A lesson learned

RhondaPerr

Hi,

I think I need to share what happened to me on an excursion even at the risk of being attacked. Several years ago while on the Century I went on the most incredible dolphin swim, so I decided to do it again while cruising on the millennium.

I was not happy from the moment the excursion started. First nowhere in the description was there mention of a 50 minute boat ride.. second no mention of what we needed to bring with us. There was no place to change and nowhere safe to keep your belongings. I have never seen an excursion as disorganized as this one was.

We got to Anguilla via boat and bus ride,and were handed a schedule with no explanations. Some of the events on the schedule had already expired because we were late getting there.

Finally our group was called to the pool. I was a little alarmed at the fact that it was on the small side, there were two large groups on either end of the pool. (so different than Mexico) Long story short, the Dolphin swam by so we could pet it while others got their dolphin kiss, and I was hit in the ankle by the Fluke.

I didn't want to ruin it for anyone else, so even though you can clearly see on the dvd that I was in agony, I endured till the end. Later I went to a trainer, explained what had happened and asked for ice. What became clear to me was that they were not prepared for emergencies. Later I found out that the trained had never reported the accident.

We had lunch, and then had to wait almost 1 hour and a half before the bus returned. When we got back to ST Maartin there was no time to shop before the shops closed....Maybe an hour at the most.

When we got back to the ship we went to dinner, and then I could not stand the pain anymore, so I went back to the cabin and my cabin steward brought me ice, and there I stayed. The next day I reported the injury, and was told the Shore Excursion manager would be calling me. He called almost 7 hours later. He told me they would not pay for the doctor, but I could get reimbursed by my insurance company. I had filled out a whole long form and had requested a doctor.

The next morning I received a letter from the shore exc. manager saying that they were very sorry for what happened to me and gave me a $30 credit on my account. Me being the gracious person I am, went down to the desk to thank him...he was on the phone so I hobbled over to another desk, and then as I was on my way back to his office he came back. He took one look at my foot and apologized over and over again.

He admitted to me that he had no idea how serious the injury really was and that he would take me to the doctor himself. By this time I had decided I just wanted to see my own doctor at home. He kept on apologizing and admitted that he did not believe how serious the injury could be. He fell over himself to help me. We talked about my concerns about the excursion and he told me that this was a fairly new excursion, and I was the first injury.

He offered any help possible for debarkation, and anything else he could do. I am in an air Cast and on crutches for a minimum of 2 weeks. There is tissue damage and severe swelling. I had to miss a day of work because my arms could not support me another day on crutches. I am on pain meds, me who never takes anything stronger than tylenol.

I still had a great time on my cruise!!!

Please be careful on your excursions.

Rhonda ~ I'm sorry to hear about your injury and would certainly anticipate that no one here will attack you for telling your story. It's an important reminder to carefully check excursion details. Many times, passengers don't even think about what could happen should they need emergency care while on an excursion. By your sharing your experience, it will hopefully enlighten others to look closely at excursion descriptions and ask questions before booking. Things can and do happen on shore excursions. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Hope your foot heals soon.

I think I need to share what happened to me on an excursion even at the risk of being attacked...

I think it's sad that you even have to "feel" like this might happen although I certainly understand after reading posts here for a while.

Although it would have been nice for the officer to help you earlier on, I am encouraged to know that he tried to help after understanding the severity of the accident. I'm also glad that you had a good cruise regardless of the bad excursion.

I've always wanted to try the dolphin thing. I think I will be a little less encouraged to do so after reading your account.

Tom

Hey, I sure agree with Tom, too bad you had to think we may yell at you for this, it obviously was a terrible excursion.

The more we cruise the more we are starting to do things on our own. At first I thought people who did this were just asking for problems but after reading a few stories just like yours I'm not so sure.

We booked something last year and never read anywhere we would be on a rickety old school bus for 45 minutes to get to the FIRST transfer point. Nothing like an old bouncing bus an overactive bladder and no bathroom.

I'm sorry for your trouble, I hope your problems and follow up will help others avoid this same bad experience.

Thank you for your post.

I also had a bad experience on a ship shore excursion and the entire group of us complained.

We assume that because we are going on something that the cruise line has given the okay for that it has been checked out and is safe. I know that the excursion desk is not part of the cruise line but in some cases they don't have detailed information from the local tour companies they hire.

Your experience will help others be more aware and your upbeat attitude is admirable.

Be well and heal quickly.

Rhonda, I'm very sorry that you had such a poor excursion and also that you are still suffering for it now. We had an excellent dolphin swim experience in Mexico last year so can imagine how you feel.

If it were me, I would be doing a snail mail letter to Celebrity explaining your experience and what happened to you, if for no other reason than letting them know that they may have customer satisfaction issues with this particular company. If you word your letter in the same non-threatening and constructive way as you have posted here, I'm sure they will take note.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Phil

Rhonda,

Sorry you had a bad experience with your excursion. It's a lesson well learned for all of us. We did the Dolphin swim in Nassau and it can be a very interesting show. Did your travel insurance reimburse you for your medical expenses? I certainly hope so! :D

Rhonda,

Sorry you had a bad experience with your excursion. It's a lesson well learned for all of us. We did the Dolphin swim in Nassau and it can be a very interesting show. Did your travel insurance reimburse you for your medical expenses? I certainly hope so! :D

Hi,

Not as yet...the expenses are still being incurred. I will know better after May 9th if I will need surgery, physical therapy or perhaps by that time a rubber room :) Whatever the treatment I need to be up and running for my next cruise in July :) I plan to only swim with rubbber duckies this time though :)

Hi,

Not as yet...the expenses are still being incurred. I will know better after May 9th if I will need surgery, physical therapy or perhaps by that time a rubber room :) Whatever the treatment I need to be up and running for my next cruise in July :) I plan to only swim with rubbber duckies this time though :)

Hello Rhonda

I saw you in the Metropolitan with what looked like a big air cast and crutches. It was obvious that you were in pain but until now I did not know what had caused this. It is a good thing that you had the insurance but it's a shame that this excursion was so ill prepared for any sort of problem. Anyway I hope that you heal soon and have no surgery. Keep smiling and next time stay away from Anguila Dolphin's I hear the Mexican ones are a lot less painful too :) LOL watch out for those rubber duckies too ;) Take Care

David & Cathy

I'm sorry that happened to you. That's such a shame. We did the dolphin thing in Puerto Vallarta about a week ago, and it was fantastic. I will be sure never to do the Anguilla one.

I hope that you heal quickly.

Thanks for your good wishes....I would do the dolphin swim again in Cozumel....that was a wonderful experience. My friend who was with me on this one bought the dvd....hmm I wonder why I have no desire to watch it :)

Rhonda, so sorry about your leg and hope you are feeling better

very soon.

No flames from me that is for sure.

I had gone on a tour in Puerta Vallarta back in October. Nobody got

hurt (thankfully)...it was not that type of tour.

But the tour company totally misrepresented themselves and it was

a new company that X was using. Well, I went and spoke to the

Head of Excursions upon returning to the ship. We had a very long

chat. I explained everything in the best way I could and he wrote

down many notes. (It was supposed to be a culinary excursion)

We got to the restaurant and the owner didn't even know we were

coming:(....it was about 90+ outside and there were about 30 of us.

Quite a few unhappy people......it was lunchtime..duh....no place to put us.

Bottom line was if I had known what was going to happen I would

never have booked this particular tour.

He was very gracious about it all and I ended up receiving a 25%

credit back from the price.

Again, so sorry you were injured!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Well the good news is I am off crutches..The bad news is I need physical therapy for the next 6 weeks, twice a week. Secretly I believe it is the rubber room I have been asking for, so I can just Bounce till my next cruise. :)

Thanks for all your concern :)

Rhonda

I'm happy to read that your experience :eek: is not going to deter you from cruising again. I think you have given all the readers a reason to reflect on just how fragile life is....

Best wishes for a complete recovery!

Ed

Archived