After 7/11 Crown Princess List CC members join

Sandytoes

This is baffling me and need to know --

Why, several days after the 7\11 Crown Princess unexpected 15* list passengers are now just joining the Cruise Critics boards?

Wouldn't you think that if you have cruise plans, questions relating to the New Crown, covering everything from dining to entertainment, you'd be a member way before the cruise.... ?

Most are telling us about their horrible experience.

Would they have signed on to CC if their cruise was any different?

Just wondering......

This is baffling me and need to know --

Why, several days after the 7\11 Crown Princess unexpected 15* list passengers are now just joining the Cruise Critics boards?

Wouldn't you think that if you have cruise plans, questions relating to the New Crown, covering everything from dining to entertainment, you'd be a member way before the cruise.... ?

Most are telling us about their horrible experience.

Just wondering......

I don't know if this would be a complete answer, but it may apply. I read the boards for a long, long time before I posted. I really didn't feel I had much information to share since I didn't have any cruises under my belt. I didn't know enough to have any complicated questions and usually found the answers I needed by scrolling through threads or doing searches.

It could be that folks read the boards before they cruised but weren't compelled to join. Now they have returned and feel the need to share their experience in a forum where they learned from others before their cruise. Just a thought and probably wouldn't apply to everyone.

Sandy I have noticed that too. In my case I joined in 2003, found this site in 2002 and I have been cruising since 2000. I did not post during 2002-2003, just did alot of searching and learning ALL of forums on this site; then I started to ask questions. It does seem like there is an awfully lot of new Crown posters since the incident happened though.

Marilyn

No they would not. People are much more likely to post when they have something to complain about. If you ever worked as a Customer Services representative, you know that people call or write when they have something to complain about, and not when they are happy customers. Sad but true.

We have seen a tremendous amout of negativety on the Celebrity board recently, all related to either POD problems with Celebrity's M-class vessels or to the NORO virus. Almost every such topic is started by somebody who is posting for the very first time...

Just by looking at the titles of the various topics on the Celebrity board, you would start to think that Celebrity must be a horrible cruise line. Yet when a member posted a poll, asking people to rate their Celebrity cruise, 76% picked 'the best ever'. Only 6% responded negatively. That strongly contradicts the titles of the various topics... :o

I was wondering that while reading the last few threads on the subject. Are people registering just so they can complain?

I remember going on cruise critic to find out about a ship I was going on (along with cruise diva, etc.). I didn't even think about going on the boards (I wasn't a bb type of person). Then we booked our Hawaiian cruise and I had had questions about the weather conditions, etc. Found out there was a bulletin board and checked it out and been posting ever since (except when we had computer problems...which turned out to be when cc started having theirs). Also found some other boards to add to my "addiction". I guess I'm one of those Compulsive Vacation Planner types.

Before our last cruise, some people who had been on the IP mentioned that a "Cruise Critic" meet was listed in the Patters. A few passengers showed up, thinking it was a group who would be there to take criticisms about the cruise.:rolleyes: On our cruise, the Patters mentioned under the heading of "Cruise Critic" meet that it was for registered members of the website.

Very good question,

why wait 2-3 years after lurking or whatever the time and then register when a tragedy happens just to put in your 2 cents??? :(

Is your question for Marilyn?

I'm not sure who you are referring to as lurking 2-3 years, but in my post above I outlined that I didn't post for the first time until I had something to share. That could be the case here. A lot of the new posters aren't complaining, they are relaying what happened, so they have something to share and give back to the boards.

I told a lot of people about CC on the ship. I'm not surprised people are joining. When you go through something like this you bond with those you went through the experience with.

My family loves me, but Carol and I share a traumatic event and it strengthened our friendship. I think a lot of us feel that way. I would not be hard on the new members. Sure, maybe some are going over the top, but I am positive most just want to talk to people who have been through the same thing.

And Nliedel shares yet another smart and level headed responce:) I've enjoyed reading your posts and I'm happy both you and Carol are safe. As pointed out on a different post 3100 strangers now share a huge piece of their life history. I think many new people are here to vent, and work thru their feelings:) Let's all be kind folks....we can only imagine what it was like for everyone on the Crown......

Personally, I find it interesting to hear from those who were on

the 7/11 Crown Princess, whether it's their first post or their one-thousandth

post.

I've seen lots of complaining-type posts from those who were not on

the Crown, too.

Actually, this is a private messege board and there are rules here. Not flaming, just a note.

i totaly agree with you.

i just have a problem when people on these boards

have absolutely no respect for people who do not follow the

'pro' princess line. i am not talking about idiotic, borderline libelous statements. i am talking about people who may just have a different take on subjects, presented on these boards.

i am truly happy that you are well and that we all may continue to read your insightful well written postings.

NJgal, from our sailing said she is using the CC boards as therapy. I found that to be a very interesting take and right on for me. I spent the day here Thursday just posting and reading. I think I did that too. I also have had problems sleeping since the incident (no, that is not a comment preceeding a lawsuit). My doc ordered some new sleeping pill for me that is none habit forming (Gene is at the store getting it now). I keep waking up thinking the room is tilting. Sheesh!

I believe it is natural to share in crisis. I agree that it would be nice if people could be more friendly, helpful and forthcoming when things are going along fine... but most of us are caught up in our own little world (myself included). This would at least partially explain new members joining to tell of their scary experience-but not for the very info the boards are great at providing.

There can be other reasons too. For instance, I changed my screen name (forgot pin, had trouble with pin request) and so I seem like a new member, when in fact I've been a member for a few years. I admit, not a very active member... but I've had a fair share of posts surrounding previous cruises.

Also, many are intimidated to post because responses can often be very harsh. It is easier to post harsh words when we're annonymous- so these boards can be scary for many of us... but the wealth of info keeps people lurking.

From a different prospective... I vacation frequently and sometimes find that I do better to downplay my wonderful adventures to acquantainces, friends and even close family. They generally grow tired of hearing the glorious details of my fantastic cruises and land vacations. Yes, they'll listen to a few minutes and enjoy it- but not much beyond that, so I've learned to keep it relatively short. I've been on the listening end- and though I have a passion for travel... can understand that it might not entice those who cannot (or care not to) travel.

Yet, I can tell you that each one of those people are on the edge of their seats to hear more details of the mishap on my latest trip on the 7/11 Crown voyage. They've called me several times and have asked all kinds of questions too. I'm not complaining- that's actually fine by me, as I feel the need to express my anxieties.

However, I do find a large group of people who are an exception to the above... those who are traveling to a similar destination or mode of transport in the near future. Several of these people DO NOT want to hear any negative comments or about bad things happening. They want to hear everything was wonderful. Again, it is quite understandable... I've been there and it can be unsettling and upsetting. Many people who fall in this last category may frequent travel/cruising boards, such as this one.

I've fallen into all these categories. That of the limited interest in wonderfully detailed trip reports, that of the complainer when a trip goes awry and also of the person who resents the complaints about a place or trip that I recently took, plan to take or have taken in the past and loved. I don't think I'm alone in having acted differently when I'm presented with different circumstances.

The only answer I have is an obvious one... we humans are imperfect. The very things that annoy me one day- I find myself doing another day. It depends where I'm 'at', I guess.

If nothing else, human imperfection makes for great conversation and debate.

Dealing with different people's views, attitudes and comments I've learned that a little tolerance goes a long way:)

I told a lot of people about CC on the ship. I'm not surprised people are joining. When you go through something like this you bond with those you went through the experience with.

My family loves me, but Carol and I share a traumatic event and it strengthened our friendship. I think a lot of us feel that way. I would not be hard on the new members. Sure, maybe some are going over the top, but I am positive most just want to talk to people who have been through the same thing.

This is so VERY true. There may be complainers - I haven't finished catching up on page 1 of the Princess board yet today - but for the most part, people are sharing what happened to them, believing (correctly, I think) that other cruisers WANT to know these things.

I know that *I* spent the first few hours after the List going into people's cabins, seeing if they were ok, helping them pick things up, hanging out in areas with lots of scared people, asking anyone with a bandage or small child if they were all right. Sure, I am NORMALLY a friendly person, but I wouldn't just walk up to a stranger and ask if they were all right. Tuesday, that's what many people were doing.

Crisis and fear are deep bonds. Dolores and Carole are fantastic medical professionals, but the incident brought out their deepest instincts to serve and protect. I always care about other people's children - that's why I'm a teacher - but this made me very aware of wanting everything to be all right.

I cannot express how glad I am that my children were NOT on this cruise with me. I simply cannot begin to imagine the feeling of not knowing where they were and how they were at a time like this.

Oh, and Nancy's right about another thing.

I told COUNTLESS people on board about Cruise Critic. I always do, when I cruise, but this time noticeably more, long before The List. :)

I made name tags for everyone in our CC group, and I wore mine long after most people took theirs off, and lots of people asked about it. A couple even said that they READ CC but didn't post! Most recognized my CC name. ;)

Perhaps because they have been through a horrific experience and felt that they might find understanding in sharing with other cruisers?

As to only posting their "horrible experiences," I think it's natural to post about the highlights of one's trip rather than the mundane events -- and this certainly would be a highlight.

Even though my name says I joined on a certain date, I actually joined when AOL first did away with their boards and this forum Cruise Critic became the place to post. I used to read it on AOL starting around 1998. I believe it was around 2000 that I first joined CC when it went WWW. But, I was under another name. I re-joined with another user name, hence the later join-date in my profile.

Sandy I have noticed that too. In my case I joined in 2003, found this site in 2002 and I have been cruising since 2000. I did not post during 2002-2003, just did alot of searching and learning ALL of forums on this site; then I started to ask questions. It does seem like there is an awfully lot of new Crown posters since the incident happened though.

Marilyn

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but for the last day or so I've had to sign in just toread the boards. I'm thinking that other people who in the past might have just read as a guest might have registered in order to read the information about the Princess list, then since they had joined anyway they might have decided to post?

Now tonight I notice the boards are back to open accesseven without registration. I wonder if the requirement to sign in was just an attempt to control the number of people acccessing the board during the first flush of interest in the list incident.

I continue to be baffled at the number of first-time posters who admit their first post comes after a long time surfing CC. And when their first post is to voice a complaint, I take it with a very large grain of salt. If they've been surfing CC pre-cruise, why are they not asking questions, etc from others about various aspects of the cruise experience? One poster said he'd been surfing for 4 years and "never felt the need to post" until the Crown incident this week. IMO if you've been cruising for the past few years, there's a good chance the readership at CC could benefit from your cruising experience. Message boards are about sharing information rather than merely a forum to voice complaints about a recent voyage!

I don't think that all of the first-time posters were complaining. Some of them wrote about their horrific experiences, but didn't do it as a complaint. If telling bad / negative things is a *complaint* to you, then I think that it's your perception that needs correction, not their posts.

I sometimes think that "long-time" CCer's are a little hypercritical of new posters.

JMO YMMV.

The word "you" in this post refers to absolutely no one specifically. Or generally. Just anyone. :)

I don't think that all of the first-time posters were complaining. Some of them wrote about their horrific experiences, but didn't do it as a complaint. If telling bad / negative things is a *complaint* to you, then I think that it's your perception that needs correction, not their posts.

I sometimes think that "long-time" CCer's are a little hypercritical of new posters.

JMO YMMV.

The word "you" in this post refers to absolutely no one specifically. Or generally. Just anyone. :)

Thanks! And I should have added to my post there are always exceptions to every rule. Thank God for complaining people. If everyone posted every cruise is absolutely fabulous, I would have wound up sailing on lines I wish I hadn't!

I just can't help but wonder how someone can surf for 4 years without ever once sharing his/her cruise experiences. ???

Archived