Best stateroom position for seasickness??

Hollyann

My 13 year old and I both get motion sickness. On our past 4 cruises out of Florida we were able to control it pretty well - him with Dramamine and me with the Transderm Scoop patch behind the ear. (I highly recommend it!)

However, we're going on the Pride over Thanksgiving week and I've been reading posts on how choppy the water is the last two days of the cruise- even for people who have been around hurricanes on their cruises and I'm worried that our remedies might not be able to hold us. I've booked an IS guarantee but am wondering if I should upgrade it.

I've seen scattered opinions about deck height and forward vs. aft positions. What do you think???

Thanks,

Holly

First of all it is only the last full day. The day prior to that you will be in Cabo.

The best cabin location is low and in the middle. Thus an inside cabin on the lowest deck mid ship is best.

However, seasickness is caused by a conflict between the inner ear and your eyes. If you are in an inside cabin and can not see the horizon, then you eyes will not detect movement, but you ears will. That can cause seasinkness. If you have a view cabin and can see the horizon, your eyes will see movement and your ears will detect movement. You can also sit up on deck (which is why people recommend getting "fresh air"). It is not the fresh air that helps, it is being able to see the horizon.

By the way, it also works in reverse. The last time I got seasick I was on land, inside my friend's house, sitting on a couch. However, I was playing a video driving game, and thus my eyes saw movement, my ears did not detect any movement, and I soon found myself in the bathroom, tossing my cookies, and anything else I had for lunch.

Something else, try bland foods (bread for example). Good luck. I was on the Pride in May 2004, I get seasick easy, I was in an aft cabin, and I did not have any problems.

Just use your meds. If you're prone to seasickness it really doesn't matter where your cabin is because your inner ear is obviously sensitive to any motion. I also get seasick and just plan on always taking my non drowsy Dramamine or Bonine. I got sick the first day on our first cruise once we hit the gulf stream and it didn't matter where I was, I still felt sick. Also, laying down you'll feel better anyway so cabin location isn't really an issue and if the patch and dramamine worked before they should work this time. My DH is a Naval Officer (reservist now) but from his active duty time on much smaller ships, says that everyone has their motion and some people get sick with any motion and others need specific ones. I found I felt fine till we hit the Gulf Stream and the swells changed. So, if meds worked for you before just go prepared to do the same thing.

My first cruise, I got sick the first night out. At dinner the next evening, we learned that a large part of the ship had been sick also. We were on the Empress deck, outside room with a view. I wanted WATER ... lots of water .. I drank all the bottled water in the room and requested MORE WATER. Of course, it just came right back up. I was afraid to have dinner but I went anyway mainly because I was so thirsty. Our waiter said, "ohhh no! No drink!!" And he brought me a whole basket of rolls. He said, "eat bread! No drink!" And he was right. After I got that bread in my stomach and no liquid to slosh around I was fine for the rest of the trip. And it was a very ROUGH trip. So rough that the childrens pool water was circling and sloshing over the sides.

If you feel sick, don't drink any liquid. Get you some bread. I also agree that getting up on deck and seeing the horizon seems to help also. I felt much better outside than inside.

Some good tips here! But, I must disagree with the "laying down" part. If you are feeling woozy, get out on the deck and look way off to the horizon and practice deep breathing. You need to focus on something not moving. Laying down just increased the sickness.

Nibble on crackers and/or dry bread (no butter or anything) and sip ginger ale. Mostly try not to focus on how sick you feel or worry about it getting worse. Mind over matter ya know.

You can get medication on the ship that works really well - and it is free.

Some good tips here! But, I must disagree with the "laying down" part. If you are feeling woozy, get out on the deck and look way off to the horizon and practice deep breathing. You need to focus on something not moving. Laying down just increased the sickness.

Nibble on crackers and/or dry bread (no butter or anything) and sip ginger ale. Mostly try not to focus on how sick you feel or worry about it getting worse. Mind over matter ya know.

You can disagree, but laying down made me feel much better and I went to sleep. After I woke up the next morning in port, I took non drowsy dramamine and kept that in my system. You can only look at the horizon so long. It gets dark and you need to sleep eventually. I ate bread and drank ginger ale and got sick. It's not definitely mind over matter. It's your inner ear overriding your eyes.

My 13 year old and I both get motion sickness. On our past 4 cruises out of Florida we were able to control it pretty well - him with Dramamine and me with the Transderm Scoop patch behind the ear. (I highly recommend it!)

However, we're going on the Pride over Thanksgiving week and I've been reading posts on how choppy the water is the last two days of the cruise- even for people who have been around hurricanes on their cruises and I'm worried that our remedies might not be able to hold us. I've booked an IS guarantee but am wondering if I should upgrade it.

I've seen scattered opinions about deck height and forward vs. aft positions. What do you think???

Thanks,

Holly

Mid-Ship lower deck. If you remember your geometry, the greatest change is the furthest from the central axis. Simply, that means that the least amount of movement will be found on the lowest deck toward the center of the ship.

I knew I could count on you guys! All good advice and in pretty much agreement too. Derf your links were very helpful and klfrodo I needed that laugh in this forum!!

I feel much better now. The patch has always worked before, but we have always lucked into balcony rooms by my great Cruise TA. So I don't know how much that helped. My TA has since retired and the east coast is so much more expensive than Florida that I thought we'd give the guarantee a whirl - better an IS than no cruise.

I do carry saltines and gingerale in my suitcase so I don't even have to wait for delivery if needed- it can come up on you quick I know. (Pun intended)

Thanks,

Holly

The best stateroom position for seasickness is on your knees over the toilet. The second best position would be on your knees over the trash can. The worst position clearly would be bent over the balcony railing.

Mark T

try using ginger tablets with your patch. On the Fantasy last month, I wore the patch, but got sick to my stomach one night while shopping. I went back to the room and took some Ginger and was feeling 100% better in no time. It worked great!

Speaking as someone who can get REALLY seasick, what everyone has said is pretty much spot on. I always use the patch, but sometimes even that doesn't do the job completely, and that's when I use the ginger caps. They work much better than even ginger ale or cookies.

Like most said, the best cabin location is low and midship. In fact, just heard that again a few minutes ago on the travel channel. Bread is the best thing to eat, and I hear apples are good for it too. It seems like it's almost always rough going from Miami to the Bahamas, and I've been known to go to bed and sleep, knowing that by 10 or 11 PM, it's smooth again and I can get up and feel human again. I know, that's not the best option, but sometimes it was all that worked.

If all else fails, the doctor on board has a "magic" shot they can give you. Not sure what it is, and it does cost extra, but it's worth every penny if you're really sick. And in about 10 minutes, you're feeling good as new! Been there, done that too...:o Have a great time!

try using ginger tablets with your patch. On the Fantasy last month, I wore the patch, but got sick to my stomach one night while shopping. I went back to the room and took some Ginger and was feeling 100% better in no time. It worked great!

Perhaps it was the shopping that was making you sick? :)

I have found that the pressure point wristbands work pretty well too, though at times I have to use them when my "patch" just isnt cutting it.

our pediatrition (sp) also told us to get the wristbands for the kids, she said not to do the patch with them.

I found that the dramimine & bonnine just make me feel Very sleepy and drunk (but not the good fun kind of drunk)

I have gotten pressure poin wristbands at walgreens sometimes at target and on the boat. Oh and they make quite the fashion statment on formal night!

Thanks Popcorngal,

I think I'll do the ginger capsules with the patch - that should increase my odds of a "dry" trip.

It's also good to know about the shot from the doctor - it's nice to have a backup plan!!

What works for some, doesn't work for others. Best bet is to keep trying until you find what does work for you. On our first cruise, some wore the patch and had terrific headaches. They took them off and the headaches went away and they never got seasick.

While in the Marines, we were stationed aboard an aircraft carrier. They told us to eat soda crackers and apples. That usually worked. They also told us to lay down and try to go to sleep. It seems that your inner ear gets accustomed to the movement of the ship without your mind knowing what's going on. That always worked for me but not for some others.

I have also read on this board that a waiter brought out an orange, peeled it and told the guest to squeeze the peel and inhale the mist from it. They said it worked instantly. That's the only time I've ever heard that one. Like I said, what works for some, doesn't work for others.

As for picking a cabin where there is little movement, this will only work if you never leave your cabin. You are still going to be higher up where the pools, restaurants, and public areas are sometime during the cruise.

I never got sea sick until I booked a massage appointment for after we left the port. Oh lord! That was not a good idea.

As for picking a cabin where there is little movement, this will only work if you never leave your cabin. You are still going to be higher up where the pools, restaurants, and public areas are sometime during the cruise.

The amount of time you spend outside your cabin may depend on how well you feel while inside your cabin.

The only time I have ever been seasick was the last day on the Pride. After leaving Cabo, the ship heads north into the swells. It made for miserable night trying to pack while fighting the sea sickness.

As you know, sea sickness is WAY easier to prevent than stop once it starts. Every since that cruise, we are very proactive in preventing the problem.

I wear the patch (no negative reactions).

My Wife has bad reactions to the patch, so she takes non drousy over the counter pills starting 1 day before cruise. My 9 year old takes half dose of same med starting 1 day before cruise. My 8 year old has never felt the least bit sick - so nothing for him (yet).

Archived