Passport on excursions

1 hour ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

How can this be the case, when passports are not required for closed loop cruises that stop in Mexico? Those traveling without passports are certainly, legally, able to get off the ship in the Mexican ports.

Passports are not required TO GET BACK INTO THE USA for closed loop cruises that stop in a "distant foreign port" under the PVSA. That is a US immigration rule.

People without passports ARE allowed to get off the ship, and doing so violates Mexican law.

Cruise lines just aren't enforcing Mexican law - but Mexican law is 100% clear... everyone in the country (foreigners and citizens) are required to carry identification at all times, and present it when requested by authorities.

Mexico absolutely IS a "Your papers please" country.

US government agrees -

https://mx.usembassy.gov/message-to-u-s-citizens-immigration-enforcement/

"When traveling in Mexico, the law requires that foreign visitors carry a passport and entry permit.  You may be asked to present these documents at any point.  If you do not present these documents, immigration authorities may lawfully detain you for up to 60 days while they review your immigration status."

Mexican government agrees -

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/images/2020/visas/FAQ_13-02-2020.pdf

"A foreigner of any country traveling to Mexico on leisure trips visiting Mexican maritime ports
by cruise, are not required to obtain a visa or consular stamp. The passenger must carry a
valid and not expired passport
or travel document"

18 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Passports are not required TO GET BACK INTO THE USA for closed loop cruises that stop in a "distant foreign port" under the PVSA. That is a US immigration rule.

People without passports ARE allowed to get off the ship, and doing so violates Mexican law.

Cruise lines just aren't enforcing Mexican law - but Mexican law is 100% clear... everyone in the country (foreigners and citizens) are required to carry identification at all times, and present it when requested by authorities.

Mexico absolutely IS a "Your papers please" country.

US government agrees -

https://mx.usembassy.gov/message-to-u-s-citizens-immigration-enforcement/

"When traveling in Mexico, the law requires that foreign visitors carry a passport and entry permit.  You may be asked to present these documents at any point.  If you do not present these documents, immigration authorities may lawfully detain you for up to 60 days while they review your immigration status."

Mexican government agrees -

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/images/2020/visas/FAQ_13-02-2020.pdf

"A foreigner of any country traveling to Mexico on leisure trips visiting Mexican maritime ports
by cruise, are not required to obtain a visa or consular stamp. The passenger must carry a
valid and not expired passport
or travel document"

Not true for closed loop cruises from the US. This is an exception.

See here:

Documents to Visit Mexico on a Cruise Ship in 2024 | Tourist Card MX

Thus, the part you did not bold/underline in your quote "or travel document."

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad

17 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Not true for closed loop cruises from the US. This is an exception.

See here:

Documents to Visit Mexico on a Cruise Ship in 2024 | Tourist Card MX

Thus, the part you did not bold/underline in your quote "or travel document."

Not true to TAKE a closed loop cruise.

The closed loop cruise rule is US ONLY law. The Passenger Vessel Service Act. It has nothing to do with Mexico. So the USA will let you take a cruise (as long as it stops at a distant foreign port) without a passport, and re-enter the USA.

That has zero bearing on Mexican law. Mexican law requires that foreigners carry a passport at all times, and there is no "I came on a cruise ship" exception.

Is it enforced? Nope. Is it the law? Absolutely.

https://www.touristcardmx.com/entry-requirements/us-citizens

"American citizens must have a few essential documents to travel to Mexico. These include:

- US passport
    - FMM tourist card (for land travel)
    - Mexican visa (if applicable)

A visa for Mexico may not be required for US passport holders. This depends on the period of stay and your reason for traveling."

Legal travel documents under Mexican law are:

A passport.
A laissez-passer
An Interpol Travel Document
A US Green Card.
A seafarers' identity document
Israeli Travel Document in Lieu of National Passport

Not a drivers license, not a birth certificate, not a copy of your passport... only the above listed documents qualify.

Edited by aborgman

49 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Not true to TAKE a closed loop cruise.

The closed loop cruise rule is US ONLY law. The Passenger Vessel Service Act. It has nothing to do with Mexico. So the USA will let you take a cruise (as long as it stops at a distant foreign port) without a passport, and re-enter the USA.

That has zero bearing on Mexican law. Mexican law requires that foreigners carry a passport at all times, and there is no "I came on a cruise ship" exception.

Is it enforced? Nope. Is it the law? Absolutely.

https://www.touristcardmx.com/entry-requirements/us-citizens

"American citizens must have a few essential documents to travel to Mexico. These include:

- US passport
    - FMM tourist card (for land travel)
    - Mexican visa (if applicable)

A visa for Mexico may not be required for US passport holders. This depends on the period of stay and your reason for traveling."

Legal travel documents under Mexican law are:

A passport.
A laissez-passer
An Interpol Travel Document
A US Green Card.
A seafarers' identity document
Israeli Travel Document in Lieu of National Passport

Not a drivers license, not a birth certificate, not a copy of your passport... only the above listed documents qualify.

Has nothing at all to do with the PVSA. It's laughable that you think a cruise line can wantonly ignore a country's laws. Mexico, like other countries within the WHTI, make an exception to their passport requirements for those on a closed loop cruise. You can't travel overland in Mexico without a passport but you can legally visit a Mexican port without one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Has nothing at all to do with the PVSA. It's laughable that you think a cruise line can wantonly ignore a country's laws. Mexico, like other countries within the WHTI, make an exception to their passport requirements for those on a closed loop cruise. You can't travel overland in Mexico without a passport but you can legally visit a Mexican port without one. 

There is no exception in Mexican law for people on a cruise. They are very clear about this... here is what the Mexican embassy says:

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/eua/index.php/en/2016-04-09-20-40-51/tourism/1601-3-know-before-you-go

"All citizens of the United States must present a valid passport when entering Mexican territory by any means of transportation. There are no exceptions for minors. Stays less than 72 hours within the border area, do not require an Official Entry Immigration Form (FMM)."

The WHTI says absolutely NOTHING about "closed loop" cruises. "Closed loop" cruises are purely related to the PVSA, and what is required to be sailed by US flagged vessels.

The WHTI also doesn't grant an exception to the Mexican passport law - it is a US law, about streamlining entry TO THE USA from countries in the western hemisphere, and has nothing to do with Mexican law.

18 minutes ago, aborgman said:

There is no exception in Mexican law for people on a cruise. They are very clear about this... here is what the Mexican embassy says:

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/eua/index.php/en/2016-04-09-20-40-51/tourism/1601-3-know-before-you-go

"All citizens of the United States must present a valid passport when entering Mexican territory by any means of transportation. There are no exceptions for minors. Stays less than 72 hours within the border area, do not require an Official Entry Immigration Form (FMM)."

The WHTI says absolutely NOTHING about "closed loop" cruises. "Closed loop" cruises are purely related to the PVSA, and what is required to be sailed by US flagged vessels.

The WHTI also doesn't grant an exception to the Mexican passport law - it is a US law, about streamlining entry TO THE USA from countries in the western hemisphere, and has nothing to do with Mexican law.

Sigh. The WHTI regulations came along over a hundred years after the PVSA and there's no connection between the two. Countries that agreed to the WHTI allow US citizens to enter the country with something other than a passport and Mexico is one of those countries regardless of what is cited. If this weren't so then a cruise ship with even one passenger onboard that didn't have a passport would be denied entry, full stop.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Mexico gets a manifest of every cruise ship passenger sent by the cruise line along with their schedule, as the cruise ship will not admit you without a passport.

In other words, they already know you’re coming and have your passport number and exact schedule for your entire trip with a much greater confidence than if you’d entered by land and told them. What else do they need?

So the check gets done on the ship by the staff, as part of the disembarkation procedures- that’s why the cruise ship asks you to sign up to leave the ship.

And another check is done when you come back, you just need to be observant: as you are putting your stuff on the metal detector and scanning your room key you will sometimes notice a person from the Mexican immigration office (they have little INM symbols on one arm of the otherwise nondescript uniform and usually a blue hat) standing behind the cruise ship employees sho man the computer that shows your picture and data as you go in. It’s discreet because they won’t want to mess with your vacation.

5 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Mexico gets a manifest of every cruise ship passenger sent by the cruise line along with their schedule, as the cruise ship will not admit you without a passport.

In other words, they already know you’re coming and have your passport number and exact schedule for your entire trip with a much greater confidence than if you’d entered by land and told them. What else do they need?

So the check gets done on the ship by the staff, as part of the disembarkation procedures- that’s why the cruise ship asks you to sign up to leave the ship.

And another check is done when you come back, you just need to be observant: as you are putting your stuff on the metal detector and scanning your room key you will sometimes notice a person from the Mexican immigration office (they have little INM symbols on one arm of the otherwise nondescript uniform and usually a blue hat) standing behind the cruise ship employees sho man the computer that shows your picture and data as you go in. It’s discreet because they won’t want to mess with your vacation.

This doesn’t make sense to me…

9 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Yes, they do submit a manifest but on a closed loop cruise not all passengers have a passport. But the manifest does show clearly what documents were presented to prove citizenship. If Mexican law did not have an exception for passengers traveling within the WHTI then the ship would not be allowed in port. 

• Like 2

When we were in St. Petersburg, Russia, we were told to take out passports. On a different cruise we had our passports held by the ship. but were given them back for Dubrovnik, Croatia because they required them. But we have never been told that we must carry our passports off in Mexico. If they were required like the other ports I mentioned, passengers would have been instructed to carry them with them when going off the ship.

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

When we were in St. Petersburg, Russia, we were told to take out passports. On a different cruise we had our passports held by the ship. but were given them back for Dubrovnik, Croatia because they required them. But we have never been told that we must carry our passports off in Mexico. If they were required like the other ports I mentioned, passengers would have been instructed to carry them with them when going off the ship.

Agree, on 65+ cruises an over 180+ (no idea really) ports of call, the only time we took passports is when the cruise line (usually at the request/order of the port) told us to.  There were times when the cruise line/ port had us surrender them, but that is a different story.  Other than that I would never bring passports off the ship (it could only end poorly).  There simply was/is no reason to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Sigh. The WHTI regulations came along over a hundred years after the PVSA and there's no connection between the two. Countries that agreed to the WHTI allow US citizens to enter the country with something other than a passport and Mexico is one of those countries regardless of what is cited. If this weren't so then a cruise ship with even one passenger onboard that didn't have a passport would be denied entry, full stop.

" The WHTI regulations came along over a hundred years after the PVSA and there's no connection between the two"

Correct... and the PVSA has to do with "closed loop" cruises, and the WHTI never mentions them.

"Countries that agreed to the WHTI allow US citizens to enter the country with something other than a passport and Mexico is one of those countries regardless of what is cited."

100% false.

No other countries agreed to anything with WHTI. WHTI is purely USA law that has no effect on other countries laws and other countries were not involved. It is only about about what the USA requires for entry into the USA for certain people from certain countries in the Western Hemisphere.

The WHTI did not change any entry requirements for any country outside the USA.

4 minutes ago, aborgman said:

" The WHTI regulations came along over a hundred years after the PVSA and there's no connection between the two"

Correct... and the PVSA has to do with "closed loop" cruises, and the WHTI never mentions them.

"Countries that agreed to the WHTI allow US citizens to enter the country with something other than a passport and Mexico is one of those countries regardless of what is cited."

100% false.

No other countries agreed to anything with WHTI. WHTI is purely USA law that has no effect on other countries laws and other countries were not involved. It is only about about what the USA requires for entry into the USA for certain people from certain countries in the Western Hemisphere.

The WHTI did not change any entry requirements for any country outside the USA.

Prior to WHTI those countries allowed US citizens to enter on a cruise with a simple declaration of citizenship. They were all notified what would be involved with WHTI and since those requirements were more stringent than what had previously been allowed they were okay with it. Yes, each country does have the absolute right to require more than what WHTI does for cruise passengers. Only two that I am aware of require more.

12 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, they do submit a manifest but on a closed loop cruise not all passengers have a passport. But the manifest does show clearly what documents were presented to prove citizenship. If Mexican law did not have an exception for passengers traveling within the WHTI then the ship would not be allowed in port. 

Ty Sparks. Always a beacon in the night. There is no way that every ship from every line has 100% of pax with passports.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Drivers license, yes. passport no. 

I once physically lost my driver's license in Key West. Luckily, they let me back on the ship.

(Later, after going through the DMV hassle and cost of replacing my license, someone must hve found it and mailed it to me.)

55 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I once physically lost my driver's license in Key West. Luckily, they let me back on the ship.

(Later, after going through the DMV hassle and cost of replacing my license, someone must hve found it and mailed it to me.)

I was pickpocketed once in Barcelona and they got my license and a credit card. I’d rather my license be stolen than my passport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I was pickpocketed once in Barcelona and they got my license and a credit card. I’d rather my license be stolen than my passport. 

Our very first cruise embarked in Barcelona. It was in 2002, and the entire travel industry was still reeling. Those of us who had ship transfers were all given a free tour of Barcelona prior to being taken to the ship for boarding. And unfortunately, one of the passengers had her passport pickpocketed.

Everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to this (And everything else!). 
We bring our passports with us.  That’s why we have them. lol.  We believe we should have them when out of the USA, just because you never know what could happen.  Any delay in leaving some of the countries we visit could be very costly and/or dangerous.  Yes, we risk losing them but for us it’s worth that slight risk. We are pretty cautious with ourselves and our belongings.