Which Itinerary Would You Do???

doone

We are planning on a European cruise in the summer of 2008. We have done the Baltic one 5 years ago and have to say that was probably our most favorite itinerary. We have some new people sailing with us on this 2008 cruise, some who have cruise before, but not for many years and others who have never cruised. We are looking at the Mediterranean or the Baltics. I keep wanting to go back to the Baltics. Most of the people I am sailing with really want to do the Baltics, but I am wondering which itinerary is best since I have not done the Mediterranean one.

Can someone who has done both itineraries please tell me what their favorite one was and why.

Thanks so much in advance.

If we were going again we would do the Med. The weather is better and we like most of the historic tours better. Since you haven't done the Med you definitly should go there.

Thanks for your expertise.

Krazy Kruizers, we're looking at the end of July as we have some teachers joining us and they need to sail when school is out. The temperature in the Mediterranean is a concern with me, that's one reason why I am thinking the Baltics again.

Years ago I spent two weeks in August on the French Riviera. It was nowhere near as hot or humid as the Caribbean or Florida. But then, that was only one year, so who knows if that summer was unusually cool.

Maybe your group could just vote on the 2008 itinerary and then vow to do the other one the following year? Always a good thing to have another cruise on the horizon:)

Well,for starters, I am of British and Norwegian heritage, so the Baltic region strikes "closer to home" for me than the Med.

We've been into the Med a couple of times, and enjoyed it, but really like the Baltic better.

We've done the Baltic twice, and both times held out for a cruise that included the Kiel Canal, truly a highlight! Most passenger ships can't fit through, but HAL's Prinsendam does, along with Oceania's R class ships, and the Norwegian Dream.

We did the Baltic on Norwegian Dream 5-99, but thought the ship lacking. We did it again last August on Oceania's Regatta, and absolutely loved it!

We were going to go on HAL's Prinsendam, but we got such a good price on Regatta we felt we could not pass it up. I must say that the food on Regatta was the absolute best we have had in some 30+ cruises, surpassing HAL, Crystal, and the late great Royal Cruise Line.

One of my considerations would be "how port-intensive" is each itinerary? Usually they are about equal for these 2 choices. My DH doesn't like repeats so he would vote for the new ports, I'm leaning toward the Baltic, given the time of the sailing. We did have friends however, who ran into a heat wave in the Baltic several years ago.

GN

That's a hard decision, Doone. I know how you feel. Both are excellent journeys. We've done both and loved them both. Each has tons of history, charming towns and beautiful scenery. For that time of year, I'd also slightly favor Scandinavia for its respite from the heat. Good luck in making your choice.

Done both also and you can't go wrong on either. Since you've done the Baltic already, I would consider the Meditteranean. Totally diffferent ports but very nice with their own spectacular history. Plus, the weather should be warmer in the Med if you're in to that sort of thing! Whatever you decide, the best of luck and smooth seas!

Thanks everyone for all your expertise. We are having everyone going on this cruise up for a "cruise party" in August. I will share all this information with everyone and let them all decide. To be honest with you, it makes no difference to me, either itinerary is fine by me, just wanted everyone's opinion.

Thanks again, anyone else here with some valuable information, please post it.

Hi Doone,

Long time no see. If I recall correctly, you and I were on the Amsterdam Baltic cruise at the same time but did not know it. Anyway, cruising the Med in the summer is often just way too hot, in port. I Dk the agees of your friends but if they are "mature", this might be a serious issue. Also, many of the Med ports are tender. If it has to be the Med, May is a great month and the prices are better too.

As an alternative,consider a Norwegian Fjord cruise for some of the best scenery anywhere, interesting ports of call and guaranteed refreshing temps. If at all possible, this is the cruise to get a balcony. But if you are like me, you prefer to cruise more often, than care where you sleep.

Hammybee, yes, we were on the Amsterdam on the same cruise, how are you?

We will have a few older guests with us and the heat may be too much for them and maybe even me. I think I am leaning towards the Baltics and to be honest with you, I am getting excited about it all over again. My dad is Swedish, my mom is Italian, so you all can see my dilema. I'll have to do the Baltics this time and take another cruise another time to the Mediterranean.

I am like you, I just need a clean place to sleep and shower, I am a happy person. I like to have that extra $$ to spend in the ports.

Thanks everyone, you all have been so very helpful.

doone, this could all be a moot point if there's no ships to do the cruise. Usually HAL (I don't know about other lines, but I do know it's your line of choice) pulls out of the Mediterranean by July in favor of cooler climes.

If I were you I'd check the 2006 and 2007 cruise planners to see if there even is likely to be a choice on this point.

Personally, I'd take the Baltic again. I had such a wonderful time there on the '03 cruise. I have those not so good memories of my attempt to do a Med cruise.

Thanks, Ruthc, I appreciate that. I'll have to go check the web site and see what HAL has for the Mediterranean for 2007. I wasn't aware that they pulled their ships mid-summer in favor of cooler climates, but that's interesting. With that said, I believe I am leaning towards the Baltics as I have said in another post that we have teachers sailing with us and mid-July seems to be the best for them.

Once again, thanks so much for everyone's input, these boards are invaluable.

You're right for this year, Jim. Next year there's three ships mostly in the Baltic while the Westerdam is in the Med. It's highly unusual to have a lot of HAL choice in the Med in July/August.

Now, since doone would like to go back to the Baltic, and since her friends haven't been there and would like to go,....

There. It's settled.

Archived