Tote bag / large purse for on ship (not pool bag)

Hi there - my husband and I like to bar hop on ships and sit and work on a puzzle book, play cards/small board game, or read on our Kindles.  I want a small bag that I can carry with me that has these items in it.  It can be pretty simple, but ideally I'd also like to be able to bring it to dinner with me so it has to look halfway decent.  Any ideas for something like this?  Based on my searches this doesn't seem to be a super common thing to bring (or at least talk about 😀).

49 minutes ago, kelly94942 said:

Hi there - my husband and I like to bar hop on ships and sit and work on a puzzle book, play cards/small board game, or read on our Kindles.  I want a small bag that I can carry with me that has these items in it.  It can be pretty simple, but ideally I'd also like to be able to bring it to dinner with me so it has to look halfway decent.  Any ideas for something like this?  Based on my searches this doesn't seem to be a super common thing to bring (or at least talk about 😀).

What's wrong with a regular canvas tote bag?

There are some that have a zipper if you are concerned about things falling out.

You could just set it next to your chair at dinner, similar to a handbag.

You're on vacation, not at a high-powered business dinner (in which case a simple tote bag might still be quite acceptable)...

ETA:  You wrote "not pool bag".  What is an official "pool bag"?

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

I always carry larger purses, which I carry my knitting, ereader, phone, notebook & pen, and various other odds and ends in. 

My current rotation includes a Tom Bihn Swift (both the regular size and the mini, which are less dressy), a Coach 'hobo' style bag, and a LaFlore Doquentin. The LaFlore bags would be something to look into - they're made from cork, have brass hardware, and are both very useful and relatively dressy. 

• Like 2

For whatever reason Mrs Ldubs has started to prefer traveling with Kipling bags of various shapes, sizes, & colors.  She will bring two or three so she can mix and match I suppose.   I like them because they have a monkey keychain thing (they are also a lot easier on the pocketbook than the designer ones).   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

I just kept looking in the discount stores to find exactly the same thing.  Found a decent-looking black one in a thrift store!  Can be carried with a handle on top, or long adjustable strap on my shoulder.  Designer names are meaningless to me, I'm all about function; part of function is looking good enough to take to dinner.  

Look for a tote bag on ETSY.  There are lots of them, all sizes and colors.  Sometimes you can ask the seller/maker for particular features.   I wanted a cross body bag in bright colors.  I get so many compliments on it that I asked the seller/maker for some business cards.  I often wander around with my iPad mimi4 and Kindle paperwhite.  I prefer the iPad to phone for pulling up menus in the app of whatever line I’m on.  I often hand it to the person next to me who is madly trying to find it on their phone.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

On 9/12/2024 at 9:21 AM, kelly94942 said:

Hi there - my husband and I like to bar hop on ships and sit and work on a puzzle book, play cards/small board game, or read on our Kindles. 

I don't carry a bag around the ship, but I do have a small purse that fits my Kindle perfectly:  It's a Vera Badley.  Cross-body something.  It's flat.  They have numerous bags that'd work well.  

On 9/12/2024 at 10:10 AM, GeezerCouple said:

ETA:  You wrote "not pool bag".  What is an official "pool bag"?

I'd think a pool bag would be brighter in color and waterproof; those things would set them apart from a typical handbag.  

On 9/12/2024 at 10:45 AM, jsn55 said:

I'm all about function; part of function is looking good enough to take to dinner.  

Agree.  I take three bags on every cruise: 

- A small backpack, which is my carry-on for Embarkation Day.  I also use it for island days.  

- A small, open-topped pool bag (think size of a 6-pack), which is not typical, but I've had it for decades and love it.  I would not take it to dinner, as it's bright blue and orange and was born a shower tote -- it was a gift from my MIL from Bath & Body Works.  

- A flat wristlet that I can carry around the ship or take to dinner.  

On 9/13/2024 at 7:48 AM, PoppyVelvet said:

Do you carry much to dinner? I just carry my phone and cruise card usually so I don’t bother with a bag. That way you can get one to suit your daytime requirements. 

Pretty much nothing.  Maybe my Ship ID, but since my husband has his, and he will get us back into the room or buy me a drink, it's not 100% necessary.