Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day?

TexasBrit

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, the MDR is not open for lunch.

Too bad. The last two cruises we were on (not Carnival) had the MDR open for lunch. It made for a more relaxing start to the cruise after the morning rush to the terminal and the check-in and embarkation processes.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I do not know about the Jubilee, but on the Firenze, the main dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day. It was not a served meal, but a very small buffet.  But we were shown to a table, which is much more civilized than the mob scene on the Lido deck.

When was this?  I've never heard of anything like this on any Carnival ship.  One of the MDRs has been traditionally held open so fixed dining passengers can see their seats prior to their meals and so that they can speak to the maitre d' to get their dining arrangements changed.  The other MDR, on those that have more than one, has been closed.

5 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

When was this?  I've never heard of anything like this on any Carnival ship.  One of the MDRs has been traditionally held open so fixed dining passengers can see their seats prior to their meals and so that they can speak to the maitre d' to get their dining arrangements changed.  The other MDR, on those that have more than one, has been closed.

Nor have I.  I could only guess it was because of a lack of “other” eateries that are on the Firenze that are on other Carnival ships.  Not doubting the poser, just past history (on my part).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Neither have I. As you said, one is for fixed dining time people to do their thing, and the other is usually used as a muster station check-in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

Neither have I. As you said, one is for fixed dining time people to do their thing, and the other is usually used as a muster station check-in.

I can confirm in the Medici Dining Room on embark day a buffet lunch is available on Carnival Firenze. There are a few servers on hand to offer beverages. It was a downsized buffet compared to the lido so we turned around and left. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

This was Sept 21, 2024, lunchtime.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rainbowflag said:

I can confirm in the Medici Dining Room on embark day a buffet lunch is available on Carnival Firenze. There are a few servers on hand to offer beverages. It was a downsized buffet compared to the lido so we turned around and left. 

interesting, was it crowded?

We ate at the Medici Dining room on our embarkation day on 9/7/24 on the Firenze. It was great! It was a smaller buffet, but still different salads, breads, desserts, and entrees to choose. The place was definitely not packed and the servers brought us drinks. It was a great start to the cruise. We had the rest of the week to go to Guys and the pizza place.

• Thanks 2

On 9/29/2024 at 1:05 AM, Mike45LC said:

on the Firenze, the main dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day. It was not a served meal, but a very small buffet.  But we were shown to a table, which is much more civilized than the mob scene on the Lido deck.

20 hours ago, rainbowflag said:

5 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

We ate at the Medici Dining room on our embarkation day on 9/7/24 on the Firenze. It was great! It was a smaller buffet, but still different salads, breads, desserts, and entrees to choose. The place was definitely not packed and the servers brought us drinks. It was a great start to the cruise. We had the rest of the week to go to Guys and the pizza place.

Thanks, everyone, for expanding my knowledge set.

I asked Mr. Heald about this earlier this morning.  He said that this offering was specific to the Firenze and there are no plans to expand it to other ships.  So, I guess now we know.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

I think it sounds like an interesting option

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks, everyone, for expanding my knowledge set.

I asked Mr. Heald about this earlier this morning.  He said that this offering was specific to the Firenze and there are no plans to expand it to other ships.  So, I guess now we know.

Makes sense

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think it sounds like an interesting option

As I mentioned earlier, it certainly was very nice to be able to eat lunch on embarkation in a relaxed situation on our two previous (not Carnival) cruises.

Oh well, I guess it's back to the mad house on the Lido deck, unless there are other options on Jubilee.