have you ever lost weight on a cruise?

bonsat

just returned from the 4/16 to 4/23 jewel cruise.

the ship is gorgeous. the service, as always, is superb. the entertainment was fabulous. we had perfect weather--85 degrees every day with a cooling breeze and not a cloud in the sky.

THE FOOD WAS AWFUL!!!!!!!

we sailed three times on the dawn once on spirit and loved the food. thought it was better than celebrity. we looked forward to macadamia crusted prawns, oysters rockefeller, filet mignon, jerked pork, blintzes for breakfast, president's night, veal and chicken parmesan and the midnight buffet.

THEY ARE ALL GONE!!!!!!!

the maitre d' told us that without any warning, about two months ago, ncl headquarters in miami changed the menu. even the chef was shocked. they now give you junior sized portions of tasteless, or over salted or dried out food. I know i can ask for as much as i want, but i don't like to ask. and i shouldn't have to.

we had come to count on a snack at the blue lagoon which was always open 24 hours a day. now it is only open when all other restaurants are closed.

i know i can spend some extra money and go to a specialty restaurant, but on monday morning i was told thatfor the entire rest of the week the only times they could accommodate us at teppanyaki, tango, mama's etc. was at 5 pm or 9:30. one is way too early, one far too late. so much for freestyle dining which is the main reason we sail with ncl.

we were so disappointed. i guess our next cruise will be on another line.

Must just be on the Jewel. I was on the Star last month and the Blue Lagoon was open for breakfast in the morning until well after midnight. I didn't check the exact times, I just know that I could get food there anytime, even during the ship dining hours. Strange that this is happening on the Jewel.

I frequently lose weight on cruises, but that is because my activity level is higher on vacation that when I am working. I actual walk, instead of just thinking about walking; I climb the stairs; I swim and snorkel.

I am just off the majesty where the food was very good. Some of the menu choices seem odd, but still good. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. The portions are much smaller than on past cruises, but that allowed me to enjoy all the courses, without feeling so stuffed.

I just got back from a 10 dayer and me and my husband lost weight :) :) But we ran after an 18 month old from one end of the ship to the other!!! :)

I have been on a ton of cruises and never gained but I also made sure I got to the gym everyday!

I do not gain weight on a cruise because we seem to be walking all of the time. Actually we do get our cabins in the aft, this makes it a long walk no matter where we want to go.

That makes it possible to eat and not worry:p

I have lost weight on my last two cruises. The one in Sept was out of Galveston on the Carnival Conquest and the last one was the NSL Spirit. I too believe it was due to the increased activities as the food was exceptional in both cases - too good! I don't go the the extra expense of paying for a restaurant as I beleive I have already paid for it once.

(By way of background, this was our fifth cruise, first on NCL. One on Cunard QE2, three on Princess. We are located in the NY metro area so we enjoy access to excellent restaurants on a regular basis. I also cook so factor this in when reading my opinion).

Just off the Dawn 4/16/06 -- all four of us lost weight. Portions were tiny but that was okay since the food was downright lousy. mean really, Beef Stroganoff on a cruise menu??. I'd compare the food to a one star establishment - - probably not worth the trip.

Lobster and chicken was incredibly tough, hamburgers were primarily cheap fill, strip steak disproportionally fatty. Ate in Cagneys and was not impressed (3 large (not exta large or colossal) shrimp in a shimp cocktail?). Shrimp cocktails in other restaurants were served as a small bowl of salad shrimp -- horrible. Salsa's ran out of mozzerella sticks, corn chips and frozen strawberry margaritas 6th night into a 10 night cruise. They actually were using chinese noodles in Salsa's as chips for gaucamole!! Fajitas were tasty though and chilled soups were good. Italian Restaurant okay but very limited menu (chicken parm was better than the one in the dining room). Pasta dishes completely uninspired -- I do better in my own kitchen on any day of the week. Apps and salads bored me to tears ("Melon balls with mint and Midori liquor" were really just melon balls, Beef Consomme, Cream of Cauliflower, assorted fruit plate - boring! Not one exotic fruit). Creme Brulee was excellent; other desserts were left on the plate after one bite as they were not worth the calories to me. Very strange to me was the unavailability of fruit other than the tiny fruit plate available at meals and the cut up mess in the buffet. Princess and Cunard always provided us with large bowls of fruit in our staterooms each day (and we were in minimalist accomodations-not Grill Rooms) and whole fruit was always available in all venues. I was really looking forward to some delicious fruit and none was to be had. Couldn't understand the fuss over the "Chocoholic Buffet" -- chocolate was almost undetectable in most pastries and then, of low quality. Breakfast and lunches were monotonous and not worth mentioning. Blue Lagoon was good - liked the Wonton soup, Fish and Chips (although it was mostly breading) and Buffalo Wings.

Did we starve, NO.

Did we enjoy the food, NO.

Just my opinion.

I lost weight on a Princess Cruise. The food for breakfast and lunch were horrible. Dinner was the only meal that was good.

I don't worry about food. I will survive. Besides, I work so hard to keep my weight down, I don't want fabulous food because I will surely overeat and then need to work extra hard to get the weight off.

My guess is the new portion sizes are probably accurate to what we should be eating anyhow. Food portion sizes have gotten so out of control in this country.

Actually I have lost or maintained my weight on almost all cruises cause I do walk more and maybe even eat less as the portions are smaller than I serv e at home. This to me is good, not bad. If you don't like the size of the entrees or whatever ask for seconds but don't gripe cause you didn't think they gave you enough. DH will have 2 entrees at least once on all cruises. It amazes me how subjective food is. WE did not find the food on the Sun last week anthing like Patti found the food on the Dawn. BTW, I am a thought of as a great cook, use spices and sauses yet found the food to be interesting and exciting much of the time. (not all by anymeans) NMNita

hi joanne,

the cruise was not a flop. we had a great time, in fact. it's just that you get all psyched up and talk about how you're going to order macadamia-crusted prawns on the second night and then they are not offered and it's disappointing. sorry you were not on the cruise. i would love to finally meet you!

BONNIE

Hi Bonnie

Glad you had a great time on the Jewel. I know what you mean about the food. We had a real blast on our Dawn cruise Feb 23, but the food could not compare to when we were on the Dawn with you. A lot of things do change. It was much better than my Oct cruise though. Maybe that is a good sign. Say hi to Arnie.

Marie

We were on the Jewel in February and on the Majesty twice before this. I think the Jewel is a beautiful ship and we had a good time. But, and probably no one will agree with me, I was not especially impressed with the food. I thought the food on the Majesty was better.

just returned from the 4/16 to 4/23 jewel cruise.

the ship is gorgeous. the service, as always, is superb. the entertainment was fabulous. we had perfect weather--85 degrees every day with a cooling breeze and not a cloud in the sky.

THE FOOD WAS AWFUL!!!!!!!

we sailed three times on the dawn once on spirit and loved the food. thought it was better than celebrity. we looked forward to macadamia crusted prawns, oysters rockefeller, filet mignon, jerked pork, blintzes for breakfast, president's night, veal and chicken parmesan and the midnight buffet.

THEY ARE ALL GONE!!!!!!!

the maitre d' told us that without any warning, about two months ago, ncl headquarters in miami changed the menu. even the chef was shocked. they now give you junior sized portions of tasteless, or over salted or dried out food. I know i can ask for as much as i want, but i don't like to ask. and i shouldn't have to.

we had come to count on a snack at the blue lagoon which was always open 24 hours a day. now it is only open when all other restaurants are closed.

i know i can spend some extra money and go to a specialty restaurant, but on monday morning i was told thatfor the entire rest of the week the only times they could accommodate us at teppanyaki, tango, mama's etc. was at 5 pm or 9:30. one is way too early, one far too late. so much for freestyle dining which is the main reason we sail with ncl.

we were so disappointed. i guess our next cruise will be on another line.

they must transfer chef' from spirit to Jewel:D Sounds like our food in Dec cruise))))

Archived