Anyone booked Specialty Restaurant for more than 6 people?

caviargal

I am getting married in Key West while on Century this coming Thanksgiving weekend. Captains Club tells me I cannot book the specialty restaurant for more than 6 people.

Is this correct? They have given me incorrect info before and I find this hard to believe. There will be 8 of us.

Also, is this restaurant adults only? I am hoping so but want to confirm.

TIA

CG

Hi Kim:) You can book for more than 6 but the largest table

holds 6. So...if you have 8, 10, etc..you won't all be able to sit

together.

We had this happen on Constellation. There were 10 of us.

6 sat at one table and 4 sat next to us...with space between.

They won't put tables together. For dessert....I hopped over to

visit my friends at the 4 top;)

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the wine room part of the speciality restaurant has a table large enough for 8. You may want to check on that.

Hey Bill:) We sat in the Wine Cellar on SUMMIT. I keep trying

to remember if it fit 8.......we had 6 but I think it was large

enough for 8...so you are probably correct:D

I know for a fact that one night we ate at the Normandie on the Summit and had eight -- I could even count everyone if I had to. Nadine who is on this board and her Aunt Bev were two of the folks that we ate with.

We made the reservations once we were on the ship and already been to the Normandie a night or two.

It was one of the most memorable nights I've had with friends that I had meet on the ship! The waiters were also having fun because we were having so much fun. It was difficult for them to "take the covers" off the plates for all of us at one time but they rose to the occasion!

All you can do is try once you get on board -- by the way -- our's was round table for eight.

I've been in the Normandie many evening since that night and never seen a table for eight but . . . . "were there is a will there is a way!"

Good luck and have fun.:)

I am getting married in Key West while on Century this coming Thanksgiving weekend. Captains Club tells me I cannot book the specialty restaurant for more than 6 people.

Is this correct? They have given me incorrect info before and I find this hard to believe. There will be 8 of us.

Also, is this restaurant adults only? I am hoping so but want to confirm.

TIA

CG

We were a party of 8 on our February cruise, and ate twice at Ocean Liners at a table for 8.

Our Captains Club email about the specialty restaurant stated that the tables were a max of 6. This was not true on the Constellation as well as the Millennium last year.

Mari

The Captain's Club people making the reservations don't really know what's going on. They said the largest table was for 6. I booked 12 people and a friend booked 6 more. Then more friends booked. We ended up with 23 people. They also booked us for different times like 6:30 and 7:00. When we got there, we went to talk to the Maitre'd and he put all of us a 3 tables which each held 8 people. He also told us that the home office doesn't know what their doing. The 7:00 reservations that they gave us can't be made for a group like ours because it messes up 2 dining slots. We all ended up at 6:00. Make reservations for 6 and then go see them after boarding and they will take care of you. Of course, this was on the Constellation 2 weeks ago. I would think the new Century specialty restaurant will be similar.

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I will book two tables and handle the rest when on board. I will also contact Ships Services about the wine cellar seating.

Dinner at 6 will not work for us as we are late diners so if that is the only option, we will have to pass.

Does the Century even have a specialty restaurant? Well, assuming it does you should be OK.

We just did 8 on the Summit.

Captains club will not take advance reservations for 8, so just tell them it is OK to split into two groups of 4, but to link the reservation so you have them at the same time. Then ASAP upon boarding go to the Specialty restaurant and explain your situation. They will likely put you all at one table, although it will be a bit of a squeeze, and if available put you in the wine room which has a slightly larger table (assuming again that the Century even has this, as I'm only familiar with the Summit M-class ship).

We did exactly this on the Summit a couple weeks ago. They were very nice and very accommodating. We had lots of fun in the Normandy with the great staff there.

If the Century doesn't have a specialty restaurant, you might consider talking to the Asst. Matr'd after dinner the first night (I'd wait until after dinner since the first day is very hectic for these people as they are re-arranging people seating and times trying to make everyone happy). Explain that this will be a wedding dinner and ask what they can do to make it special. I'll bet they will come through with something for you.

Dinner at 6 will not work for us as we are late diners so if that is the only option, we will have to pass.

You can also get a dining time around 8:00 or 8:30. They just wouldn't let us have 7:00 or 7:30. Book 2 tables for 8:00 or 8:30 and then talk to the maitre'd when you get there. The biggest problem you will be dealing with is how similar will the new Century dining room be to that of the M-Class ships? I'm assuming things will be similar but until the ship has been renovated and someone sails on it, this will remain a mystery to all.....Good Luck!

If you reserve a couple tables ahead of time for a specific time you should have no problem. Our group of 8 ate at 7:30. We've also dined at 7 or 7:30 on prior cruises. My experience has been the specialty restaurants only limit the number of people they will serve at one time, not the time anyone can eat. So if you book early for 7 or 7:30 you'll have no problem. But if you go in mid-cruise then the chances are these times already have a lot of diners and you'll have to sit early (6 or 6:30) or late (8:30). At least this has been my experience.

As Captain’s Club member, I could make our reservation in advance through the Captain’s Club desk. It took 2 phone calls and 2 e-mails before I received a confirmation of our reservation. It was stated in the message that the largest table they had was for a party of six, so we thought that we would be split up. When we arrived, they had set a table for eight and it was fine. The tables are pretty spacious and even with all the plates and silverware, we were fine.

We were on the Constellation in Oct 2004. We had such a nice group of people at our dining room table, that we decided to go to the Ocean Liners restaurant together.

We had a table for 8. We didn't make the reservation until three days before that evening. However, we were all both captain's club members and suite guests.

So, yes, there are tables for 8.

CMJ

You can fit 8 in the wine room. we have done it twice each on the Constellation and Millennium. They need everyone's stateroom number or reservation number to make a booking before the cruise.

The wine room is great. Check out my pictures!

Archived