Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!

Danno

Picked up the travel section of my favorite Toronto paper this morning while enjoying a coffee during my morning walk...and what do I find?? Air Transat Holidays offering a free set of Walkie Talkies to anyone who books a cruise on Celebrity or RCL...aaarrrrgggggg!!!

Why not a free pre cruise dinner?? Maybe a bottle of wine while on board?? Perhaps a free excursion?? Something to enhance the cruise experience....Nooooooo!! These marvels of marketing want to unleash a bunch of rude people with rude devices on unsuspecting passengers who still thought cruising had a bit of class left, perhaps cruising was something other than a floating NASCAR weekend!!

Keep cruising special...throw a walkie talkie and/or the user, overboard!!

[i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=3][color=indigo]I agree, Danno! What a terrible item to use to promote sales![/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=3][color=#4b0082][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=3][color=#4b0082]Jill[/color][/size][/font][/i]

*Bleep*-Come In FreesiaE
*Bleep* FreesiaE here, what's going on?
*Bleep* Well,I am a mere 50 feet from you, but rather than have a normal conversation, I thought we could have one so everyone can hear us
*Bleep* Sounds like a good idea. Perhaps we could talk about something grossly personal, like my rash
*Bleep* How is it?
*Bleep* It's still spreading-however, it is starting to ooze now. I think it is starting to get infected. I was hoping to get into the pool and
*Bleep* YOU'RE BREAKING UP FREESIAE-TALK LOUDER ABOUT YOUR RASH SO THAT EVERYONE CAN CATCH EVERYTHING YOU ARE SAYING
*Bleep*I SAID I WAS HOPING TO GET INTO THE POOL AND SWIM, BUT I DON'T KNOW
*Bleep*OH HECK, GO FOR IT WHO IS GOING TO KNOW?
*Bleep* YOU'RE RIGHT! THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, AND THANK GOODNESS FOR MY FREE SET OF WALKIE TALKIES!

First off agree with you re: the walkie-talkies. Sheeeez, give me a break.

Now what I want to know is how the heck can you "read the travel section of my favorite Toronto paper while enjoying a coffee during my morning walk".

Heck, I can't even walk and chew gum at the same time. :eek: :D

*Bleep* How's the hot tub?
*Bleep* Pretty warm. There's some cute kids in the pool with me.
*Bleep* Kids?
*Bleep* Babies. They seem to be enjoying it.
*Bleep* Oh jeeze!
*Bleep* What?
*Bleep* Are they're wearing diapers?
*Bleep* Yes, why?
*Bleep* That's gross!
*Bleep* It's not too bad. They seem pretty water tight.
*Bleep* I've changed my mind. I'm not going to join you.
*Bleep* Jokes on them. I'm the one with the rash!

Hey Doc, I'm going with you in November...I hope that I can get on board before you. If you have trouble with the gum chewing, etc, then you will probably need a walkie talkie to get directions up the ramp!

I wonder, Danno, is it perhaps time for you to try another product, Seabourn, perhaps? I truly mean no offense. Not trying to start anything, I promise. It just seems that you lean toward the Emily Post crowd in your tastes. I think you are fighting a losing battle against popular culture.

Danno? Naw, he just has a finely tuned sense of what is vastly annoying to the majority of people who cruise X. I think the people using these devices would also be the people who suffer from withdrawal when they realize, horrors, that the cell phones they so lovingly packed, won't work onboard. But as soon as we dock in Key West they are all sitting around by the pool screaming into said cell phones like we really enjoy listening to their conversations instead of the ocean...NOT!!!

Hi folks,

What Danno said!

By the way, for those who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, consider buying the companion product to the walkie talkie: the chompie trompie :D

OOOEEE :D :D Bob and Phyl

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=deepskyblue]Don't even get me started!!![/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#00bfff][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#00bfff]Next, they'll be giving out suggestions for "door decorating". ARGH![/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#00bfff]Let's not forget about ideas to smuggle in a case of hard liquor.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#00bfff]Oh, and what ever happened to the wet t-shirt contests?[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#00bfff]Some children's people..............[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#00bfff]Happy Sailing![/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#00bfff]Romy:rolleyes: [/color][/size][/font][/b]

Oh for Pete's sake, I forgot about the Nascar T-shirts.:( Couldn't they give those out instead???

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=mediumturquoise]Happy Sailing!!![/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#48d1cc][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#48d1cc]Romy:p [/color][/size][/font][/b]

[quote name='tuggers']I think the people using these devices would also be the people who suffer from withdrawal when they realize, horrors, that the cell phones they so lovingly packed, won't work onboard. But as soon as we dock in Key West they are all sitting around by the pool screaming into said cell phones like we really enjoy listening to their conversations instead of the ocean...NOT!!![/QUOTE]
Gail, you just reminded me of an incident that happened on the Century as we were leaving Key West. We had a sky suite and I was out on our balcony watching the departure and some yahoo was on the deck right above me SCREAMING into her phone about how she could see "whoever" waving at her. She went on and on until we were out of port, totally ruining the moment for me.

One question I would love to have answered. Why, oh why, do people think they have to SCREAM into the phone? Are they really scared that the other person can't hear them, or are they trying to show off to anyone within hearing distance. I, for one, would not like for others to be able to ease-drop on my conversations.:confused: And, I hope that I am respectful enough to not invade other's space and add to the noise pollution that's so out of control!

There, I got it out of my system. Thanks for letting me vent.:D

Garry

Garry,

O.T. Well here is the answer, from one who has engineered, furnished, and installed the wonderful all digital, high bandwidth, telecommunications network that you use today. People shout into the mouthpiece in order to get the voice to carry over that piece of string that is between the two cans. Consider yourself in the know now!!! ;)

Bill

[quote name='gkm']
One question I would love to have answered. Why, oh why, do people think they have to SCREAM into the phone? Are they really scared that the other person can't hear them

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wv4891']Garry,

O.T. Well here is the answer, from one who has engineered, furnished, and installed the wonderful all digital, high bandwidth, telecommunications network that you use today. People shout into the mouthpiece in order to get the voice to carry over that piece of string that is between the two cans. Consider yourself in the know now!!! ;)

Bill[/QUOTE]
Gosh, Bill--wow, I'm speechless. That's why??? I didn't know....:eek: ....:D :D :D

Garry

We love ya! And we'd cruise with you anytime. Unfortunately, as the cruise industry continues towards the mega and mega-mega ships, it means more and more passengers on board. And you'll continue to run into more and more of these kinds of things.

Let's hope Celebrity hangs onto the "smaller" ships.

~Host Anne

[quote name='CajunLiner']I wonder, Danno, is it perhaps time for you to try another product, Seabourn, perhaps?[/QUOTE]

No, not yet...I'm not willing to give in to the knuckle draggers. Besides why should I have to leave a line I enjoy because people can't observe simple respect for those around them. Get rid of them...I like it here.

They should be made to walk the plank, with their walkie talkies tied around their ankles and beeping all the way down!!! awHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!! [img]http://www.avatarity.com/avatars/2/28/2806.jpg[/img]

[quote name='gkm']Gail, you just reminded me of an incident that happened on the Century as we were leaving Key West. We had a sky suite and I was out on our balcony watching the departure and some yahoo was on the deck right above me SCREAMING into her phone about how she could see "whoever" waving at her. She went on and on until we were out of port, totally ruining the moment for me.

[/QUOTE]
I am sorry for your ruined moment.

We experienced even worse situation.

Imagine this...May, Splendour of the Seas, shore excursion in Marseilles. Full bus of people. Somebody calls on the cell phone of one of the participant. She picks up the phone (she was probably from Spain), everybody naturally expects her to say "sorry, I'll call you later", but she starts talking loudly in Spanish.

Our tour guide didn't know what to do and continued excursion.

It took her about 15 minutes to finish a conversation!!! :eek:

These new ships are so huge that families need to keep in touch and the use of walkie talkies is the way to go. Cruising has come out of the dark ages and we need to move with the times. Live and let live. People usually are discreet but there is just no pleasing some people. Its the same old, same old.

Archived