Kamika .... worst ever.

tripman

we saw Kamika on Caribbean Princess a little over 2 years ago on our Honeymoon cruise...while they have not been the best on board entertainment we have ever had we did really enjoy them...strange that so many dislike them so much...

I enjoyed watching them on the CB back in '05.

Kamika ( if that is her name) has a beautiful singing voice.

Her husband is a talented guitarist.

I was looking forward to seeing them again on my '08 CB cruise.

To my surprise they did the same exact act.

It just would have been nice to see something different.

Still, we enjoyed watching these two talented people.

I am so glad someone started this thread, because we saw Kamika 4 years ago - well we walked out after 20 minutes. They are not funny and we find them positively embarassing to watch. When I saw them walking about on CB this week I could not believe that Princess was still employing them. That said, we enjoyed all the shows - Piano Man, Caribbean Caliente, and Do you want to dance. Sarge was amazing, especially when he hosted the "So you want to be a rockstar - with Wavelength." We love James Michaels too, the impressionist Jason Niehaus was pretty good, the jugglers were quite good too. The hypnotist always fascinates me. We did not like Bert Stratton as much as other pianists on other ships. I was disappointed with Dan Styne, but I thought all the cruise staff worked very hard.

We had mixed feelings about Kamika. They were really very funny although kind of raunchy. So they won't be everyone's cup of tea. As long as people come to their shows (and it's quite a few) they won't get rid of them.

Would I pay to see just them on land? No. On the cruise they seemed just fine. A lot of energy, a small amount of talent, a few laughs. That's all I was looking for, or expected, so I was happy with their show.

I did, and really enjoyed them. I get tired of the same old, same old.......... Different strokes, etc. :)

Pia

I would think booking entertainment on any ship is going to be hit and miss due to the differences in ages and nationalities. Kamika is definitely more of the British type of humor. Are they bad? I didn't think so, but I personally got a lot of what they did.

As far as the Princess singers/dancers -- we have had good ones and not so good. It is just the luck of the draw. On our recent Sea Princess trip which was based in the UK, the actual Princess singers/dancers were primarily from the US and were excellent.

Just as there are different types of music for different folks, the entertainment on a Princess ship may be great to me ... not so great to you. That's why there are LOTS of choices, especially on a ship the size of the Caribbean Princess.

If you don't like something -- that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But to bash a performer that other people enjoy is just plain crass.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Isn't James Lay Kamika's Little Sasauge. I just wish the performers would get a new act so that we who have seen them don't know all the jokes. But just like the CD's it's the same jokes all the time it gets a little old .

I thought that the Kamika act was pretty good, his guitar was fabulous and the Tina Turner ending, although it is getting old, was a riot. The show is a tad off color, but so funny. They might need some new material. Bert is Jim Carey with a piano, he will be missed. Sarge is in another class all together. You can't compare those acts. He is top notch and always different.

Isn't James Lay Kamika's Little Sasauge. I just wish the performers would get a new act so that we who have seen them don't know all the jokes. But just like the CD's it's the same jokes all the time it gets a little old .

I guess this is one show you won't a miss.

You can tell the punch line before it happens....;)..:eek:..:rolleyes:

Sad isn't it.

Funny you should mention - the same jokes.

While on our CB cruise three different entertainers said the exact same joke...:rolleyes: We thought we were watching Groundhog Day....:eek:

What gives with that? Can't they come up with their own material?

Or do you think Princess requires the entertainers to sign a contract stipulating - You must say the same thing as XYZ and absolutely no changes whatsoever to your performance.

I guess this is one show you won't a miss.

You can tell the punch line before it happens....;)..:eek:..:rolleyes:

Sad isn't it.

Funny you should mention - the same jokes.

While on our CB cruise three different entertainers said the exact same joke...:rolleyes: We thought we were watching Groundhog Day....:eek:

What gives with that? Can't they come up with their own material?

Or do you think Princess requires the entertainers to sign a contract stipulating - You must say the same thing as XYZ and absolutely no changes whatsoever to your performance.

That little sausage joke is getting really old.

I never expect too much from the shows. It is extremely hard to satisfy the likes of over 2000 diverse people on a ship, so they tend to go for bland acts. But, if you want special entertainment, there are plenty of themed cruises out there that serve this purpose.

I have lots of theater friends so I usually go to see what horrible shows that corporate puts together. The 'Broadway Tribute' on Celebrity was one of the worst. It is not that the actors are bad, it is that the show design was terrible. It was obviously done by someone who never saw any of the shows the included and just threw music together.

I have to admit...as much as we like Princess, we would love it more if they would upgrade their entertainment on ALL of their ships. We are on the Caribbean Princess at the end of September. Hopefully Kamika will be left behind in FLL. Best entertainment on any line is "Carnival" everyone else is playing for 2nd place.

Personally, I don't like much of the entertainment on any ship I've been on. Most seems quite second-rate. The classical or serious music players have been good, though. I've never liked the comedians.

But I definitely didn't like Carnival's entertainment. Mostly they had Vegas-type shows with girls dressed in skimpy outfits, high heels, feather boas, and they didn't dance - just walked quickly all over the stage. Hardly talent. Luckily there are other choices for the evenings, so there is still something to do.

Most of the CDs get their jokes off the internet and by the time we get on board we have already heard them many times over. They really need to get a clue and plan some of their own stuff or not do jokes at all.

The worst act I've seen on Princess was a magician/comedian named Lorenzo Clark. He was on the Crown three years ago and was awful - he ran a 10 minute video before he came on of himself with a load of D List celebrities.

We were on the Dawn in March and lo and behold he was again on the ship, still playing the same lousy video. As soon as we walked in and saw the video palying we turned and walked out.

We DID mention on the Crown comment card how bad we thought he was - well he's still there, just demoted apparently to a smaller ship.

Most of the CDs get their jokes off the internet and by the time we get on board we have already heard them many times over. They really need to get a clue and plan some of their own stuff or not do jokes at all.

I swear I've been hearing the same jokes since my very first cruise in the 1970s! (The shower jokes, the toilet jokes, the "salt air shrinks your clothes" jokes.....) I just tune them out.

The worst act I've seen on Princess was a magician/comedian named Lorenzo Clark. He was on the Crown three years ago and was awful - he ran a 10 minute video before he came on of himself with a load of D List celebrities.

We were on the Dawn in March and lo and behold he was again on the ship, still playing the same lousy video. As soon as we walked in and saw the video palying we turned and walked out.

We DID mention on the Crown comment card how bad we thought he was - well he's still there, just demoted apparently to a smaller ship.

The acts sign a contract with Princess for a specific amount of time. If Princess receives enough complaints about them, I'm sure they won't renew their contracts. But until then they will move them from ship to ship. One performer that people seem to love is Mauricio. He is usually in the atrium lounge playing and singing. I personally think he's terrible. I hope he isn't on the Golden when we go in November.

I swear I've been hearing the same jokes since my very first cruise in the 1970s! (The shower jokes, the toilet jokes, the "salt air shrinks your clothes" jokes.....) I just tune them out.

Is that what it is? And to think.....I blamed the laundry! :D

Pia

The acts sign a contract with Princess for a specific amount of time. If Princess receives enough complaints about them, I'm sure they won't renew their contracts. But until then they will move them from ship to ship. One performer that people seem to love is Mauricio. He is usually in the atrium lounge playing and singing. I personally think he's terrible. I hope he isn't on the Golden when we go in November.

I remember Mauricio from the Golden!! When he started out playing and singing early in the night he was ok, but later on he got a "little tippsy":p Always wondered how many glasses of brandy he had by the end of the night:eek:

I remember Mauricio from the Golden!! When he started out playing and singing early in the night he was ok, but later on he got a "little tippsy":p Always wondered how many glasses of brandy he had by the end of the night:eek:

You mean it isn't actually water he was drinking during his performance :eek: ?? Maybe that's why I couldn't understand his singing (words). They always seemed slurred.

I was not happy with "The Kid"....he introduced himself as "the retarded magic show"....I work with disabled people, and we send them on cruises all the time. I would hate to think that one of them would have heard that. I don't expect totally political correctness....but by now we ought to know that "retarded" is not a word to throw around.

I know off topic but on my computer this post shows as 0 posts, if this is the first post, by this poster, wouldn't it show as #1 post?

Archived