Who else is looking forward to the Med in 2007?

We did the Grand Princess Rome to Venice in May of 2005, and we are going back to Rome in October 2007 aboard the Royal Princess to do the Holy Land cruise that leaves Rome for the Holy Land.The cruise does visit some of the same ports we visited before. Can't wait, we loved Rome and don't need much of an excuse to go back and visit the Med again. Its always easier the 2d time .:p

RonC

Hi guys we just booked Med RT Barcelona 7 days Voyager 10/6/07. We are looking forward to the Med. we are also tired of doing the Caribbean.

If anyone has any ideas they will be very welcomed. I have so many question that I'm writing them down so I make sure I don't miss anything.

We always like to do our own thing and it seems that in the Med it's really not going to work. I read some of the posting and I get the feel that everything is somewhat complicated. I sometimes feel tired just from reading all the information on the train, bus, cab etc....

We've never been to the Med and by reading allot of the postings it's safe to say, that most of the ports are a distance from where the ship docks or tenders.

I'm doing all my reading and taking notes looking up the exchange in cost of ship tours and private tour guides and on our own. I do feel that by doing a ship tour I get the best deal on prices only because we are paying in US$ not Euros.

I hope someone can help with some advice on what to do, where to go and how to see it.

Thanks,

Liz

I just booked a Med Cruise - HAL's Black Sea & Egyptian Adventure 12 nights departing on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 from Athens RT in search of Ancient Civilization and continuation of Europe's Eastern seaport history! We did the Western Med last year on the Millie and LOVED it! New ports of call include Istanbul, Turkey; Black Sea Ports of Varna, Bulgaria; Odessa, Ukraine; & Sevastopol, Ukraine; Kusadasi, Turkey; Rhodes, Greece; Limassol, Cyprus; & Alexandria, Egypt. I'm also planning a pretrip self land trip to Prague & Budapest and then a Post trip land trip to Ancient Corinth & Delphi! Can't wait - 3 1/2 weeks of "tripping"! :cool:

Millie Western Med: October 2005

Rhapsody of the Sea Alaska: May 2000

Royal Cruise Line Baltic Sea: August 1993

Hi guys we just booked Med RT Barcelona 7 days Voyager 10/6/07. We are looking forward to the Med. we are also tired of doing the Caribbean.

If anyone has any ideas they will be very welcomed. I have so many question that I'm writing them down so I make sure I don't miss anything.

We always like to do our own thing and it seems that in the Med it's really not going to work. I read some of the posting and I get the feel that everything is somewhat complicated. I sometimes feel tired just from reading all the information on the train, bus, cab etc....

We've never been to the Med and by reading allot of the postings it's safe to say, that most of the ports are a distance from where the ship docks or tenders.

I'm doing all my reading and taking notes looking up the exchange in cost of ship tours and private tour guides and on our own. I do feel that by doing a ship tour I get the best deal on prices only because we are paying in US$ not Euros.

I hope someone can help with some advice on what to do, where to go and how to see it.

Thanks,

Liz

It's not complicated. I like to call it "information overload". Any first timer to Europe will probably feel a bit overwhelmed with all the in's and out's but keep reading those posts and check if you have a roll call for your trip here on the boards. You will find that after awhile, information starts to make sense and you will find you can do alot of the ports on your own and some you may prefer to do with others or take a ship tour.

If you don't understand something, just ask. Many CC'ers are wonderful with giving help!!

Have a great time planning your trip. You will absolutely love Europe. Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit.

Julia

Thanks,

Liz

Hi Liz,

I wouldn't worry about the currency issue. We are booked for a 12 night Western Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Liberty in 2 weeks and then a 12 night Carnival Freedom cruise to cover the Eastern Mediterranean inApril 07. I have pre booked all of our tours through private operators and they all want paying in Euros, no big deal, just work out the conversion.

I got all of my recommendations from the Cruise critic boards. You have a year to go but don't leave the booking too long, I tried a recommended guide in Turkey for 2007 and he is already booked.

We have a party of 8 travelling together, this appears to be the best number as most of the private tours carry 8 guests, less just costs more per person. We have booked a number of private tours and left a few open to see ourselves. Barcelona is one of those we will see ourselves as we understand that the local tour buses make stops close by with a hop on hop off schedule, this was confirmed by my cousin who was in Barcelona last year.

Where are you going? Everything you need is right here at your fingetips on your computer with the Cruise Critic site!! Just get a wet weekend and relax with a thermos of coffee :D Ceck out the Roll calls for your trip to hook up with other parties that may have already booked and be looking for additional people. If there is no Roll Call yet, start one

Regards

Juliadlf thanks for the information I'll be doing some reading on tripadvisors.com and taking a look at a few pictures. Can you give me suggestions on how to book my hotel? Should I go through Expedia or should I try to go directly through the hotel website?

Soccerfan we will leaaving RT Barcelona going to Villefranche, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Sicily. Do have any suggestions on who to book tours with? Which ports do you think I'll be able to do on my own?

Thanks,

Liz

Juliadlf thanks for the information I'll be doing some reading on tripadvisors.com and taking a look at a few pictures. Can you give me suggestions on how to book my hotel? Should I go through Expedia or should I try to go directly through the hotel website?

Thanks,

Liz

Liz:

My experience has always been to book directly through the hotel for Europe trips. I use the websites for research then contact and book directly.

I may be mistaken but doesn't expedia, travelocity, orbitz, etc charge your credit card when you make the reservation? Most hotels ask for a credit card to hold the reservation and do not charge it till you check out. But a note, they do have cancellation policies and I would make sure to read them as to how far in advance of your stay will you be able to cancel without penalty.

The other advantage to checking directly with the hotel is sometimes they run specials which the travel websites don't advertise or they have rooms but not shown on the websites.

Venere.com is another website to use for research but I still think you can do better on your own.

Just my thoughts...

Julia

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the information on the hotels. I think I'll just keep comparing prices and just book on my own. So far I like the Hotel Montecarlo. What do you guys think? The reviews are good and it's ranked #2 on tripadvisor for Barcelona hotels.

Thanks again.

Liz

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the information on the hotels. I think I'll just keep comparing prices and just book on my own. So far I like the Hotel Montecarlo. What do you guys think? The reviews are good and it's ranked #2 on tripadvisor for Barcelona hotels.

Thanks again.

Liz

Hi Liz,

we will also be sailing out of barcelona on our 12 night brilliance cruise. I haven't even begun to look for hotels, but I guess I should start pricing them. I see that you are from Clifton... we live in Nutley! I was wondering whether you would be flying out of Newark or NYC? I tend to think that prices will be cheaper out of New York, but its too early to tell.

We're looking at a cruise next summer sailing from Barcelona going to Italy and France. Just checked around some on airfare, and it's very expensive. We live in West Virginia but have a lot of options from where to fly from and how to get to Barcelona and we have a lot of time to look around. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the best airfare, know any discounts, etc? Thanks!!

My wife and I just booked Oceania's Insignia for a 14 night cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona, Nov. 10, 2007. Great itinerary for those with an archaeological bent/interest. Aft stateroom on deck 7.

Istanbul, Turkey

Mitilini (Lesbos), Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey

Rhodes, Greece

Antalya, Turkey

Limassol, Cyprus

Alexandria, Egypt

Crete (Heraklion), Greece

One day cruising

Valletta, Malta

La Goulette, Tunisia

Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy

Mahon (Minorca), Spain

Barcelona, Spain

We have a roll call started for this cruise, so hoping to hear from some of you in the near future.

Hi Jazz1180......I've been checking on fights going out this October from JFK and Newark. I've notice that Newark has better options when it comes to non-stop flights. JFK has allot of flights that prices are cheaper with 1 or 2 stops in Milano, Paris etc... I don't think that prices will be as bad if they compare to this years in the month of October example...$650 RT non-stop EWR - BCN PP. Hope this helps if you have anyother questions let me know.

How do you get information on that CC cruise?? We are planning to do the MED. in2007 Thanks for your help

Jolie

Jolie:

Not sure I am understanding your question but if your looking at CC cruise, do you mean group cruises here on Cruise Critic? If so there is a list of them on this link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groupcruise.cfm

Scroll to the bottom of the listing and you will see the 2007 CC group cruises. You have to click on most of them to tell what the sailing/itinerary is.

If your talking about a specific cruise line then I would think either contact your TA/online agency or check the cruiseline website.

Hope this helps answer your post.

Julia

• 1 month later...

We are booked on Sea Princess, round trip Southampton, to the Med in June, 2007. Having been to the Med previously, and on other port-intensive cruises, we really liked the sea days on this itinerary. It will feel more like a cruise and less like a marathon. We also like purchasing airfare round trip to London. There is lots of competition on the route, and that helps to keep prices down.

(Only) one year and one week to go!

Joan

Archived