Glacier Bay without Margerie Glacier

karatemom2

Has anyone ever visited Glacier Bay without going to Margerie Glacier? We have been many times before and have always gone to Margerie. But today on the Ruby Princess we departed after spending an hour at Johns Hopkins glacier without proceeding onward. NCL Jewel was here in the park with us today and they went to Margerie and then briefly stopped at Johns Hopkins as we were leaving. According to the NPS ranger onboard it was not their call - it was the Captains call to allow Jewel to go to Margerie while we spent the time at Johns Hopkins and there is no restriction set forth by the park service. Johns Hopkins is an impressive glacier and we got closer and spent more time there than in past visits, but still were very surprised we didn’t go on to Margerie glacier. It felt like going to a concert and just seeing the opening act and missing the main artist. It was disappointing - but at least we have been here many times. I did feel sorry for people who are taking this as a one and done Alaska trip who missed it. Very strange!

• Like 1

Nope. Unusual.

Due to the time I go - I have rarely seen close up off John Hopkins glacier because of the Harbor Seals. The inlet is often closed until July.

Edited by Coral

Ditto what Coral said, we've never been able to visit John Hopkins glacier either.  Since you've been to Margerie previously, I would count myself lucky to have as much time at John Hopkins.  Just my opinion of course.

• Like 2

After September 1 cruise ships are allowed to go up John’s Hopkins Inlet.  It’s a very rare treat to do so.  I’m assuming you did cross the line and proceed up the fjord instead of sitting at Jaw Point for an hour.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

After September 1 cruise ships are allowed to go up John’s Hopkins Inlet.  It’s a very rare treat to do so.  I’m assuming you did cross the line and proceed up the fjord instead of sitting at Jaw Point for an hour.  

I think my friend @DougH has done a cruise that went up to John Hopkin's outlet. I don't know if he skipped Marjorie glacier but he did consider it special to do such.

@karatemom2 I would be curious how scenic it was and if you took some pictures, it would be great to see them when you get home.

If you are still reading this and still have park rangers on the boat, you may want to ask them more (how many ships decide to do this per season, etc....). Also, if it is is one or the other, considering the time allowed to be in the area.

Edited by Coral

17 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Has anyone ever visited Glacier Bay without going to Margerie Glacier? We have been many times before and have always gone to Margerie. But today on the Ruby Princess we departed after spending an hour at Johns Hopkins glacier without proceeding onward. NCL Jewel was here in the park with us today and they went to Margerie and then briefly stopped at Johns Hopkins as we were leaving. According to the NPS ranger onboard it was not their call - it was the Captains call to allow Jewel to go to Margerie while we spent the time at Johns Hopkins and there is no restriction set forth by the park service. Johns Hopkins is an impressive glacier and we got closer and spent more time there than in past visits, but still were very surprised we didn’t go on to Margerie glacier. It felt like going to a concert and just seeing the opening act and missing the main artist. It was disappointing - but at least we have been here many times. I did feel sorry for people who are taking this as a one and done Alaska trip who missed it. Very strange!

Within local regulations, the itinerary is entirely at the discretion of the Master, who selects options that s/he believes will be of most interest to the pax.

I haven't cruised Alaska, in September, since I left P&O/Princess, so I haven't visited John's Hopkins since the 1980's. I would consider your recent cruise on Ruby as a rare treat, especially if you cruised past Jaw Point and sailed down the fjord to the glacier.

I recall John Hopkins was spectacular, so I wouldn't agree that it was a disappointment not seeing Margerie, which is seen from most cruises.

• Like 2

I’ve been up there a number of times on research boats and small vessels.  It’s a beautiful place.  I’ve seen a few bears close to the entrance and hundreds of seals.  There are several glaciers back there and John’s Hopkins is even more impressive up close.  Also, a chocolate waterfall!

Posted by the Naturalist on Royal on Facebook.  He’s over the moon at getting within 1000 feet of John’s Hopkins. He’s been on Princess for 16 years and it’s the first time he’s been there!

image.thumb.png.0884678383fb59b3ffc766dddbd04111.png

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 4

Thank you all for putting this into perspective. Yes, we did get right up to the face of the glacier and were informed that it was rare as it is only an option to get that close after September 1, so I guess we were actually lucky. Here is a photo - and we did get a tiny bit of calving and chocolate waterfall!

IMG_1551.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Thank you all for putting this into perspective. Yes, we did get right up to the face of the glacier and were informed that it was rare as it is only an option to get that close after September 1, so I guess we were actually lucky. Here is a photo - and we did get a tiny bit of calving and chocolate waterfall!

IMG_1551.jpeg

Beautiful picture. Maybe one day I will see it! 🙂 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, Coral said:

I think my friend @DougH has done a cruise that went up to John Hopkin's outlet. I don't know if he skipped Marjorie glacier but he did consider it special to do such.

All of this discussion about getting close to glaciers is yet another reason to do small boat and by "small" I mean 200 passengers or less cruises - they get you much closer to stuff including glaciers.

DON

• Like 1