West Coast to Australia Flight

duquephart

Many years ago, we flew in Economy in a row of three, and it did not work for us, so we checked out different options for later flights.   Depending upon what airline you fly, you can (or used to be able to)buy the middle seat in a three across row in Economy.  My DH and I did that one time.  We have also flown Premium Economy and, although it definitely wasn't Business Class, it did work for us.  It was seats of two for the window and aisle.  We have also flown Business Class and it wins hands down, but we would have no issue with flying Premium Economy again.  Of course, it depends upon the airline and the length of the flight. 

I hope that you find something that works well for you.

28 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I always check seat guru to see what type of aircraft is on the route.

SeatGuru has been abandoned by its owner, Trip Advisor.

They still have aircraft listed that are no longer operated by that airline.  And even airlines that don't exist anymore.

Beware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I'll leave my comments towards you on the point above, that I would be surprised and honestly proud if any significant amount of flyers did this level of due diligence when buying airfare for this length of travel. (assuming domestic USA to AU/NZ) I am unable to define significant.

Folks think one airplane is just like another.  Which can't be farther from the truth.

For example, let me pose this question to the group:  Which US airline has the greatest seat pitch between rows for coach?  

9 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Folks think one airplane is just like another.  Which can't be farther from the truth.

For example, let me pose this question to the group:  Which US airline has the greatest seat pitch between rows for coach?  

Correct on that point.  Flying American Chicago to LAX in Premium Economy we were on. 777 which originated in London.  Premium Economy on a 777 International setup exceeded the experience of Business domestic.  

As always your mileage may vary 

• Like 1

We have flown to Australia twice.  Once from SFO to Auckland connecting to Sydney on Air New Zealand Business Class.

The second time was from SFO to LAX to Singapore to Bali where caught the ship on Australia circumnavigation.  We used Singapore Air in this route.  Returning home Sydney to SFO we used United Polaris.

All that being said we are glad we paid the extra dollars.  We got lounge access.  We got extra room for carry on.  We got on the plane first.  Getting up to go to the bathroom many times during 14 hours was simply getting up and going vs having to climb over people.

And lastly we arrived refreshed to begin our cruise not tired and sore.

Going west is easier though.  Going east to Europe which we will be doing next year is much worse with jet lag.  All that body rhythm cycle abuse can set you up for getting sick.

That happened to me big time in 1981 where I flew SFO to Munich via Frankfurt in Economy.  Never again!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, duquephart said:

Is it survivable in economy? I can do sardine for a couple of hours - but twelve? 

For 20 something Jim yes.  For present day Jim what the @#^%& are you thinking?

In the past year we have flown a 17 hour, a 14 hour and 4 11 hour flights.  Had we had to be in economy we would not have done any of the trips.  

Since the average Viking cruise (for a couple) generally runs to five figures, a few thousand more to enjoy the coming and going better should not be a problem.  If it is the cruise should probably be in question.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

For 20 something Jim yes.  For present day Jim what the @#^%& are you thinking?

In the past year we have flown a 17 hour, a 14 hour and 4 11 hour flights.  Had we had to be in economy we would not have done any of the trips.  

Since the average Viking cruise (for a couple) generally runs to five figures, a few thousand more to enjoy the coming and going better should not be a problem.  If it is the cruise should probably be in question.

Perfectly stated...and could not agree more.  Thank you.  🙂 

• Like 2

We flew regular non-premium economy to and from our Viking Australia and New Zealand cruise in 2023. Seventeen hours going and 13 returning. On the return, I was in the very middle seat. It was fine. Actually, I preferred it over the much shorter European flights (for those of us on the eastern half of the USA). Why? Because I took some Z-Quil and slept 8-9 hours each way, which meant I just woke up and started a new day without jet leg. None whatsoever. (I do always bring an inflatable pillow - not a neck style - which helps me support my neck.) I recently returned from Ireland and a 5-6 hour flight is not long enough to sleep off the medication so I didn’t take; jet lag was an issue.

DH did not do this going and saw how much better I slept and recovered, so he did on the way back and agreed it worked well.

Obviously only you can determine if a medication is right for you or safe to use. But it worked well for us. 

Edited by amtatom

Let me add one other complication for us older types although some younger types are affected as well.

CPAPs!!!  In business class there is plenty of room and outlets to run your CPAPs.  Try that in the middle seat of economy.  Saying you could skip a night is not always the healthiest thing to do.  There are a number of people who have died during apnea attacks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zalusky said:

CPAPs!!!  In business class there is plenty of room and outlets to run your CPAPs.  Try that in the middle seat of economy.  Saying you could skip a night is not always the healthiest thing to do.  There are a number of people who have died during apnea attacks.

I hope you are aware that a number of airlines prohibit the use of a CPAP machine inflight.  And that others will only allow it with prior permission and approval of your machine and your power situation. The power outlets on an aircraft are not designed to handle the requirements of some machines - they provide power at 400 Hz, far different than the typical 50/60 Hz you find at home.

This is an aircraft safety issue, so I do not want anyone flaunting rules.

50 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I hope you are aware that a number of airlines prohibit the use of a CPAP machine inflight.  And that others will only allow it with prior permission and approval of your machine and your power situation. The power outlets on an aircraft are not designed to handle the requirements of some machines - they provide power at 400 Hz, far different than the typical 50/60 Hz you find at home.

I am definitely aware and have in both cases made sure the airline allowed it and pre-requested that I can use my CPAP machine.  I specifically gave them the make and model of the machine.  I did not use the humidifier chamber and use the special cap to run without it.  I also used a special rebreather sponge to capture my exhaust moisture to maintain humidity.  Neither myself or or my wife have ever been given a hard time.  United, Singapore Air, and Air New Zealand were all accommodating in the long haul connections.

5 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I am definitely aware and have in both cases made sure the airline allowed it and pre-requested that I can use my CPAP machine.  I specifically gave them the make and model of the machine.  I did not use the humidifier chamber and use the special cap to run without it.  I also used a special rebreather sponge to capture my exhaust moisture to maintain humidity.  Neither myself or or my wife have ever been given a hard time.  United, Singapore Air, and Air New Zealand were all accommodating in the long haul connections.

Just making it clear....your original statement made it sound as if you could just use a CPAP with no issues anywhere.  There are most assuredly both airlines and machines that are not approved for inflight CPAP usage.

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just making it clear....your original statement made it sound as if you could just use a CPAP with no issues anywhere.  There are most assuredly both airlines and machines that are not approved for inflight CPAP usage.

Do I have to spell out everything.  I was referring more about the advantages of business class and if you use CPAP you are highly likely of not finding a solution in economy class where as in business class you are going to find solutions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Flouting, not flaunting.

26 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Do I have to spell out everything.  I was referring more about the advantages of business class and if you use CPAP you are highly likely of not finding a solution in economy class where as in business class you are going to find solutions.

For Resmed users:  https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea/sleep-blog/airline-cpap-policies/

• Like 1