South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Hi All,

I just read this warning on the SB website:

"If you've run across a meal replacement bar known as "South Beach Solutions," then you should know that these bars are not endorsed or manufactured by The South Beach Diet™.

It's easy to be confused, since South Beach Solutions bars have the same name as the diet—but rest assured that they are not SBD-approved. The name similarity is merely an unfortunate coincidence.

There are currently no bars that are approved as meal replacements on The South Beach Diet™. Instead, Dr. Agatston promotes consumption of fresh, whole foods. However, he is currently working with manufacturers to develop an appropriate alternative."

Just thought I'd pass it on...

Have a great weekend!

I know that whole foods are the best but I do wish they'd get some kind of meal replacement bars because there are mornings I just need something sweet or cant' face an egg. I've been using Carb solutions ones since I was on atkins. I don't use them very often but today is one of those days. I'm PMSing badly (had to quit the chasteberry for a while) and I NEED chocolate! :p

Tami

If I want something sweet for breakfast, I make crepes. Here's the recipe:

Crepe

2 eggs beaten well

1 TSP of Vanilla flavoring

2 TSP of Ricotta Cheese

1 TSP of Cinnamon

1-2 Pkts of Splenda

Mix all together and place in pan sprayed with Pam or whatever. Let cook until top is almost done. If you cook it all the way, the bottom will burn.

Filling

1/4 Cup of Ricotta Cheese

1 TSP of Cocoa (unsweetened)

Dash of Vanilla Flavoring

Dash of Cinnamon

1-2 Pkts of Splenda

Mix together and place down the middle of the crepe. Roll over and add whipped cream...from the can (if desired). Yum! Yum!

Hi everyone - I started my new WOE today and I think I did okay - a little concerned about portions, etc as I am used to weight watchers and having to count points, etc. I drank 64 oz of water and I really don't like water but made my self.

I confess.... I am a carboholic, sugar addict, chocolate addict......need I go on?? - of course that's why I need to lose 65lbs because of these addictions.:o

Breakfast is going to be my problem - I need something on the go as I leave my house at 7am and am not really hungry until about 8:30 - 9:00. I tried the veggie quiches today but can't handle eggs at 7am - and they weren't as good heated up at 8:30. any other ideas for phase 1 breakfast on the go?

Kathy

Celery & Light cream cheese or peanut butter. Tuna wrapped in lettuce. Pecans, almonds and peanuts. Cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices. Light Jellow with whipped cream. Cubes of cheese, strips of turkey bacon. Turkey or chicken lunch meat with light cream cheese and rolled up. Hard boiled eggs (take to work)

Hi Kathy! I'm a carbaholic, sugar addict, and chocolate addict also. Once you get past Phase 1, these things will seem no so important any more. I promise. :D

I eat hard boiled eggs a lot of b'fast cause I can bring them to work and eat them when I get hungry. I love eggs though. How about some cottage cheese with sugar-free jell-o mixed in? I love this also when I want something sweet. You can also eat the Ricotta Creme desserts for b'fast. Good luck! :)

I posted some time back about switching from Atkins to South Beach but no one answered so I'm still on Atkins. I recently had my best friend of 25 years visiting and, of course, we were not dieting. In two weeks I was up 8 pounds and then I just could not get back on program, I was craving sweets, carbs, could not get full, etc. Now, I don't recommend this, I'm just telling you what happened that got me back on track. I wanted ice cream, had to have ice cream and I am no good on portions so I went and got 1/2 gal Blue Bunny Choc Fudge Almond and over an hour I ate 2/3 of it! That was Sat night. I was sick until Mon am, all that sugar alcohol! Now I'm back on track and not craving anything! Like I said, it's not something I woiuld recommend, but it's what me back on the straih=ght and narrow! :D

Yeah, I don't think I want to try that, tuggers. :p I just had a bug last weekend that was the worst. Wasn't really "sick" but just felt cruddy.

As for breakfasts I also like egg salad or devilled eggs. I really like eggs usually but some mornings I just can't. Heck, we're talking about getting more chickens because ours are not keeping up with our egg demand. :D

Thanks for the crepe recipe. Those look great. I made some low carb pancakes while we were camping but they had issues. I need to try again while I'm at home.

Tami

Tuggers, it sounds like that sugar alcohol gave you an upset tummy. :eek: You poor thing! I'm sorry nobody responded to you about switching from Atkins to South Beach. I don't remember that post. If you have any questions, just ask away. I'm sure one of us will answer you.

Crzrgrl, I fell off and couldn't get back on either. It is soooo hard to start back eating right after you've splurged for a while. You just basically have to MAKE yourself do it. Is there a goal that you are striving for like me? I want to weigh 140 on my 40th b'day in October. That means I'm going to have to lose 14.5 lbs to get there. That is my goal and I'm doing everything I can to get there. Good luck and keep checking in.

Hello all..... I am on phase one of sbd and seeing lots of good things happening to my body. I do not use a scle when am tryng to lose weight as it's lose/lose proposition for me. If I weigh myself and am doing well, I get cocky, and think I can mess with the system a bit, and if I weigt myself and am not doing well, i get discouraged and think why bother . So, I put the scale in the trunk of our daughters car and it is a 2 hour drive away!!!( My god, what games we play!!!)

Question.... without the cereal , fruit,and bread to rely on, how do you make sure you get enough fiber to keep everything moving right along? I want to stay on phase one for some time and find the veggies and salad are just not totally doing the trick. Ideas? Sorry there is no polite way to ask!!

Hello all..... I am on phase one of sbd and seeing lots of good things happening to my body. I do not use a scle when am tryng to lose weight as it's lose/lose proposition for me. If I weigh myself and am doing well, I get cocky, and think I can mess with the system a bit, and if I weigt myself and am not doing well, i get discouraged and think why bother . So, I put the scale in the trunk of our daughters car and it is a 2 hour drive away!!!( My god, what games we play!!!)

Question.... without the cereal , fruit,and bread to rely on, how do you make sure you get enough fiber to keep everything moving right along? I want to stay on phase one for some time and find the veggies and salad are just not totally doing the trick. Ideas? Sorry there is no polite way to ask!!

Hi Muffin,

My DH has had the same issues. He has been "gulping" down a glass of metamucil (sp?) each night before dinner and says it does the trick for him. Good luck!

I saw this Q&A and thought I should share...

"Q: When shopping at the grocery, I see many items labeled "low-carb." Are any of these good to use on the SBD?

A: I cannot stress this enough—The South Beach Diet™ is not a low-carb plan. In addition, many of the products designed to cash in on the low-carb craze contain ingredients that are not part of a healthy, balanced diet.

Before I get into an explanation of why you should avoid low-carb products, it's important to understand that the label "low-carb" is neither FDA-approved nor government-regulated. This means there is no standard for what makes a product low-carb—each manufacturer uses its own mathematical formula for calculating net carbohydrates. The FDA plans to suggest labeling guidelines for these products in the near future, but until regulations are in place, it's impossible to know if products are true to their advertising.

What makes low-carb products undesirable for The South Beach Diet™? A number of these foods are high in calories, total fat, saturated fats, trans fats, and sugar alcohols. I recommend that you stick with whole, fresh foods—you'll know exactly what you're getting.

There are, of course, some foods labeled "low-carb" that are perfectly acceptable additions to the diet. You'll have to approach each product on a case-by-case basis and read the nutrition labels to determine which ones are okay. Choose items that are:

-Low in total fat

-Low in saturated fat

-Limited in sugar alcohols (due to laxative effect)

-Made with natural ingredients

-Made with whole grains instead of refined flour "

Thanks everyone for your breakfast suggestions - I know it will get easier after phase 1 is over - I really miss my fruit.

2 days and counting - it hasn't been quite as bad as I expected - I was afraid I might have sugar and carb withdrawals but hasn't been too bad so far. I'm even drinking 64oz of water and I hate water.

I also play games with my scale -I'm trying not to weigh more than once a week! Not sure I will be able to stay with that plan - I get anxious and start weighing myself.

Kathy

I just thought I'd pass along a recipe for a meal I threw together tonight. It was one dish, 2 minutes prep and 4 ingredients. After canning pickles all day I did not want to be fancy! Anyway, this is totally phase 1 friendly.

2 bags of raw spinach

fish-any kind 4-6 ounces per person

1 tsp salt

8 ounces of feta (low fat if you can get it)

All I did was crank the oven up to 425. Then I put the spinach in a layer at the bottom of a big baking dish, slapped the fish on top and sprinkled it with salt. (You can reduce the salt but don't skip it or the spinach doesn't wilt as well.) Then I broke up the feta and sprinkled it over the top and stuffed in into the oven. I had to feed 5 people and the fish was frozen so it took about an hour for ours.

I found some high fiber/low carb pita breads today so I served it with that and some tzatziki (sp?) sauce or raitha. That's grated cucumber, plain yogurt, and mustard seed.

I congratulate all of you that can go weeks without weighing. I'm an "every day" weigher and it is killing me. I think I should stop, but can't seem to make myself. I guess I'm replacing my obsession with food to an obsession with the scale. "My name is Shelia and I'm a scaleaholic." LOL I will weigh-in tomorrow and then after that, only once a week. If I don't stop weighing, I'll go insane! :eek:

Tami, that recipe sounds great. I'm going to have to try it, but with a different cheese. I can't stand Feta.

Kathy, you are doing sooo well. Keep it up! :)

Jenny, thanks for posting the Q/A. Great information that we all need to follow.

Muffin, I use Benefiber EVERY day. I like it soo much better than Metamucil because it is tasteless and it doesn't clump. You can put it in any drink. I add a TBSP to my coffee every morning and it keeps me from getting clogged. ;)

I am down 4 in two weeks...seems like it all came off my middle..so I am thrilled.

I am going to try phase 1 for 2 more weeks...Anyone done more than 2 weeks Phase 1?.

Another recipe:

Oven at 350 degrees

in a roasting pan:

Cut up:

2 chopped onions

2 green peppers

2 red peppers

2 cups muchrooms

2 zuchinni

1/2 head colliflower

bunch of green beans

1/2 head of cabbage

sprinkle with pepper and a little salt

Bake for 1/2 hour

Add 1 can of whole or diced tomatoes, bake for 15 minutes longer.

Lasts about 3 days for 1 person for a meal and snacking etc.

You can sprinkle parmesan cheese on if you like.

PGCruiser, that is great news about your weight loss! :D I haven't done Phase 1 for longer than 14 days, but I have done Phase 1 1/2. I seem to lose more weight on Phase 1 1/2. However, I am on Phase 2 right now because I'm burned out.

The recipe sounds great....thanks!

Hi everyone! I am new here and wanted to join in the support!

I was on Atkins for a year and lost 57lbs and kept it off until I had a carb meltdown and put 44 of it back on! I read Southbeach book and thought that sounded like the diet I could stick with for life, then a friend gave me her copy of "Low Carbs for Dummies"....you know, those obnoxious books that are yellow and black and end with "....for Dummies"! Well, I was skeptical due to the title, etc, but I read the intro by a Registerd Dietician and decided to read the book and give it a try.

Long story short, I have followed it for 2 weeks and have lost an inital 12 pounds! It is easy to follow and basically is the same as Southbeach except it allows unlimited fruits and veggies. The theory is the carbs in fruits and veggies is natural and easy to digest and use by the body so therefore does not affect weight gain. So, I have basically been eating like I did on Atkins but I eat fruit and/or veggies whenever I want (potatoes, corn and bananas are still a no-no however....or can be eaten cautiously)

Oh my, forgive me for going on and on! I was just going to say HI and introduce myself!

Teri :)

Archived