South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

It is day 2 for me and I am feeling a little hungry at times, but enjoying the food so far. Eating lots of celery and lite cream cheese etc. Vegetable stews and too many handfuls of nuts. I think I have the will power to hold out for 2 weeks. Went to decedent donuts with my 22 year old son and I didn't even have a nibble. Stolled Granville and Robson streets in Vancouver today and there are lots of temptations there. Just ate a salad(11:00pm) as I was feeling hungry.

My daughter (20) is doing the diet with me, so it makes it easier.

Shauna, I replied to your other thread about joining SouthBeachDiet.com. :)

PG, you are doing fantastic! Since you are still feeling hungry, you aren't eating enough. You should NEVER feel hungry on South Beach. I never have. When you feel hungry, eat a piece of low-fat cheese or eat a handful of peanuts. Stick with it and the pounds will melt off. ;)

Hi All,

I've been out of town for a bit - my son's been in the hospital with double pneumonia. He's out of the hospital now, but on strict "no activity" for the next couple of weeks. It was hard to leave him to come home, but he's staying with his dad and stepmom, so I know he's in good hands even if they're not mine.

I've done pretty well diet wise, I'm down 37 lbs as of yesterday (it will be 10 weeks on Monday). It's coming of slowly, but it's coming off!

Anyway, hope you all have a great weekend!

Goodness Jenny! How in the world have you lost 37 lbs in 10 weeks? That is super fast! Do you have a lot to lose or are you exercising like mad? ;) Gosh, I wish I could lose that fast.

I'm sorry to hear that your son has been sick. I hope he gets better soon. Poor kid...pneumonia is NOT fun.

I have about 160 more pounds to go. I lost the first 28 lbs in the first 3 weeks, and the rest has seemed painstakingly slow. I'm looking at it as a lifestyle change to be healthy, and trying to not focus too much on the weight loss portion of it. If I think too much about how far I need to go to reach my goal weight, I'd be too overwhelmed to do anything about it! So, this is just the way we eat now, and a nice by-product is the weight loss. It took me years to get here, it will take me years to get back...

Thank you for the kind thoughts!

Jenny, you have the right attitude! It took me 2 years to lose 50 lbs. I think it will take me at least 6 months to a year to lose the last 15 lbs. I am a VERY slow loser. You should be VERY proud of your accomplishment. :)

Thanks Shelia,

No problem on the raisins as they're not exactly my faves anyway. I just need something sweet in my cereal since I grew up on frosted flakes and poptarts for breakfast. I actually like Fiber One but have to have fruit, splenda and soy milk still.

I'm in a very good mood. Yesterday I was annoyed, ate at taco bell and didn't exercise and today I'm down 2 pounds. I'm not complaining but AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! :D So today I ate according to plan and exercised. I'll probably be up 3 in the morning.

I did start taking the chasteberry suppliment yesterday so it's possible it could be responsible if I was holding on to water weight. I've got to get some blank capsules or figure out some other way to take it. So far I've just put the 10 drops in half an ounce of water. It tastes very bad! I hope it works though.

Tami

Chasteberry is fruit of the chaste tree. It's used to manage PMS symptoms such as swelling, pain, irregular periods, headaches, irritablilty etc. It's also used heavily in Germany and other countries to treat luteal phase defect. I take daily in extract form but I'm going to have to look for pills because it tastes really bad! :eek:

What I really need TODAY is an herb that makes brothers and sisters get along. I've been up less than an hour and I'm already sick of playing referee! :mad: I hope the weather clears up soon because they're going outside.

Tami

PGcruiser

Isn't it amazing. Mine are 25/29 now and if you told me 10 years ago that they would live together for 2 years (2001-2003) and team teach (this summer) together I would have asked what kind of "funny" stuff you were smoking. It is a good thing they learned to get along as we lost both my hubby and mother in the past year.

Marvholly,

Sorry to hear about your Mom and Hubby. Life is way too short and I couldn't imagine doing without either of those 2 people. To to get in as many cruises together as possible.

I am glad that my kids now enjoy each others company. Someday they will need that.

It's nice to know that they do get through it. My next in line sister is 12 years younger than me and my baby brother is 17 years younger. I moved out to live with my grandparents when I was 14 so I never really lived with any of them past the baby stage. DH is the same way because by the time he was old enough to remember his sisters were moving out and getting married.

Actually I really can't complain too much because my 3 get along pretty well. However, they're active kids and it's been raining the past couple of days. They NEEDED to get outside. My son takes pleasure in making his little sister freak out but then she's high strung so it doesn't take much. Some days I can ignore it and some days it really sets me on edge. One of these days she's going to have enough and pop him one. I'll have to punish her but I'll be laughing on the inside. :D

Tami

Hi all

I new to south beach diet and had a few questions. I lost about 10 pounds on ww a few years ago. I still had to loose 10 more.

But I'm afraid to try a new diet.

If I loose the 10 pounds in the first phase, did I get directly to third?

Why if I start eating carbs again did I gain more weight?

Which is better weight or SBD?

Need help please

Hi NOA! My suggestion to you is to try Phase 1. Unless you have a lot of weight to lose, you will NOT lose 10 lbs. You will likely lose between 3-8 lbs. This is from experience. After the 14-day Phase 1, move on to Phase 2 slowly by adding back just one good carb a day. After you lose all the weight you need to lose, then move on to Phase 3.

I lost 40 lbs doing something like Weight Watchers where I counted fat grams and calories. I have lost 15 lbs so far on South Beach. The difference that I've experience between the two are that on Weight Watchers when I cheated, I didn't gain the weight back as fast. On South Beach when I cheat, I gain very easily. This could be due to my age...almost 40 OR my body gets used to the "good" carbs and when I eat a "bad" carb, it makes me gain twice the amount of weight. When I went on my cruise in 2002, I had lost 30 lbs doing Weight Watchers. I cheated and cheated and ate everything that I could while on the cruise. I didn't exercise, but did take the stairs. I gained only one pound. This year, after doing South Beach since January, I went on my cruise and ate same as I did on my previous cruise. I gained 5 lbs. This past weekend I cheated by eating a white bread hamburger buns instead of whole wheat AND three pieces of cake and ice cream (no, not at the same time ;) ). I've been very good Monday thru today (Thur) and I gained 2.5 lbs. It might be water weight, but I doubt it.

I am also new to South Beach and have a few questions.

1) Do I have to eat everything on the daily menus during the first phase in order to lose weight? I find that it is too much food for me over the course of the day. Does skipping some of the food upset the balance of the diet so that you lose less weight?

2) Can I substitute one food for another? For example, can I eat the same breakfast two times in one week if I like one better than another?

3) If I understood the previous post correctly, if you only have 15-20 lbs. to lose, you most likely won't lose the 8-13 lbs. during the first phase, as the book suggests?

Thanks to anyone who is willing to answer these questions. I would appreciate any other helpful hints you would care to offer.

Hi mad4cruising,

I recommend eating everything on the daily menus, but perhaps just reducing the portion size. The idea is to keep your blood sugar level even - no spikes or dips.

You can absolutely substitute one food for another. We (DH and I) found a few breakfasts that we enjoyed more than others and stuck with those rather than following the meal plans exactly. As you become more familiar with the diet (we've been on it for 10 weeks now), you'll be able to not worry so much about sticking to the suggested menus - as long as you stick with the daily recommendations (i.e. 1/2 cup of veggies in the morning, 2 cups at lunch and dinner, etc) you'll be fine.

As for not losing the 8 -13 lbs, my mom only lost 4 lbs (although I don't think she was as strict as we were) her first 2 weeks on the diet. We'd lost 20, but have a lot more weight to lose than she does.

Good luck!

I have lost 55 lbs over the last 6 years. I was dong what appears to be pretty close to South Beach. Just by chance and reading a lot of diet info over the years.

Now heres the problem....I lost 3 lbs the first four days....gained back 2 the next 4 days and I have not cheated once. I have not let a carb (good or bad) pass my lips. The funny thing is I have maintained my weight for the last 2 years without gaining... I am still down 1 lb and I am going to hang in on phase one for the second week. I still have 20lbs to reach a reasonable goal weight. I have also started training with small weights, using ab roller and walk each day.

I feel like I might be down around 5 lbs...its just not showing on the scale.

Any suggestions?

PGcruiser, you are probably adding muscle due to all of your exercising. And I'm sure you know muscle weighs more than fat. Did you happen to measure yourself when you started dieting? Also, are your clothes fitting looser?

Archived