Christmas Cruises (What to expect OnBoard & OnShore)

dual

Good Day to all my fellow cruisers

Ive cruised about 3 times with RCCI, nearly always around thanksgiving time in the Caribbean so the tree is always up which I love to see, however this year I am embarking on my first cruise over the Christmas period (again Caribbean) and im interested to find out what to expect on a typical day on board a RCCI cruise on Christmas eve, Christmas day and boxing day? I will be on Allure, we will be on CocoCay on Christmas day,

Do they have Christmas eve or Christmas day parties?

Do they have a traditional Christmas dinner on Christmas day in the MDR?

Do people dress up for Christmas?

Anything else I should know?

Thank you & God Bless 🙂

2 hours ago, dual said:

I'm interested to find out what to expect on a typical day on board a RCCI cruise on Christmas eve, Christmas day and boxing day?

That may vary a bit by ship. Do a thread title limited search here for "Christmas" and you might get some ideas on what to expect.

Cruise every year the last two weeks of the year (covers Christmas and New Years).

There will be all kinds of activities for Christmas (guest chorus and sing along, Santa will show up for the young ones and you may be surprised by the number of folks (big and small) who actually wear Christmas PJ's and slippers all day on Christmas Day). There will be a special treat at your evening meal on Christmas eve, also love the Yule Log channel on TV 🙂 

• Like 1

There was an ugly Christmas sweater event, caroling, pictures with Santa (hot chocolate and eggnog), gifts for children, holiday movies, holiday themed trivia/karaoke/shows, etc.  The big meal is usually on Christmas Eve and lots of people dressed up in nice holiday party attire.  Christmas morning the MDR breakfast is PACKED and lots of people wear Christmas PJs.  

We have been on several of these cruises and have enjoyed them.  We didn't get off the ship on Christmas day, so I don't know how much was open in port.  

In our experience the ships were nicely decorated and there was caroling and other festivities and a focus with the children on board on Christmas Eve. In ports of call on Christmas day many businesses will be closed.  And a number of Caribbean islands also celebrate Boxing Day, which is December 26th, with various festivities taking place and many businesses and services are also closed then.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

When we are on Oasis two years ago, there was a special meal Christmas meal that was a different menu in the MDR.  I loved seeing all the large family groups who were dressed to the nines, or in silly Christmas suits or in matching PJs through out the week. On Christmas Day, we were in Roatan and everything seemed to be open. The ship was beautifully decorated for Christmas. 

Expect the ship to be at full capacity, meaning that the 3rd and 4th bunks in the cabins are filled, so the ship will be very crowded. We were on Odyssey during Christmas week last year. We found the crowds to be most annoying in the dining room. This was because there were many large family groups and the tables had been arranged so that the entire group could sit together. The dining room looked chaotic and did not lead to 

37 minutes ago, rncruiser said:

No. Far worse than I have ever seen. 

Max capacity is max capacity, which cannot be exceeded.  Most cruises likely sail at, or approaching that, in peak season.  What IMO is most notable is that during Christmas, in particular, the ratio of children is at its' highest.  At least that has been our experience with that cruising week.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On 10/4/2024 at 10:55 AM, neverbeenhere said:

It is best practice to send your address update to Santa Claus at least 30 days prior to sailing on your Christmas Cruise. 

It's a good idea to do that, but if I happen to be cruising too (and I usually am), I'll know where you are. Remember, I see you when you are cruising just like I see you when you're sleeping.
I usually get Stewart to let me in your cabin with his special Christmas key.

And while I do always appreciate milk and cookies, if you have the drink package you should be able to do better than that.