Now this is what I call a list!

HMSDingy

I've hadn't seen the photo before either and I've been heavily on this board the last week. My hubby had seen the news story about it and mentioned it to me the other day.

BTW, I wish people would knock off this nonsense about searching here. With all the threads generated in a single day, it's hard to look at each and other one of them to see if it covers your exact topic. Even if you try doing a search, often you end up with a blank screen.

I couldn't imagine almost 5,000 cars on this ship. Would love to see photos of salvage efforts. When I was a teenager we visited N.Y.C. for the first time. I remember looking down at the Stockholm after it had limped into a pier. The bow was just crumpled and looked like a giant meteor had hit it. I will never forget it.

Do I take this as a slap in the face....or ignore it. Ignore it. Isn't the first time I've seen multiple posts on the same subject but nobody disses the OP.:(

Yep...Some people on this board can be quite RUDE. A few days ago I posted my experience with Princess and the "list". The first poster who responded accused me of wanting answers NOW,NOW,NOW and that 400 people had posted the same thing before me. Really??? 400 people had the same thing happen to them? I don't think so. I was also told to "get over it." Maybe because I only posted about 70 times in almost 5 years my experiences count less than someone who has read 400 posts in a few days.

Anyway. One has to laugh!

Just one thing

Has anyone actually posted a picture of the Crown list, as it happened, fron onboard, or, better still, a video.

I realise that the majority would have been "hanging on" so as to speak, but it would be interesting to view the horizon, etc, and there is usually someone who manages to get clicking, even in the most dire circumstances.

Just one thing

Has anyone actually posted a picture of the Crown list, as it happened, fron onboard, or, better still, a video.

I realise that the majority would have been "hanging on" so as to speak, but it would be interesting to view the horizon, etc, and there is usually someone who manages to get clicking, even in the most dire circumstances.

There is a post regarding a parent and two teenage daughters. Poster was up top and daughters were on 7, I believe. Poster has a link to another site where he/she posted a still shot from a video during the list. He/she refuses to post the video in tact, because someone would use it for ill purposes.

I tried to open another browser window to search it for you, but I got this message (instead of the blank screen, wow):

There seems to have been a problem with the Cruise Critic Message Boards database.

Please try again by clicking the
button in your web browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our
, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

edited to add: this is it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=385782

Just one thing

Don2738 posted a review and these pics here Crown Princess review with pictures of the ship during the list.

I think this is what trvlcrzy was looking for? Hope so anyway!

I apoligize for my fellow countryman's rudeness, and am glad you posted it. I hadn't seen it either.

Forgive the OP, he's had too much of the slag heap or the super stack!

I'm from Canada as well...must be because I'm from Quebec:D

Definately!!!:D But we can forgive you for that!!:D

Crusin Chick you're right about the dreaded white screen of death. 90% of the time is not worth waiting around to get in here, and searching takes up more time if it works at all.........

Thanks UK Jeff for asking that, I was wondering the same

More than a few years ago, this is the type of ship I would have to get on to inspect cars coming from Asia. The cargo, very small cars to medium sized trucks are chained down, much like you see on the street when a flatbed truck picks up a car from the road. 3-4 chain downs per car.

Every ship I have been on, positions the cars pointed bow to aft, except those few on internal ramps. This means whatever cars onboard are tilted sideways and some cars may have broken loose.

My question is the number of cars on the ship. From the photo, this ship is riding exceptionally high in the water. Car carriers like this ship, return to Asia totally empty. My thought is that somehow the ship’s ballast somehow shifted.

By the way, I have seen other postings, but can’t remember on what board.

>>>Quote:

Originally Posted by JLC@SD

I think I remember reading that Mazdas were aboard.

>>>Well then, this is not as big a tragedy as it first appeared is it?

Just so you understand the nature of this situation, I have personal knowledge of these ships and the people who man these vessels. About 20 years ago, a load of Toyotas came across the Pacific and was caught in a large storm. Back then, they were company ships, so everyone on the ship was an employee of Toyota and loyalty was how you moved up the corporate ladder. Anyway, the ship was caught in this storm for several days and some watertight doors failed. As a result, the bottom two decks of cars were ruined by water damage and the ship’s captain killed himself before they made their first port. At the time, the suicide was not viewed as unusual for the circumstances.

>>>Quote:

Originally Posted by JLC@SD

I think I remember reading that Mazdas were aboard.

>>>Well then, this is not as big a tragedy as it first appeared is it?

Just so you understand the nature of this situation, I have personal knowledge of these ships and the people who man these vessels. About 20 years ago, a load of Toyotas came across the Pacific and was caught in a large storm. Back then, they were company ships, so everyone on the ship was an employee of Toyota and loyalty was how you moved up the corporate ladder. Anyway, the ship was caught in this storm for several days and some watertight doors failed. As a result, the bottom two decks of cars were ruined by water damage and the ship’s captain killed himself before they made their first port. At the time, the suicide was not viewed as unusual for the circumstances.

Having grown up in Japan and having a fairly comprehensive knowledge of Japanese culture and having a Japanese mother I can tell you that the captains suicide would be considered honorable and not at all unexpected. Even today it would not be shocking. AT ALL. Sad, yes; shocking, no. I wasn't talking about the crew, who were removed from the ship several days ago. I was talking about losing a load of Mazdas and sarcastically questioning whether that constituted a tragedy. Please read and comprehend the post before your unfounded indignation jumps up and bites you in the ass.

Having grown up in Japan and having a fairly comprehensive knowledge of Japanese culture and having a Japanese mother I can tell you that the captains suicide would be considered honorable and not at all unexpected. Even today it would not be shocking. AT ALL. Sad, yes; shocking, no. I wasn't talking about the crew, who were removed from the ship several days ago. I was talking about losing a load of Mazdas and sarcastically questioning whether that constituted a tragedy. Please read and comprehend the post before your unfounded indignation jumps up and bites you in the ass.

Thank you for talking about this practice in Japan. I've read about it, but never thought to associate it with something like this.

.....more information including the probable cause of the list:

The Cougar Ace likely had discharged too much water from ballast tanks at the bottom of the vessel, causing it to suddenly list in the space of 10 minutes, according to Beuerman. He said company officials believe the ship rolled on the swell of the sea while the crew was adjusting the ballast tank, which regulates the ship's weight and balance.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060728/listing_cargo_ship.html?.v=1

• 4 weeks later...

IN BRIEF / ALASKA

Workers Straighten Ship Full of New Cars

From Times Wire Reports

August 27, 2006

Crews have righted a ship loaded with new cars and SUVs that had tilted onto its side a month ago in the north Pacific.

The Cougar Ace, which had been listing severely south of Alaska's Aleutian Islands, is being prepared for a tow to Portland, Ore., the Anchorage Daily News reported.

The ship listed to its port side July 23 as its crew was attempting to adjust the ship's ballast water. The Cougar Ace has been moored northwest of Dutch Harbor since Aug. 8, when tugboats pulled the vessel into the port. It was righted Thursday.

Archived