Are there any BAD balcony cabins on Adventure?

cruiseguy1016

We are considering a cruise on Adventure next February and the only balcony cabins available are GTYs. I know most of the time the GTY cabins are the ones that no one has reserved and it's usually because they are not preferred. I use the term not preferred, but does that mean they are BAD? There are many cabins that I would prefer over others but that doesn't necessarily make the less preferred cabins bad. So, my question is, are there any balcony cabins that are truly bad? Should I stay away from a balcony GTY for fear of getting stuck in one of the BAD cabins If you've been in one of these, why did you think it was bad?

11 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We are considering a cruise on Adventure next February and the only balcony cabins available are GTYs. I know most of the time the GTY cabins are the ones that no one has reserved and it's usually because they are not preferred. I use the term not preferred, but does that mean they are BAD? There are many cabins that I would prefer over others but that doesn't necessarily make the less preferred cabins bad. So, my question is, are there any balcony cabins that are truly bad? Should I stay away from a balcony GTY for fear of getting stuck in one of the BAD cabins If you've been in one of these, why did you think it was bad?

A lot of times it is cabins that Royal has blocked to fulfill group commitments for TA's and nothing to do whether they were bad or not.  Royal does not purposely hold back all the "bad" cabins as everyone's definition of bad vs good cabins is different.

That being said you could end up under the pool deck...some people care, some don't: you could end up with a connecting cabin again some care and some don't or you could end up with an aft facing cabin or one all the way forward.  There is no rhyme nor reason what is held back to fulfill guarantees and have seen prime midship cabins assigned as well as ones that while there is nothing wrong with them they would not have been my first choice.

I'm guessing that the guarantee balcony is probably priced less than booking an oceanview where you get to pick a cabin

Is adventure one of the ships that has some balcony cabins with metal frames (balconies are part of the ship structure) and some that have the glass? Or is that on the voyager class ships that were built after adventure?

If adventure has a mixture of these, then the more desirable balconies are (I think) decks 7 and above, but don't quote me on any of this. Someone who knows for sure will confirm. 

29 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Is adventure one of the ships that has some balcony cabins with metal frames (balconies are part of the ship structure) and some that have the glass? Or is that on the voyager class ships that were built after adventure?

If adventure has a mixture of these, then the more desirable balconies are (I think) decks 7 and above, but don't quote me on any of this. Someone who knows for sure will confirm. 

Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure are V1 (with balconies built into the hull).  Mariner and Navigator are V2 (balconies attached to the hull).

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Thanks 1

I’ve booked several GTY cabins and have never got a “bad” one. In fact most were in very good locations. I think some (if not a lot) are “good” cabins that were booked early on in the release that people cancelled by the time final payment rolled around. 
As an example, I have a GTY balcony booked on Ovation right now that was assigned to 8258 which is a good (unobstructed) deck and close to the elevators - a cabin I would have considered if I’d chosen one. 
BUT there’s always a chance you could get a lousy location as well. 
If the price is right, I’ve never backed away from a GTY..

As an aside, I don’t like Adventure balconies because they’re like sitting behind a steel wall. 

Edited by HicksRA
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

You may be thinking of Quantum class ships and not Adventure which only has 4 obstructed balconies that all are aft facing on deck 6.

And I don't consider those obstructed. The size of the balcony more than makes up for any "obstruction".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken at the beach said:

You may be thinking of Quantum class ships and not Adventure which only has 4 obstructed balconies that all are aft facing on deck 6.

For someone who has never sailed on a V1 Voyager class ship like Adventure but has sailed on newer ships like Mariner with all glass balconies, they may consider the steel superstructure that blocks the bottom half and side walls of the balcony from any ocean view on all Adventure balconies as "obstructed". 

Just now, orville99 said:

For someone who has never sailed on a V1 Voyager class ship like Adventure but has sailed on newer ships like Mariner with all glass balconies, they may consider the steel superstructure that blocks the bottom half and side walls of the balcony from any ocean view on all Adventure balconies as "obstructed". 

That would only be the person that posted as Royal does not consider them obstructed

1 hour ago, Ken at the beach said:

That would only be the person that posted as Royal does not consider them obstructed

Royal is not the one actually experiencing a balcony on Adventure for the first time. We have sailed on Adventure 9 times so far this year, and have a B3B coming up in two weeks in the same suite numbers that we sailed on the same itineraries on Mariner in prior years, and while RCL may not consider the balconies "obstructed", a cruiser who has sailed on newer V2 Voyager class ships would be hard pressed to consider the balconies on any of the three V1 Voyager class ships anything other than "obstructed" by comparison.