Growing Popularity of Solar Eclipse Travel Inspires New Cruise Itinerary Aboard Sun Princess to View 2026 Spectacle

LACruiser88

September 23, 2024 9:30 AM EDT

Growing Popularity of Solar Eclipse Travel Inspires New Cruise Itinerary Aboard Sun Princess to View 2026 Spectacle

Now Open for Booking—Sun Princess Joins Sky Princess in the Mediterranean with Several Itinerary Options to Witness this Phenomenon in the Sky

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla., Sept. 23, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises, the world's most iconic cruise line, has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.

The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position the ship off the coast of southern Spain on August 12, where eclipse devotees can marvel in the two minutes and 18 seconds of totality.

With seven- to 21-day destination-rich Mediterranean voyage options departing from several popular ports, Sun Princess 2026 Total Solar Eclipse itineraries include six incredible sailings, appealing to all cruisers:

• Roundtrip from Rome: 21-day Best of the Mediterranean with Total Solar Eclipse - July 25, 2026: Port stops in Naples, Crete, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini, Bar, Corfu, Sicily, Barcelona, Gibraltar, Cartagena and Florence/Pisa.
  •  
  • Athens to Rome: 14-day Mediterranean with Total Solar Eclipse –
    August 1, 2026: From Athens to Santorini, Bar Corfu, Sicily, Barcelona, Gibraltar, Cartagena, Florence/Pisa, ending in Rome
  • Roundtrip from Athens: 21-day Best of the Mediterranean with Total Solar Eclipse – August 1, 2026: Visiting Santorini, Bar, Corfu, Sicily, Barcelona, Gibraltar, Cartagena, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples, Crete, Kusadasi and Mykonos.
  •  
  • Barcelona to Rome: 7-day Mediterranean with Total Solar Eclipse –
    August 8, 2026: 
    Departing from Barcelona to Gibraltar, Cartagena, Florence/Pisa, arriving in Rome.
  •  
  • Barcelona to Athens: 14-day Mediterranean with Total Solar Eclipse – August 8, 2026: From Barcelona to Gibraltar, Cartagena, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples, Crete, Kusadasi, Mykonos, arriving in Athens.
  •  
  • Roundtrip Barcelona: 21-day Best of Mediterranean with Total Solar Eclipse – August 8, 2026: Visit Gibraltar, Cartagena, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples, Crete, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini, Bar, Corfu and Sicily.
  •  

"Sun Princess truly lives up to its name, offering an out-of-this-world experience with a front-row seat for a total eclipse of the sun," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises. "Following the incredible response to our solar eclipse voyages last year, we're thrilled to have both Sky Princess and Sun Princess providing guests with the unique opportunity to experience one of nature's most breathtaking spectacles."

The Sun Princess 2026 Total Eclipse Voyage is on sale now. During the eclipse, Sun Princess guests will gather on the top decks with Princess safety glasses for viewing, and enjoy lectures from astronomy experts, themed treats and drinks, stargazing at night, solar system trivia and more. Guests are even encouraged to set up their own telescopes on deck and wear festive eclipse-themed apparel and accessories.

The 14-day Total Solar Eclipse Mediterranean cruise onboard 3,560-guest Sky Princess sails August 8-22, 2026, roundtrip from Southampton, and visits seven historical and vibrant ports including Cherbourg, France; Bilbao, Spain, Malaga, Spain; Cartagena Spain; Gibraltar, Lisbon and La Coruña, Spain.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Personally, I don't get the draw for a solar eclipse cruise???  🤷‍♂️  But, there are many folks that do!

We did the one on the Discovery earlier this year.  The whole cruise was absolutely phenomenal!  I don’t need to go on another one .. what we experienced the best and it just can’t be beat!  So glad we went! 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Solar Eclipse cruises will be popular until the weather doesn't cooperate. Imagine paying the premium to be on a solar eclipse cruise and seeing a cloud.

Partial solar eclipse, February 26, 2017 on the Crown Princess, South Atlantic, between Falkland and Puerto Madryn.

IMG_5748.thumb.JPG.dc121f5390157052cace8c723fd8bc24.JPG

Clouds are not necessarily a problem. In this case, it was possible to take pictures without any filters. 😄

By the way, the partial solar eclipse wasn't even mentioned in the Princess Patter.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Personally, I don't get the draw for a solar eclipse cruise???  🤷‍♂️  But, there are many folks that do!

I did witness a solar eclipse in grade school many years ago, and I was hoping to see the partial eclipse (99%) last April in Toronto.  It did get extremely dark here (streetlights came on) and there was an excitement associated with the event.  The eclipse was visible through a small break in the clouds for a couple of minutes. 

I get why people are drawn to the experience, but I also know that mother nature doesn't always cooperate. 

• Like 1

I booked the Aug 8, 2026, Sky Solar Eclipse cruise the day it was out.  The price jumped up really high after I booked.

I was thinking on switching to the new Sun until I saw the Sun prices.

• Like 1

We're booked on the Sky for the 2026 eclipse. We thought it would be 'something different' from a normal cruise. I also found the itinerary interesting and we hadn't been to many of the ports. I think had the itinerary not been interesting, it wouldn't have been worth the price....and I would never book it at the current price. After we booked, the price of our balcony went up $3000 in a couple of hours! Crazy!