NCL Switched our Cabin assignment for June!

I too would be extremely upset to no longer have connecting cabins... when that is important to you and you purchased it last August it is exactly what you should have... anyone who says it is not a big deal... taht's great that it is not a big deal to them... those who booked and wanted that obviously did so for a reason!

I do believe NCL had to notify your travel agent of the room change and at the very least when you made final payment the travel agent gets a fax to which you review for accuracy and the travel agent should have noticed the room change there. Although NCL may be telling the travel agent there is nothing they can do... the travel agent should be able to go to their NCL district sales manager and pull strings and favors to get you connecting cabins wheter it is a free upgrade or whatever. You have proof of the cabins you originally purchased and you didn't authorize a change... yes it would have been better if you noticed it after getting your final payment invoice... but hey your TA should have noticed it then too. I really would not take no for an answer here and tell your travel agent and NCL you will be calling for updates on your situation every day until the rectify it... someone made a change and is in the middle of a big cover up and that is unfair to you! Again definitely have the travel agent get in contact with their District Sales manager! GOOD LUCK and keep us posted and beyond all have an enjoyable cruise!

When I called for an upsell, they couldn't get ahold of my TA, so they went ahead and made the change and charged my credit card. So, it apparently isn't mandatory that they confirm with the TA before making the change.

In regards to the people in the old cabin assignments. I say leave them alone. They probably have no idea of how things transpired. We all pay a lot of money to take a nice vacation and it isn't right to spoil their vacation by getting in their face. Take the high road, be pleasant to them and enjoy your vacation the best you can.

BTW, there are a lot of worse things in life than getting reassigned a new cabin number. Life is too short to worry about the little things.

Dorothy, The difference is that YOU initiated your cabin change by requesting the upsell. Keystone did not want a cabin change & did not request a cabin change. NCL changed them without notice or consent which is what bothers me most. :mad:

JMHO: the bottom line is NCL can not move your cabin without your consent. Now if they notified the TA and the TA failed to notify keystone or anyone else in their party then I feel the TA is ultimately responsible

Keystone, I hope your problem is resolved before you sail so that you can enjoy a wonderful cruise vacation with your family!!! Good Luck! :)

~Connie

You may have used that TA for decades, but everyone screws up and sounds to me like they were not quite on top of this - perhaps booking you wrongly into a room that cannot accomodate a crib.

BUT - have you pursued the idea of linking the cabins via the balconies? You'd end up with virtually the same type of accomodations. I *think* you can do that on the Dawn and given the height of the balcony you shoudn't have a concern about the kids (though of course you'd be supervising closely that age group).

Well today our TA invited to their office while they made another call to NCL about this situation. We sat there and didn't say anything while the TA and two agency exectutives were on the speaker phone with an NCL Customer Service Rep. The actions and comments by the NCL rep has confirmed my belief that this was NCL's doing and not the TA's as so many of you suggest.

Here are the highlights of the conversation:

NCL was asked why the rooms were switched. "We don't know, but sometimes things have to be done to accomodate others."

What others? "Don't know in this particular case.

What are you going to do about our client's situation. "There isn't a whole H--- of a lot that we can do about it, the rooms are gone."

If our clients want to cancel their cruise because of this switch that they did not authorize, will you refund their full payment? "They will lose their deposit since it is past 75 days prior. We do not refund money for room switches."

So what are we supposed to tell our clients. (irritated voice on the other end:) "Just tell your clients to shut up and deal with it. At least they are still on the cruise."

I knew NCL customer service was bad but the rudeness of this Representative is beyond belief!!!

NCL is still "working on" some sort of compensation for us according to our TA. I will let you know if we hear anything.

Keystone,

I really thought it was your TA's fault until your last statements about the phone call with NCL. I am so sorry you are getting upset and it seems to be souring your entire cruise. Maybe NCL will come up with a good compensation. Whatever that may be, please try to look forward to the cruise. I would hate to see your cruise be ruined by this.

Jeanne

KeystoneCruiser--I'll be thinking of you and hoping all turns out okay for you. We were in a similar situation recently with Princess for our upcoming TP cruise--we'd booked a particular cabin and asked for no upgrade (elderly mom, so we'd booked near the aft elevators to shorten walking distances). I'd been checking online for excursions to open up--almost daily--and one day noted that our cabin had been changed! I called our TA (one of the big ones I've only dealt with on the phone, but for several cruises) and they said they still showed our old cabin. When they called Princess, Princess confirmed what I'd seen on their website, and said our old cabin had already been booked by someone else. And Princess considered our new cabin an "upgrade"--near the front, away from the elevators, etc.! Well, our TA went to bat for us, and by the next morning, we had our old cabin back. If it hadn't been for my checking online almost daily, I'm not sure it would've ended up the way it did. It might not have been noticed until we got our docs, and then too late.

I've only had one experience with NCL (the Sky on one of its last cruises as the Sky), and that time we'd asked to have a balcony and an inside cabin across from each other (again, elderly mom nearby)--well, my mom ended up totally at the front, and we were in a balcony far aft, opposite side of the ship. The ship was totally booked, so we were unable to change it. In that case, I'm still not sure who dropped the ball--NCL or our TA at the time. My mom ended up having the best cabin steward I've ever seen, so she was really pleased about that, but she sure had to walk a lot to get to our cabin and to eat.

Best of luck with everything!

"There isn't a whole H--- of a lot that we can do about it, the rooms are gone."

So what are we supposed to tell our clients. (irritated voice on the other end:) "Just tell your clients to shut up and deal with it. At least they are still on the cruise."

Did your TA immediately demand to speak with a supervisor, in regards to this agent swearing, and telling a TA to advise their clients to "shut up" ?

That's absolutely absurd, and I'm pretty sure is grounds for dismissal from a call centre job. Your TA must have REALLY pushed their buttons.

More than ever I'm thinking that this is the TA's fault, and it sounds as though they're trying to assign blame to NCL, who cannot fix what the TA hath wrought.

Send an email to Colin Veitch, explaining the situation (but remember to quote verbatim...people's jobs are on the line) and ask him to correct it.

You should find out soon enough whose fault this was...

Well today our TA invited to their office while they made another call to NCL about this situation. We sat there and didn't say anything while the TA and two agency exectutives were on the speaker phone with an NCL Customer Service Rep. The actions and comments by the NCL rep has confirmed my belief that this was NCL's doing and not the TA's as so many of you suggest.

NCL was asked why the rooms were switched. "We don't know, but sometimes things have to be done to accomodate others."

What are you going to do about our client's situation. "There isn't a whole H--- of a lot that we can do about it, the rooms are gone."

If our clients want to cancel their cruise because of this switch that they did not authorize, will you refund their full payment? "They will lose their deposit since it is past 75 days prior. We do not refund money for room switches."

I knew NCL customer service was bad but the rudeness of this Representative is beyond belief!!!

NCL is still "working on" some sort of compensation for us according to our TA. I will let you know if we hear anything.

HOW RUDE!!!! :mad:

I cant believe your TA didn't DEMAND to immediately speak with a supervisor. I have to stick with my original opinion (I am entitled to one:rolleyes: ) that your TA is NOT trying very hard to fix this for you. Sounds like he's just making a few calls to appease you and your family but he's certainly NOT following through. Too bad :( .

If I was you I'd get on the phone with NCL directly and not hang up untill I spoke with someone who has some authority- at least to report the CSR's horrible behavior. I'm sure you have his/her name, right? If not your TA should.

Hopefully you will resolve this mess before the cruise and be able to laugh about it over a few frozen drinks by the pool. :) Good Luck!!

~Connie

I really do not think your TA is handling this very well. As soon as someone swears at me on the phone (does not happen often) I want to speak to a supervisor. Did your TA even ask to speak to one. I think your TA dropped the ball and is just trying to appease you. I would not blame NCL for this one, yet. Have a fun time anyway.

OK, I have remained silent (difficult for me:o ) but I can no longer.

I have never, ever, in my 20 odd years of being a TA had anyone "at the other end of the phone" swear at me or tell my client to "shut up". I have had many situations where this could have happened, but did not. Too unprofessional to comprehend.

I am not doubting anyone here....just being skeptical.

1. Any agent should not, nor any wholesaler or cruise line, be on a speaker phone with a client listening. You can always tell as most of you know that have experienced it.

2. Get the name of the person that they were speaking with and call a supervisor to report this conversation. Any calls are documented in your reservation.

3. If this was the fault of NCL, they would give compensation with no problem.

4. I really do feel that there is something else going on here in IMO.

5. The TA would and should have demanded to speak with someone else if she was spoken to this way. This is common practice. You do not take this from any rep. especially if your client is listening (and even if he were not) A TA always wants to be a "hero" to their clients. There is satisfaction in this.

6. NCL does not "work on" getting compensation......the TA does. They are there to work for you.

7. I reiterate......call NCL, demand to speak to a supervisor and tell them word for word what was said.

7. I reiterate......call NCL, demand to speak to a supervisor and tell them word for word what was said.

Calls are recorded for quality purposes - They need to make sure the "transcript "above is accurate. I find it unbelievable but stranger things have happened in this world.

Calls are recorded for quality purposes - They need to make sure the "transcript "above is accurate. I find it unbelievable but stranger things have happened in this world.

Most calls are "Recorded for quality purposes":rolleyes: but ALL calls from a TA are put in the "record".

This saga just seems to be getting worse. I think it was wrong for NCL to change your cabin assignments without notifying you with a phone call.

I think your TA was wrong to have the conversation on speaker phone unless the other party was informed of this. As business professionals, there should be some sense of being able to speak without being tricked by being screened by others without their knowledge. The language used by the NCL rep was inexcusable and should be reported.

I hope you get some kind of resolution to this problem, but if anything, try to enjoy the cruise.

BTW, 4merlurker, I agree with you completely. I wasn't argueing that point, just that someone said the change couldn't be done without contacting the TA first. In fact, they do make changes without contacting the TA that booked the original reservation.

Keystone - I'm on your side with telling the people who bumped you what you think - I would also be telling the ship's hotel director. And then let it go and enjoy the rest of the trip.

I'm one of those people that honk at other drivers that cut me off - sorry, but there is nothing wrong with expressing yourself and refusing to let others walk all over you.

Yikes, I'm glad there aren't more people like this in the world. Expressing yourself is one thing, *issing everyone else off is quite another. I'm always of the mind that everyone else has a gun under their dashboard (I know that's not true) so I watch my manners on the road. Everyone makes mistakes, there are plenty of foolish drivers out there. You really just have to let the fools go and not let it get to you so much.

"Refusing to let others walk all over you"???????? This type of attitude will only get you into altercations, some of which don't end well. Don't you ever read the papers or watch the news? I'm very concerned for your well being.

The people who booked the cabin as a new booking had nothing to do with getting the others out of the cabin. How would you feel if someone approached you with such animosity when you were on vacation. Don't forget, they have to live in close proximity for a week, it could make the whole week miserable for everyone. How do you act that way and then "let it go"?

Think before you react, it's the adult and polite way of handling life.

WOW ! Totally unacceptable! Why on earth is your TA NOT escalating this to SENIOR NCL management??? What I don't get is the passivity on the part of your TA. There is something very puzzling going on here. Your TA is certainly not responsible for NCL's customer service rude behaviour BUT why are they just accepting it and sucking it up???

Having worked in multiple hotel and cruise line call centers in a supervisory and QA capacity, I have NEVER heard an agent curse at a TA or tell a TA to shut up -- the only cursing I ever heard was from the TA's end. If this did, in fact, occur, it is grounds for immediate termination. But again, I have never heard of such a case, even in the most savage of beratings from a TA.

The call just sounds fishy -- Keystone, I am right there with you on your plight. It is a real shame, I hate that you have to go through this before your cruise, and by NO means do I want to challenge you or make you feel defensive here -- I just want to provide my perspective based on time doing the job on the other end of this whole thing. I am no longer in the industry and have NO company or profession to defend here -- just stating how things generally work and what could have happened.

If your TA was talking to a NCL rep, just a front line reservations person, they should have gone to a supervisor without question. Did you catch the agent's name? Did you hear how they answered the phone? Did you see the number that was dialed? I ask this because -- as crazy as it sounds -- I have seen multiple instances over the years when a TA who botched an expensive booking has called a third party with the guest on the line claiming this third party was the cruise line, when in fact, it was not at all... it was a friend, etc., playing a part to convince the client it was the cruise line's fault. Extreme and crazy, i know, but it has happened more than once. Again, i'm not saying your TA did this, I'm just saying the call you heard would be the first one I've heard remotely like it in YEARS of monitoring calls at cruise lines and hotels, and would be grounds for immediate termination. And how the TA just took being cursed at and told that their clients should shut up without asking for a supervisor is beyond me... Remember - it is your TA's job to fix this, it is your TA's BOOKING. If NCL screwed this up somehow, they will accomodate you somehow - it is your TA's job to get that.

As for the booking changing, in reference to my earlier post, the only POSSIBLE way this happens is if the TA booked a crib through a third party automated booking engine and booked a crib into a cabin that could not accomodate a crib. I don't blame the TA 100% for not knowing if the cabin could accomodate a crib, because many at NCL don't even know that (basic rule of thumb: cabin with a fold out DOUBLE sofa bed generally can not accomodate a crib) -- it's a glitch in NCL's reservations system. That being said, if she called the booking in, a res agent could NOT have booked a cabin that didn't accomodate a crib - the INTERNAL system does not allow it.

NCL generates a "Crib Report" once a week or so that lists all the cabins erroneously booked by TA's through automated booking engines, and this report is distributed to agents in order for the cabins to be moved and corrected. This is the ONLY WAY a cabin is just going to be "moved" by NCL -- and even then, YOUR TA WILL BE NOTIFIED. It's not a matter of NCL not calling, either -- when a cabin is moved, a fax is automatically generated to the TA in this case. They got notification. In fact, they got a call before the move was even made to confirm it -- if they didn't, a) someone at NCL would be fired, and b) You would be receiving compensation through the nose right now.

Obviously, this may not be the case as to why the move occured. I'm just telling you that based on my experience with the cruise lines and on the TA side of things, it is the ONLY reason I have ever seen for a random move by the cruise line, unless the TA did, in fact, screw up. And that call really, really bothers me.

Is saying "there isn't a whole hell of alot you can do about it " a curse? I do think its rude---but not a curse...I would really like to know what others think about it.
I was thinking the same thing. It would also depend on the tone used. I was just on the phone with Harland Checks ordering new business checks and the guy I ordered from was talking about how hot it is in Atlanta in the summer and he said, "Well, it's hotter than hell here and I've gotten used to it." (We were talking about Atlanta because we're going there in three weeks.) Anyway...I wasn't offended. But if he would have said, "Who the hell do you think you are?" That would have been inappropriate. So tone and usage would effect how I felt about what that person said.

Actually the 'hell' part does not bother me a lot it's the client should "shut up" part that bothers me and makes me wonder about this situation.

Until Vegasgreen brought it up, I never thought of the TA "staging" something

for the client's benefit. But wow what a coincidence that when the TA has the "service rep" on the speaker phone, they actually make abusive comments about the client (which the client gets to hear). I REALLY hope this is not the scenario because I would hate to think that a TA would be THAT devious. However I now strongly feel that keystone cruiser should consider contacting NCL with the transcript of this conversation and the date and the time and if possible the rep's name and her TA's name.

Either NCL has a truly awful customer service rep whose butt should be fired OR keystone has one truly awful TA whose butt should be fired. Neither case is acceptable and I hope keystone cruiser pursues this.

Good Luck Keystone cruiser with this bad situtation!

I hope keystone cruiser pursues this. Good Luck Keystone cruiser with this bad situtation!
Definitely! For all the back and forth and differing opinions about this scenario...the fact remains that Keystone needs to be made whole again and somebody needs to make that happen.

Vegas Green.........I was thinking the exact same thing about the call......I am glad that you said it first........I would like to know if he were sure NCL was being called. I was not skeptical until he said what was said.

Sid and Cecilia......to say it in that context, I feel that it was meant to be a "curse", and a sarcastic one at that...very cavalier.

I really think that he should call NCL on his own and see if there is a record of the call. Even if they will not tell him verbatim they can tell him if the TA called...who she/he spoke to....what day and time.

If the TA did this BOO BOO, and I am not saying that this is the case, NCL will not be happy:rolleyes:

Stranger things have happened in this business.

Definitely! For all the back and forth and differing opinions about this scenario...the fact remains that Keystone needs to be made whole again and somebody needs to make that happen.

Agree 100% -- You have options, Keystone!!! The most important thing is to get done whatever you can to have this ERASED from your mind when you get onboard that ship for your vacation -- so you can enjoy yourself and your family 100%!!

I don't doubt the original Posters post at all. I am a Travel Agent with a very large chain in Canada. We are so sick and tired with dealing with NCL customer service that we don't tend to recommond NCL much anymore. Even our sales rep can't help us much when we complain. Not that we don't like the product, we are very fond of the product. Just not fond of the service that one gets, even as a TA. I hope everything works out for the OP though... you would think they could upgrade them somehow... gesh...

Archived