Is there any shade on HMC?

drdaddy

Hey, everyone. Other threads talk about the cabanas and the clamshells. They both look nice and the price seems right for the clams. Is there any other option for shade on HMC? Palm trees, pines, or the usual vegetation? Pretty important because after snorkeling, I will be more red than the lobsters but I love sitting out there.

Thanks alot for the heads up!

Yes, there is plenty of shade. We had a cabana, and I know I am a minority opinion on this, but thought it a big waste of money. You are not there that long and if you walk down the beach a couple hundred feet there is plenty of shade and lounge chairs. Most people congregate right by the entrance so the farther down you go the fewer people and the most shade. But you are farther away from the rest rooms and food.

Gary

Thanks for the helpful info, Gary. I was wondering the same thing about shade. My skin is 2 colors - white or red - so I didn't want to "fry". My Eastern Caribbean cruise this coming December will be my first visit to HMC.

Roz

Eagle,

That's a good reminder to everyone. Besides sunblock and sunscreen, I've also purchased some clothing that offers UV ray protection.

People laughed at me when I applied sunscreen in Alaska, but reflected sun off the water, snow, and glaciers can be deadly. The last laugh was mine.

Roz

:)

Other than the cabanas and clam shells, the pine trees and other sparse vegetation are not very far down the beach and not near bathrooms, etc.

Rent a clamshell for $9 - it has 2 lounge chairs under it and you can adjust them to your liking.

Since HAL has raised the price of the cabanas, we find they are really no longer a good deal.

That's super news, guys. The clamshells might be the way to go. But I enjoy a nice hammock under the trees, too. A little walk to the loo and the food is not a problem. Sounds like the beach is a nice stroll, anyway. Florida beaches are too shelly to take a nice walk. HMC sounds great.

Now, you HMC mavens, where is the best snorkeling site, if you do it yourself from the beach?

Growing up in Florida, I have been to many, many beaches through the years before moving north. I can honestly say that Half Moon Cay has the softest sand I have ever felt. It feels like sifted flour. A beautiful place. We saw the clamshells the last time we were there but unaware how to rent them. Could someone please let me know if you rent them after you arrive at Half Moon Cay or if I can reserve one once I board the ship. We are sailing in a few weeks and would like to take advantage of the shade in the hot summer.

Hello Lobsters.... You can rent the clamshells aboard the ship before arriving at HMC through the Shore Excursion Office. It is slightly possible you may be able to do it prior to arriving at the ship by calling Ships Services but I do not think you can do it on line....yet. Maybe if Seattle is reading this, they may start listing it on shore excurions choices on line.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how hot it will be even in the shade? Cruising late August, hot-hot-hot. But, I'm from Hawaii where it's cooler near the water. I'm interested in the clamshell but want to know if it will be stifling hot on the beach so should I splurge for the cabana?

Yes, there is plenty of shade. We had a cabana, and I know I am a minority opinion on this, but thought it a big waste of money. You are not there that long and if you walk down the beach a couple hundred feet there is plenty of shade and lounge chairs. Most people congregate right by the entrance so the farther down you go the fewer people and the most shade. But you are farther away from the rest rooms and food.

Gary

I agree with Gary. I don't seem to recall finding enough "free" shade on the beach my last trip to HMC

We have been to HMC in June, July, August, September, etc

The temperature can vary alot during the same month. There can be a sea breeze which cools it alot or it can be hot and humid. No way to predict exactly how steamy but the water is so warm when the temps of the air are warm and the water is so beautifully clean.....most people spend a good deal of their beach time enjoying the ocean.

I burn very easily and I made it a point to rent the clamshell the first day on the ship. They usually sell out so if you want one be sure to do that. Since this is usually the last stop of the cruise you will probably already be burned from previous days in the sun (I certainly was). There are some chairs and a very few hammocks under some small trees on the far end of the beach. I wouldn't mind the walk actually, but the shade area is pretty small. Another factor is when you will arrive on the beach. The shady chairs are among the first to get "claimed" so if you arrive a little later in the morning you will find yourself baking. To be safe spend the $9 for the clamshell.

Each time a bad storm hits that area, another tree is lost. Considering that there weren't many trees on HMC years ago, there are even less for shade.

Get there early and rent a clam shell for $9 - all day - for 2 people (includes 2 loungers) if you can't take a lot of sun. They are worth it.

I agree with Gary. I don't seem to recall finding enough "free" shade on the beach my last trip to HMC

OOPS - In my typing haste - I changed the meaning of what I wanted to say - I should have said

I don't seem to recall HAVING ANY PROBLEM AT ALL finding enough "free" shade on the beach my last trip to HMC

(ie there was plenty of shade for me from the trees)

Every time I've been to HMC it's been a lovely day, with party-cloudy skies, a light breeze, lovely warers, and plenty of shade under trees and in the dining area. I LOVE HMC ... one of my favorite places to stop in the Caribbean!

Here are a few photos from HMC ... sorry for their size (I hope it doesn't bog-down the thread too badly for anyone).

hmclovely.jpg

hmc9.jpg

hmc2.jpg

Archived