of great. Just wait and see who is presenting is my opinion. One thing I never do is walk out mid way if it’s not too my taste. To me that’s plain rude. I have only been disappointed once as I have mentioned before. I don’t see any point speculating who they could  be. I have only once had a repeat speaker and that was the delightful Maureen Ryan. Would love to hear either Chris Frame or Steven Payne but never been lucky enough. 

David Gower is the one I live I hope of, but I keep missing him.

I have found the most interesting speakers to be on TA crossings and on a world cruise where they change on segments.  The best whilst also being great speakers often have academic credentials rather than being say TV people.    

I have heard and chatted with Maureen Ryan and Stephen Payne on such cruises.

Although I do think its rude to do so I did in fact walk out of one talk some years ago  along with a number of other women.  It was between Australian ports, the speaker was Australian, as were great numbers of passengers.  Although he was unknown to others he was apparently some sort of personality in Australia and the Australians were excited to think he was to talk and flocked to the theatre.  He was so rude, sexist and misogynist, a few got up and others followed.  Each to their own.   

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

David Gower is the one I live I hope of, but I keep missing him.

Gower is very good, his tales are pretty scandalous and always entertaining, he's also very approachable especially if you buy him a glass of fizz in the Veuve Clicquot bar. I'm generally not a fan of the Celebrity speakers but he was very good as was John Nichol the Gulf War Tornado  pilot

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Gower is very good, his tales are pretty scandalous and always entertaining, he's also very approachable especially if you buy him a glass of fizz in the Veuve Clicquot bar. I'm generally not a fan of the Celebrity speakers but he was very good as was John Nichol the Gulf War Tornado  pilot

On our QA cruise in May, Val McDermid was excellent.

• Like 2