NCL Switched our Cabin assignment for June!

Our TA relayed this info to me and I went to work using NCL's website Voyages and Pricing link. Although I did not find any connecting cabins in catagories BC and up into the A's. I did find three AB's that connected with AF's. (I know they are not two in our catagory, but they are connecting.) Called the TA with the cabin numbers of two connectings. (not requesting them for ourselves because again, I am not looking for compensation) She called NCL to inquire about what price difference there would be to switch us there. NCL informed her that the website must have been wrong as they didn't show that AB or AF being open.

I go back on the website, and wah-la, that AB is no longer there. (this combination had been open for months and all of a sudden it disappears three hours after we ask about it -- this was Tuesday night) Now to have some fun..... Called the TA back and gave her the numbers of another AB connecting to AF. On Wednesday, she called back and said that NCL said that wasn't open. Go to website...now it is gone too!! Called back one more time with the final AB and its connecting AF. Now lets see if it disappears too..

Shouldn't your TA being doing all this work on your behalf?

Here is the latest follow-up as promised:

As suggested by many on here, I sent a letter to NCL President Mr. Veitch. (email and snail mail for good measure) I was not rude nor demanding. Simply stated the whole story and expressed my displeasure at the whole situation. The only resolution that I requested was that NCL improve their customer service department to cut out the obvious lying, rudeness and avoidance. My suggestion was that if they cannot help a customer or if the request by the customer is not possible, then say so and not try to hide things.

I told him that while I still enjoy NCL cruises and will continue to use my experiences to help others, it will be hard for me to reccommend NCL cruises to family and friends due to their poor customer service standards.

I wrote this letter about 10 days ago.

Thanks for all of the support I have received. I doubt there will be any further changes in this situation, so this most likely will be the last update. (until my review of the cruise afterwards and although I most likely will mention this situation, it will not factor into my evaluation of the cruise itself as I have found that NCL's ships and ship crews are their best feature!)

Please let us know what response (or not) that you receive from Mr Veitch or his representative or other NCL rep.

Continuing with Updates:

1.) For the first time in five years. (that I have been watching for their ads), there were NO ads for NCL cruises in our local, major city newspaper in Sunday's Travel Section. As I was told and reported, our TA was the only one that advertized NCL in the paper and they have stopped running ads for NCL. (the TA had ads for RCCL & Princess in the paper)

2.) TA inquired about upsells to possibly move us to connecting rooms that way. NCL's reply: "No upsells available." (In following the open rooms on their website, a lot of additional rooms in most of the "A" and "B" catagories have come open, including the connecting cabins that we inquired about earlier that they pulled off the website right after we inquired.)

Will keep the updates coming if things change.

Thanks for the link to this thread. Your situation, whether and isolated incident or not, has given me food for thought as we consider which line to go with for our family cruise. Irregardless of whose fault it is (appears all are at fault: NCL, TA, Keystone), it is interesting to me that they can't come to some sort of compromise. Perhaps if both sides gave a little.

It is still quite shocking to me that Keystone continues to support NCL and has been one of the most helpful people on this or the Princess board in helping me choose a cruise and a cruiseline to recommend to my family in a couple of weeks (father's day meeting).

I hope updates will continue and I will continue to follow this thread, now that I have found it, and I will have to consider this room switching possibility when I book our cruise, do I want to risk it or go a different line.

Thanks for the link to this thread. Your situation, whether and isolated incident or not, has given me food for thought as we consider which line to go with for our family cruise. Irregardless of whose fault it is (appears all are at fault: NCL, TA, Keystone), it is interesting to me that they can't come to some sort of compromise. Perhaps if both sides gave a little.

It is still quite shocking to me that Keystone continues to support NCL and has been one of the most helpful people on this or the Princess board in helping me choose a cruise and a cruiseline to recommend to my family in a couple of weeks (father's day meeting).

I hope updates will continue and I will continue to follow this thread, now that I have found it, and I will have to consider this room switching possibility when I book our cruise, do I want to risk it or go a different line.

So far, it's happened once, that I've heard of.

10 ships, 52 weeks in a year, 2000 passengers each. 1 room change.

Definately worth considering.

Though this approach might be negated when the OP did not review their final payment/documents, what if...

Dear NCL : Our "contract" to cruise with you included connecting cabins for our 1 year old and space for a crib. Without this, we would not of chosen this cruise. This was confirmed on more than one occassion when your reservation staff attempted to move our room (or whatever it was that happend). You are unable to meet the originally agreed to "contract", so we no longer have a deal. You, not us, have effectively cancelled the cruise. Please refund ALL payments due to your inability to deliver the originally promised product.

End of discussion.

garycarla: I did write a letter to NCL President Colin Veitch basically stating our disappointment and reviewing the story with him. I did not make any specific requests for compensation or other considerations but I did point out my disgust at their customer service department and the way the whole thing was handled. Many times letters to the President or Customer Service don't get responses for long periods of time if at all, so I am not planning on seeing a response until after our June cruise, if at all.

I have maintained all along that it was my mistake for not checking and comparing the room numbers on the first bill and final bill. This whole issue could have been cleared up then had I caught that and our group would just have cancelled out.

As for your suggestion, I wish that would work, but the agreement that you sign with NCL clearly states rules for cancelling, including financial penalties and you agree to that when you make your payments. Yes, NCL may be in a breach of their end of the contract, but I doubt they would give in so freely. It would most likely end up in court with attorneys and I personally hate people who litigate everything and don't want to be one of those. It is also a little more complicated than just our room and my brother in law's rooms. There are three other rooms that other family members and friends have and NCL has not done anything to them to warrant refunding their money. (especially on a ship that is still showing many open cabins in most catagories.)

I am not one to rant and rave and threaten NCL. I will deal with this situation by telling my story to whoever I can, both on here and on board the ship.

Mayhalf: I have always maintained that NCL has the best ships and crews of the cruise lines. It is just their corporate management and especially their customer service that needs ALOT of improvement. I will continue to try and provide answers to NCL questions where I can but I think you will find that my encouragement for people to sail with them has dropped.

Each person (or group) has to make their own decision on what is best for them. Providing them with complete information, good or bad, is the best we can do to help people. Some on here get very defensive anytime anything negative is posted about NCL and many posters get attacked. I disagree with that tactic. Present ALL the information, good and bad and let the person make an informed decision.

I will disagree with one thing Sjbdtz said, yes there may have only been one room change that has been reported on here, but there is another thread about a reservation disappearing. Also, CC members are only a very small part of the total number of people who cruise on NCL. Like you said in your first post on your thread, you were told about this site by someone and you found us. How many people do not know about CC. There may be other stories like mine out there, they are just not CC members. So his figures about 10 ships, 52 weeks and 2000 passengers and one room change may not be accurate. Out of those 20,000 passengers per week, MAYBE 200 (1%) are CC members.

Finally, yes I will keep providing updates when I have them, but I doubt there will be any changes. I keep hoping that NCL will do something about our situation, but they have had the letter for three weeks now and nothing has happened.

sjbdtz: I just read another thread on here where NCL is refusing to work with customers requests. This, along with Keystones situation and the disappearing reservation is supposed to make me feel confident about NCL customer service. The thing that bothers me most I think is that it appears NCL is all but ignoring these problems. Although I think the Star is becoming my top choice for ship and itinerary, these stories, especially Keystones, is making me keep Princess in consideration. I will watch what happens to these people and NCL's responses since I have until Father's Day to decide.

The thing that bothers me most I think is that it appears NCL is all but ignoring these problems.

You and me both!

I will watch what happens to these people and NCL's responses since I have until Father's Day to decide.

Since we sail out on the Dawn on Father's Day, we should know exactly what NCL is (not??) going to do about the situation.....lol:D :D :D

garycarla: I did write a letter to NCL President Colin Veitch basically stating our disappointment and reviewing the story with him. I did not make any specific requests for compensation or other considerations but I did point out my disgust at their customer service department and the way the whole thing was handled. Many times letters to the President or Customer Service don't get responses for long periods of time if at all, so I am not planning on seeing a response until after our June cruise, if at all.

I have maintained all along that it was my mistake for not checking and comparing the room numbers on the first bill and final bill. This whole issue could have been cleared up then had I caught that and our group would just have cancelled out.

As for your suggestion, I wish that would work, but the agreement that you sign with NCL clearly states rules for cancelling, including financial penalties and you agree to that when you make your payments. Yes, NCL may be in a breach of their end of the contract, but I doubt they would give in so freely. It would most likely end up in court with attorneys and I personally hate people who litigate everything and don't want to be one of those. It is also a little more complicated than just our room and my brother in law's rooms. There are three other rooms that other family members and friends have and NCL has not done anything to them to warrant refunding their money. (especially on a ship that is still showing many open cabins in most catagories.)

I am not one to rant and rave and threaten NCL. I will deal with this situation by telling my story to whoever I can, both on here and on board the ship.

Mayhalf: I have always maintained that NCL has the best ships and crews of the cruise lines. It is just their corporate management and especially their customer service that needs ALOT of improvement. I will continue to try and provide answers to NCL questions where I can but I think you will find that my encouragement for people to sail with them has dropped.

Each person (or group) has to make their own decision on what is best for them. Providing them with complete information, good or bad, is the best we can do to help people. Some on here get very defensive anytime anything negative is posted about NCL and many posters get attacked. I disagree with that tactic. Present ALL the information, good and bad and let the person make an informed decision.

I will disagree with one thing Sjbdtz said, yes there may have only been one room change that has been reported on here, but there is another thread about a reservation disappearing. Also, CC members are only a very small part of the total number of people who cruise on NCL. Like you said in your first post on your thread, you were told about this site by someone and you found us. How many people do not know about CC. There may be other stories like mine out there, they are just not CC members. So his figures about 10 ships, 52 weeks and 2000 passengers and one room change may not be accurate. Out of those 20,000 passengers per week, MAYBE 200 (1%) are CC members.

Finally, yes I will keep providing updates when I have them, but I doubt there will be any changes. I keep hoping that NCL will do something about our situation, but they have had the letter for three weeks now and nothing has happened.

Keystone ~

Good luck.

Your posts are always informative and I have always enjoyed them.

I'm not placing any fault here..but shouldn't your TA have checked your first and final bill?

Isn't that "part" of the purpose of a TA. (earning their commission)?

I don't use a TA but I assume they take on that responsibility.

Why do you see nothing wrong with that?

All was fine when documents came back without a problem in the past.

We don't know the background...problems NCL has had in the past with this TA? Just a thought.

And, why deceive NCL (on the part of the TA) & put them on speaker phone while the customer was there?

Why not advise NCL that the customer was there listening to the conversation??

I have a problem with deceit/lies and would NOT tolerate that being done to me or for me!

I have always dealt directly with NCL (5 cruises/2 years) no problem.

I would be upset, as you are, with the cabins being moved around but...make sure you are accusing the right person.

I do believe that if I was using a TA, that TA should have caught the change/error.

And, the TA should correct it - at their expense!

I have always gotten a response from customer service and C. Veitch BUT..as stated...I deal direct with NCL!

Good luck!

I hope it all works out!

You deserve a wonderful cruise:)

Look forward to your review:)

Cosmo: I too find your posts informative and interesting and I do not feel attacked by your post. It is simply suggestions and questions and it is a refreshing change on here lately!:) Let me respond to some of your items.

I'm not placing any fault here..but shouldn't your TA have checked your first and final bill?

Isn't that "part" of the purpose of a TA. (earning their commission)?

I don't use a TA but I assume they take on that responsibility.

Why do you see nothing wrong with that?

All was fine when documents came back without a problem in the past.

We don't know the background...problems NCL has had in the past with this TA? Just a thought.

As I have said repeatedly, I DO place some of the blame on myself and on my TA. We both should have checked the bills and found the error before the final payment. We didn't and now we have to deal with what comes.

In somewhat of a defense of the TA, I will tell you that her elderly husband was in the hospital earlier this year with life threatening problems and she spent many hours there. (I am happy to report that he is home now and doing fine!) In spite of her personal problems, she still maintained contact with us and helped us with questions, etc. My parents have use this agency and this particular travel agent for many years and she has ALWAYS gone out her way to make the trip great. (not only on NCL, but other lines and other travel trips for them.) You can talk until you are blue in the face;) :rolleyes: (lol) and I will not place all the blame on the TA...again I place most of the blame on myself and especially NCL. (if they hadn't changed the cabins, none of this would matter....)

As far as the background of the agency with NCL, we don't know all that has happened in the past, but there is no way that our situation alone has caused them to all but stop selling NCL. They had 6 or 7 summer Alaska group cruises on NCL both last summer and this summer and they are the only agency in town that had been advertizing NCL cruises in the local major city newspaper. All of that has now stopped...no ads for NCL in the Dispatch for the last two weeks (since two weeks after they told me they were stopping their selling of NCL). I have been seeing NCL ads from this agency for at least the last four years. All the NCL posters are now gone from their office. To me, this tells me that something went wrong.

And, why deceive NCL (on the part of the TA) & put them on speaker phone while the customer was there?

Why not advise NCL that the customer was there listening to the conversation??

That was my and my father's idea. We asked that we not be recognized, we wanted to see if NCL treatment of TA's was any different than the treatment extended to customers. May have been deceptive on our part, but we have been told so many falsehoods by NCL over the years, it didn't bother us.

I have a problem with deceit/lies and would NOT tolerate that being done to me or for me!

and I have a problem with all the lies that NCL has told us over the years including the ones they are still telling.

I have always dealt directly with NCL (5 cruises/2 years) no problem.

I would be upset, as you are, with the cabins being moved around but...make sure you are accusing the right person.

I do believe that if I was using a TA, that TA should have caught the change/error.

And, the TA should correct it - at their expense!

We have always been told that because we have a TA, all communication about our cruise and between us and NCL must go through them. We did not use a TA on our first cruise in 2002 and dealt with NCL on our own. That wasn't good and we swore to only use a TA in the future.

I believe that if NCL wants to fix this problem, they will contact the TA and straighten it out. I know she has made numerous calls to them about it.

As far as financial compensation by the TA, I'm not sure that is possible in this situation. NCL is maintaining that no adjoining cabins in any catagory equal to or above ours are available. As long as NCL has this attitude there is no way to solve this problem. (it is not the money, it is the connecting rooms)

I have always gotten a response from customer service and C. Veitch BUT..as stated...I deal direct with NCL!

:)

We will see if Mr. Veitch responds to my letter. Three weeks and nothing yet! Thanks again for not attacking me.

Personally I think NCL should move those now in your room out..... They had no problem moving you guys.... They should call those other cruisers and tell them a mistake was moved, your new room is________...... Unbelieveable that they did this.... I also learned that I will double check my bills/itineraries more closely before final payment..... What a shame.....

I have always booked my cruises with my TA. I have also called NCL to make inquiries and they have always responded in kind. I have never attempted to change my reservation and maybe therein lies the difference.

I had a difficult time with NCL when I tried to change travel agents. I booked a cruise through a TA, then she left the business. I told NCL on board NOT to give credit to the original booking TA for my on-board booking. He assured me they would not. (I wanted to assign a different TA.)

It took multiple letters, phone calls, faxes, etc. before NCL finally gave the booking to my new TA. Other than that, I have had very good experiences with NCL talking with me despite having a TA.

I think what happened to you is so unfortunate and it's good to see that you accept some of the responsibility. Who's to say that even if you HAD spotted the mistake that it could have been fixed. It's just a shame for you. I hope it all works out ok though.

KeystoneCruiser ~

Thanks for the informative/concise response.

One last thought - I don't know your sailing date BUT...can't the displaced parties from the displaced cabins be moved to a Garden Villa?

If one is available, I can't see why that couldn't happen.

And, the young ones would all be together.

They'd have a great time.

Worth a shot!

Hope it all works out and you can post a happy ending to this thread and your cruise:)

Cosmo: I too find your posts informative and interesting and I do not feel attacked by your post. It is simply suggestions and questions and it is a refreshing change on here lately!:) Let me respond to some of your items.

As I have said repeatedly, I DO place some of the blame on myself and on my TA. We both should have checked the bills and found the error before the final payment. We didn't and now we have to deal with what comes.

In somewhat of a defense of the TA, I will tell you that her elderly husband was in the hospital earlier this year with life threatening problems and she spent many hours there. (I am happy to report that he is home now and doing fine!) In spite of her personal problems, she still maintained contact with us and helped us with questions, etc. My parents have use this agency and this particular travel agent for many years and she has ALWAYS gone out her way to make the trip great. (not only on NCL, but other lines and other travel trips for them.) You can talk until you are blue in the face;) :rolleyes: (lol) and I will not place all the blame on the TA...again I place most of the blame on myself and especially NCL. (if they hadn't changed the cabins, none of this would matter....)

As far as the background of the agency with NCL, we don't know all that has happened in the past, but there is no way that our situation alone has caused them to all but stop selling NCL. They had 6 or 7 summer Alaska group cruises on NCL both last summer and this summer and they are the only agency in town that had been advertizing NCL cruises in the local major city newspaper. All of that has now stopped...no ads for NCL in the Dispatch for the last two weeks (since two weeks after they told me they were stopping their selling of NCL). I have been seeing NCL ads from this agency for at least the last four years. All the NCL posters are now gone from their office. To me, this tells me that something went wrong.

That was my and my father's idea. We asked that we not be recognized, we wanted to see if NCL treatment of TA's was any different than the treatment extended to customers. May have been deceptive on our part, but we have been told so many falsehoods by NCL over the years, it didn't bother us.

and I have a problem with all the lies that NCL has told us over the years including the ones they are still telling.

We have always been told that because we have a TA, all communication about our cruise and between us and NCL must go through them. We did not use a TA on our first cruise in 2002 and dealt with NCL on our own. That wasn't good and we swore to only use a TA in the future.

I believe that if NCL wants to fix this problem, they will contact the TA and straighten it out. I know she has made numerous calls to them about it.

As far as financial compensation by the TA, I'm not sure that is possible in this situation. NCL is maintaining that no adjoining cabins in any catagory equal to or above ours are available. As long as NCL has this attitude there is no way to solve this problem. (it is not the money, it is the connecting rooms)

We will see if Mr. Veitch responds to my letter. Three weeks and nothing yet! Thanks again for not attacking me.

I know a TA that doesn't promote NCL anymore. If you want to book NCL he'll book it but he doesn't promote them anymore.

He contends that NCL has a good product but their shoreside people are too hard to deal with.

Bill

KeystoneCruiser ~

One last thought - I don't know your sailing date BUT...can't the displaced parties from the displaced cabins be moved to a Garden Villa?

If one is available, I can't see why that couldn't happen.

And, the young ones would all be together.

They'd have a great time.

Worth a shot!

Hope it all works out and you can post a happy ending to this thread and your cruise:)

Cosmo: Already checked, the Garden Villa is not available. (now that would be a lot more than I was thinking about paying to solve this problem) (Ours is the June 17 sailing, btw)

What I did find is an AB with a connecting AF (actually two pairs). These show open and those are the ones that I have considered trying to move to. I put a call into my TA this afternoon about asking one more time. (the last time we asked NCL said they were no longer available, but that was 3 weeks ago and two of the 3 are still showing up on NCL's website.) Like I said, I would be willing to pay a little to upgrade to that. (perhaps a three way split of the price difference??)

Hopefully, I will have good news at some point to report. Thanks again!!

I know a TA that doesn't promote NCL anymore. If you want to book NCL he'll book it but he doesn't promote them anymore.

He contends that NCL has a good product but their shoreside people are too hard to deal with.

Bill

Bill, those are almost the exact same words that my TA used to describe NCL!

Already checked, the Garden Villa is not available. (now that would be a lot more than I was thinking about paying to solve this problem)!

In case you have never actually priced the Garden Villa, only the first two guests pay the book rate. The others travel for meals, tips and taxes. On an eight day Mexican cruise (six adults and one baby) the fare is $22,044. $3,674 p/person not including the baby, $3,149 p/p if the baby is calculated as a fare. This is less than the rack rate for a low end suite.

On the Mexico and Alaska cruises the first two are often under $10,000 p/p until one Garden Villa is booked, when the other side jumps to $13,000-$14,000 ea. for the first two. The additional guests still pay +/-$400 ea.

The center wall of the living room opens up and you could create a five or six bedroom suite (at higher fare) if your party is bigger. It's totally isolated from the ship when you want it to be, and right in the center of the activity, when you don't.

Cosmo: Already checked, the Garden Villa is not available. (now that would be a lot more than I was thinking about paying to solve this problem) (Ours is the June 17 sailing, btw)

What I did find is an AB with a connecting AF (actually two pairs). These show open and those are the ones that I have considered trying to move to. I put a call into my TA this afternoon about asking one more time. (the last time we asked NCL said they were no longer available, but that was 3 weeks ago and two of the 3 are still showing up on NCL's website.) Like I said, I would be willing to pay a little to upgrade to that. (perhaps a three way split of the price difference??)

Hopefully, I will have good news at some point to report. Thanks again!!

Keystone..

copy and paste what you see...then ...

fax (scan) it to ncl...I did this before...it worked!

Fax/scan it while you are on the phone with NCL.

Because of the computer system...once you are in the category on-line the rep cannot see it.. (I'm sure you know this)

because it is removed from inventory as someone else (even you) is viewing it.

I'll keep checking the 6/17 sailing for you.

Hey..you should NOT have to pay for an upgrade at this point!!

Good luck.

I feel so bad for you!

It will work out...

I will check the availability for your cruise.daily;)

AND...call if I have to:)

Keystone- you seem to think that NCL is trying to deceive you about the availability of suites but there may be another explanation. I booked my AB suite a few weeks ago, which may have been when you noted that the AB suites were "mysteriously " disappearing. I had put one on hold through NCL and then also put one on hold through an online TA (trying to get the best price)- perhaps this is why they mysteriously disappeared and not an NCL conspiracy to hide them from you!!!

I booked the suite through the TA (who told me I got the last one as she did not know I had one on hold through NCL) and noted shortly after that the one I had on hold with NCL showed up on their website but is now gone again. This ability to briefly hold a cabin is probably why you see availability fluctuate- also, according to some of the online booking sites there are NO AB cabins left for that sailing but NCL website shows 1 left (with an adjoining AF available). I have been watching this availability regularly to see if there are any price drops so I know that, contrary to what you are saying, there hads been only 1 AB showing up on the NCL website (11010) over the past week and there were NOT 2 yesterday or any time in the past week or 2.. It is still available so why not ask to pay the difference or some of the difference and move up. The price difference from what you are upgrading from is quite a lot though!

Cosmo: Thanks for being a positive influence on these boards.

Chris: I certainly would not want to bump you!! No one should be bumped and that is what started this whole mess. I can probably guess what cabin you are in because it is the one that went off the website availability list about 3-4 weeks ago. It is not the one we are talking about.

I check the cabins pretty regularly but usually not at the same time as my TA does. She did call NCL on Friday and asked again about a possible move. She told them that the connecting cabins were still showing available on their website. Now for the kicker: this time the NCL rep told her that the website is usually 3-4 days behind and is probably not updated so the cabins are not available. This is almost getting comical..........

Cosmo: Thanks for being a positive influence on these boards.

Chris: I certainly would not want to bump you!! No one should be bumped and that is what started this whole mess. I can probably guess what cabin you are in because it is the one that went off the website availability list about 3-4 weeks ago. It is not the one we are talking about.

I check the cabins pretty regularly but usually not at the same time as my TA does. She did call NCL on Friday and asked again about a possible move. She told them that the connecting cabins were still showing available on their website. Now for the kicker: this time the NCL rep told her that the website is usually 3-4 days behind and is probably not updated so the cabins are not available. This is almost getting comical..........

You can't make this stuff up ;)

3 or 4 days behind :eek:

I have been online and watched my cabin leave inventory right after I booked it. Both engines work off the same database.

I learned the hard way when an aft cabin opened online. Called they said sorry nothing available:rolleyes: I checked again it was gone. Later it was there, I called same answer. Finally when it showed up again I just booked it and then called. Had them move my original booking to the new cabin and cancel the new booking.

What I learned back then was ever time anyone clicks on a cabin on the web it leaves inventory for 15 to 20 minutes.

You can't make this stuff up ;)

3 or 4 days behind :eek:

I have been online and watched my cabin leave inventory right after I booked it. Both engines work off the same database.

What I learned back then was ever time anyone clicks on a cabin on the web it leaves inventory for 15 to 20 minutes.

I really do not understand the mis-information.......3 or 4 days behind is absurd:rolleyes:

When a specific cabin is clicked on in the system it has to go out of inventory. The main reason is that it is being "worked on" by you or the res agent....names etc. being entered. Can anyone imagine if it were not? It would be chaos.

I have seen the same thing Jim, if cabins are changed for some reason or canceled, it is pretty much instantaneous in the site.

Archived