multigenerational , which is best.

sandylevitt

My 24 Year old Son is wanting to see Budapest really badly (he is really geeked out about certain sites, and is even wanting to learn Hungarian) and wants his 85yo Grandma (who is in decent shape for 85), and myself (I am late 50's) to accompany him.   I thought the best idea would be a river cruise that either starts or stops in Budapest, so that we could also see other parts of Europe close to Hungary in an easier fashion , and also include a day or two of what he wants to see.  

I have seen that the three likely players are Viking, AMA, and Avalon.   I am concerned about Viking due to age restrictions that they have about children, and that he would be the youngest person aboard with no one close in age .  We are looking to go in either march/april/may.   Do people in their 20's go on Viking?   What about the other two?   I am no looking for a ship of 20 somethings, but just that he wont be the only one.   This would be his first time in Europe outside of Paris.  I also need to make things easy and fun for my mother.   There are budgetary concerns  as we hope to keep the river cruise part around 3Kpp.   and we likely will have to pay the single fee (though I saw that AMA was waiving on some cruises). 

Any suggestions /input are welcome. 

I would call Tauck and ask about Bridges, but I suspect it might skew younger than the 24yo, as they seem to market to families with school age kids. I could be wrong.  Also, Tauck tends to be pricier.  Just checked and the Family Danube cruise is $5,000/person

I think your son may just be the youngest by far regardless.  That shouldn't stop y'all from going.  If he is interested in culture and history he'll likely find like minded people on the ship anyways.  

In 2019, we did Ama's Europe's Rivers and Castles (Nurembergto Luxemburg). We were 1 of 3 multigenerational families, not too mention other families and people of all ages  Our DD was 19, niece & nephew 13&15 (I think). Parents in 80's. There were other kids younger. This was not an Adventures by Disney, as they charter the whole sailing. 

We did Ama's Grand Danube (Vilshofen to Budapest to Bucharest) in 2023. No families, and don't think there was anyone younger than 30's. First week skewed a bit younger than the second.  Not sure if it was the ship (costs a little more), or the itinerary, or the dates (late March to early April).

So, I'm not sure how to tell which Ama cruises might have younger people. 

In 2022, we did another multigenerational Christmas Markets (Nuremberg to Vienna) minus our daughter who just graduated cooker and working her first career job, on Grand Circle. Skewed older, and not as many kids, but the crew said they're never had as many minors on a cruise before. 

Back in 2005, we did our first river cruise with my parents on Vantage, Budapest to Bucharest. My sister, her husband and us, early mid 30's, we were the youngest by a good 20 years our more.  Even my parents were on the younger end. The fault itineraries would list the number of vertical steps there would be on that day🤣. I always said it was more interesting than fun, but we all had a great time.

Point is, in our family, we've always enjoyed the cruise for the cruise and our own company, regardless of how we for in demographicly with the other passengers. 

One thing I would mention about Ama (no experience with the others on your list), is excursions. Multiple options, and walking tours have normal, gentle, and active groups. They also have bikes and some stops have bike tours, if you our tour son are into that. 

And lastly, Budapest is sort of the middle, you can go northwest to Austria and Germany or southeast through a bunch of former Eastern block countries. Very different experiences. For most people, I'd lean towards Germany, but from what you said, your son may find the Bucharest route more interesting. 

Search this forum for my AmaMagna Grand Danube review to see info on both. (I'd link it,  but I'm typing this on my phone)

If you do the Germany route, I'd seriously consider a Prague pre/post, and if you do the Bucharest, the Brasov extension. All though this might break the budget. 

Edited by RobInMN

We've traveled Viking with our 20 something kids, no issues.

On pretty much any line, your son will be the youngest.  Spending more money won't change that...except that on Gate 1, maybe with its lower cost point, you would find younger people.  With the 'saved' money, you can tack on more independent time.  Much to see in Budapest.  Enjoy, I hope you do take this trip.  We have great memories from our shared trips.

• Like 1

If your son books the lowest category of cabin on Tauck, he won't be charged a single supplement. Uniworld waives or reduces the supplement on certain itineraries, but they haven't released their 2025 list of solo discounts. 

Budapest is a fascinating city.  The Hungarian language is challenging, as it's a Uralic language, not an Indo-European language. 

At 24, your son should be ok on any line, as he is an adult. as @ural guy says, you can't tell until you board just what age passengers are. As long as he has a common interest with others, it shouldn't matter how much older they are - I am assuming he has no difficulties discussing subjects with your Mother or yourself.

Avalon often has solo supplements waived, so if you book ahead of time, you should be able to access that. They also have Active and Discovery cruises that would enable him to go on bike tours or hiking tours, while you and your Mom either do a walking tour or stay onboard. That's one of the nicer things about river cruising - you can split up and compare tours over a meal. Another suggestion - you can either book your own free time in Budapest, or add it in to your tour, most will have the ability to add on either a pre or post cruise extension.

I have only sailed Avalon, both times we've had mixes of families (high school / Uni aged children with parents), younger and older couples. We were amongst the younger ones when we first started cruising, no problem with meeting others that we could spend time with. 

The only thing I will let you know about Viking, if you are from North America, you have to pay in full shortly after booking, most lines are 90 days prior to departure. Lots of people on here love it, and it has a great following, so they must be doing something right!

• Like 1

Another Gate 1 fan here.  You will save some money on Gate 1, the product is excellent, and it is very relaxed.  As to age though, your son will be one of the youngest, if not the youngest, on any of these.  We took our sons, then around your son's age on the Rhine with Avalon a few years ago.  They had a great time even though there was only one other person on the cruise even close to their ages.  

We took Gate 1 on the Danube last year--here is a link to my review.  I have also linked to my review of the Rhine trip since we were with our kids.  Whichever line you choose, I am sure you will have a great trip, and yes, Budapest is pretty nice!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=536856

There were two multigenerational groups on my Uniworld Enchanting Danube trip in 2023.  That would be another option for you.

As to learning Hungarian, I tried years ago as I have an affinity for languages with a minor in French.  It’s exceptionally hard due to the grammar and gave up.