What are the benefits of booking a cruise while onboard?

TomTN

2 hours ago, RELS said:

Yes. If you have a TA of record, they'll transfer the reservation for you.

Is there a time limit as to how long the transfer can be done? Our daughter booked on board in 2023 for a cruise in March 2025. She talked to Regent about transferring over this weekend and was told the window for that was closed. That was news to me.

2 hours ago, CardowMD said:

Do you have to book within 30 days? Was a little confused about that part.

Onboard booking benefits are available 30 days before the cruise and onboard. Used to be also available 30 days after, but they changed that a while ago. You can cancel with no penalty within 30 days. I *think* 30 days is also the transfer-to-an-agent limit, but I'm not so sure about that one.

You get a discount approx 2.5% but can vary depending on stateroom

You have a reduced deposit of $1000 - you cannot use OBC for this down payment.  This is per segment so if you have a B2B the down payment is $2000.

You get some OBC $100 either on the future cruise or current cruise

By default it goes to the travel agent of record on your current cruise,  You have 30 days to transfer it.

You get a lower price guarantee that Regent will match any promotions up to final payment.  There are lots of caveats to this -- like stateroom category still available which on many late close in sales will not be available.

You can cancel the cruise and move it to another ONE time and still get the benefits

YOU CAN GET ALL OF THESE WITHOUT BEING ONBOARD.  You can book 30 days prior to embarking through your TA and get these benefits.

• Like 2

You're also not required to have your TA of record receive the reservation.  Make sure you mention you don't want it automatically being transferred to them.  Then you can play a couple of TA's off each other if you wish to negotiate better benefits from the TA.  You can use the appropriate form within the deadline period to transfer to the TA of choice.

19 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

You're also not required to have your TA of record receive the reservation.  Make sure you mention you don't want it automatically being transferred to them.  Then you can play a couple of TA's off each other if you wish to negotiate better benefits from the TA.  You can use the appropriate form within the deadline period to transfer to the TA of choice.

why would you do this???  I stick to one that gives great benefits.  I get loyalty from him and when things go wrong (and they do) he goes to bat for use calling the VP of Sales.  Has happened several times with Oceania, Regent and Quark.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

why would you do this???  I stick to one that gives great benefits.  I get loyalty from him and when things go wrong (and they do) he goes to bat for use calling the VP of Sales.  Has happened several times with Oceania, Regent and Quark.

Sometimes not everyone is as happy as you with their TA.

Sometimes customers can be taken for granted which can happen after using the same TA for a long time. I want to see what benefits they're offering.

I'm sure people can have other reasons. However anyone who is happy having their reservation automatically transferred can do so.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 3