Why More at Sea? (Straight from the horse's mouth)

7 hours ago, Bobby Winds said:

I find 2 specialty dinners is enough is there a way to choose ONLY 2 dinners instead of 3 on a 7 day cruise ? ? ? 

Opt out of the MAS and pay the retail cover charge for the dinners. 

All specialty restaurants will have a cover charge. Cover charges are as follows:
Steak, Teppanyaki / Hasuki, French, and Seafood have a $60 cover charge.
Brazil, Asian, Food Republic, and Sushi have a $50 cover charge.
Italian, BBQ, Pincho, and Mexican have a $40 cover charge.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Winds said:

On my last cruise on the Breakaway last week the specialty restaurants couldn't handle 2 meals per person via FAS unless you wanted meal times at 9 or 9:30 pm. Of course NCL doesn't care I'm sure but I do care when I get to eat.

We usually try to book our dining reservations months in advance.  Sometimes when we book the cruise just weeks before its departure date, though, the online reservations system might only have limited selections available.  Our options then may only be certain nights, certain less desirable times, or less desirable restaurants.  Usually, however, once we get on board we head straight to the restaurant reservations desk and look for alternatives to book more desirable seating times.  We may have to juggle our schedule from one night to another or accept a reservation in one of our "second choice" restaurants, but we always have been able to shift things around and get an acceptable time at one or another specialty restaurants.  It may not be our first choice, but we never have been forced to accept a 9:00 or 9:30 seating.  Perseverance pays off.

7 hours ago, Bobby Winds said:

It's not a matter of trying to save money but rather only wanting 2 specialty dinners without paying for 3.

We just returned from a 7 day cruise and we learned a lot, mostly NCL will cancel events with very little notice and one of our specialty dinners did infringe on some of our plans.

Look for Food Republic (depends on ship and itinerary( to possibly be open at lunch, so you might get the 3rd one in that way. 

Have found it easier to book something in advance, even if later than wanted, and change it 1st day (on Joy, in Teppanyaki, reps set up at the grills) or call 050 to see if there's any wiggle room.

Last wk there was a 5:45 pm walk up at Ocean Blue.  The host said that if they would wait a few minutes in Cellars, she'd come and get them after seating those with reservations.  At 6 pm we saw them walk in.  So it's  worth checking.  

38 minutes ago, snorklinbarb said:

Look for Food Republic (depends on ship and itinerary( to possibly be open at lunch, so you might get the 3rd one in that way. 

Have found it easier to book something in advance, even if later than wanted, and change it 1st day (on Joy, in Teppanyaki, reps set up at the grills) or call 050 to see if there's any wiggle room.

Last wk there was a 5:45 pm walk up at Ocean Blue.  The host said that if they would wait a few minutes in Cellars, she'd come and get them after seating those with reservations.  At 6 pm we saw them walk in.  So it's  worth checking.  

I never make reservations and never have a problem getting a table by just walking up.

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Bad advice. You should have reservations if you have a specific time you want to dine. 

Actually, it's excellent advice.  Who made you the advice police???  It's your opinion or nothing?!?!?!  Welcome to CC  guess I should plan all my meals 125 days out and stay up at midnight and make sure I get them in 🤣🤣🤣   it's now bad advice to check and see if they can fit you in..... SMH 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by dbrown84
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2024 at 7:19 AM, dbrown84 said:

Actually, it's excellent advice.  Who made you the advice police???  It's your opinion or nothing?!?!?!  Welcome to CC  guess I should plan all my meals 125 days out and stay up at midnight and make sure I get them in 🤣🤣🤣   it's now bad advice to check and see if they can fit you in..... SMH 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

You didn't note you're a solo cruiser. It's easier to fit one person in than four. 

Having said that, I'm with you. We do sometimes (read seldomly) just walk-in to see if there is availability. We do, however, change our reservation times multiple times when we are onboard. We've never been boxed out of a time, except for Teppanyaki. We do eat earlier and are a couple. It'll be interesting in February when we're a threesome (NOT that kind, y'all) as my aunt joins us onboard. 

We did make our reservations at 130 days (Haven perk), so had any time we wanted for all our reservations. Again, though, I fully expect we'll be changing our reservations at least a couple times once onboard as we normally do. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You didn't note you're a solo cruiser. It's easier to fit one person in than four. 

Having said that, I'm with you. We do sometimes (read seldomly) just walk-in to see if there is availability. We do, however, change our reservation times multiple times when we are onboard. We've never been boxed out of a time, except for Teppanyaki. We do eat earlier and are a couple. It'll be interesting in February when we're a threesome (NOT that kind, y'all) as my aunt joins us onboard. 

We did make our reservations at 130 days (Haven perk), so had any time we wanted for all our reservations. Again, though, I fully expect we'll be changing our reservations at least a couple times once onboard as we normally do. 

I wasn't necessarily speaking as a solo cruiser.  And like you, I was only acknowledging the the post that I was quoting.  They said it was worth walking up and checking

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I wasn't necessarily speaking as a solo cruiser.  And like you, I was only acknowledging the the post that I was quoting.  They said it was worth walking up and checking

Oh! I thought you always cruised solo....huh. I don't know something? Weird!! 🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh! I thought you always cruised solo....huh. I don't know something? Weird!! 🤣

it's my preference 🙂 , but I've done about 50-50.  but some people are planners, some are more go with the flow.  Neither choice is bad, just a choice.  but oh well, on the planning my next adventure....

• Like 3

Just received an email from NCL stating: 

“All guests with a sailing in 2025 and beyond that booked prior to October 1, 2024 will enjoy both their current Free at Sea benefits plus the new More at SeaTM beverage package, providing an enhanced unlimited open bar experience , at no additional cost”.

What a nice surprise!

I'm guessing NCL is wording things slightly unfortunately. I doubt you'll be getting the MAS drinks package unless you already had the FAS drinks package. I might of course be wrong, and as a European it really doesn't matter since we couldn't opt out of the drinks package in the first place.

16 minutes ago, Asawi said:

I'm guessing NCL is wording things slightly unfortunately. I doubt you'll be getting the MAS drinks package unless you already had the FAS drinks package. I might of course be wrong, and as a European it really doesn't matter since we couldn't opt out of the drinks package in the first place.

We do have the FAS drink package.  Interesting that you couldn’t opt out of the FAS drink package, first time I’ve heard that.  I wonder what the reasoning behind that is. 

2 minutes ago, Luv2bcruising56 said:

We do have the FAS drink package.  Interesting that you couldn’t opt out of the FAS drink package, first time I’ve heard that.  I wonder what the reasoning behind that is. 

In EUUK (and possibly other places) we can't opt out of any components. It's all or nothing. Nothing new.

On 10/11/2024 at 7:34 AM, wolft927 said:

I agree, We prefer NCL for many reasons but the all inclusive feel for us is worth it. The FAS or now MAS works great for us. NCL Drink package is truly unlimited unlike Carnival Corp Ships which is not. Also the now 3 specialty dining is nice, but we typically eat in the Haven most evenings. I did notice the gratuities for drink package have increased by about $100 for 2 on a 7 day cruise and the Specialty dining was $39.00 for the gratuities, now it is $120. So for a more expansive offering on drinks and an additional Specialty dining for about $180 for a 7 day cruise I will take it. 

No, its not "unlimited".  They created a new "connoisseur collection" for "super premium" brands (not swill).  So, they moved their good drinks there, and provided more bottom shelf offerings to the new MAS package.  Simply bait and switch for those that purchased the FAS Plus package that won't get it in 2025.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2024 at 1:46 PM, BirdTravels said:

Check back on January 1, 2025

Strange a NCL can roll out a "better" drink package claiming 45% more "top shelf" offerings, but cannot produce a list of them to prove it.   Sounds like haphazard management, or simply bait and switch.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Derek1105 said:

No, its not "unlimited".  They created a new "connoisseur collection" for "super premium" brands (not swill).  So, they moved their good drinks there, and provided more bottom shelf offerings to the new MAS package.  Simply bait and switch for those that purchased the FAS Plus package that won't get it in 2025.

Lol!!!!!

Are you saying everything that was in the FAS beverage package, and now the slightly improved MAS beverage package, is swill? It's all "bottom shelf"?

I think you just cracked my top 10 list for ridiculous comments! Good for you after just 7 comments!

Thanks for that.

36 minutes ago, Derek1105 said:

I was referring to unlimited as there is no max number of drinks, so I may have unlimited Michelobe Ultras lol 

54 minutes ago, Derek1105 said:

How is it a bait and switch if you're getting a refund?

37 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Lol!!!!!

Are you saying everything that was in the FAS beverage package, and now the slightly improved MAS beverage package, is swill? It's all "bottom shelf"?

I think you just cracked my top 10 list for ridiculous comments! Good for you after just 7 comments!

Thanks for that.

You obviously only drink mixers.

Maybe they're already transitioning but I was surprised at how much was included in FAS, or maybe I should say how little was available that wasn't. I actually decided to treat myself at one point and went looking for premium whiskeys and maybe I wasn't looking at the right menu but I found the selection pretty darn lacking. And Starbucks was always packed. I would have felt pretty annoyed if I had sprung for the Premium Plus package. Perhaps this is a bigger deal for wine drinkers. 

14 minutes ago, Derek1105 said:

You obviously only drink mixers.

Nope! 

And I'm very familiar with FAS drink menus. 

Granted it doesn't include high end, expensive liquor, but calling it swill or bottom shelf is not a fair representation. 

And MAS makes it slightly better, I'm sure. 

On 10/12/2024 at 4:51 PM, dbrown84 said:

I never make reservations and never have a problem getting a table by just walking up.

I am on the same boat😉. I have always being able to get the times that I want. On one of the Jade’s cruises last month, they only had the late times and I went to Cruise Next and asked them to help me.  I got an earlier time the same day that I asked.

On 10/12/2024 at 8:28 AM, schmoopie17 said:

You beat me to it...slowing down in my old age.

Booking at 120 days (or in our case, 125 days) I've never only been presented with 9:00, 9:30, etc. Being old, we prefer to eat earlier and can almost always get either 5:30 or 6:00.

I made reservations the day I booked, 37 days before sailing. Got 5:30 or 6 pm for all three specialty and for MDR the other days.