Majestic question

MomC

I sail on the Majestic next month.  Is the Chinese restaurant a “specialty” restaurant with a fee?  Are all of the fees the same or do they differ by venue?

Thanks for answering my question.

Mom C

2 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

All of the specialty dining venues are now $45 per person I believe. On the Majestic there is also Chopsticks on the pool deck, which has a quick service Chinese theme and it is free.

$45 plus 18% gratuity 

Not soon enough.  

The ugly reality is that even the best commercial induction woks can’t impart wok hei to Chinese dishes, so they needed a menu that didn’t depend on wok cooking.  Which the original menu respected and the menu after they abandoned mainland China did not. 

Raising the price with the current quality level and menu costs is just cynical. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Wow, I really love Harmony so, have booked two more cruises on the Majestic before the refit just so I can go to Harmony before she’s gone for good.  To each his own.  

I was tempted to try it, but I cannot imagine it's worth $106.   Maybe I am too Scottish, but I'm finding it hard to pay for any of the specialty dining at this rate.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dockman said:

just off diamond princess where an ice cream sundae was $21 which sure seemed on the high end of crazy pricing....it looked good but sure don't need all those calories and don't want to pay $21 for ice cream

Wow! I thought those specialty desserts were $12. This is nuts!

13 hours ago, 90scruzer said:

I was tempted to try it, but I cannot imagine it's worth $106.   Maybe I am too Scottish, but I'm finding it hard to pay for any of the specialty dining at this rate.   

Even though I really live it, Harmony is probably worth more like $30 pp.  The Ctach is definitely worth $45 pp.  The Crown is somewhere in between just because of the foods they serve.  

Silly question here .. are Scottish people known to be more frugal?  

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes. I have Scottish heritage so I think I’m allowed to say that without being racist. 🤣

But, honestly, for $45 pp + 18% = $54 pp =$108 without adding what you’ve already paid for the MDR dinner is crazy. 
I can take my whole family of 6 out to a really nice dinner in Australia for that. 

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Teechur said:

Wow! I thought those specialty desserts were $12. This is nuts!

but people were buying them or maybe they are somehow included on some of the promo packages....guess i am really old but i can remeber getting wonderful banana splits for a buck or two...so get fat without getting ripped off?

9 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

since it might get me "banned", I'd just say google "how to cure a scot from seasickness", but I double-checked first and it actually thinks it's a serious question with cures -- even if you put two-pence in the query :P.   The long and short of it, yes.  

7 hours ago, 1KBAP said:

No . . . just contrary.  :<)

I wouldn't say that 😛 😄

5 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

I can take my whole family of 6 out to a really nice dinner in Australia for that. 

yep.   But depends where.   In USA before the backlash, in some places you couldn't take a family of 6 to McDonald's for that...   At least now they have some slightly less expensive options (not that I eat there, for the prices they charge I prefer sit down local restaurants).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

Wow?  Six people at a really nice restaurant for $108.  We took four to a middle of the line restaurant for $250.  Maybe I need to tell my kids I will only take them out to dinner in Australia.

Not the Aria, in Sydney, for sure but at other good restaurants in Sydney and suburbs.

I've been researching US restaurants and they are expensive expecially with our current exchange rates. 

22 minutes ago, 90scruzer said:

yep.   But depends where.   In USA before the backlash, in some places you couldn't take a family of 6 to McDonald's for that...   At least now they have some slightly less expensive options (not that I eat there, for the prices they charge I prefer sit down local restaurants).

McDonald's Australia Bundle for 6 - 4 Large Burgers, 2 Small Burgers, 4 Medium Fries, 6 Medium Drinks, 20 McNuggets AUD$49.95 = US$35

But I wouldn't call that a "good restaurant".  

Edited by paddingtonbear

1 hour ago, dockman said:

but people were buying them or maybe they are somehow included on some of the promo packages....guess i am really old but i can remeber getting wonderful banana splits for a buck or two...so get fat without getting ripped off?

They are included in the drink packages.  It's just another way of pushing people to buy the drink packages.

3 hours ago, 1KBAP said:

They are included in the drink packages.  It's just another way of pushing people to buy the drink packages.

agree as i can't imagine many people would pay twenty bucks for a sundae...i did see one lady giving hers to a small kid who was obviously happy as a kid in a candy store...i suppose very few with no package would pay that...i can,t imagine a few scoops of ice cream some chocolate syrup little sauce slice of banana cost princess more than a few bucks so nice markup

21 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

A hundred years ago, Scotch was used as a pejorative meaning parsimonious, or an adjective for a cheap product. Wiki Scotch Tape.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1