Can we reserve the Pinnacle Grill before our trip?

Schplinky

Does anyone know if we can reserve the Pinnacle Grill before we leave for our trip in January? Celebrity allows advanced reservations but only to frequent guests. Does HAL have advanced reservations for its specialty room? The ship appears to be nearly sold out so I would hate to miss an opportunity to reserve if it exists.

We did, about a month before our cruise. We called the ships dining #. But when we got on board we had a reservation with no time:confused: . So we were able to book a time right then. It was important to us because it was for our 20th anniversary.

I called HAL yesterday & they said we couldn't reserve the Pinnacle Grill in advance. We were told we had to make the reservations when we were on the ship. Do you think I should call again? Does anyone else have any other information?

Call Ship's Services at 800-541-1576. Have your booking number and your credit card handy.

You cannot pre-reserve if you are planning to use free Pinnacle offers that are sometimes offered as booking incentives. Those reservations must be made aboard ship.

I called HAL yesterday & they said we couldn't reserve the Pinnacle Grill in advance. We were told we had to make the reservations when we were on the ship. Do you think I should call again? Does anyone else have any other information?

That is odd. I just got this email in response to my query.

<<Guests who dine at the intimate, reservations-only Pinnacle Grill enjoy a dining experience themed to reflect the Pacific Northwest. Candlelight and fine décor create a romantic ambiance that sets the stage for fresh Northwest dishes and select wines.

Changing menus in the Pinnacle Grill include savory seafood dishes such as Northwest clam chowder, Alaskan king salmon and Dungeness crab cakes with spiral shaved cucumber and sweet chili sauce. Premium hand-selected cuts of beef and unique items like wild mushroom ravioli are also featured. A collection of delectable desserts naturally includes baked Alaska.

Guests who wish to enjoy the Pinnacle Grill experience should make reservations early. There is a modest surcharge of $20.00 for this extraordinary dining experience, and a discount is available on the day of embarkation. Reservations may be booked by calling our Ship Services department.

If you have further questions, or would like to make a reservation, please contact our Ship Services department at (800) 541-1576.>>

I called Ship Services on June 6th for my July 20th Noordam cruise and made (and paid for) 2 reservations for the cruise. I was asked what time I wished to choose, and then asked which dates. As I didn't know which nights (yet) I preferred, we left the dates open to be booked once on board. I've never had a problem booking a night, as long as I didn't wait until "the day of". On my first HAL cruise with a pre-paid reservation, I was unpacking in my cabin when the Pinnacle called my room and inquired about my reservations!

Some reports have been you can only pre-pay for them. Perhaps it comes down to whom you talk. I spoke to Susan, who is a Ships Service Coordinator (dealing with groups, TA's, etc), and she was taking a turn in answering the Ship Services lines. Very nice, very competent young lady.

I guess, as with many things HAL, your mileage may vary! :D

Hope this helps...

Paul

I called today and booked. I paid for the meal but they hold 7 and 7:30 reservations exclusively for booking onboard, I was told. I booked for 6:30 with the assurance that I could switch to 7:30 once onboard if it was available.

I received an AMEX Platinum "perk" which was dinner for two at the Pinnacle Grill. I asked my TA to reserve this for us, and it turns out you can only use it on the first night and you have to wait until you get on board to book it. It seems this would make things very hectic on embarkation day!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

I received an AMEX Platinum "perk" which was dinner for two at the Pinnacle Grill. I asked my TA to reserve this for us, and it turns out you can only use it on the first night and you have to wait until you get on board to book it. It seems this would make things very hectic on embarkation day!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Yes.....that is how the AmEx First Night Free Pinnacle offer works.

You may be able to get a booking; you may not. We always have the AmEx Offer and have never used it. We like to be in the dining room the first night.

The only Pinnacle reservations that can be made prior to boarding require you to give them your credit card number and the $20 charge is made at the time of booking.

I called Ship Services on June 6th for my July 20th Noordam cruise and made (and paid for) 2 reservations for the cruise. ---- As I didn't know which nights (yet) I preferred, we left the dates open to be booked once on board.

Paul

I don't see the point in paying ahead for reservations at the Pinnacle with no dining date locked in.

Isn't the purpose of booking ahead through Ship Services to secure a reservation for a definite night so that one doesn't get closed out for that particular evening if waiting until after boarding? This way you could still be closed out of the night you end up wanting to dine at the Pinnacle if it is pre-booked to full capacity by other pax. Why pay ahead with no guarantee that you will get your night of choice anyway?

Just wondering. Maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

I don't see the point in paying ahead for reservations at the Pinnacle with no dining date locked in.

Isn't the purpose of booking ahead through Ship Services to secure a reservation for a definite night so that one doesn't get closed out for that particular evening if waiting until after boarding? This way you could still be closed out of the night you end up wanting to dine at the Pinnacle if it is pre-booked to full capacity by other pax. Why pay ahead with no guarantee that you will get your night of choice anyway?

Just wondering. Maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

Although I am traveling with a relatively small "group", I am traveling solo. I am less "pickey" about what night(s) I attend the Pinnacle, and am actually just pre-paying to get that charge out of the way before my cruise. I may attend additional evenings in the Pinnacle, but wanted to get a couple "on the books" beforehand.

I was given the opportunity to "pick" my evenings & times (although that surprised me a little), but deferred to waiting until I boarded because I was unsure of formal night schedules, etc.

My "night of choice" is nebulous, for me, at this point! YMMV!!!

Paul

• 2 months later...
Yes.....that is how the AmEx First Night Free Pinnacle offer works.

You may be able to get a booking; you may not. We always have the AmEx Offer and have never used it. We like to be in the dining room the first night.

The only Pinnacle reservations that can be made prior to boarding require you to give them your credit card number and the $20 charge is made at the time of booking.

Has anyone attempting to use their Amex Pinnacle "first night free" benefit ever been turned away? And if so, did the staff allow any flexibility (i.e., allow you to dine on another night?)

We've never tried to have the accomodate us for the free AmEx dinner. We don't wish to go the first night but we always dine in Pinnacle on every cruise. We know the offer is for first night only and don't feel it right to 'put them on the spot' and request they honor our freebie for other than what the terms are. Just our way of looking at things. You may not agree.

We forego the free AmEx dinner and pay for the evening we'd rather be there.

Has anyone attempting to use their Amex Pinnacle "first night free" benefit ever been turned away? And if so, did the staff allow any flexibility (i.e., allow you to dine on another night?)

Followup question: This will be my first HAL cruise, so I don't have a feel for the popularity of the Pinnacle Grill. Is it frequently very full on the first night? And how about the rest of the cruise? My past several cruises have been on Princess, and generally you can get a reservation at Sabatini's... but I never tried it on the first night either.

The email Schplinky received stated that a discount is available for the first night. It used to be $10 pp and I thought I read here they did away with that. Anybody know if that is still available? Ship Services is closed now or I would call and ask.

Bev

Sprocket, please let us know what you find out??

Schplinky, Do you mind giving a few more details about your email? Who did you get it from? Did you follow up on the discount part? Thanks for sharing the info about the time of reservations.

We did the 1st night discount on the Zudierdam last year and it was a win/win situation. We loved it and the staff in the Pinnacle got some business, there was only about 4 tables filled so we did up the income on that night, we had a corkage fee and left additional tip, so I would say they came out ok on the deal.

The minute we get on the ship we go to the Pinnacle to see if they are open and make our reservation for the first night - AMEX Plat freebie. We have been very lucky lately to get the time we want. We could have our concierge do it for us, but she is really very busy that first day and it doesn't take us that long to do it oursleves.

We have never tried to use it on another night. There were times 2 and 3 years ago when we weren't able to use the AMEX Plat the first night because the Pinnacle was already booked with all the 1/2 price people that doesn't exist any more.

One time we got a notice that they still wanted us to sign the card that indicating that we had taken advantage of the freebie when in fact we hadn't. Got into a bit of a conversation with hotel manager. I saved the card and when we got home I sent it to AMEX Plat and told them that we were not able to get a reservation for the first night but that the hotel manager wanted us to sign the card anyway. AMEX Plat wrote us a nice letter back saying that if we had signed the card, the hotel manager would have sent it to them for reimbursement and they would have no idea that we hadn't actually eaten there.

The minute we get on the ship we go to the Pinnacle to see if they are open and make our reservation for the first night - AMEX Plat freebie. We have been very lucky lately to get the time we want. We could have our concierge do it for us, but she is really very busy that first day and it doesn't take us that long to do it oursleves.

We have never tried to use it on another night. There were times 2 and 3 years ago when we weren't able to use the AMEX Plat the first night because the Pinnacle was already booked with all the 1/2 price people that doesn't exist any more.

One time we got a notice that they still wanted us to sign the card that indicating that we had taken advantage of the freebie when in fact we hadn't. Got into a bit of a conversation with hotel manager. I saved the card and when we got home I sent it to AMEX Plat and told them that we were not able to get a reservation for the first night but that the hotel manager wanted us to sign the card anyway. AMEX Plat wrote us a nice letter back saying that if we had signed the card, the hotel manager would have sent it to them for reimbursement and they would have no idea that we hadn't actually eaten there.

KK, thanks for your input on the questions I raised. I am really looking forward to this cruise and dining in the Pinnacle - on whatever night!

Archived