HAL Prohibited Items now includes multi-plug outlets

Fubie

44 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Perhaps they should re-word these sentences to be abundantly clear, to something like the following:

What items are prohibited on board Holland America Line cruises?  "Electrical devices with surge protectors such as small fans, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, power strips/extension cords."

But this is a split infinitive.  The 'such as' refers to 'Electrical devices' it does not refer to 'surge protectors such as small fans'.  They are ok if the electrical device does not have a surge protector.

So, it should say, "What items are prohibited on board Holland America Line cruises?"   "Electrical devices, such as small fans, multi plug box outlets/adaptors etc, which have surge protection.

note the comma after 'electrical devices' and the comma after 'etc'. 

• Like 2

The takeaway here is that the headline is wrong. Reacting to the headlines, hackles go up and knickers twist.

The concensus is that we'd be happier if the prohibited items list read:

Electrical devices such as small fans with surge protectors, multi plug box outlets with surge protectors/adaptors with surge protectors, power strips with surge protectors /extension cords with surge protectors.

Because unless someone beats us over the head with surge protectors, it's not going to sink in.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We take some thing very similar on board & have had no problems ever 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I recently bought something "cruise friendly" like this. I hope they let me use it on Eurodam this winter, because last time I was on that ship, the USB ports in the room were so loose that I couldn't get a good connection to charge my phone with them. 

But why would you take a chance of causing a fire if your device is a surge protector?  Would it not be wiser to just buy a non-surge protector device?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

But why would you take a chance of causing a fire if your device is a surge protector?  Would it not be wiser to just buy a non-surge protector device?

That's the point of what I bought. It doesn't have a surge protector. But one version of HAL's policy seems to say that any multi-outlet device is banned. 

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

For example, if I wrote, "We enjoy traveling, dining and drinking with friends," you would not assume that we did did not like the first two things with friends, would you? (If you said, "Why yes, POA1 only likes to drink with friends. He prefers travel and eating alone." You would be misreading the sentence. Also, your elementary school teachers who tried to teach you grammar would be sad.)

Actually, if the silly one were striving for correct grammar, he/she would have said, "POA1 likes to drink only with friends."

How very subtle.

Query: Would the confusion be allayed with use of the Oxford comma? or compounded? "We enjoy traveling, dining, and drinking with friends." 

Years ago, the widow of an automotive titan bequeathed a very large sum of money to the City of Detroit that she directed be used for "a fountain in the park at the foot of Woodward Avenue." When the fountain was built the residuary heirs objected on the grounds that the fountain, while built in the park, was not built at the foot of Woodward. An English professor from the University of Michigan testified as an expert that the absence of a comma preceding the modifier "at the foot of Woodward" meant that it referred to the park and not to the fountain. 

The city won. The heirs lost.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I've ever seen a personal fan with a surge protector. 

I do have a personal fan that is powered by USB, but I would hesitate to bring it in the future until some cruisers have reported that their fans without surge protectors weren't confiscated.

On 9/19/2024 at 1:19 PM, Fubie said:

Yesterday I watched a video titled Royal Caribbean Just BANNED This On Their Ships by the MidShips YouTube channel and was surprised to find out that Royal Caribbean is now banning multi-outlet plug adapters.  I know I have looked at the HAL prohibited items list in the past but I decided to check now and see if any changes had been made.  I was disappointed but not surprised to find, almost at the bottom of the list:

Electrical devices such as small fans, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, power strips/extension cords with surge protectors.

Has anyone experienced these adapters being confiscated?  

Hmmm.  They ban "multi-plug box outlets."  But there is no ban on multi-plug round outlets!  Go figure.  

Hank

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MaxThrusters said:

I'm glad I read through that list, as I had thought about bringing a drone to take some aerial photos while ashore! That being said, am appalled that small fans are prohibited? I bought a small hand held/table-top USB powered fan recently. Why in the world would that be prohibited? Because of the battery? My laptop and camera have bigger batteries of the same type lol

I take a small USB fan with me and never had an issue, including my HAL cruise in August. I was surprised to see that on the list OP cited.

• Like 1