NCL Switched our Cabin assignment for June!

I don't know if everyone has read the news about the Carnival incident, but I guess a passenger on one of Carnivals ships jumped overboard this weekend from his balcony. The reason I am posting this here is to show why I don't really want the doors between the balcony's open and no connecting rooms. If the balcony is the only connection between the two rooms, then the kids (ages 5 & 8) will probably want to run back and forth between them using the balconies. (especially the 5 year old whos parents will be in the other room with baby brother)

I think since we no longer have our connecting rooms, I am not going to have the balcony's opened between the rooms to remove the temptation from the kids. You can watch the kids closely, but it only takes a moment for something bad to happen.

Thanks again.

I don't know if everyone has read the news about the Carnival incident, but I guess a passenger on one of Carnivals ships jumped overboard this weekend from his balcony. The reason I am posting this here is to show why I don't really want the doors between the balcony's open and no connecting rooms. If the balcony is the only connection between the two rooms, then the kids (ages 5 & 8) will probably want to run back and forth between them using the balconies. (especially the 5 year old whos parents will be in the other room with baby brother)

I think since we no longer have our connecting rooms, I am not going to have the balcony's opened between the rooms to remove the temptation from the kids. You can watch the kids closely, but it only takes a moment for something bad to happen.

Thanks again.

Keystone, of course we are all sorry this had to happen to you, but I am sure your cruise will still be outstanding> As for the balcony, I agree with you 100%. The world will not come to an end if the balcony isn't open and you will be able to rest assured the kids will be safer. Have a great time. NMnita

As a person who has been following this board for some time in preperation for our Pride of Hawaii cruise this fall, I have not needed to register and post. Every question that I have had has been answered by other posts or through the "search" feature. I have been following this thread with great interest as well.

I am involved with PR for a company in my area and even though I don't have a "dog in this fight," I feel compelled to add in my two cents.

To me NCL is missing the boat on this story. This whole incident is playing very badly for them from a PR standpoint and they seem oblivious to it. Keystone Cruiser has explained his story on numerous occasions on this board and basically, it seems, has the sympathy of many on here including some of the most ardent NCL passengers and posters on this board. (Shoreguy, Host Cecilia, Cosmopolitan, NewMexicoNita for example) He has admited his own guilt and the guilt of his TA and more interestingly to me, is not even really asking for serious compensation. Those who have suggested the free upgrades have been others, not the person involved. He in fact has stated that he is willing to pay something for an upgrade.

The question then becomes "why is NCL doing this?" I'm not sure. Either they don't read these boards, don't realize what the story is doing to their image, or they have another reason that is publically unknown.

I would like to venture a simple guess as to that reason. Keystone Cruiser mentioned that his travel agency is no longer doing business with NCL and have even dropped their ads from local papers. If this is the case, then perhaps NCL has no desire to help people who use this agency any longer. Keystone Cruiser got stuck in the middle of that.

NCL, however is the one that looks bad in all this and they really need to do something and do it quick. I'm sure that even though documents have been issued with stateroom numbers, those can be changed.

If I was Mr. Veitch or whoever is in charge of PR, the first thing I would do on Tuesday morning is head down to the representatives who work with TA's, find the CSR who is working with this TA and tell her to fix the problem by offering some sort of upgrade. If the connecting cabins that Keystone Cruiser and Cosmopolitan have mentioned are in fact gone and can't be recovered, then I would attempt to find two cabins side by side in another upgrade catagory and offer that. Regardless, I would instruct the CSR to find some way to solve this issue. Then NCL can offer the upgrade, either free or with a charge, and then the whole issue falls to Keystone Cruiser. If he does not accept the upgrade or is unwilling to pay for it, then NCL has made an attempt to fix the problem and the fault now switches to Keystone Cruiser.

NCL has potential cruisers questioning whether or not to sail with NCL as a result of this thread and that is never good. Cruise Critic can be helpful to NCL but it appears that NCL has not yet figured out how to do that.

Personally, I do feel that NCL should offer a free upgrade in order to repair the damage but I can also see the other side of not granting free upgrades just because you don't like your cabin assignment.

That is just my opinion. Now that I am an "official" member of these boards, look for more questions from me about the Pride of Hawaii!

John

The question then becomes "why is NCL doing this?" I'm not sure. Either they don't read these boards, don't realize what the story is doing to their image, or they have another reason that is publically unknown.

I would like to venture a simple guess as to that reason. Keystone Cruiser mentioned that his travel agency is no longer doing business with NCL and have even dropped their ads from local papers. If this is the case, then perhaps NCL has no desire to help people who use this agency any longer. Keystone Cruiser got stuck in the middle of that.

John

I certainly hope that is not the case! My situation alone is not why the TA stopped selling NCL. According to them, they have had numerous problems and this may have been coming for some time. I honestly don't believe this to be the case.

NCL has potential cruisers questioning whether or not to sail with NCL as a result of this thread and that is never good.

That is just my opinion. Now that I am an "official" member of these boards, look for more questions from me about the Pride of Hawaii!

John

First, welcome to CC! Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. I was on the POA a couple of years ago and really enjoyed cruising Hawaii. The POH is very similar in layout to the Star and Dawn and the Star is my favorite ship!

I also don't want my story to be the reason people choose or not choose NCL. As I have stated over and over, choosing a cruise line should be based on personal needs and desires, not someone else's problems or successes.

As I have also stated before, I think it is too late for changes. As NMNita stated above, the cruise will be outstanding in spite of the problem because NCL's greatest positives are their ships and their outstanding crews! Corporate and customer service has always left a lot to be desired in my mind. We will just make due with the hand that we are dealt.

I have no idea why his Travel agency stopped advertising NCL or using them. I have a gut feeling, depending on what company they are connected with. This case is totally unexceptable, but does not mean any agency should stop using NCL or any other line. As I have said previously; read the Celebrity board right now: not positive. I feel bad telling so many of my clients (after they have booked) what a good choice they made with Celebrity. This can be said about any line. For me and I will admit, my company's favorite line is not NCL, any TA that doesn't sell a cruise line has a situation much deeper than any of us know. BTW, NCL does read these boards. NCL does have some issues, but it still has a lot to offer. Keystone, I know you will have a great cruise and of course good or bad you will let us know.

Happy cruisin and happy Seas welcome to the board; If you have been lurking I know you realize part of what keeps us going is disagreements. As long as we stay somewhat civil we can enjoy reading each opinion. Please contribute. NMNita

Thanks again.

I agree!

The open balcony is certainly NOT worth the worry!

Have a wonderful cruise:)

The two who gave you the information about all 3 being good lines and it depends on what you are looking for are professsion and doing their job: the third one is extremely unprofessional, I would never deal with someone who made a statement like that. I have had a very bad customer service problem with a particular line and hesitate, myself to cruise them for that reason: I would never push this view off on a client if they said they were thinking of A,B or C lines. My experience is not that of everyone's. On the oppisite side, I have yet, in 7 years of being an agent had a problem with NCL, but that doesn't mean others haven't. NMNita

NMNita: We are no longer considering the third agent for other reasons. (one being that she kept calling back asking if we were ready to book) I have continued to look for TA's, but the second one that I talked to is our leading candidate right now mainly because she was the most friendliest and had the most information about all the lines. She also sent a very nice card in the mail with her business card and a note saying that she hoped my search turned out well. No phone calls, no continual contacts.

As far as my story is concerned, I presented the information yesterday to most of the family and showed both the Princess and NCL information. I was able to answer their questions even! I also shared this story from this thread and it was discussed by the group. Is it an isolated incident? Could this happen to us and why is NCL semmingly doing nothing and in fact, hiding from this problem. It most concerned my dad that there were solutions available a couple of weeks ago and NCL did not act. As my uncle put it, "it seems that they don't care as long as they have their money." I know Keystone does not want to hear this, but unless NCL does something to help this situation, we are going with Princess because we don't feel NCL cares enough about their customers. The entire family will be together on Father's Day and that is when we make the decision.

I'm not sure however that if I was Keystone, I would still be defending NCL. Have you heard anything back from the letter that you sent?

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but have you tried contacting a local TV station that does consumer reports. Or contacting a travel magazine that helps with travel related problems (I know Conde Naste Traveller has an ombudsman column). Since you have played out your options with NCL maybe they can help. If you want to go this far you can file a complaint with your BBB. That may get NCL's attention and for them to at least negotiate with you. I agree that is is partially your fault, but it is poor customer service on NCLs part to not try to accomodate you somehow if they can.

Mayhalf, I don't think anyone would blame you for your choice. Yes, this most likely is something most would never be faced with, but that being said, and you are torn between the two lines, I think you will be happy with your choice. Do try NCL anyway, one of these days; it really is a great cruise line. uomograsso, of course the answer to everything today is 1-sue or 2-take it to the media. With 24/7 coverage and some networks loving these kinds of stories it might get picked up, but why? I just have the gut feeling this is not something Keystone would be likely to do. Actually, rethinking this, I really don't think it would warrent much attention.

NMNIta

As far as my story is concerned, I presented the information yesterday to most of the family and showed both the Princess and NCL information. I was able to answer their questions even! I also shared this story from this thread and it was discussed by the group. Is it an isolated incident? Could this happen to us and why is NCL semmingly doing nothing and in fact, hiding from this problem. It most concerned my dad that there were solutions available a couple of weeks ago and NCL did not act. As my uncle put it, "it seems that they don't care as long as they have their money." I know Keystone does not want to hear this, but unless NCL does something to help this situation, we are going with Princess because we don't feel NCL cares enough about their customers. The entire family will be together on Father's Day and that is when we make the decision.

Yet, for every negative story posted here there are postive ones too. I'm one of those who experienced excellent responses from NCL when things went wrong. So, in all fairness to your family, I hope you searched for one of those positive stories and provided that information too.

As Keystone said, NCL's most positive is their ships and outstanding crews! Remember that, because it most certainly is true.

Yet, for every negative story posted here there are postive ones too. I'm one of those who experienced excellent responses from NCL when things went wrong. So, in all fairness to your family, I hope you searched for one of those positive stories and provided that information too.

As Keystone said, NCL's most positive is their ships and outstanding crews! Remember that, because it most certainly is true.

I totally agree. I have had problems with EVERY cruise line in one form or another.......switched cabins.......cancelled cabins that were on deposit........bad cust. service........I could go on and on.

BUT for every negative there are 100`s of positives. In travel you can usually expect SOMETHING to go wrong:o You are dealing with so many variables and so many people, that it is like running a gauntlet sometimes:rolleyes: .

They are going on a cruise. The problem is not catastrophic. Be happy:)

I too have had great experiences with NCL. Of course we can all remember the bad ones, but most are so positive we just blow them off. This morning I had the most helpful and nicest agent. ONe of my clients wanted to make certain she was getting all her disxounts (long story) the agent went over every detail with me. When she wasn't sure of an answer as the reservation is a bit involved she checked with someone else to make certain she had the right information. I go off the phone feeling all my questions were answered and felt confident letting the client know the status. NMNita

You should, of course, make the decision that's best for your family. However, as others have said, problems aren't exclusive to NCL. You could decide to go with Princess and have something go wrong with them. While Keystone's problem is pretty awful, it's not the kind of thing that you can expect to happen to you. It's more of an isolated incident that's not being handled well. But choosing another line doesn't make you immune to problems. So again, do what's best for your family but remember that no cruise line is perfect and if you read the Princess board you'll find their share of complaints.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but have you tried contacting a local TV station that does consumer reports. Or contacting a travel magazine that helps with travel related problems (I know Conde Naste Traveller has an ombudsman column). Since you have played out your options with NCL maybe they can help. If you want to go this far you can file a complaint with your BBB. That may get NCL's attention and for them to at least negotiate with you. I agree that is is partially your fault, but it is poor customer service on NCLs part to not try to accomodate you somehow if they can.

Obviously, it is too late for any of that stuff now at less than 20 days before the cruise. I think most everyone on here knows me well enough to know that I will tell this story for others. I have always told my NCL stories, the good ones, the great ones, the ok ones and the bad ones. That is one of the purposes of this board: to share ALL the stories. Will I write letters to Travelers Magazines and the AAA, probably. (I have in the past). Will I report NCL to the BBB, doubtful. I find the BBB basically worthless and besides what good will it do after the cruise.

No, all I can do is tell my story so others will be aware (and check their registrations before mailing in their final payment...:) doh!). I would love to tell this story with a happy ending for our family and NCL, but it doesn't appear that will be the case.

Of course my pre cruise adventure will not impact my opinion of the ship and the crew. That will be fair and concise.

Finally, Mayhalf: as I have said, please don't base your decision solely on my problems. It is one story and as others have said, there are many other stories on both sides. Of course, if you feel that you don't want to cruise NCL and my problem is ONE of the reasons (not the only one), then I can accept that but I don't want to be the only reason.

and in response to your last comment: I have sent two letters and as of yet no response.

Obviously, it is too late for any of that stuff now at less than 20 days before the cruise. I think most everyone on here knows me well enough to know that I will tell this story for others. I have always told my NCL stories, the good ones, the great ones, the ok ones and the bad ones. That is one of the purposes of this board: to share ALL the stories. Will I write letters to Travelers Magazines and the AAA, probably. (I have in the past). Will I report NCL to the BBB, doubtful. I find the BBB basically worthless and besides what good will it do after the cruise.

No, all I can do is tell my story so others will be aware (and check their registrations before mailing in their final payment...:) doh!). I would love to tell this story with a happy ending for our family and NCL, but it doesn't appear that will be the case.

Of course my pre cruise adventure will not impact my opinion of the ship and the crew. That will be fair and concise.

Finally, Mayhalf: as I have said, please don't base your decision solely on my problems. It is one story and as others have said, there are many other stories on both sides. Of course, if you feel that you don't want to cruise NCL and my problem is ONE of the reasons (not the only one), then I can accept that but I don't want to be the only reason.

and in response to your last comment: I have sent two letters and as of yet no response.

I have had enough. This person has been and continues to be a great advocate for NCL. They made one mistake even though the mistake was initiated by NCL. I can't believe that the NCL President and officers aren't doing anything about this, not even a phone call or attempt to fix it. In my opinion it is just downright irresponsible and unAmerican. I guess making money by not giving away anything free is more important than doing the right thing and fixing a mistake you made. I would be ashamed to work for or be an officer of such a company.

Keystone, you are a fine person with high values. Keep the faith. (and I hope you do meet the people in YOUR rightful cabin.)

I have had enough. This person has been and continues to be a great advocate for NCL. They made one mistake even though the mistake was initiated by NCL. I can't believe that the NCL President and officers aren't doing anything about this, not even a phone call or attempt to fix it. In my opinion it is just downright irresponsible and unAmerican. I guess making money by not giving away anything free is more important than doing the right thing and fixing a mistake you made. I would be ashamed to work for or be an officer of such a company.

Keystone, you are a fine person with high values. Keep the faith. (and I hope you do meet the people in YOUR rightful cabin.)

Mayhalf, your rhetoric is astonishing.

A letter to the President sent within the last couple of months may not have even been read yet.

In cases where there is a certain urgency, email or faxes are a more approrpriate way to go.

We STILL don't know for certain, that it isn't all the TA trying to cya on a mistake they made, and trying desperately not to offend a long-time customer who brings them group bookings.

It's highly interesting the way you say they're being unAmerican, and then explain that their modus operandi is to make as much money as possible, without giving out freebies..... 1) I've seen them atone for issues with future cruise credits, and also with partial refunds (search my posts for further details). 2) Isn't what you are accusing them of, the epitome of Americanism (capitalism)?

In no way am I agreeing with you that they are wantonly disregarding Keystone. In fact, I'd almost be willing to take up the fight on Keystone's behalf, since I don't tend to take 'no' for an answer.

I suspect we'd have this thing wrapped up before the end of the day. :eek:

Keystone has been a consistent diplomat, and unfortunately sometimes diplomacy is a time-consuming and fruitless process.

Myself...I'd pick up the phone, tell the person who answers that I want customer relations.

Then I'd tell customer relations that I want a supervisor.

Then I'd tell the supervisor that I'd like to know their manager's name, in the event that it needs to escalate further.

THEN I'd tell them what the situation was.

First though, I'd check whether a solution was available (the AB / AF thing)..and I'd reserve it online, effectively securing it for 15-20 minutes.

Then I'd ask the supervisor to figure out, in consultation with their superiors, how best to rectify the situation, up to & including the possibility of moving me to the AB/AF suites, and if there has to be an additional charge, at least allowing me to consider whether its feasible.

THEN, I'd add-up the costs, including the upcharge, and write a Letter of Demand. I'd send it by email or fax to NCL's legal department, and cc Colin Veitch.

I'd explain how patiently I'd waiting for them to rectify the situation, but when no assistance appeared forthcoming, I solved the problem myself...which unnecessarily cost me extra money.

I'd demand that they reimbuse the extra, so that I was only paying what I originally agreed to.

------------------

All of this process should take about an hour. The TA should have done it weeks ago...

Sounds like the TA is too timid, in my opinion.

As for how long it takes to respond to things, remember that there are 25,000 people cruising NCL in any given week.... if 1/2 of 1% of them had an issue, that's 125 people....then there are any potential issues being dealt with from people who have cruised recently.

Then there are those from people who haven't yet cruised (like this situation).

It adds up. And the CEO isn't a full-time complaint handler...he's responsible for deciding whether to spend $500 million, or $600 million on the next ship, and whether it should be Panamax, or bigger, whether they should move training from Miami to Baltimore, whether Klaus should be taken OFF a ship & moved shore-side, etc.

If you had tried to get a personal email from Jack Welsh at General Electric, because your light bulb burned sooner than expected, you'd have waiting FAR more than 2 months (or 25 years...for that matter).

Either be patient & diplomatic, or escalate & be aggressive.

Mayhalf, your rhetoric is astonishing.

A letter to the President sent within the last couple of months may not have even been read yet.

In cases where there is a certain urgency, email or faxes are a more approrpriate way to go.

We STILL don't know for certain, that it isn't all the TA trying to cya on a mistake they made, and trying desperately not to offend a long-time customer who brings them group bookings.

It's highly interesting the way you say they're being unAmerican, and then explain that their modus operandi is to make as much money as possible, without giving out freebies..... 1) I've seen them atone for issues with future cruise credits, and also with partial refunds (search my posts for further details). 2) Isn't what you are accusing them of, the epitome of Americanism (capitalism)?

In no way am I agreeing with you that they are wantonly disregarding Keystone. In fact, I'd almost be willing to take up the fight on Keystone's behalf, since I don't tend to take 'no' for an answer.

I suspect we'd have this thing wrapped up before the end of the day. :eek:

Keystone has been a consistent diplomat, and unfortunately sometimes diplomacy is a time-consuming and fruitless process.

Myself...I'd pick up the phone, tell the person who answers that I want customer relations.

Then I'd tell customer relations that I want a supervisor.

Then I'd tell the supervisor that I'd like to know their manager's name, in the event that it needs to escalate further.

THEN I'd tell them what the situation was.

First though, I'd check whether a solution was available (the AB / AF thing)..and I'd reserve it online, effectively securing it for 15-20 minutes.

Then I'd ask the supervisor to figure out, in consultation with their superiors, how best to rectify the situation, up to & including the possibility of moving me to the AB/AF suites, and if there has to be an additional charge, at least allowing me to consider whether its feasible.

THEN, I'd add-up the costs, including the upcharge, and write a Letter of Demand. I'd send it by email or fax to NCL's legal department, and cc Colin Veitch.

I'd explain how patiently I'd waiting for them to rectify the situation, but when no assistance appeared forthcoming, I solved the problem myself...which unnecessarily cost me extra money.

I'd demand that they reimbuse the extra, so that I was only paying what I originally agreed to.

------------------

All of this process should take about an hour. The TA should have done it weeks ago...

Sounds like the TA is too timid, in my opinion.

As for how long it takes to respond to things, remember that there are 25,000 people cruising NCL in any given week.... if 1/2 of 1% of them had an issue, that's 125 people....then there are any potential issues being dealt with from people who have cruised recently.

Then there are those from people who haven't yet cruised (like this situation).

It adds up. And the CEO isn't a full-time complaint handler...he's responsible for deciding whether to spend $500 million, or $600 million on the next ship, and whether it should be Panamax, or bigger, whether they should move training from Miami to Baltimore, whether Klaus should be taken OFF a ship & moved shore-side, etc.

If you had tried to get a personal email from Jack Welsh at General Electric, because your light bulb burned sooner than expected, you'd have waiting FAR more than 2 months (or 25 years...for that matter).

I keep reading about how the cruiseline won't deal with you if you book with a TA and that the TA has to get things straightened out for you unless you are on a 3way call. How is it you could get this resolved by yourself?

Not trying to be a smart*ss, just curious.

Bill

A third option escalate & be diplomatic. I found this works very well.

This is an unfortunate situation but not the biggest issue faced by cruisers. I provided a name the Keystone cruises TA could have contacted. I personally would from what has be posted expected my TA to be much more active in resolving the problem

At least they have the same categories next to each other. Not the end of the world but not what they thought they purchased. My booking on the Jewel dropped completely out of the system. When I called I was told sorry all balconies are gone, we can book you an oceanview.

Escalated same answer - sorry nothing we can do. Two emails to NCL. Got a call from Kathy. Indicated she needed 48 hours to work the problem. I ended up not only with a balcony but the same one I booked less then 72 hours after the booking was canceled in error.

I have found the longer things go the harder it is to resolve. One other message for those who want to shout inflammatory statements the following is from Colin Vietch in reply to my email thanking Kathy for resolving my situation and good advice for all:

"Thanks for your continued support and your reasonable approach to airing

your frustration. The reasonable people are, in the end, more likely to have a good outcome -- especially if they feel that writing to me should be part of their approach. I respond to reasonableness!"

Keystone perhaps a last email indicating you followed his advice and don't feel the outcome was very good.

Thank you for your compliment in your last statement and I have appreciated your support, (and please do not take this the wrong way), but I have a problem with your post. As Shoreguy and others above have pointed out, a diplomatic approach is much more likely to get some kind of response than screaming at them, threatening them or calling them unAmerican. Being diplomatic is the course of action I have tried to follow and will continue to follow.

Even if nothing changes, I will not come on here in late June and say "NCL is the worst cruiseline out there because they switched me" because that is not true. They are a fine cruiseline and the Freestyle concept is the best thing to happen to cruising as it is bringing more people in. (I mentioned before about switching lines next year and the one thing that is driving me nuts is the fact that even on Princess, you have to dress up on formal night or eat in the buffet.) In my review, I will mention my problem, tell what we tried to do to fix it and the outcome. Then I will move on the cruise itself. What was good about it, what, if anything was bad about it, and hopefully provide some helpful hints to assist other cruisers.

I just hope that your comments will not hinder any possible resolution to my situation.

Hey Keystone...let's start a petition to support you. ;) I'll sign. I'm sure others will too. Then we can forward it to NCL. It just seems wrong. Time is wasting away...let's get on this. :D

.......First though, I'd check whether a solution was available (the AB / AF thing)..and I'd reserve it online, effectively securing it for 15-20 minutes.........

I do feel this whole thing is quite unfortunate and anyone in a similar situation would feel the same way. But as sjbdtz suggested, it's worth some brief research to see if something similar to your original arrangements is even available. My thinking is, if there's not, then any possible resolution could result in disrupting someone else's plans, which would involve totally innocent parties who know nothing about the mistake that was made.

If nothing else, there should be some monetary compensation for the mistake.

I'll sign. I'm a long-standing NCL past guest. And YA a nice onboard room credit is absolutely in order. I'm shocked that NCL hasn't responded. Where's the petition? I'll sign in big bold letters!

That said, Keystone-- have a great cruise!

I am so sorry that this has happened to you and your family. I think the cruise line is at fault (maybe even your travel agent), but someone sure is. I plan on booking some connecting cabins for next year to Alaska on the NCL Sun. I hope it works out for me. I will watch my travel agent like a hawk to make sure that nothing like yours happens to me. Just one more thing, PLEASE do not blame the people that were put in your original cabins. They are very innocent. I wouldn't want someone to come up to me and blame me of what has happened. All we know is that they booked cabins and that is what they were given. Of course the cabins were given to them by NCL. I hope that you have a great cruise and look forward to your review when you get back. I was on the Star last year and you are going to love it.

Archived