Living In Halifax....

Are you looking for St Mary's Basilica (Roman Catholic church)? It is a fairly easy walk from the Pier, less than a mile. It is on Spring Garden Road just above Barrington street.

Here is what Google maps says;

Walking directions to Saint Mary's Cathedral Basilica

(902) 423-4116

1.1 km – about 14 mins

Suggested routes

Pier 21 Canada's Immigration Museum

1055 Marginal Road

Halifax, NS B3H 4P7

(902) 425-7770

1. Head north on Marginal Rd

0.4 km

2. Slight left to stay on Marginal Rd

27 m

3. Turn right at Lower Water St

0.2 km

4. Turn left at Morris St

0.2 km

5. Turn right at Barrington St

0.3 km

6. Turn left at Spring Garden Rd

24 m

Saint Mary's Cathedral Basilica

5221 Spring Garden

Halifax, NS B3J 1Z3

(902) 423-4116

Sponsored Links

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1055+Marginal+Road,+Halifax,+NS+B3H+4P7+(Pier+21+Canada%27s+Immigration+Museum)&daddr=St+Mary%27s+basilica+Halifax&geocode=Ce3ktooKOS7wFVofqQIdwg82_CEtqR9BI6Wc1Q%3B&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&dirflg=w&sll=44.643298,-63.570299&sspn=0.02687,0.055189&ie=UTF8&z=16

I hope this helps you.

Rick:

We will be in your city on Sunday, October 20th and would like to attend Mass at St Mary's. Distance from the port?

On Sunday times for Mass are &:30 am, 11:00 am and 5:00 pm. On weekdays there is Mass at 12:15 pm.

After Mass, walk up Spring Garden Road (Left as you leave Church) and enjoy the Public Gardens.

Hello Hello,

We're on the Caribbean Princess in September and have a few questions.

Is there anything to do right at the pier?

Where does the ship dock in relation to your city?

How far would it be to some great restaurats?

I walk with a cane and so can't go too far, but would definitely take a cab.

Thanks for all the great info!!!!!!

Angie from AZ

Hello Hello,

Angie from AZ

The ships dock at Pier 21 which is on one end on the downtown core. There are a few shops right at the Pier but they they are only there for the ships. Pier 21 immigration museum is right there also and has recently been named a National Historic site. Pier 21 would be considered the Canadian eqivelent to your Ellis Island. http://www.pier21.ca/

From the ship you can follow a boardwalk along the water that strectches about 1.5 miles. There are a few shops a restaurants around a quarter mile down and several more starting at around a half mile away. There are numerous restaurants around to suit your needs. If your looking for a nice seafood resaurant Salty's is right on the water.

If you have trouble walking you can always take cab or even consider a rickshaw. There are usually some University students around offering their services. Yous can also use the free bus service (FRED) for tourists that I mentioned previously. See here: http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html and here: http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.36

Enjoy your visit!:D

Hello Hello,

Angie from AZ

The CruisePort in Halifax is one of the best in the world. It is located on the south end of a Boardwalk that stretches for abouut a mile north along the waterfront and the downtown area. The selling area (in the cruise port arrival building is very well appointed with quality offerings of crafts. There are tour buses and many taxies available for tours. One excellant attraction at the Cruise Port is the Pier 21 museum which is dedicated to the immigrants who arrived in Halifax at this location over the past many years.

Visoitors generally do the boardwalk which is level and well constructed.

Depending on the ood you like there are many restaurants to choose from along the way and on the streets above the boardwalk. A great street is Spring Garden Road and also Argyle Street for food and unique shopping.

Having nice weather makes Halifax a very enjoyable port and we are always pleased to see the ships come and go. A number of ships that we have cruised on often visit and it's always nice to see those particular ships in port.

According to the Port schedule you are here on the 10th, 17th or 24th (Thursdays)

Thank you all for your info on "FRED". I have cancelled my $35 trolley ride to the gardens and plan on taking "FRED" around Halifax. We have been to Halifax and usually go to Peggys Cove but this time we will definately enjoy Halifax.

Thank you

Jeanne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick and other local posters. I travelled by train from Halifax to Vancouver last Fall as my treat to me for my retirement year. Loved the Maritimes so much, made me nostalgic for where I grew up, that I booked a cruise this year (Sept - Nov) visiting Canada and the US - to find now that Fred. Olsen say they have been informed that the Montreal to Halifax sector is in breach of legislation. The upshot is that they have cancelled the Halifax turnaround so my long anticipated overnighter in Halifax has been changed to just a port day later in October! I was so looking forward to getting to know Halifax better. I am a first time cruiser so my experience of such thngs is zilch - but it gives me an excuse to try again next year, and maybe stick to the train next time! These posts are so helpful and useful and I just wanted to say thanks for your generosity of time and effort in putting down so much information for we strangers!

I've walked all over the Harbour area of Halifax. Most of it is very easy walking with excellent signage and notices. I really enjoyed visiting the Pier 21 Museum so much I went there 2 times on one visit to Halifax. The walk to St Mary's is all up hill. Really up hill. Think of a wedding cake and image the streets as tiers. I am much better going up hill than down, so I made it with no problem.

Best wishes to all in Halifax! Let us know that you are fine and that Cow's Ice Cream has survived. Theodore as well.

Just dropped in to see how things are going, nice to see my thread still going strong! Thanks to everyone for answer questions and helping visitors to our city, you guys are great!

Rick1965

Rick and fellow contributors,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to make your visitors feel welcome, with all your wonderful answers. We too will be using "Fred" when we come to visit your fair city. Looking forward to the visit seeing the Citadel and Casion oh, of course shopping too!

Neverthought

How are things in Halifax today? You are all in our prayers. I did see some of the storm just a few minutes ago on the Weather Channel.

The hurricane (Bill) turned into a tropical storm with high winds and loads of rain but no significant damage compared to 6 years ago. We do not get many hurricanes here but weather is changing everywhere. Hope this will be the first and last for 2009. Cruises inport this week can expect great weather.

We survived the hurricane as it stayed about 30-50 miles offshore; I believe it was a marginal Category 2 as it passed us. Lots of rain and winds about 50 MPH but nothing that we couldn't handle.

Penny, I walked by Cows and Theodore today and everything looked OK. :p The water level was high and lots of debris in the water but no noticeable damage along the waterfront.

The hurricane (Bill) turned into a tropical storm with high winds and loads of rain but no significant damage compared to 6 years ago. We do not get many hurricanes here but weather is changing everywhere. Hope this will be the first and last for 2009. Cruises inport this week can expect great weather.

That's good. Glad it's all over for you. We were in Halifax the day after TS Nicole in Oct of 2004. We had a rough ride to Halifax!! We also were there the day they didn't fire the cannon at the Citadel. My husband was so disappointed!! The blasting caps were held up at the US border!! We will come again in Oct of this year and hope to be able to be there for the firing of the cannon!!

I just found this great post. We will be in Halifax on 10-1 from 9-6. FRED sounds wonderful, but I have a few questions. Is it like a hop on, hop off shuttle? Is there a stop at the Maritime Museum where they have the Titantic exhibit? Also, we want to go to the cemetary where the victims were buried and maybe have a short tour there. Would FRED take us to either of these locations?:cool:

I just found this great post. We will be in Halifax on 10-1 from 9-6. FRED sounds wonderful, but I have a few questions. Is it like a hop on, hop off shuttle? Is there a stop at the Maritime Museum where they have the Titantic exhibit? Also, we want to go to the cemetary where the victims were buried and maybe have a short tour there. Would FRED take us to either of these locations?:cool:

It's basically a free city transit bus that does a 40 loop of the general city core. There are numerous stops including one near the Maritime Museum (which is only 10 minute walk from the ship). It doesn't go near the cemetary as it is a few miles away.

We are going to do our own pub crawl in Sept. Can you suggest some pubs near the pier that we should try. We are in our 30's, not looking to party just nice pubs. The wife is always partial to Irish Pubs.

Thanks

We are going to do our own pub crawl in Sept. Can you suggest some pubs near the pier that we should try. We are in our 30's, not looking to party just nice pubs. The wife is always partial to Irish Pubs.

Thanks

There is a great Irish pub not far from the pier "The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse" http://www.oldtriangle.com/

Also there is O'Carroll's (this is an upscale pub) http://www.ocarrolls.com/ and Durty Nelly's http://www.durtynellys.ca/

These are all within an easy walk of the pier.

There are also many other pubs in the area. Have fun! :D

Archived