Changes in wine bottle packages , Silk and Spice removed ?

heatherb1958

I have done a search and nothing materialised .

Our last P&O cruise was end of March on Arvia ... we always get the Captain's wine bottle package but recently I read somewhere that Silk & Spice and Vergelegan (sp) have been removed from the list 😔

Has  anyone got a recent list of the packages and current pricing  please ? We leave for Iona on Saturday and trying to decide if the package is still worth it for us . 

I'm not sure that list is current based on the price of the Villa Maria Seaspray Sauvignon blanc.  In January 2024 this was price at £36.50 a bottle on Britannia but in August 2024 on Aurora the price had risen to £49.50 a bottle.  Also in January it was £16.50 a glass and included in the Deluxe drinks package but in August you could not buy it by the glass never mind it being in a drinks package.

I found the wine offerings on Aurora very much cut back compared to January with a very much noticeable reduction in wines by the glass.  It is one of the reasons we have made the decision to cancel our December cruise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm not sure that list is current based on the price of the Villa Maria Seaspray Sauvignon blanc.  In January 2024 this was price at £36.50 a bottle on Britannia but in August 2024 on Aurora the price had risen to £49.50 a bottle.  Also in January it was £16.50 a glass and included in the Deluxe drinks package but in August you could not buy it by the glass never mind it being in a drinks package.

I found the wine offerings on Aurora very much cut back compared to January with a very much noticeable reduction in wines by the glass.  It is one of the reasons we have made the decision to cancel our December cruise.

I noticed the cutbacks in wine by the glass when I cruised on Aurora and Arcadia in the summer. But fortunately they've reintroduced the option for you to drink a bottle over several nights, with them looking after it for you between dinners..

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I’ve just seen the revised glasshouse menu.  We love the glasshouse and had the deluxe drinks package last time.  The new menu is very much reduced.  Lots of changes.  Hardly any reds 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, galeforce9 said:

I’ve just seen the revised glasshouse menu.  We love the glasshouse and had the deluxe drinks package last time.  The new menu is very much reduced.  Lots of changes.  Hardly any reds 

I agree.  The wine menus across the entire ship were very reduced and every bar except the Glass House offered the same wines.  We were really disappointed with the Glass House choices and also the MDR.

The cruise we cancelled we were on the deluxe package and after seeing the new menus felt it would be poor value.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I agree.  The wine menus across the entire ship were very reduced and every bar except the Glass House offered the same wines.  We were really disappointed with the Glass House choices and also the MDR.

The cruise we cancelled we were on the deluxe package and after seeing the new menus felt it would be poor value.

I’m (or I was) about to move a deposit on a select booking as I had just booked a Seabourn cruise for the same weeks  at a lower daily rate (admittedly a transatlantic) than most p&o cruises when you add in the deluxe drinks package.  I actually preferred  the previous p&o glasshouse offerings under the package to what was included on Seabourn (albeit the cruise product is wholly superior on Seabourn).  Given these changes, I will only move my deposit on P&O to a cruise where there is no additional deposit due (there is currently the 10% deposit offer fortunately) should I wish to just not bother when the balance is due.  By way of background I’ve over 300 sailed days in p&o and 200 on Seabourn, so I’m very familiar with both!

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I am glad that I am a wine philistine who prefers new world reds, as long as they have Cab Sauv, Merlot, Shiraz or Malbec available by the Glass, then I am a happy bunny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just left Arcadia after 30 night cruise. Had intended getting a package, but noticed ones we liked had been moved to the Commodore's Collection or removed entirely.  Whites on list not now a lot more expensive than what it would cost on the package price, so did not buy.  For red wine drinkers it may be worthwhile as some pricy ones still on the Captain's list, but no idea if they are good ones.  I do not like red wine,  so DH will just buy glasses if he wants to drink that.

• Like 1