Notes from Queen Anne to the Mediterranean

Host Hattie

22 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

This is brilliant Hattie thank you. Looking forward to all your insights!

PS Is it just me, or do the lectures sound not very exciting? Are there no comedians?

Lectures may not sound exciting, but they do sound potentially interesting, depending, of course, on the standard of delivery. And who goes on Cunard ships to be excited rather than soothed? If I want to be excited I use Cross Country Rail and wait to see if the train is actually running.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Hmm

The mention of  'enforcement' of the dress code wasn't in any of our Daily Programmes, May and July.

I will be interested to see if it's followed through by restaurant staff.

It was enforced on Queen Victoria a few weeks ago, let us hope that they keep doing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Screenshot_20240909_104134_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240909_104201_Chrome.jpg

Oh, activities!  I’ll be attending the Planetary Sciences talk but will skip Looking Good on Television as it all comes naturally. 😜

Apparently I was quite oblivious to what the Bright Lights Society was because I had no clue there was a murder-mystery onboard!  I will definitely be attending that.  

And I have the perfect ensemble to wear for tonight’s gala!  All I need now is a ship.  🫤

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

We opened the Pol Acker and tried it naked

Does stripping off make it taste any better?

I suspect you could do yourself a nasty injury, if you dripped some on some tender skin.

• Haha 5

Indeed ....

Mr HH went off to register for archery and I watched the start of the Barbie film. So if you want to know who goes on a cruise to watch television you have your answer!

I listened to the pianist outside the Chart Room for a while and we went for lunch in Britannia Club. Fish and chips twice in 2 days for me. The restaurant was fairly quiet and the staff were setting up for afternoon tea as tables were emptied. Our waiter explained that they use the restaurant as overflow for the Queens Room as the first few days are very busy. He also recommended going for dinner as soon as the restaurant opened if we wanted to go to the early show. We're happy with the Late show.

Mark Foster was in the lift after lunch so I guess he'll feature as a Speaker at some point this week. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

So if you want to know who goes on a cruise to watch television you have your answer!

😂 I caught up on a few films I had wanted to see (on demand) when we were on QA.  The beauty of cruising is being able to do as much or as little as you want when you want!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

😂 I caught up on a few films I had wanted to see (on demand) when we were on QA.  The beauty of cruising is being able to do as much or as little as you want when you want!

Oh how true! We caught up on a few films too.😀

edit

I don't do an 'hour by hour' post as our time onboard can seem quite banal at times compared to many who are hither and thither all the time, but that's the beauty of a cruise.

One can be really busy or we can be as 'banal' as we want.

We love Cunard  holidays!

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

We've booked for the 9.30 performance tomorrow. By the time I checked yesterday the late show was already full.

Good I am glad you got a booking . Watch out for when it changes. The app is very fair and won’t let you book for the same show twice. 

• Like 3

I’d definitely be going to hear Mark Foster speak if I was onboard - I saw more swimming than almost any other Olympic sport due to the time the finals were scheduled and I thought Mark & Becky Adlington were really engaging, expert summarisers. 

Sorry to hear you you were a bit disappointed in the cocktail menu in the Commodore Club - that was pretty much my reaction when on QM2 in June. 

• Like 3

I had an afternoon nap and we went to the talk on Art thefts in the Queens Room. It was busy and entertaining. Mr HH went to the Purser's office to ask them to print a document for him.

It was Black and White night and Mr HH discovered that he'd left his black dinner jacket at home 🤦‍♀️. He'll be wearing white every formal night then ! We headed to the Chart Room, it was very busy so we ended up with seats outside. Good for people watching and listening to the String Trio, not so good for getting served. We got our drinks eventually and headed into dinner just before 8. One couple on our table were just starting desserts, the other missing.

Food was very good and everyone in the room seemed to be dressed appropriately. 

20240909_203435.jpg

20240909_203439.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We headed to the Queens Room where the dance floor was busy and no sign of a spare table. The Golden Lion was the same so we joined another couple and helped/hindered them to second place in Black and White Trivia. 

We headed into the theatre just after 10 for the second show, it was busy and lots of brave people turned up late. We've seen Mike Doyle before but enjoyed the show. Not many people can make me laugh and cry.

We headed to the Bright Lights for a final drink of the evening and got to bed just after 12. Clocks go forward tonight. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I had an afternoon nap and we went to the talk on Art thefts in the Queens Room. It was busy and entertaining. Mr HH went to the Purser's office to ask them to print a document for him.

It was Black and White night and Mr HH discovered that he'd left his black dinner jacket at home 🤦‍♀️. He'll be wearing white every formal night then ! We headed to the Chart Room, it was very busy so we ended up with seats outside. Good for people watching and listening to the String Trio, not so good for getting served. We got our drinks eventually and headed into dinner just before 8. One couple on our table were just starting desserts, the other missing.

Food was very good and everyone in the room seemed to be dressed appropriately. 

20240909_203435.jpg

20240909_203439.jpg

Can you please show the a la carte menu in BC too?

Fig [and pear?] compote became my go to along with Cambozola and a really yummy 'artisan' biscuit just like Miller's Cranberry and Raisin 'toast' for my dessert.

In other words, I had cheese with my fig conserve/jam/compote and biscuits! 🙂

• Like 2

A late night meant missed breakfast so we made do with tea and biscuits. 

We thought Mark Foster's talk would be busy so we'd catch up on the TV later.

Mr HH went to the Black Jack tournament and I enjoyed the sea and, once the clouds cleared, the sun on the balcony. 

We met up for lunch, just the 2 of us at our table again. 

He went to the Black Jack final (no joy this time) and I checked out the shops. 

20240910_105818.jpg

20240910_121051.jpg

• Like 7

I could go for the entire a la carte menu.  (Making a note of that fig and pear compote, Victoria2). But I'm trying to whittle off a few pounds these days, before our trip in October, so all menus look tempting.

• Like 1

Hattie,

I realise you are in BC but do you go up to the Artisan Food Market, if you do could you find out if there is a Pasta Station, like on Queen Victoria, where they make up a Pasta of your choice.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LEESRE said:

Hattie,

I realise you are in BC but do you go up to the Artisan Food Market, if you do could you find out if there is a Pasta Station, like on Queen Victoria, where they make up a Pasta of your choice.

Many thanks.

There is a pasta station on Queen Anne with the pasta cooked to order. 

• Like 3