Silver Ray becomes the first to homeport at new Fusina Cruise Terminal, Venice

Host Jazzbeau

I had thought that homeporting was a situation in which the ship returned regularly (every week or every 10 days) to the same port to do similar itineraries.  Is it correct to say that Silver Ray is homeporting in Venice?   

32 minutes ago, Observer said:

I had thought that homeporting was a situation in which the ship returned regularly (every week or every 10 days) to the same port to do similar itineraries.  Is it correct to say that Silver Ray is homeporting in Venice?   

I Thought it meant the ship returned to the Port it was registered in? Isn’t she registered in the Bahamas? 

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I believe the term homeport can also be used for a port where passengers begin or end a cruise (as opposed to a day port for shore excursions).

I thought that was called a turn-around port. (But certainly that is what the article seemed to be saying.)

On 9/7/2024 at 1:54 AM, Observer said:

I agree.  Homeport is where a ship is based for an extended period during the season. Some ships travel to Australia and base themselves in Sydney for our summer season, doing several Australia and NZ round trips.  That is their homeport.  Is Silver Ray doing multiple Mediterranean cruises from Fusina over two or three months?

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

I agree.  Homeport is where a ship is based for an extended period during the season. Some ships travel to Australia and base themselves in Sydney for our summer season, doing several Australia and NZ round trips.  That is their homeport.  Is Silver Ray doing multiple Mediterranean cruises from Fusina over two or three months?

I don't believe so.

But demanding accuracy in speech, ever since Webster's Third decided to follow usage instead of prescribing it, is a fool's game.  😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I too thought 'surely Venice is not going to be where the ship is based all season/year'.  The term turn around  port is just that, always has been.    You might have thought this outfit would have known.  Or maybe not.

That is one depressing start to a cruise….. looks like it only cost €5 million for sure. The tone is “Since you’re coming anyways we’ll provide a terminal, but don’t expect to feel welcomed”  I’ve seen condemned school cafeterias that have more ambiance. 

I don't understand what all the fuss is about over the Fusina terminal.  SilverSea ships are small enough that you shouldn't spend much time in this port before getting on the ship.  Besides, it seems to me that the former process of having to go to Marittima first, to check-in, then get bussed to Fusina was an unnecessary waste of time.

I've only been in one cruise terminal - Celebrity Terminal 25 in Fort Lauderdale - which people tell me is new and nice.  I thought it was a dumpy warehouse, just like the Fusina pictures, except for the nice room with breakfast we had access to as retreat passengers.  I spent less than 10 min there and never thought of it again until now.  It did not affect my voyage in any way.

It looks like you can get to Fusina on the line 16 vaporetto.  

https://www.visit-venice-italy.com/water-bus-venice-line-16.html

Edited by Winemaker_1
  • Like 1

We were at the Fusina Terminal recently on the Seabourn Quest.  We were in port for the day, but it was a turnover at the end of a segment and beginning of a new one.  For us, as we were continuing on the cruise, the time spent on buses and people movers and then walking into town past the train station meant that we had just a couple of hours in Venice before we had to head back to the ship.  We almost regretted the port and thought that another port in Italy might have been more satisfying.  For those disembarking for a holiday in Venice, the transition with luggage was a nightmare, as reported from friends we had met on board.  I support the necessity of docking cruise ships away from the fragile Venice environment, but for those of us on a holiday, it just does not work.

I'm boarding Spirit in Fusina Oct 25th.  Suggestions on how to get there from Venice are appreciated.  The hotel is near the previous Maritime terminal.  No water taxi required.  Will SS still offer bus service from the Maritime cruise port?   If not, I'm hoping to find a reliable car service for a private transfer.