South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Terri,

I had to laugh because I had a similiar situation with one of those "For Dummies" books this year. I have been on a mission to read and write short blurbs on all the homeschooling books I can find to post on our group's website. I picked up homeschooling for dummies at the library and was really grumbly about it because my theory is that if you think you're a dummy you probably shouldn't be homeschooling. ;) I mean, Have some confidence, really! However, it is the best nuts and bolts homeschooling book I've ever read and I reccommend it to all the new homeschoolers I talk to. :D Go figure!

I might have to look for the low carb one. If nothing else maybe I can use it to knock some sense into myself. :D

Tami

Welcome Teri!

Sheila - hide the scale, leave it at someone else's house, etc. I am a scaleaholic too, I know exactly what you mean. But it can be very detrimental - you have a loss and maybe think you are okay and can splurge, you don't lose and get depressed and still splurge. I speak from past experience. This time my scale is in the very top of my closet where I have to go and get the step stool from the utility room to get it down to weigh. so far I have not weighed myself since Mon am when I started.

pgcruiser - congrats on your weight loss!

Tami - your recipe sounds great - I can see I'm going to have to start jotting these recipes down.

Jenny - thanks for all the info on the Q/A - I'm still learning about this WOE so this really helps.

Kathy

Hi Sheila:

Do you have the link for the daily informative email that you can get from SB. I cannot find it.

Thanks

Sure! Go to the South Beach Diet web site, www.southbeachdiet.com, and fill out the "diet profile" section. It will take you to some information and a list of "freebies" because you actually have to pay to join the web site if you want to take full advantage of everything. Anyway, the free daily e-mail is called "The Daily Dish." Just check that you want to receive that one. I receive it at work and it shows up in my SPAM folder so watch out if you have a SPAM blocker.

Welcome, welcome, welcome Teri!!!! :D Great advice about the book. That is sooo funny! I work in the IT field so I see all kinds of "Dummies" books for software and programming languages, etc. I didn't know they had one for carbs.

Kathy, thanks for the advice about the scale. I have one of those scales though that if it is moved, you have to calibrate it again and it is a pain in the butt. DH weighs on it also so I can't remove it from the bathroom. However, I will physically restrain myself because the up and down thing is driving me nuts. I will weigh on Thursdays only and then measure on Saturday mornings. (I keep a measurement journal that has my "goal" inches and my actual inches for bust, waist, abs, and hips.) If I gain weight, but the inches are down, I'm happy. :)

All you Floridians do ok through the Hurricane yesterday?

I'm starting back with a vengence today! I'm still fighting the same 5 pounds I've been stuck on and I want them and 5 of their sisters gone by my birthday which is September 10!

Today's menu:

Egg white omlet with fresh spinach a mozzarella (check!)

Salad with turkey, roasted asparagus and ginger dressing

Grilled chicken breast, green beans, and baked sweet potato or

Chicken Fajitas with no shell or chips.

Snacks: Don't know: Have to make a grocery run.

Exercise: Walk a mile or 2 with the kids

I'll let you know tonight how I did.

Tami

Hey Tami et al....

You're meal plan sounds great, I will add the ideas to mine. I am stitting having a breakfast of 3 scrambled eggs and one tomato sliced and fried in no stick pan.

I am cooking up some hard boiled eggs for snacks over next couple of days and have chicken breasts in one pan and fish in another...cooking enough up for next few days as well. We also make a huge vegetable bake in the oven that lasts 3 days for snacking or meals. My 20 year old daughter and I are in this together which is a great help to both of us.

I love to hear the food ideas etc.

Thanks

Vicky & Rachael

Woohoo! :D I did pretty well today. Here's what I had planned:

Today's menu:

Egg white omlet with fresh spinach a mozzarella (check!)

Salad with turkey, roasted asparagus and ginger dressing

Grilled chicken breast, green beans, and baked sweet potato or

Chicken Fajitas with no shell or chips.

Snacks: Don't know: Have to make a grocery run.

Exercise: Walk a mile or 2 with the kids

Here's what I actually ate:

Got the omelet with spinach and mozz.

For lunch I had summer rolls which were crab, shrimp, lettuce, cucumber, avocado and bean sprouts inside rice paper with red pepper sauce. Sauce had lots of sugar but I didn't eat too much of it.

For dinner I had fajita chicken, guacamole, cheese, grilled onion and salsa. No chips, no tortilla. That's a biggie for me! :eek:

Snacks were a small piece of cheese, a few pecans, and a piece of russell stover sugar free chocolate. I bought some fresh ricotta so I'll have that for my night snack.

We also walked a mile this evening. I had planned to do 2 but I have a friend's kid for the evening and she's not used to the walks. Poor kid was sucking wind by a quarter mile and mad because mine kept running ahead. Maybe I should keep her more often. :p

Tami

Woohoo! I'm down 1 1/2 pounds this morning. Hopefully I can survive the party today without too much damage and get a good walk in tonight.

I know we're having ham at the party so that should be ok. I'm taking a spinach salad and an angelfood cake with peaches for dessert. Angelfood cake has some sugar but 1/12 of a cake is only 150 calories or less so I'll probably have a small slice of it. It's my favorite. Can't remember where peaches fall on SB butI sweetened them with splenda so they should be ok. Now I just have to stay away from the homemade bread and corn casserole and i'll be ok. ;) Must remind myself that I want to be in a smaller size by my birthday. Must remind myself of all the "new baby" pictures in our future. Must remind myself of the impending class reunion......

Tami

Hi everyone! Day 7 for me and I'm still here - that is good for me, usually I am starting to fall off by now.

Last night was my first real test- we went to meet some cc friends at Pappasitos - I had the mixed grill which was grilled chicken, beef, shrimp and vegs Kabob with salad - no rice, no beans, no chips, no margarita and no dessert. :( It was tough but I did it! and I am so proud of myself. :) I was afraid if I let myself slide even a little I would fall off being as I am so new at this WOE and still in phase 1.

I will do my offical weigh in tomorrow to end week 1 but I can already tell a small difference in the waistband of my clothes. 85 days until our cruise - I can't wait.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Kathy

I made it through the party! I skipped the mac and cheese and homemade bread and had my planned angelfood cake and a little bit of ice cream. I had more cake than planned but came home without the kiddos so the dog and I went for a walk. Instead of walking 2 miles I took advantage of no kids and walked 1/2 mile then decided to jog a bit on the way back. No specific distance in mind I just kept setting little goals and ended up running the whole half mile. :eek: :D Woohoo! It was slow and ugly and I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow but I was really happy. I think I'm going to have to find a 5K and set a training goal so I don't wait another month before I run again.

Tami

Good morning everyone! Well, I was bad this weekend. :o I went to a neighborhood party on Friday night and ate BBQ, baked beans, and peach pie. :eek: We went to a friend's house on the lake Saturday and I ate two hot dogs and two chocolate chip cookies. Yesterday, I was so sick from the junk food so I stuck to South Beach and didn't hardly sit down all day due to chores. My sweet splurge sure did cure me because now I don't want ANY sweets. They made me soooo sick. I didn't weigh this AM as I am trying to avoid the scales except for our Thurs. morning weigh-ins. Take care all and have a good day! :)

Shelia...I think that we all have to do that sometimes. I have also "binged". I am still not back on my WOE, but I am trying to be good while I get myself back on track.

My problem is that I miss my son so much, I am depressed and don't care about dieting or eating right. I still have that 6 lbs of cruise weight I need to get off to get back to 4 lbs to goal.

Rose

I'm having a good morning. Despite yesterdays angelfood cake I'm down another half pound. Guess the run helped. I'm a little bit sore but not so much that it bothers me. I'm going to try to run Tuesday, Friday and Sunday this week. Today, Thursday and Saturday I'll walk or ride the exercise bike and Wednesday is skating lesson.

Today is the DH's birthday but we agreed to make homemade ice cream since neither of us wants a whole cake in the house. I'll make it with splenda so that shouldn't be a problem. I have fresh peaches too so will probably end up with peach ice cream. :D

Ugh! So far no one is cooperating with my plan to start school at 10am (which is in 3 minutes.) Grrrr! I want to get it done today early so I can go get a haircut when DH gets up (he worked last night.) Yeesh! I just counted and it's been 14 weeks. No wonder I cant see :rolleyes: I want to get it done because DS lost another tooth last night and both upper middle ones are out. I've been waiting for that so we could get a family picture. It's so cute looking. with Oldest DD we waited forever, got the picture taken, and the second tooth fell out the next day! :mad:

Well gotta go circle the troops and get the school work done.

Tami

Rose, thanks for the encouragement. Have you heard from your son? How is he doing?

Tami, sounds like you have your hands full. How many hours a day do you homeschool? Also, how does the ice cream taste with the Splenda? I have some strawberries in the freezer that I need to use. Will you please post your ice cream recipe? Thanks!!!!

Hello all! Just joining this thread. DH and I have been on the SB Diet since mid-May and he has lost 68 lbs and I have lost 34 lbs. I was told by my cardiologist back in May that if I did not change my lifestyle, I would have heart disease in no time. My cholesterol and triglycerides were through the roof and I was on the verge of having type II diabetes. He recommended I go on the SB Diet immediately. DH and I made a decision together to change our eating habits and live a healthier lifestyle. We bought the diet book, cookbook and a cd containing lots of recipes. One thing we did do is adapt this diet to meet our personal needs instead of following it to the T. This seems to be one of the reasons why we have been successful thus far.

First of all, we cut out soda. This was so hard for us since we used to drink at least one 2-liter bottle or more of Coke, Pepsi, you name it, each day. Now we only have a regular soda (which we share) about every two weeks or so and it is a treat! We drink Diet Rite sweetened with Splenda a few times a week when we want a carbonated beverage (I am not supposed to have Nutrasweet, and Splenda is o.k. and seems to taste much better anyway). Otherwise, we drink lots of water, and tea on occasion. We also gave up sugar and use Splenda in all of our recipes. We both love desserts, so we buy Blue Bunny sugar free (Splenda) fruit flavored ice pops and low carb ice cream/bars with Splenda. They taste great and you feel like you are cheating when you aren't. As I said, we did adapt the diet to our lifestyle. We follow it very closely (Phase II) throughout the week and on the week-end, we have 1-2 "cheat" meals (usually a pizza or chinese buffet and 1 treat (frozen custard or a Dairy Queen Blizzard). Exercising and moderation are the keys! We work-out at the gym or walk in the evening for 45 mins. to an hour. DH has been working out twice per day since we started and I work-out about 1 hr. 3 x a week. We don't eat any white bread, only whole wheat or another whole grain bread. We have learned to eat only one piece of bread cut in half for a sandwich instead of two. We also gave up eating potato chips and pretzels. When we want a snack, DH eats Baken-ets Hot'N'Spicy pork skins and loves them. They are a low carb food (less than 1g), imagine that! I make a bowl of popcorn and that seems to do the trick. I don't even crave potato chips or other junk food like I used to.

We are going on a cruise in Nov. right after Thanksgiving, so this is going to be tough time to be on this diet. We are planning to eat what we want on the cruise and still exercise on a daily basis. When we return, we are going back to Phase I for two weeks to lose anything we have gained during the cruise.

My cardiologist is so thrilled with my progress. My triglycerides went from 394 to 212 and my cholesterol has dropped from 343 to 192. My fasting blood sugar has gone down as well. I feel wonderful and am wearing those skinny clothes that I have had packed away for 10 years just hoping that someday I could wear them again.

My in-laws also started the SB Diet back in May when we did and my FIL has lost close to 45 lbs. and my MIL has lost around 30 lbs. They are in their 60's and don't exercise much due to health problems (an occasional walk around the neighborhood), so I know this diet works even if you don't or can't exercise!

Having a diet partner to go through this journey makes it so much easier, especially when you are exercising. You do need support to be successful. If you don't have someone to do this with, use this thread to help you when you feel like giving up. Or, read the success stories in the SB books, they really help me keep on track. Several months ago, I bought a pair of shorts two sizes smaller and I am determined to wear them on our cruise in Nov. That is a great motivator!

I just hope if any of you are thinking about going on the SB Diet that you take the plunge and make those lifestyle changes, and I promise you will feel and look so much better!

Best of luck!!

The end of week one - I was very surprised this morning when I weighed....8lbs gone (I know some of it is water weight but I love it).

One more week of phase I - I know I won't lose that much in week 2 but I will start going to the gym tomorrow 3 x week to walk on the treadmill.

mfinn - welcome - your story is inspirational in that you have stayed with it and lost that much - I'm basically in the same situation - my cardiologist said it was no longer a choice - I have to lose weight for my health - about 65-70lbs worth of it.

Hang in there Sheila - we have all been there at one time or another - we are here for you.

Kathy

Rose, thanks for the encouragement. Have you heard from your son? How is he doing?

Tami, sounds like you have your hands full. How many hours a day do you homeschool? Also, how does the ice cream taste with the Splenda? I have some strawberries in the freezer that I need to use. Will you please post your ice cream recipe? Thanks!!!!

Shelia,

Most days we don't spend more than an hour to an hour and a half doing formal school work. That gets us reading, spanish, math, science and American history. They always have some project or passion they're obsessing about. Jacob is driving me insane with Starwars questions at the moment and Carina either wants to do the pottery wheel or paint with watercolors non-stop. I really need to figure out a place for a "studio" so we can leave stuff out and still eat dinner at the table like civilized people do. Delaney (4) is working on her inner smart aleck. She already has the "DU-UH!" and the eyeroll down. :p Can't wait until she's 13! :rolleyes:

I'll post the ice cream recipe in a minute.

Tami

Here's the ice cream recipe. I just modified the manufacturer's instructions from our machine booklet. I like it alot.

1 cup plus 2 TBLs of splenda

1/4 tsp salt

2 eggs (I used pasturized egg beaters)

1 TBLS vanilla

2 1/2 cups milk (2% tastes better than skim)

2 C fat free cream or fat free evaporated milk.

Refrigerate for 2 hours then freeze accoring to your machine's directions. Make sure you only fill the freezer container half way.

You could use skim milk but it's a little more icy and I prefer the fat free creamer over the evaporated milk. Don't leave out the salt because it really affects the taste.

Tami

I get the posts ever since I posted about wanting to change from Atkins to South Beach. Never got any input and I was too scared to try after so long on A. Here's my deal: Been on A since May 2003, lost over 70 pounds but was stuck. Recently joined ediets for A, but, really the induction on that is not the old A induction. I swear it is more like SB! Any way, I've been on 12 days today and have lost 11 pounds! I'm thrilled! I've broken a plateau I was at for months! Now I've lost over 80 pounds. Still need to lose 50, but I'm just glad to be moving! Unfortunately we just booked a cruise 9/17 (got a great happy hour deal), but I'll do my best before and deal with the gain when I get back! I enjoy reading the posts! :)

tuggers....congrats on the weight loss. It feels so good to break a plateau!:D

Shelia...yes, I have heard from my son, thank you so much for asking. He called Sunday morning and yesterday morning I received a letter from him. He is doing well. He tells us not to worry about him (like that is going to happen). We will probably get to see him sometime in October, which I am so happy about. We thought that it might not be til November. He may be home on leave right after Thanksgiving or close to Christmas. We will have our Christmas celebration while he is home. I really miss him, but I am trying not to dwell on it.

Rose

Rose,

it sounds like your son is overseas for the military. I can relate because my baby brothers passed eachother in Kuwait this year. One was on his way out of Iraq after a year and the other was on the way in, as was his wife. They've been told that they'll be home in January but Jared said he wasn't going to believe it until his feet hit American or German (where he was stationed) soil. In the mean time my older little brother keeps getting his orders changed. He was going back to Iraq, then to South Korea and then they decided to break his unit up so now he has no idea.

It's constant stress for everyone. I saw an army recruiter out yesterday and I just wanted to slap him! :eek:

Tami

Archived