Travel Document Requirements

Samanthaelizabe

I'll start by saying, yes, I understand a passport is the safest way to travel. I'd like to hear from people who gave cruised without it or have experience dealing with something similar. I just booked My cruise 61 days prior to embarkation and was under the impression that I would need just my birth certificate and my drivers license. Immediately after booking and paying for the cruise, I ordered a copy of my birth certificate. Then I started wondering if it would in fact be enough. Princess customer service is ZERO help. I'm stressed and really not wanting to cancel my anniversary trip due to this. It's a closed loop cruise with stops in Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan. I am absolutely going to try to get my passport in time. I'd just like to know if I didn't have it in time, would my birth certificate and drivers license work?

20 minutes ago, Samanthaelizabe said:

I'll start by saying, yes, I understand a passport is the safest way to travel. I'd like to hear from people who gave cruised without it or have experience dealing with something similar. I just booked My cruise 61 days prior to embarkation and was under the impression that I would need just my birth certificate and my drivers license. Immediately after booking and paying for the cruise, I ordered a copy of my birth certificate. Then I started wondering if it would in fact be enough. Princess customer service is ZERO help. I'm stressed and really not wanting to cancel my anniversary trip due to this. It's a closed loop cruise with stops in Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan. I am absolutely going to try to get my passport in time. I'd just like to know if I didn't have it in time, would my birth certificate and drivers license work?

I am a US citizen

Then according to the US Customs and Border Protection website:

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name, and date of birth."

But if you're going to take up cruising going forward, you'll want a passport anyway.

If the number you show is your Zip Code, there is a 24 hour Passport service in San Antonio.  https://www.24hrpassportatx.com/

Edited by mtnesterz

26 minutes ago, Samanthaelizabe said:

Document requirements depend on your nationality, itinerary, and other factors. For example, if one adult is traveling with one or more minors, Princess requires everyone in the party to have a passport. You can see Princess’ Travel Document requirements here 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise

5 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name, and date of birth."

But if you're going to take up cruising going forward, you'll want a passport anyway.

If the number you show is your Zip Code, there is a 24 hour Passport service in San Antonio.  https://www.24hrpassportatx.com/

Thank you! And yes I plan to get a passport regardless. This cruise was a last minute decision. I don't want not having it to stop me from being able to travel, and I'd just feel more secure having it.

8 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

There are exceptions to this. For example, if a closed loop cruise visits Martinique or Guadalupe, passports are required for US citizens. Princess also has requirements of their own. It's best to check their document requirements.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Samanthaelizabe said:

You can find the information specific to your cruise in your travel summary. I’ve posted an example from my closed loop to Mexico.  

WHTI-COMPLIANT DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security enforces secure document requirements. Only passports or Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant documents are accepted to embark your cruise. U.S. and Canadian passport holders must present one of the following valid documents: Passport Book (RECOMMENDED); U.S. Passport Card; U.S. or Canadian issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL); U.S. or Canadian issued Enhanced "Non-Driver" Identification Card; NEXUS (for travel to Canada), SENTRI (for travel to Mexico) or FAST Card.
For information regarding WHTI compliant documents, visit https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative. U.S. citizens ages 16 and above may present a Certified Birth Certificate together with valid photo identification. U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 15 and younger may sail with a Birth Certificate. U.S. Permanent Residents must present a valid Permanent Resident Card. Canadian Permanent Residents must present a valid passport and Permanent Resident Card.

• Thanks 1

The biggest issue by not travelling with passport is flights. If something were to go wrong and you had to leave the ship and get home, you wouldn't be able to get a flight. While sailing without a passport is as described above doable, the risk is getting struck in a country that would be very difficult to get home from

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

There are exceptions to this. For example, if a closed loop cruise visits Martinique or Guadelupe, passports are required for US citizens. Princess also has requirement of their own. It's best to check their document requirements.

I'd rather not overcomplicate my responses and confuse people with info they don't need. In the first post, the OP lists ports that are all part of the Western Caribbean loop that Princess does, possibly the same one we did last May. Apparently they're not doing the Southeastern loop of Caribbean for Martinique and/or Guadeloupe. But since they are new here, perhaps @Samanthaelizabe forgot to mention that. If you're doing a B2B to the Eastern Caribbean, take notice.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Samanthaelizabe said:

As a US citizen sailing this described itinerary, you're perfectly fine with a certified birth certificate and Gov't issued photo ID..(any bridge focus also if you e had a name change - they don't always ask, but sometimes).  Thousands travel this way on cruises every day, including Princess.  

Assuming that's your whole itinerary, you're all set.  

Yes, obviously, passport is preferred, and best.  A passport card is perfectly legal for this itinerary also.

And yes, should there be an emergency, you or someone in your party will need to contact the port agent and the nearest consulate/embassy to arrange emergency documents to fly home .  

Safe travels, enjoy! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I'd rather not overcomplicate my responses and confuse people with info they don't need. In the first post, the OP lists ports that are all part of the Western Caribbean loop that Princess does, possibly the same one we did last May. Apparently they're not doing the Southeastern loop of Caribbean for Martinique and/or Guadeloupe. But since they are new here, perhaps @Samanthaelizabe forgot to mention that. If you're doing a B2B to the Eastern Caribbean, take notice.

That's the problem with trying to respond. They also don't mention if they are travelling with a child.  In that case a passport might be required even if the itinerary wouldn't normally require it.  They need to check Princess' requirements for their particular situation.

16 hours ago, reedprincess said:
18 hours ago, Samanthaelizabe said:

As a US citizen sailing this described itinerary, you're perfectly fine with a certified birth certificate and Gov't issued photo ID..(any bridge focus also if you e had a name change - they don't always ask, but sometimes).  Thousands travel this way on cruises every day, including Princess.  

Assuming that's your whole itinerary, you're all set.  

At the risk of repeating myself, this is not accurate. If the poster is traveling alone with a one or more minors, Princess will require everyone in the party to have a passport. It’s a requirement that occasionally has people turned away at boarding.

7 hours ago, Torfamm said:

At the risk of repeating myself, this is not accurate. If the poster is traveling alone with a one or more minors, Princess will require everyone in the party to have a passport. It’s a requirement that occasionally has people turned away at boarding.

Nowhere did they say they're traveling solo, with minors, etc. The OP didn't provide anything other than the itinerary and that they're a US citizen.

As such, based on info they provided. they can sail that with BC and photo ID.

If they've got extenuating circumstances, they didn't list any.  I went by their provided information.   

If they're circumstances are different, it's up to them to find that out - ask here, US Gov't site, Princess site (details on their travel summary, not hard to check), etc. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 3:33 PM, Torfamm said:

That's the problem with trying to respond. They also don't mention if they are travelling with a child.  In that case a passport might be required even if the itinerary wouldn't normally require it.  They need to check Princess' requirements for their particular situation.

I'm not sure why you're so bothered about additional details, and negatively responding to others providing advice. I didn't mention traveling alone with minors, because I'm not. All relative details were provided. I mentioned wanting advice from others who have experienced this. I do not intend on traveling without my passport. I was wanting to know for worst case scenario if for some reason I could not obtain my passport in time. I did contact Princess about 6 times and received mixed answers. According to the website, I should be fine. I was just wanting confirmation. I did my research, and this website seemed much less judgy than reddit, fb, etc. So I decided to ask. This is my first cruise.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Samanthaelizabe said:

I'm not sure why you're so bothered about additional details, and negatively responding to others providing advice. I didn't mention traveling alone with minors, because I'm not. All relative details were provided. I mentioned wanting advice from others who have experienced this. I do not intend on traveling without my passport. I was wanting to know for worst case scenario if for some reason I could not obtain my passport in time. I did contact Princess about 6 times and received mixed answers. According to the website, I should be fine. I was just wanting confirmation. I did my research, and this website seemed much less judgy than reddit, fb, etc. So I decided to ask. This is my first cruise.

I’m sorry you, or anyone else, feels I’m being judgy. My feeling is that it’s better to give you as much information about document requirements as possible based on what information you shared.

I remember more than one recent thread where people were denied boarding at the pier because they’d been assured that a US citizen could travel with only a birth-certificate and photo ID. I felt very sorry for those families. Perhaps that made me particularly sensitive to that risk.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Samanthaelizabe said:

Don't be offended.  CC is much more reliable than Princess call lines and everyone is trying to help. Better to have more details than less and find yourself with a problem. 

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1