What's your opinion on room service?

Just wondered what everyone thought of room service? Is it any good? What's your favorite thing to order? Anything different for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks than what is offered at Windjammer or the main dining area? Thanks in advance!:)

We have always just ordered coffee and some fruit and rolls in the morning. We like to do a early morning breakfast on the balcony to start our day watching the water and breathing in that fresh sea air. God life is good on the sea... Can't wait till August!!!

We always order coffee in the morning it serves as our wake up call. We'll also order breakfast most mornings as we usually eat less than we would if we went to the Windjammer. I've never ordered lunch or dinner from room service.

It's pretty slow (45 minutes to an hour) and of the 4 times we ordered it, there was always something wrong with the order...we ate it anyways though, not wanting to wait another hour. One time it was food for my DH and hot tea for my very sore throat...well they brought tea bags and milk and sugar, but no hot water!!!

If you place the breakfast order form out the night before, it will arrive on time..we did this twice so that we could enjoy breakfast on our balcony...both times we got someone else's order but both times it was really good, so who's complaining!

Overall the food is quite good...usually still warm...we did breakfast and snacks at night as we had the early dinner seating.

Don't forget to tip your room service attendant!!!!

Angelgirl18 what ship was so bad for your room service?:( When we put our menu out the night before on the Vision it was there at the right time every morning.

Same with the Celebrity Infinity. Now the Monarch I have to say was slow and did screw up a couple times. I do agree though always tip they really do work hard.

I love the cookies room service brings...the other stuff is fine...never had too much experience (usually don't get back to the room in time to put out the breakfast request), but my parents do the breakfast thing on the balcony and they love it...

At dinner, you can order almost anything on the dining room menu during dinner hours. The nightly menu is on your interactive TV. This is in addition to all items listed on the room service menu. There is a very good cheese plate. Comes with some fruit and soda crackers. If I'm going to have it as a snack, I go up to the Windjammer and get some crusty bread to go with the cheese. Seems it usually takes about 30 minutes on most ships.

Room service has always been slow for us! We would put the card on the door the night before and on two different ships (Mariner and Sovereign) it came 45 minutes late. We had to be off the ship early for an excursion, so we had to go to the Windjammer and eat before breakfast came to the room, so we could leave on time. The food is good, but the service is slow!

We Ordered Room Service The Night Before For Breakfast And It Came Promptly At The Time We Requested And With The Phone Call To Let Us Know It's On It's Way. No Complaint's Here.

We ordered room service most mornings. Eggs Benedict isn't on the menu but I asked for it and got it. My son wanted a mango and had a whole mango delivered. The menu asks for a range of time for it to be delivered (7:00-7:30, 7:30-8:00) - it was always delivered at the end of the time range for us. My mother had hers delivered right at the early time she asked for but her stateroom was on the same deck as the dining room (possibly easier to deliver nearby). If you don't specify the number of items you want they will bring you more than one - so make sure you put the number down unless you're starving!:eek: I thought the coffee in the Windjammer was better than room service coffee.

On our Serenade cruise we would put our card out the night before.... about 5 minutes before it arrived they would call and say " Room service is on its way" which was great for putting on the robe and getting tip ready.

We would have our coffee, juice and danish/pastries/breads on the balcony and check out the new port we were in every morning in our robes all nice and relaxed. Then we would get dressed and go go go !

Never was late and was always right. It was heaven.

I agree with consensus that when putting out the card for breakfast, they do just fine. Foods come respectably warm to hot...I've never gotten a hot dish which was cold. Breakfasts can be convenient on in-port days, when I am waking up a little earlier and want to get breakfast before showering, changing, and walking up to Windjammer. On sea days, I sleep in so it doesn't matter as much, and I usually go to Windjammer.

As for regular call service - depending on the time of day, they can sometimes be a little longer - I would say the most I've waited after calling was around 40 minutes...the least was 5-10. As long as you keep that possibility in mind, you won't be disappointed. Besides...it's free, so I can't justify complaining!

I've never done dinner by room service - 90% of the time I use the main dining room, 5% Windjammer, 2.5% alternative on-board restaurants, and 2.5% eat on land at a port.

I do use it for lunch 1-2 times per cruise though...I always enjoy on an at-sea day, heading back to the room around 1:30pm, order a club sandwich (some ships room service is the only place to get a club sandwich...and every ship I've been on has done a pretty tasty club!), sit out on the balcony, and read a book with my sandwich and iced tea It's a nice, quiet, private retreat. Afterwards, I head back out to the rest of the ship to take part in the social stuff again.

Room service has been above average on all the ships I've been on, and considering it's free, that's pretty good!

I've never used it for breakfast. I'm just not a "breakfast person". :)

But I LOVE room service for an afternoon snack, a late night snack, a middle of the night snack. I have waited for quite a while late at night on an overfull holiday sailing with lots of kids, but other than that, it has come within 30 minutes, sometimes within 10. As I can recall, all orders have been correct, with the possibility that once or twice they brought MORE than we ordered.

My DW and I utilize room service for breakfast and sometimes dinner. We start our day with coffee for my DW and tea for me. Then we will order breakfast, and it's delivered within 20 to 40 minutes, and the person taking our order is never off by more than 5 minutes.

We enjoy dinner in our cabin and will order off of the dinner menu at least twice on a 7 day cruise, more on longer cruises. The meals always come hot, and if we want, we can order in courses.

I do tip a nominal amount each time we have room service deliver anything, including ice.

Rick

Breakfast on the Serenade was my wife's favorite part of the cruise.

French toast and OJ on the balcony .... avoided the "toxic" coffee however. Always right on time and they called 2 - 3 minutes prior to arrival. Never a problem, but tell them everything you want, including the usual condiments etc.

I remember on our first cruise on the Grandeur, we only did room service once, and that was because we came in between regular meals and we were soaked from the rain in Key West.

We ordered some sandwiches and they brought up a nice order of two turkey sandwiches, chips, and a pitcher of lemonade with lemon slices and also four really big cookies. They were quick - it took them ten minutes to get it there.

I gave the guy a five spot in appreciation for a job well done!

Our wake up call was a knock on the door with food! We did this every morning and he set it up on our balcony it was nice to eat out in the sun every morning. We only made it to the main eating area on the last day only because we were soo tired we didn't know when we wanted to wake up and eat!

DH is a huge late night snacker, he loved it that he could order a dessert with milk every night or a meal.....

I just loved room service on the ship.. especially that part that you do not have to sign a $30 for breakfast delivery!

We always order room service the night before by putting out the card on the door. It has always been good.

We always get a call 5 or 10 minutes before so we have time to get up.

One trick we have done is to write on the card asking for real cream for our coffee (instead of that non -dairy stuff!!)-and we have always received it.

Lawman,

Thanks for writing that. We are doing our first RCI cruise, I like to order coffee in the morning but do not want to schedule the time I get up. Something about being on vacation. Our normal schedule due to our jobs is getting up between 3-5 AM.

I like to pretend I might sleep in. So I really would prefer to call but not have to wait an hour for coffee. Although since RCI does offer a hot breakfast we may be dinning and planning on that in the room.

Just off Mariner 4/2 and we ordered room service almost every morning. If nothing but a pot of coffee and pastries, they would call and say they were on their way and be there within 10 minutes. Great wake up call! We also would order a burger and tuna wrap at night when the kids came in from the kids club. Don't forget the cheese tray in the afternoon with wine while getting dressed for dinner...... Very nice :-)

Archived