Returning to Explora 1 after almost a year

uktog

4 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

There is Pimms available in the bars but it isn’t on the list available in your suite by the bottle although I’m sure you could get a glass delivered

We found they were happy for us to select bottles of anything that was a standard pour in the bars for delivery to our room for consumption there (subject to them having it in stock) - we were not limited to a list to choose from 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Not too clear sorry but the current wine list however not all is available- of the Malbec only the Italian exists and it’s “so so” 

IMG_6758.jpeg

That’s a GREAT list for Sunday - would you mind posting the lists for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday if you get the chance?!

I hope that someone from Head Office is reading this!!!

• Haha 1

Day 4 and still no sign of our spirits 

Back to guest relations who confirmed they’d contacted the attendant the previous day and he’d advised he’d left the list in our room the previous day

We knew that wasn’t the case but they said they would chase again. 
Eventually saw our attendant who changed his story three times in three sentences confirming to us he clearly hadn’t brought this list until now. 

We are now negotiating to change our wine to a second spirit (having previously confirmed with guest relations that would be no problem but we have to let others have their power trips!)

Here is the list we got, I hope our next post is of the bottles, probably 5cl miniatures 😂😂😂

IMG_6760.jpeg

• Like 1

Sounds like the African suite attendant my neighbors had for their cove residence.   I mentioned a few of the problems in a previous post.  The guests  were so put off, Explora lost a super new to cruising couple that will never return.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, uktog said:

Day 4 and still no sign of our spirits 

Back to guest relations who confirmed they’d contacted the attendant the previous day and he’d advised he’d left the list in our room the previous day

We knew that wasn’t the case but they said they would chase again. 
Eventually saw our attendant who changed his story three times in three sentences confirming to us he clearly hadn’t brought this list until now. 

We are now negotiating to change our wine to a second spirit (having previously confirmed with guest relations that would be no problem but we have to let others have their power trips!)

Here is the list we got, I hope our next post is of the bottles, probably 5cl miniatures 😂😂😂

IMG_6760.jpeg

That’s unfortunate you are having problems with what should be a pretty simple task.  I’ve read on these boards that you can request alternate sprits than those listed.  For those of you who have sailed with Explora before has that been your experience as well?  For example, if we wanted to request a dark rum and some ginger beer for a dark and stormy on the balcony?  I know that would be assuming they have something appropriate in stock but we will be sailing in the Caribbean so…

Yes, they’ve provided Tanquerey for us and filled our fridge with fever tree tonic and lagunitas, which has been the only IPA they have had on the ship the past two times we’ve sailed. Hoping for more IPA variety on our next sailing, but not expecting it. 

Pleased to report the spirits are with us 😀.

Not without issue, we traded the wine for a second bottle of spirits. We asked for Whisky and Gin. A tip to any non US guests don’t ask for whisky name the brand, they brought Jack Daniel’s (nice sized bottle to be fair) then to get it swapped to whisky without an e required more hoops and the stateroom attendant claiming he had to get his supervisors permission now the bottle had been in our room.  24 hours later we finally now have a rather small bottle of Glenmorangie but all is well!  The tonic we were given is Schweppes- ok but not “premium”
They really do need to get their act together on this process which shouldn’t take to Day 4 to sort out. 

Other changes much less port information provided than last year (aka zero). We were ok today as we’ve been to Thessaloniki before so knew what were doing but others were pretty fazed when the port shuttle dropped us at the dock gates and there was zero information, maps etc.  Poor move

The food offerings continue to delight! 

• Like 3

My suite attendant has been wonderful, i asked for a few things and the day after they were in my cabin. I haven’t even touched the bottle of champagne and cognac in my suite…i guess some other guests will enjoy those,,,

I found last night show very boring so i went to deck 11 and the duo was excellent, too bad nobody ever goes there in the evening because it is a beautiful space.

Today transfer by bus was almost comical, i mean it was a 5 minutes walk…

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chefchick said:

That’s unfortunate you are having problems with what should be a pretty simple task.  I’ve read on these boards that you can request alternate sprits than those listed.  For those of you who have sailed with Explora before has that been your experience as well?  For example, if we wanted to request a dark rum and some ginger beer for a dark and stormy on the balcony?  I know that would be assuming they have something appropriate in stock but we will be sailing in the Caribbean so…

We sailed in January in Caribbean.  We asked for ( and received) a large bottle of dark rum.  We told our room attendant that we didn’t drink sodas except for ginger beer.  She kept our fridge well stocked , enough for dark and stormy whenever we  liked and enough to take to the beach.

With our picnic lunches. 

enjoy your trip, it’s a wonderful ship despite a few weak spots.  I heading out in a week for my 3rd Explora “journey “ . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The entertainment is much better but still far too “samey”. I’m ok they use the singers in various ways across the lounge shows but to have only one guest artist who is also also a singer singing very similar genres is getting too repetitive 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I completely agree - they are good singers but I’m getting board of seeing the same style entertainment and we have another 9 days to go !

I fear as they keep talking about the end of cruise on Friday we are in for a series of repeats then. I for one will be VERY unhappy at that 

Edited by uktog

1 hour ago, Sololux said:

Your feedbacks are very helpful in managing expectations so please continue.  I hope that, despite the entertainment issues, you continue to have good holidays/vacations!

I am certainly enjoying the excellent food onboard!  As good food is important to me in my assessment of a holiday it’s still a thumbs up. 
The entertainment is fine but not at the level you’d expect but far better than before

The Service by the crew ranges from very good to amateurish- the obsession is speed not necessarily service. Be ready to have not even sat down before you’re pounced on for a drink  order or - my absolute pet hate- your plate will be whipped away as soon as you’ve eaten your last mouthful even though your partner is eating. Last night in Fil Rouge my husband had a piece of bread in his hand and his side plate was whipped away when he went to lay it back down after a bite 😂

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I completely agree - they are good singers but I’m getting board of seeing the same style entertainment and we have another 9 days to go !

Yeah they do need more variety and more local artists or shows would surely be appreciated. They basically have 6 singers and a duo that are way too similar, some other stuff would be nice. 

I have also done a couple of excursions and they were really poor, add the price in the equation and the experience has been abysmal quite honestly.

Their prices for a private car to istanbul airport are also ridiculously high.

On a personal note i thought last week guests were more friendly than this week (although the ship felt more quiet), not sure why most people can’t even say hallo when you see them in the corridors. 

P.S.

Don’t get me started on some spanish speaking guests that were doing a loud video chat in a public space ..how insensitive can people possibly be….

• Like 4

Thank you @Khareef  we thought it was us but this is the “rudest” cruise we have ever experienced. Even doing video calls during the show. The Entertainment Host also was standing engaging in chat with the guests seated behind us during the show. I put on my best Paddington Bear stare! 
Have you looked at Welcome Pickups for Istanbul. We’ve used them there and in other European cities and always been very happy with them. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thank you @Khareef  we thought it was us but this is the “rudest” cruise we have ever experienced. Even doing video calls during the show. The Entertainment Host also was standing engaging in chat with the guests seated behind us during the show. I put on my best Paddington Bear stare! 
Have you looked at Welcome Pickups for Istanbul. We’ve used them there and in other European cities and always been very happy with them. 

well doing a video chat in the spa is a new low in my book…i am afraid  the spanish speaking world seems to have a whole different approach to sharing spaces together. 

Thanks for the tip I’ll have a look at it right now, we are going to Galata port right? Any idea what gate or specific entrance we will be disembarking?

Btw i recently found out that i was awarded some on board credit, i don’t recall their website or app mentioning this thing, 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Khareef said:

well doing a video chat in the spa is a new low in my book…i am afraid  the spanish speaking world seems to have a whole different approach to sharing spaces together. 

This happened to me recently at the Ritz Amelia Island.  Two ladies started facetiming in the relaxation room, speaking loudly in Spanish and panning the room to show where they were.  I went to the front desk when they did not stop and asked that someone come in and explain common courtesy.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Khareef said:

Thanks for the tip I’ll have a look at it right now, we are going to Galata port right? Any idea what gate or specific entrance we will be disembarking?

Btw i recently found out that i was awarded some on board credit, i don’t recall their website or app mentioning this thing, 

I know it’s the new cruise terminal (confirmed by the staff captain this lunch time) but not the gate I’m afraid. Guest relations might know more though I’m not sure if Georgis didn’t but they might have had an update 
How appalling to have to experience that behaviour in the spa. 
This afternoon we were awoken by them shouting across the pool to each other so sharing space is a different concept- it was a Mexican cabal causing noise there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I know it’s the new cruise terminal (confirmed by the staff captain this lunch time) but not the gate I’m afraid. Guest relations might know more though I’m not sure if Georgis didn’t but they might have had an update 
How appalling to have to experience that behaviour in the spa. 
This afternoon we were awoken by them shouting across the pool to each other so sharing space is a different concept- it was a Mexican cabal causing noise there. 

I second the Welcome pickups suggestion - used them before from Airport to hotel in Istanbul.

There is no gate specifically at Galataport.  One big port area and terminal.  Luggage goes to either the North or South area of the terminal -- separated between the terminals is a large bus parking area.  Generally just need to give the cruise line and ship and communicate to the driver via WhatsApp.  They will likely park in the garage so you take the elevator with driver to the garage.

Your Spanish guests are not unique to Explora, had a similar group on Regent and yes they had face-time chats from the coffee bar to the Compass Rose on Regent.  The maitre'd finally intervened.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I second the Welcome pickups suggestion - used them before from Airport to hotel in Istanbul.

There is no gate specifically at Galataport.  One big port area and terminal.  Luggage goes to either the North or South area of the terminal -- separated between the terminals is a large bus parking area.  Generally just need to give the cruise line and ship and communicate to the driver via WhatsApp.  They will likely park in the garage so you take the elevator with driver to the garage.

Thanks, i downloaded the app but i am not sure what pickup place should i put, when i type galata i see all sort of hotels and stuff but no cruise terminal. Any tips there? sorry for the ot 

33 minutes ago, Khareef said:

Thanks, i downloaded the app but i am not sure what pickup place should i put, when i type galata i see all sort of hotels and stuff but no cruise terminal. Any tips there? sorry for the ot 

Interesting - you are correct hard to find... everything I search is a store or special area. 

There are so many rules at the port.  I heard that some taxi drivers cannot enter the special cruise drop off area inside the terminal.  Leave passengers at the D entrance where to have to walk to the checkin area.  When we did hotel car, driver parked in the parking and we took with porters an elevator to the checkin area.

So maybe that Welcome is not Welcomed at the port. 

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately the loud video calling is endemic onboard. A large Asian group were also annoying at breakfast. The suited supervisors are either not empowered to intervene or are unwilling. 

It’s a breezy sea day. Turned up at an activity on the sports deck - no one there, not even a staff member to say they had cancelled it. 

Chairhogs out in force at the inside pool area. All chairs are “occupied” though only about 20% have bodies. It’s pleasant here but the Muzak is weird and gets on my nerves. Yes I could go and get my AirPods, maybe the other 80% of pool chair reservers are trying to find their ones 😂

Excellent dinner last night though spotty service. Maitre D very defensive and not up for constructive feedback 

• Thanks 2